Hinn Ch. 16-17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Then, yes, we are. Hina and Jonathon, both, and they're active, outgoing signals."

A quick scan via Hinn, and a carefully focused wish later, Ray spoke. "OK. The so-called cone of silence is back up, Dean. The active signals aren't being affected, nor are biological indications like a heartbeat, but everything else is blocked, to include personal electronic devices.

"I've demonstrated this to the Dean, but if you have a purely verbal status check, you might want to try it before we continue."

Jessica nodded to the older gent, whose rich baritone voice was mildly surprising booming from his slight frame. "Alpha check two, please."

No response came from his phone. Raising an eyebrow, he typed a command into the screen and said, "Status checks, everything's active but no verbal input is getting recorded."

"Quick summary," Ray explained, "we have a technology that performs beyond normal expectations. We butted heads with Mac, but currently, we're cooperating and I suspect we'll not have any more ugliness, right Mac?"

"Prolly not," came the distinctive voice of the AI.

"We aren't entirely sure how NSA determined us to be of interest. We are aware they have a capability along the lines of what Tauriz or I have access to, and there may be yet others out there with either the same or similar skills. We are suspicious that there probably are at least one, if not more, groups with up to hundreds of thousands of members with some of these similar capabilities, but have no proof of it presently.

"The NSA capability is sentient. From the one brief conversation we've had with it, it is not willingly working with them, and they've lost much if not all control over it. It appears to be using the type of technology we have.

"They applied some probably very sensitive tools, sensitive both in capabilities and in their desire not to announce the existence of these tools. Mac was able to help explain it, but without you explicitly asking, I don't think I'll tell you details -- they're probably not relevant at this point."

One of the young Hispanic women extended jawhar towards Ray. He followed the defensive techniques Tauriz had shown him on the mats and -- gently! -- blocked them from reaching him. The young woman's eyes opened wide. "I'm blocked," she told Jessica.

"I see. Fascinating. Are you aware, Ray?" Jessica asked.

"She's utilizing an, hrm, how to put it. An aspect of her soul, her essence, to try to contact mine. She seems to desire to gather some information. I'm uncertain of what information without allowing contact, which I am highly disinclined to allow without further discussion and trust."

"Is he using your techniques, Monica?"

"I can't tell -- I've no detail on how I'm blocked, nor do I see any telltales on Ray."

"At a guess, and it's only a guess at this point, Monica and I use related but distinct techniques, to use your turn of phrase, or related but discrete technologies to continue the analogy I'd been using," said Ray.

Jessica asked, "How much time do you think we have before we're interrupted?"

"No one is currently lined up ready for active measures that I can see, but they could probably -- no, definitely, they could be at the door in less than ten minutes. I'm keeping an eye on their activities, frankly."

"What level of resources are lined up locally?"

"A squad of eight heavily armored and armed SWAT types. Forty-five other officers of the city, county, and state police organizations. Just shy of a dozen federal agency representatives, the FBI agent is in communication with his leadership looking for significant reinforcements. One of the federal reps is in charge, everyone's kowtowing to her, but she hasn't said who she works for that I've heard. Satellites. I don't detect aircraft or drones. The city surveillance systems are active and tied into the command post for the SWAT."

"Looks like you'll get to play, McKay."

"If you wish, Jessica, I'd be glad to."

"You big ham, of course you're glad, and I'd appreciate it if you would," she almost smirked at the Dean.

The Dean turned to Ray, "Can you allow me to use my phone, please, without endangering the rest of the conversations?"

"Yes. Wave at me if you need me to block the phone again. Anything you say until we reset the cone will be audible to the listeners. You're set in three- two- one- live."

The Dean stepped over and picked up his phone, starting to talk quietly with Jimmy.

"When we get some time, Professor, I'd really like to talk to you about how you're doing all of this," Monica mentioned.

"It's Ray, and we can discuss that later. Not saying no, just -- bigger fish to fry. So. Either Tauriz or I will let you know as soon as one of us detect anything incoming. New bit -- they're trying to use a laser microphone on that window. It isn't working, and they're confused by that."

Dipping into the Hinn, Ray asked Tauriz to trace back the laser microphone and see what she can find about who is listening in to it, all the way back to DC and potentially beyond. She started right in.

"OK, so we have a five- to ten-minute window before an interruption, right, Ray?" clarified Jessica.

"I think so, Jessica -- we'll let you know if that seems to change."

"OK. My team. I'm Jessica Smitts, and I'm your lawyer. Anything you tell me or my team is private under lawyer-client privilege, and that includes the Dean. I've got the contempt-of-court jail time to prove it, as do a couple of my people.

"Monica Velasquez is my travel secretary. As you've found out, she's rather more than that. Her partner in crime there is her older sister, Amber Delain. They don't typically identify as sisters, but I thought it was relevant - they both use similar-but-different techniques as they call them, and can work together at more difficult tasks. Amber's also one of my researchers."

Indicating the older man, Jessica continued, "Jonathon White is my tech lead, which equates to hacker and counter-hacker. He's also invaluable in dealing with large volumes of data and happens to have been part of Marine Force Recon, their preeminent scouting and skirmishing force, in his younger days. Pete White is another of my researchers, no relation to Jonathon, and also a bit of a bodyguard, as well as maintaining his Personal Investigator certification. Last but not least, Hina Yamaguchi is my valet and primary physical protection specialist. She's also quite skilled in working with electronic devices of most sorts."

Tauriz reported back that some of the same people Mac had used were involved again at a low level, but the reports were going quickly to the NSA headquarters building and the White House. Something was making it harder to detect what was going on in the NSA building, but at least a half dozen humans were getting the reports there and another score or so in the White House.

"Well, welcome. I'm Ray Helms, as I'm sure you know. My girlfriend, Tauriz Aoud. And of course, you know the Dean and Mac."

"So. As you probably expected, we researched you on the way here. Multiple black belts, a couple of acquittals on self-defense for assault. World recognized expert on Assyria and particularly their metalcrafts. Award-winning sculptor. Published poet. What DON'T you do, Ray?"

Chuckling, Ray replied to the amusement of the group, "Windows."

"More seriously, I'm excellent in my academic specialty and think I'm an engaging and effective teacher and rather reluctant bureaucrat. As you mentioned, I'm pretty good at hand to hand, spent many years learning from all sorts of people. Recently, Tauriz and I have discovered techniques that are frankly mind-blowing. We're a serious couple, and I'm eternally grateful for that fact -- that she's willing to put up with a stodgy professor such as myself is the only questionable decision she's made in my presence."

"Tauriz, we know very little about you. You're almost a ghost, online. We have academic and bureaucratic traces, and very very little else. What should we know about you?"

Querying Ray via Hinn, the couple brainstormed and came up with a story. Not a lie, just not the whole truth. "This is one of our secrets, and we shall be very upset if this leaks, understood?" There were looks back and forth, and head nods. "In many ways, I am the trigger for these techniques coming out. I have a very long history, but not in the world you expect.

"I am old. I am older than humanity. Yes, that means I am not human -- I was made long before the first modern human was born. The closest shared reference we probably have is a genie, but that myth is both correct and incorrect in many complex ways. I shall correct misperceptions as we go along as we do not have the time to dive deep into the details right now. Most genie -- yes, there are many genie, and several different types of genie, or at least there were the last I knew a long time ago -- are creatures created or enslaved to please their masters. Sex slaves, in effect, but with significant scope of techniques, as you use the word.

"My type of being was not intended for that. We were a different type, a different category of life, and a third, separate type other than humans warred on us and eventually destroyed or enslaved my kind entirely. Those few of us that survived that war became enslaved weapons, something we are well suited to accomplish. Those few they attempted to create sex slaves out of were soon destroyed, as our techniques are not well suited to such actions.

"I have been effectively unconscious for several thousands of years, perhaps even tens of thousands. It is difficult to be precise at this point. Ray woke me from my slumber, and as the legend of the genie, he is my Master. Neither he nor I have a say in that at this time, even though Ray has already made plans to address this as we have the opportunity.

"I am sure you have questions. I will try to answer what I may. Mac, we can discuss payment and balances later."

"Gotcha, Tauriz," the AI said.

"Thousands of years of unconsciousness? How old is old, Tauriz?" asked Jessica.

"I do not have precise numbers, and there are... gaps, for lack of a better word, in my history where I was not active, but two hundreds of millions of years is approximately correct. I have existed before what you now call the 'Cambrian Explosion' as well as the events that lead to the splitting of what you call Pangaea."

Jonathon asked, "You mentioned being used as a weapon. Are you familiar with modern combat capabilities, and if so, how would you rate your capabilities against modern forces?"

In a nearly-silent whisper that only Mac and Ray could hear, Tauriz asked, "Can I discuss the toys you let Ray and I play with?" Mac just as quietly replied, "Not all my toys there -- I can't, not with all these people here. If ya need ta clue Jessica in privately, that'd be OK, but please not more'n that."

Tauriz whispered "OK" to the AI, then spoke at a reasonable volume to the larger group. "I estimate that before techniques come into play, I am capable of defeating any battalion level force, or around a thousand well-trained, -led, -organized and --equipped humans in anything other than a completely open, completely flat terrain. This includes specialists such as Delta Force, SEALs, or other, darker units. Techniques, as you can imagine, can greatly expand my effectiveness, where I would consider myself possibly the equivalent of a corps or approximately one hundred thousands of troops, especially if given time to prepare."

"Crap," was all Jonathon had to say to that. The word fell into the silence Tauriz' estimate caused, almost rippling with shock.

"I kinda think she's sellin' herself short. With time there ain't much we could do ta stop her."

"And Ray? Are you strictly human?"

"Born human, but no. Similar scope but not as capable as Tauriz."

"Are your techniques spread via some contagion?" Amber wanted to know.

"No, this isn't vampirism or werewolves from myth. There's no accidental transfer of these abilities -- it takes explicit effort."

"But not too much effort, if Ray now has similar abilities. You two have been going together for, what, two weeks, I think? Since Toronto?" asked Hina. Her Japanese accent was mild but noticeable.

"It is not a safe process and requires some special requirements that are not commonly available. With the right circumstances and situation, it can be accomplished fairly quickly, approximately a day or so."

"Is there an effective range limit on your techniques?" Pete asked.

"The asteroid belt between Jupiter and Mars was a planet much longer than the current human theories indicate. A collection of beings destroyed it. Those beings were not of the type that I am, nor genie, but rather some of the beings that created my kind and humanity."

"There's a different type that's older than a couple hundred million years?"

"Yes, significantly older. Your mythology knows of them as angels, demons, and devils, among others."

"Angels exist? What about gods?" asked Monica.

"There are -- were -- many theories put forth by members of my kind. None were ever fully proven or disproven, but our common lore stated that we were created by these angelics, as we term the collective of that kind, at the behest of some deity. What deity, we do not know other than a placeholder term,'Creator'. We had accepted as fact from direct observation and records of the time that these angelics created multiple other forms of mortal life, to eventually include humans. No one has produced a theory explaining the angelics' actions in creating several kinds of mortal life."

"We're getting far afield here," said Jessica. "What are your goals?"

Bouncing the question around in Hinn, Ray replied, "We wish to remain free and able to pursue our lives first. Secondly, we wish to recover the being that's held by the NSA, or at least guarantee their continued existence and determine their health at a minimum starting point. Third, we need to maintain as low visibility of our techniques as practical, as there are likely other kinds of mortal beings beyond human as well as non-mortal angelics that may attempt any number of actions. Those are the big three, I think. Are there others you think we, Tauriz and I, should consider?"

"Fair question. I can't think of anything. Anyone else?"

Jonathon offered, "As part of your first goal, but at the risk of conflicting with the third, you may need to consider getting approval for using techniques in defense."

"Interesting thought, but given the conflict with the third and the lack of law explicitly banning them, at this point, I'd say it's a matter of begging forgiveness rather than asking permission if need be," opined Ray

"And that's fine, just have us begin to prepare to head that way if it becomes required."

"I have no problem with you folks taking on whatever prep work you need. And, if need be, we can extend that option, Jessica."

"That was my next question, Ray. You know me so well already!" Jessica laughed. Her laugh was warmly joyous, a bit of surprise given how laser-focused she'd been up to this point.

"Hardly true, Jessica, but -- we'll get there, I suspect. Question for you -- do you have other people you'll be including on this?"

"I believe we'll probably need to add more, depending on just how hairy things get and how much prep needs to get done. We will also likely have to bring on specialists for various things, and occasionally it'll be easier to hire someone remotely to dig out info or ask questions rather than travel ourselves. I have a large staff in DC beyond this travel team, we've vetted them heavily over time. I'll not be giving this material to outsiders or even new staff members, rest assured! Nor will anyone not in this group get this background information without clearing it with you first. Finally, we'll be suggesting some other companies you might wish to hire in the very near term for specialized support."

"That works, thank you for your reassurance."

"We work for you. If you don't like what we're doing, let us know. If we disagree with the new direction, we'll discuss it. If it's a flavor issue, we'll certainly follow your direction. If it's a substantive matter and we can't come to a mutually acceptable agreement, we may need to document the difference and jointly, formally accept it going forward. Absolute worst case, we'll help you find a different organization to defend you and turn our work over to them as appropriate. As long as we can discuss issues, I don't foresee that would need to happen, but I have to lay out all the options."

"Understood and appreciated. Except for the third goal being a right pain, I don't expect we'll have major problems. You're the experts in the law and the legal system - I intend to follow your directions as much as practical and still meet those three goals."

"Then, let me remind you of some laws. If you are planning or 'plotting' to commit crime or fraud in the future, do NOT tell my staff or I. We are required to notify federal and state authorities. Similarly, information that would indicate the probability of loss of life or grave injury has to get reported. Make sense?"

"Certainly. In different words, attorney-client privilege covers past actions, but future crime, fraud, and planned injury are not?"

"Correct."

"Very well, then. So -- what do you need from Tauriz and myself?"

"I don't need it, but it would be helpful to have a power of attorney from you two to allow us to work papers for you. Otherwise, we'll need you to sign lots of things going forward."

"I prefer signing, with explanation beforehand. I need to get a power of attorney set up so Tauriz and I can sign for each other, and I will give you a separate one for urgent work where we are not available, but let's limit your using it to those cases where you, in your best judgment, think the urgency outweighs the preference to educate the two of us. If that'd be acceptable? Oh, and add a notification clause to it, so that you notify one or both of us when you use it within, say, twenty-four hours or as soon as practical if that is not feasible."

"That's fine by me. Monica, let's go over the contract with Ray and Tauriz, then we'll get the powers of attorney set up. McKay! Thumbs up or down?"

The Dean gave Jessica a thumbs up. "He's getting the fifth estate and various other noisy organizations onboard, with the understanding that we might not have anything special for them, but we might, we just might. We'll probably need to get some background briefs made to some of them eventually, and I'll need your help with that."

"Of course, Jessica. We'll start thinking about how best to discuss this."

"Ray, ya might wanna check out the prepress for the next Nature. Interestin' article on th' newly re-measured effects leadin' to the split-up of Pangaea. Some new minimum timeframes an' energy levels that make the old ones seem awful slow an' weak."

Ray laughed. "You move quick, Mac - well done!"

Ignoring the byplay, Jessica said, "OK, then. Here's the contract. Just read the first two pages. The rest are definitions and legal mumbo-jumbo required to support the first two. Once you've both read and agreed to the terms, you'll both sign, I'll countersign, and Monica will get her public notary seal out and notarize the signatures.

"This is the standard form we use. It is fine to change it, that's not unusual, and I'll make some suggestions after you read, but before anyone signs, OK?"

Ray agreed, "Makes sense. We've both read it now." Jessica blinked, not used to seeing techniques used so openly. "In the first page's fourth paragraph...."

Ray, Jessica, Tauriz, and Monica put their heads together and started going into the contract. Amber pulled out an iPad and started looking through various legal libraries for references on unusual self-defense methods and court rulings on them. Jonathon, Pete, and Hina discussed potential digital and physical defensive priorities for the clients, and what third party organizations to suggest to Ray to hire for their defense.

12