Hell or High Water

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I wasn't surprised when she ate more of the escargot, but no more shrimp.

"Oh, my God!" she moaned when she bit into her lamb chop. "I've never had anything so good in my life."

"Try this," I said, and cut a piece of my steak for her.

Her eyes lit up and she moaned again. "It melts in my mouth. What's that sauce?"

"Au Poivre. Peppercorns, brandy, cream, and mushrooms."

"It's better than my lamb."

I laughed when she gazed at my filet longingly.

"How about we share. Give me a chop and I'll give you some steak?" I offered. I had barely finished my question when her lamb chop fell onto my plate.

I laughed at her excitement and gave her half of my filet.

She took a sip of the red wine I'd ordered for dinner, and she looked as if she discovered a new world.

"Cole, this is all so good. I never knew food could be worth these prices. Holy crap!"

"Well, it's not for every date. Special occasions mostly."

"You take your dates here? I've never heard of this place."

"Sometimes. There are times I'll go to Applebee's or Chili's too."

She smiled and wolfed down her meal as if she hadn't eaten in a month.

Later, we walked into my kitchen, and she kicked off her high heels. I looked at her stocking-clad feet and quickly looked away before she caught me. I was too late.

She smiled and said, "I've never had such a wonderful date before. Thank you, Cole."

She hugged me and I had to fight back my moan as she molded herself into my body.

I hadn't felt that way about her in years, yet as I held her in my arms, I wanted her. I had to shake off those feelings as she bounced away to her bedroom.

My old feelings resurfacing was a pitfall I never expected when I agreed to help Ruby. I knew I could manage them, yet admittedly, it was going to be difficult. I wondered when she would go after Aiden.

*****

"Jeez, Cole, have you seen the mortgage rates lately? They're crazy high," Ruby asked one morning.

"They are high for sure, but relatively speaking, they've been too low for too long."

She looked shocked at my answer, "Don't you worry about another bubble bursting?"

"No. I've been thinking about buying lately, and if the market values keep dropping, that will be better for me."

I was impressed when she countered, "With high rates though, you'll have to pay more."

"Sure, initially. But as rates go down, I can refinance later. With a market overvalued, I'd be risking my house being underwater where it's worth less than I paid for it."

She handled the conversation deftly, and I was impressed. I asked, "So, when are you thinking of making another run at Aiden?"

"Who?" she asked.

"Aiden, the guy for whom you're doing all this work."

"Oh? Maybe, another month. I'm not feeling comfortable yet."

I didn't think she had to wait that long, but I didn't care. Hanging out with her more than ever before was fun, and it didn't hurt that we were doing things I liked doing.

"Okay, I'm not sure what else you need to know."

"How about sports? Can you teach me sports next?"

"You know what? Yeah, let's play golf."

I took her to a driving range where we hit a few buckets of balls. She wasn't unathletic and got the ball in the air, so I decided to take her to play a round.

"You're doing very well, Rube. I think we should play a round of golf on the course tomorrow."

"Really?" she chirped. "I don't have any golf clothes. We have to go shopping!"

I groaned. "Shorts and a collared shirt will be fine. All you need are shoes."

"Oh no, Buster. You're taking me to the golf store so I can get a new outfit and shoes and gloves and balls and..."

"Easy, Tigress. Your credit cards are nervous and sweating in your wallet."

"Oh, stop! Let's go shopping."

*****

She came out of the fitting room wearing a fashionable golf skirt, socks, and collared tank top.

"What do you think?" she asked, while she spun side to side in the three-way mirrors, checking herself out.

"You know you look as great as you always do," I answered.

She smiled and said, "You're just a flatterer, but I'll take it all. Don't forget we need to get me matching shoes too."

I laughed and said, "You only need one pair for now. You can get a white pair of athletic shoes and they'll match all of your outfits."

She pouted and walked into the fitting room.

As we walked to the shoe section, she asked, "Why haven't you been dating anyone?"

"It appears as if I'm dating you right now. My calendar's pretty full."

"I'm sorry, Cole. I didn't mean for you to lose your social life as you helped me."

"I could say the same for you, Rube. You're not dating anyone. Hell, you haven't gone out and gotten drunk since my party."

She frowned as she grabbed a pair of spikes off a display.

"I told you I wanted to change my habits."

"And you're doing great. It's just...well, I think you're ready to go out there and grab Aiden before he finds someone else."

She nodded and said, "I get what you're saying. I just don't want to blow it and make my move too soon."

She tried on the shoes and decided she had to see what they looked like while she wore the outfits. I groaned and said, "You go do that, I'm gonna take a look at the drivers over there."

"Okay, I'll come find you when I'm done," she smiled and bounced away.

I walked over to the drivers and after a few minutes, I saw a guy we knew from our circle of friends. He wasn't a close friend, but we knew each other.

"Hey, Cole," he said offering his hand.

"What's up, Chris."

"Usual stuff man. I saw you earlier with that chick Ruby. Did you finally tame her?"

Anger flared, and I said, "What do you mean?"

"Oh, you know. She was wild, Man. I never met a chick that could suck a..."

I didn't let him finish. His words were stopped by my hand grabbing his throat.

"That's my friend, dog shit. You might want to watch what you say about her."

His friend saw what I did and separated us.

"What the fuck, Guys?"

"It's over," I said as I backed away. One of the store staff was getting nearer. "Watch your mouth, Chris."

I turned and saw Ruby standing in the aisle.

"Ruby, I..."

A tear streamed down her cheek.

"I never did anything with that guy, Cole," she meekly told me.

"Doesn't matter to me if you had," I said.

"I think we should go," she said still crying.

"Yeah, I think we've got everything."

We didn't talk about it the rest of the night. I wasn't entirely sure why I felt compelled to defend her so roughly. It was completely out of character for me. I'm not a fighter. Hell, I knew what Ruby was up to when she left the bar with a guy. I knew she didn't care about her reputation.

Maybe, it was that she was trying to change? Maybe I was spending too much time with her and was getting too attached?

*****

The following Saturday, I came home from golf and found Ruby shaking her ass to Taylor Swift cranked up to eleven. She alternated between dusting and using the duster as a microphone as she sang the song.

I watched her perfect ass flex and move until I was caught.

"Jesus, Cole," she shrieked. "You scared the hell out of me."

"Sorry, I did call out to you, but you didn't hear me."

She turned down the music and said, "I'm almost done. I'll keep it down."

"Thanks," I said. "If you want to switch to something good, feel free to crank it back up."

"Whatever. Don't make dinner plans. I'm cooking a pot roast."

I feigned having a heart attack, and said, "Oh, sweet baby Jesus! She's sending me to you, Lord."

"Shut it, Jerk! You know I can cook," she argued.

"Yeah, sure, spaghetti and mac and cheese from a box."

"Well, you're in for a shock then. We eat at six and I want you dressed nicely."

"Okay," I shrugged and took a deep whiff of the air. The roast smelled good, and I was looking forward to dinner.

At six on the dot, I walked into the kitchen and saw candles lit, wine opened, and an amazing looking pot roast served in a bowl with all of the jus, just as I liked it. She must have remembered from when we were kids and she'd come over for dinner.

"Hey, Honey," she said from behind. I turned and my jaw dropped.

She stood before me in a red dress that ended a few inches above her knee, and with a slit up the left thigh. The plunging neckline showed a mouthwatering display of her cleavage, and she wasn't wearing a bra.

"Wow!" I muttered, which made her smile approvingly.

"Sit, Cole. I called your mom for the recipe, and she gave me all of her secrets." She laughed, "She even offered to come over and help me make it just right."

"It looks great," I stuttered.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Nothing," she said. "I just wanted to make your favorite meal to show you how much I appreciate you."

"You could have done that in jeans and a t-shirt. You look like you belong on a runway."

"I wanted to look good for you," she said, showing that shy side of herself again.

We sat and I poured the wine.

"You've knocked everything out of the park so far," I said, meaning it.

I dropped my curiosity and enjoyed the meal. The roast tasted as good as it looked, and the vegetables were fork tender and perfect. The jus tasted exactly like my mom's.

"Wait," I said. "We don't have a pot big enough to make this. What did you use?"

"I told you; your mom gave me all of her secrets. She says the secret to the great juice is her old pan."

I laughed, "You really went all out for me? Thank you."

"You deserve it."

I sopped up the last of what was on my plate with one of the brown and serve rolls; those little buns are the only ones I eat. I watch my carbs a little but, man, those little square buns that look like bread cupcakes are heaven on a plate.

"So, is there a banana cream pie, as well?" I hoped. My favorite was from a chain restaurant called Baker's Square.

She blushed, "Maybe."

I laughed.

"I went to Baker's Square this morning," she confessed.

"if I didn't know any better, I'd say I was being set up for something."

She shrugged her shoulders and went to the fridge.

"Cole, while I cut the pie, please pour us some coffee."

"Sure thing," I said as I glanced at her ass in her curve-hugging dress. I didn't see a panty line and wondered if she wore any undergarments at all.

The pie was great, the coffee excellent, and the topper was the port she poured after we finished.

"Shall we take our drinks to the living room?" she asked, and I followed her into the other room.

She sat on the couch across from me and crossed her legs favoring the side with the slit. It rode so high I knew she was wearing pantyhose. The top of a thigh-high stocking would be noticeable, and all I saw was the shimmering nude fabric covering the sexiest legs I'd ever seen.

She was fidgeting with her hair, and I knew that meant she was nervous.

"What is it, Ruby? Everything was perfect."

"I have a confession to make, Cole."

"Okay."

She let out a deep breath and said, "None of this in the last few months was for Aiden or anyone else. I wanted you to teach me how to be the woman you wanted."

It hit me like a punch in the mouth. I couldn't believe I'd been so blind. I stood and paced the floor.

"Why? I mean, that's what I showed you, but..."

I stopped and glared at her. She was as nervous as I'd ever seen her.

"You want me?" I asked.

"For years," she answered.

"Years?" I shouted. "You never said anything. You never gave me one hint to think that you liked me."

"There have been hints. I mean, two years to find an apartment? I walk around here practically naked sometimes. I told you I wanted to settle down. I just want to settle down with you."

"Why this whole charade? I mean..."

"I knew you'd never ask me out. I also knew I couldn't risk our friendship by throwing myself at you. I couldn't have you think you'd be another quick fling and would hit the street after I was done with you. I had to show you I was interested in you. Interested in being with you, forever."

"You didn't have to fake it."

"I didn't fake anything. I wanted to know what you wanted in a woman, and I wanted to be that woman for you, but I'm still me. Warts and all, but damn it, I love you, Cole. I want to be the perfect woman for you, and I think it's all worked so far. Please, God, tell me it worked."

She looked scared and I had no idea what to do. At that moment, all I could think about was taking her to my bedroom and punishing her properly.

I walked around the couch and stood before her offering my hand. She took it, and I pulled her into my arms.

"I love you too, Ruby."

She pulled my head down and kissed me like I'd never been kissed before. I'd measure all future kisses against the tongue dancing, lip-lock, she thrust upon me that night.

Our lips parted as we broke the kiss.

"Please make love to me, Cole. I need you so badly."

I took her hand and led her to my room. When I turned to kiss her, her dress fell to the floor.

I stepped back and sighed, "You're so beautiful."

She smiled and unsnapped her bra, "I've wanted you for so long, Cole."

"We should have done this years ago," I said as I knelt and slid her hose down.

"It never would have worked, Baby. I wasn't mature enough. I'm still afraid I'm not, so you'll have to..."

"I'm not worried about it," I said and pulled her bare mound into my face.

She had a perfectly symmetrical clamshell pussy. It reminded me of a certain reality star's outer lips, and I didn't hesitate to seek out her hidden clit.

"Oh, Cole," she moaned when I found it.

"Let's get you onto the bed," I said as I kissed my way up her flat stomach, through her cleavage, and ended at her lips.

We didn't break the kiss, as we side-stepped and lay on the bed.

"You're overdressed," Ruby purred before she began to unbutton my shirt.

I helped by slipping my slacks and boxers off as quickly as possible, desperate to couple with the beauty in my bed.

"No messing around, Cole. I need you inside me."

I slid in between her legs, then pulled her hips closer to me.

"Do it!" she demanded.

I lined up to her pink treasure and pressed in.

"Fuck," she whispered as my tip slid in.

I rocked my way in until my balls pressed against her soft flesh.

"I love you, Cole."

"I love you too, Rube."

I started to rock slowly in and out, and she matched my movements with her hips.

"So good, so damned good," she moaned.

I continued to piston into her until I was approaching the point of no return.

I wrapped my arms around her soft back and kissed her. Our bodies moved in complete unison, until I felt her shudder.

Her legs locked behind me and pulled me into her quivering sex, as she moaned into our kiss. Her breath was hot as she exhaled into my mouth, rolling through her orgasm.

"Oh, yes, Cole. Oh, God."

"I'm close, Rube."

"I'm on the pill, give it to me."

She unlocked her legs, and I pulled one onto my shoulder. The angle changed and I picked up the pace, slamming into her. Her body rocked with each thrust; she didn't bother trying to move any longer. She let me have my way with her body.

It was mere moments later when I stopped and released my streams inside of her well-fucked pussy.

"I knew you'd be good in bed," she said as she nuzzled into my chest.

"I was surprised you were just okay," I teased. The slap to my chest stung for a few minutes.

"I love you, Cole. I always will."

"Me too, Rube."

"Do you think you can put up with me? I mean, do you think we'll be good together?"

I wondered if we would. We had no problem living together. We got along great as friends, why should that change if were lovers?

"Yeah, Rube. I think we'll be fine."

Six months later, we were married.

*****

Four years later, we were happily married and had two little ones scampering around the house. Junior was three, and Iris was fourteen months.

Our lives were suburban bliss. She was a stay-at-home mom, while I had earned another promotion. That enabled us to buy a large home in a nice subdivision a few miles from where we lived before.

Our old friends group splintered off as we all got married and some moved to surrounding areas. I kept in touch with some of the guys, but the parties and clubbing fell to the wayside, to be replaced with meeting for coffee and swapping dirty diaper stories.

Ironically, one of my best friends was Aiden. He got a new job with a competitor, and we had a friendly rivalry as we competed for sales. I wasn't directly in sales, but I managed a sales team who were on the front lines.

Ruby had a new friend group from the neighborhood. To say she changed overnight would be an overstatement, but long gone was the party girl Ruby, replaced by Ruby the mom--and she was an amazing mom.

Our marriage and our children were her life's work and she lived and breathed raising the tykes and being a loving wife.

They were young enough that the majority of her day was wrapped up in potty training, diapers, feedings, and naps. However, she found the energy to take care of the house and still make love to me several times a week.

She was a complete 180 degree turn from the girl she was when we started dating, and she was the love of my life.

*****

On a gloomy Saturday, Aiden stopped by the house after his morning golf game. I stopped playing golf when Junior was born.

Since Ruby did just about everything during the week, I took care of the house and kids on the weekends. It was a good deal as I never had to get up in the middle of the night for feedings and diaper changes on a work night.

Aiden and I were sitting on the patio with a baby monitor and a couple of beers. Ruby was having a 'me' day with Aiden's wife Bianca, which meant a trip to the local spa for a mani/pedi and massage.

"So, what's up, Aiden. A drop by on a Saturday afternoon isn't your style," I asked with worried curiosity. He looked like someone killed his cat and was near tears. I'd never seen him in such a state.

"Bianca's cheating on me," he said with a sigh.

"Jesus. What makes you think that?"

"She's supposed to be going to the spa with Ruby, but she's didn't go."

"What!" I shouted. Then paled and hoped I didn't wake the kids from their naps. "You're kidding me?" I grunted as I sent a text to my wife.

Is Bianca with you? DO NOT LIE FOR HER!

"I just texted Ruby," I said as I sat down and gulped a swig of beer.

"It's moot. I already know Bianca's not there. I followed her to a house in Bartlett."

"Well, it will tell me if my wife is aware of what she's doing."

He nodded agreement and took a long drink.

"Shit, Man. I wonder if Ruby's fucking around on me too?"

She hadn't responded yet and I was getting pissed.

"You know if she's at the spa, she may not be able to respond," he said, trying to ease my mind.

"I don't know. Hang on, I can track her phone on the find my phone feature."

I hit the buttons and she was at the spa. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

"I'm sorry, Brother. Do you know who the guy is? Did you try to stop her?"

He shook his head.

"No, I'm not going to go busting into some guy's house and go all caveman and shit. That's not my style. I'm just going to divorce her and hope I don't get killed on alimony."

"Maybe, she's not cheating on you. Maybe, there's another reason she's at that house."

"It's possible, but why lie to me? I mean, I only found out when I noticed on my bank statements she wasn't spending money at the spa like she was supposed to be."

"How long?" I asked.

"The last two months. Before that, I had the usual charges from the spa on my statements. That's why I followed her today. She told me she was going to the spa and the grocery store afterwards as if it were a normal day."

My phone rang and it was Ruby.