Herbs and Alchemy Ch. 10

Story Info
"Upend the Vase".
7.4k words
4.82
3k
4
0

Part 10 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 05/15/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Greetings Readers, CH. 10 took ages to take shape, but here you go, it's a biggie. The dirty stuff is at the end if that's all you want. Thank you for ratings and comments!

________________________

Neela forced herself to relax and play dead as Jayla had told her, but she was sick with panic as Kurdoz carried her down to the river. He spoke with a couple of different orcs, she couldn't understand what he'd said, not knowing the language, and tried not to breathe visibly.

He waded into the river, once he was in up to his chest, he grabbed her hands, almost dunking her, and put them on the back of his neck. Her fear-addled mind understood what he wanted and clung to him. He took a deep, exaggerated breath and looked at her expectantly. Neela did the same and Kurdoz dove under. Water rushed past them, threatening to dislodge her from the monstrous orc. His entire body became a churning machine of muscle as he dove deep and swam toward the Eastern shore. Neela felt herself running out of air and squeezed the back of his neck. Kurdoz pushed off the river bottom and lifted her to the surface, yanking her back under once she'd got a breath. She endeavored to make her air last longer and let tiny bubbles out as needed. The next time he surfaced they both got a breath, Kurdoz put his hands on her legs, signaling her to wrap them around his torso, letting her know to hold on as he continued across the river, keeping underwater as much as possible.

When they reached the shore, Neela let go and knelt in the mud, gasping; her hands clawing at the dirt. Kurdoz tapped her gently on the back and took her hands again, he picked her up and carried her to the orc camp.

Neela had been getting used to Tharo, and almost felt safe around the smaller orc, but Kurdoz was twice his size and only spoke orcish. This forced her to remember the day her village was raided. Many times since then she envied the people who'd been killed quickly that day. She lived with the guilt of having escaped, barely, and only after witnessing unspeakable atrocities at the hands of the invading orcs. Now, eight years later, they had her.

Neela felt a strange sense of relief and finality. Kurdoz' grip was firm, but she knew he was being careful, he could easily crush her. Suddenly she remembered her mission and that she was on the allied side of the river that bordered her kingdom with the West. "Weston! I need to talk to Weston!" She said, tapping Kurdoz' chest.

He continued to carry her toward the orc camp, he stopped and faced another orc. "Yes. Bale Der. Tunoz. "

"I don't understand. Let me go?" Neela squirmed.

"He send someone get Captain, stay with him so she find. You safe here." The other orc said. The two greenskins spoke briefly, Kurdoz patted her arm band.

"You don't have to carry me." Neela pointed at the ground, realizing it was farther away than she'd thought. Kurdoz clutched her tighter.

He entered a tent in the middle of the camp, the interior walla were littered with gear and clothing, large logs seats, and a small fire burned near a central post, an opening at the top allowed the smoke out. Kurdoz added wood to it. "Stay." He rumbled. "Tunoz Laiga Zi."

Neela stood on the other side of the fire, shivering.

Kurdoz rummaged around and found a clean tunic and a piece of rope, he handed it to her and nodded. She swiftly removed her wet clothes and put the tunic on, bunching it up so it didn't fall off her shoulders, She hung her clothes on the central post so they could dry by the fire. The big orc held up a blanket, sat down against the log and and beckoned her back toward him.

Neela wanted to run, but where? Back to the med tent? Kurdoz was waiting for Weston, and Neela was cold and wet. She looked into the yellow eyes of the enemy and stepped into his arms.

Kurdoz wrapped her up and brought her to his chest, sharing his body heat with her. He rubbed her arms, breathing warm air onto the top of her head.

Neela shivered as she warmed up, the muddy smell of orcs bringing back everything from eight years ago, the smoke, the screams. She hid her face against Kurdoz' chest, the orc petted her hair and held her to him like an injured songbird. "Laiga Dikrak, Tunoz." He said.

The frightened woman didn't understand him, but it was apparent the big orc was trying to soothe her. She schooled herself to relax and eventually stopped shivering. Kurdoz murmured approval, sighed and leaned back. Neela readjusted herself and he opened his arms to let her free. Realizing she was just getting more comfortable, he embraced her again.

A noise at the entrance and human voices had Neela on her feet. Captain Weston walked in followed -and dwarfed by- Bale Slingfire.

"Kurdoz, Teg Okak Jeg Zi. Ega Jayla Tharo?" Bale demanded. Kurdoz gestured to Neela. "Zi Tunoz Oak."

Bale looked at Neela, "What landed you here?"

Neela took a deep breath, "I was kidnapped with Tharo and Jayla. The enemy said they were going to share me with the soldiers. Kurdoz was pretending to be a guard in the enemy camp, so Jayla sent me back with him, he took me back across the river. I was cold, he told me to stay here so you could find me. Jayla doesn't think they'll hurt them. Tharo lost his belly ring and he thinks he'll go savage."

Weston nodded "That might not be a bad thing under the circumstances. Do you know where they're being kept?"

"The biggest tent you can see from the river. Follow the path from the dirt pile on the shore."

Weston stepped closer and whispered "Did the big orc hurt you? Did he try anything?"

"No! No, he's been very ... protective." Neela shuddered.

"You look upset."

"My family was killed at Graytown."

Weston paled, "Gods. What were they thinking?! I'm so sorry."

"It... it's OK, Tharo's been really good about... Kurdoz carrying me out was probably the safest option. What's 'Dikrak Tunoz'?"

"Safe." Said Bale. "Dikrak is 'bird'. But also used to mean anything that has to be treated carefully. He was saying he knew to be careful and he would keep you safe."

"Anything else?" Weston asked. "Looks like you could use a change of clothes."

Neela blushed and gestured to her clothes hanging by the fire, "Yeah, I was in the river. Jayla had freed herself by the time I left, she was working on getting Tharo free."

The Captain grinned, "Jayla is a force of nature, she'll have the whole camp doing her bidding by now. Regardless, we should organize a rescue."

Bale waved to get their attention, "Healer teams are sacred to orcs. The Goddess brings them to make peace. If the humans try to harm them the orcs will turn. Get more information before you go over there. Kurdoz can tell us where everything is."

Weston leaned out of the tent "Oy! Paper and ink you layabouts! And human clothes for the girl! MOVE!"

"Captain, I could go back to the med tent?" Neela suggested quietly.

"Stay here for now if you're OK, I might need you to confirm or verify. Orcish is... limited."

Neela gave a clumsy salute and hesitantly sat down. Kurdoz retrieved a kettle from the corner and put it on the fire, then sat back down next to Neela.

Eventually they all had tea in clay mugs and The Captain had parchment, ink and quill, and Neela had clothes that fit a little better. Weston lay the parchment out in front of Kurdoz and had him draw a map of the enemy camp.

The Captain was just getting ready to leave when a nervous soldier came in with a piece of cloth. "Message for you Captain, I think. A hawk delivered it to Sunhill, it looks like chicken scratches with your name above."

"A hawk? Like the bird?" She took it and opened it. "I was right about Jayla. She even got the local wildlife to help her out." The Captain looked over the paper and nodded. "All right, everyone get some rest, we cross the south ford before dawn. Bale, tell the mercs."

Kurdoz took Neela's hand and squeezed it. "Tunoz Ga Neela. Dez Kez Ekko. All." He looked at her and nodded. "Bale, Niz."

Bale stopped on her way out and looked back "He says you are safe here and you can come back any time." She shook her finger at Kurdoz "Zee Orgadak."

"Zee Oak, Bale, Neela." He released Neela's hand. Bale translated for the humans "I told him he should learn your language. He wants me and you to show him."

Bale and Weston left to give orders. Neela stood at eye level with the big orc where he sat. She hesitantly reached out and touched his cheek. "Thank you Kurdoz." She whispered, then fled the tent.

____________________________________________

Jayla was finally getting some sleep curled up in Tharo's lap. The Shaman tapped on the wall of the tent "Hawk back." They whispered.

"Oak Taan." I hear Jayla replied sleepily, forgetting to hide her knowledge of the language.

Activity outside the tent seemed to increase as time passed, Tharo was restless. He'd go from picking at his manacles to pacing to petting or braiding Jayla's hair.

Food was delivered, it was evident this side was not doing well. A small amount of mash and two sad looking potatoes. Jayla frowned, "I hope they're feeding their warriors better than this. Heck, I could find better food to eat in a five minute walk."

Tharo snorted, "Maybe show them."

"All right, I will." She got up and stood outside the tent, her eyes adjusting to the evening light. The orc guards looked alarmed. "Escort me outside this camp so I can get some real food. Come on." They went to block her from leaving. Jayla ignored the spears pointed at her and retied the rope around her waist so it was more of a leash. She handed one of the guards an end. She pointed downriver at some trees, "Over there." She yelled "Anyone who wants to come with me, I'll show you what plants you can eat here!" Then repeated it in Orcish. That turned a few heads.

Not 20 breaths later, Jayla, about 15 Westerners from two races and two wary orc guards were headed down to the river. Jayla would stop and point, or actually put the plant in her mouth, pass some more around so people could identify it, and pick some and tuck it into her belt. All but two of the plants she came across were edible in an emergency, five were actually worth picking, the rest were good for medicine or tea, save the buttercup and nightshade. "The only reason anyone is going hungry out here is ignorance." She scolded. At one point she found a plant she wanted the root from and held out her hand to the guard "Give me your spear." The orc barely hesitated before obeying. She used it to dig up a forearm-sized tuber, then peeled it, cut little chunks off and passed it around. "Better cooked, don't eat too much raw or you'll feel bad."

By the time they got back no one was hungry and Jayla had enough to make a good-sized meal for herself and Tharo. She went to the nearest fire and took over the kettle and a pot. She cooked some and the rest was salad. "Fish?" She asked. "There's a river, why isn't anyone fishing?" They shrugged.

"What the... Go fish! Bring me one!"

Half a candle after she'd left, Jayla and Tharo sat down to a decent meal, the fish were small and bony, but the starchy roots and seasonings helped fill in the gaps. "These people are fast learners." Jayla muttered. "Have you been farther West? Where most of these people are from?"

"Was born there." Tharo said around a mouthful.

"Is it desert? Why are they hungry?"

"No. Prairie, some of it, but there are woods. Orcs are bigger and healthier because they're taught about the forest and made to travel alone there when they're young. Humans just farm. If one crop is bad, no food that year."

"Ah, so humans don't go into the woods because there are orcs in them."

Tharo laughed, "Hadn't considered that."

"Surely everyone plants more than one crop."

"Not really, they do one and trade for different food. Maybe in the smaller remote gardens."

Jayla just shook her head. "So they've been that dumb since you were a child?"

"Oy! Wasn't that long ago." Tharo pouted. "Nah, from what I can tell the Lords started telling them what to grow instead of letting the farmers decide. Royalty got dumber. It always does until it gets deposed and they start all over again."

"So we end the cycle. Call me crazy, but the orcs and the humans seem to be getting along, all the conflict is coming from leadership. I want to talk to this farmer the Shaman recommended before..."

"I don't want to draw attention to him. If he gets injured, perhaps."

Jayla paced the tent, "I can't just sit around."

"Obviously. You're making me dizzy. We wait until we get patients."

"What about our people? Surely they have injured."

"We could try to leave and swim the river."

"Can we stop the attack in the morning?"

"Maybe, but I think we should let Weston handle it."

"AARRRGH. How can you just sit there?!"

Tharo held up his hands, "The last conflict I was in I was either killing people or getting stabbed, I'm enjoying just sitting here in the dirt. You should too. Let's see if we can hear what's going on."

Jayla sat down and listened, she heard murmurs and voices, but nothing she could make out. Tharo's hearing appeared to be better, he scowled after a bit, nodded. There was an orcish snarl from outside the tent, followed by consensus. Tharo stood up and walked to the entrance, appearing ready to attack. "Narg Zen Naak Luthia Zi." He snarled. No sex with the Goddess's woman.

Narg Akai Heza. Another orc growled, opening the tent. The other orc had a head and probably a pony's weight on Tharo. "Teg Okak Koga." You aren't exclusive, are you going to stop us?

"Oak Koga. Gee Akai Heza." Jayla got the last part. I will stop you, We are of one house. The big orc took a swing at Tharo, who ducked, put his shoulder toward the interloper and knocked him out of the tent with a blast of blue energy.

A human voice: "Who... where are the wards on this tent?! Who took the wards down? Get out of here! Get the mage!"

Tharo stepped back "I tried to cast a spell. My earring must have destroyed them." He lied to protect the shaman.

"Give it over now."

"It only works once, no reason to." He glanced over at Jayla, Glad I forgot to recharge it. He said in her head.

A human came into the tent; pale, fat, and wearing obnoxiously bright colors for a war camp. He waved his hands and muttered something. "He's telling the truth, none of his jewelry has any power except his arm band, and those are just stasis pills."

"Check the woman."

The mage walked over to Jayla and looked down on her with interest. "Her rings are ... not a concern."

Jayla mouthed a thank you at him.

The human guard squinted at them, "All right. I want double guards here, and put those wards back up!"

The mage sighed, "I have to go get some material to do that. Give me some time."

Jayla Sent to Tharo, Now would be a good time to escape.

He shook his head, Luthia put us here for a reason, if all goes as I think it will in the morning we're exactly where we need to be. Patience. Tharo spoke to the guard, "You stole us fairly. We won't be any trouble unless you try to hurt one of us. We're just here to practice our trade."

The evening drug on, Jayla asked Tharo to teach her some songs, the orc guards outside joined in, one snuck them a couple tankards of rum and the evening was surprisingly jovial. Jayla brushed up on her orcish and was even beginning to get some of their jokes.

Jayla wrote what they were singing in the dirt and asked Tharo to help translate once they'd finished the song. It was surprisingly moving, all considered.

Tan Konon

Beat the tree

Gag Adag

Drink the ale

Nadul Shok

Tonight we Live

Eguk Gaj

Tomorrow we Die

Naak Tor Heza

Fight for your House

Naak Tor Haag Eguk

Fight for a new day

Naak Tor Iggi

Fight for your child

Hoki Googa

Enjoy your food

Kez Konon Kika

The forest gives

Narg Kez Hoki Kog Daka

There is always joy In movement

In a daring moment of inspiration, Jayla took up the chorus again and added a verse, dropping her voice as low and loud as she could:

"Naak Gaz Ish"

Fight enemies afar

"Naak Lug Zen"

Fight friends close (sex)

"Kaggaz Jokog Tor Gaz"

Fire in hand for enemies

"Kaggaz Tot Tor Zen Lug"

Fire on the ground for your mate

There was something both terrifying and delightful about orcs laughing, like being very close to two stallions fighting.

The orcs were toasting Jayla and being yelled at by the humans to quiet down until some of the human soldiers started their own songs, which Jayla knew and sang along. She and Tharo yelled translations for the orcs between verses.

In a lull they heard more singing from the other side of the river. Jayla grinned, "Go! Let's all go stand at the river!" She was up and out, Tharo following her as though he was tied to her. "Come on!" Again the guards shrugged and followed her.

The water carried sound, but they were out of arrow shot.

Soon both groups lined the river, torches roaring quietly in the darkness, the sound of ale being poured, questions and answers were shouted across the river in orcish and common.

Why do you fight?

For our homes. Why do you fight?

For food and duty

Duty to foolish lords

Homes can be rebuilt

Come without blood if you want a new home

Leave and we'll spill none

Your lords will always be foolish and you still won't have food

We seek a good life your ancestors stole

Till your own fields and buy seed instead of swords

We have your healers

We have food and farmers, heal and starve.

Eat and die anyway.

The banter was peppered with laughter. Jayla heard the captains chuckling nervously up the hill. Eventually someone of high rank came out and yelled for it to be shut down. An adviser, probably the mage, suggested they be allowed to have their fun, knowing trying to get the army in line at this point would be a mistake and highlight the weakness of those supposedly in charge.

A ball of lightning crackled harmlessly across the river. In the distance they could make out a silhouette that could only be Gillard, his voice carried with the spell,

You cannot win, we fight for our homes, you fight for fools.

The mage behind Jayla cast what appeared to be the same spell, except the lightning shimmered several different colors, and the voice was both common and orcish: We take what was taken from us, your ancestors are thieves.

Tharo leaned in and whispered "He shoulda just stuck to lightning."

Unexpectedly, the female orcs began to sing,

Luthia has gifted us two

Peace comes to this land

Fight your last fight

Then have your children

Narg Kez Hoki Kog Daka (There is always joy In movement).

It was hard to tell from voices alone, but Jayla felt it in her core, the song of the creators. There was magic in the air.

Jayla put her foot in the river, Tharo followed her lead and took her hand. She said the words and lit up with the orange glow, alarmingly bright in the darkness, reflecting off the river.

We bring peace if you will have it. We bring health if you will let us. Your fields will be lush and game will be plentiful, the forest provides. Luthia has spoken.

Jayla whispered the banishing words and stepped out of the water, releasing Tharo's hand. Her hands still glowed a little. Tharo looked at her, her glow reflected in his eyes, his expression pleased and startled. She turned and walked back toward the tent.