Hippie Solution

Story Info
Hippie grandma brings shy grandson out of his shell.
5.4k words
4.68
31.5k
70
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DocWords
DocWords
3,304 Followers

This is my 100th post. I hope you enjoy it.

Everyone involved in sex or nudity is at least 18 years old.

Enjoy

Hippie Solution

Frustrated with her son's shyness, Sonja called her brother for advice.

"Russ, remember how shy you were in high school?" she asked.

"Yeah, it was crippling. Why?"

"Michael is the same way. He's eighteen now. As far as I know he's never been on a date. He has no friends. Panics during interviews for jobs. I can't even get him to leave his room if I have company. What do I do?" his sister asked.

"Yeah, that's how I was too."

"I know. So, how did you fix it?"

"Mom sent me to stay with Grandma for a couple of weeks."

"At that hippie commune?"

"Yeah. The one where mom lives now."

"What did grandma do to bring you out of it?"

"Uh, you should probably ask mom about that," he replied hesitantly.

"I don't talk to her often. She's as cuckoo as grandma was. What did grandma do?"

"Sis, I'm not at liberty to say. That was part of the agreement between me and gran."

"Drugs?"

Her brother chuckled. "We smoked a little weed, but that was it. Drugs weren't part of the deal."

"Then what?" Sonja pleaded.

"You'll have to talk to mom," he insisted.

"Does she have a phone yet?"

"No. No one at Chrysalis does. The only way to reach her is snail mail or in person."

"Chrysalis?" she asked.

"That's the name of the commune."

"She's so freakin' weird."

"She's eccentric, but she's happy."

"Text me her address. I'll write to her. It's too far to just drive there."

"Include a SASE. I doubt she has a stamp. They don't use money there," he suggested.

"How in god's name do they survive living in the dark ages?" Sonja said rhetorically.

"They manage. I have a client. Gotta run."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye sis."

Sonja thought about it. Her grandmother was one of the original hippies and after leaving San Francisco in the sixties had moved to the Chrysalis commune near Sacramento. That's where her mother, Honeysuckle, was born and raised. At sixteen, Honeysuckle ran off with a musician and gave birth to her brother. Sonja was born the following year to another father. Her mother wasn't sure who that might have been. Sonja and her brother lived at Chrysalis until age three and four before their mother met and married Art. Art wasn't into the commune thing and had moved the family to Bakersfield where they lived until his death. While Sonja and Russ were in college, Honeysuckle moved back to Chrysalis where she stayed.

Sonja got pregnant in college but never stayed in touch with Michael's father. She raised him alone. Russ had never married.

Sonja had discussed her son's shyness with the family doctor who had suggested anti-anxiety medicine. After checking out the drug online, she threw the prescription in the trash.

Michael was intelligent, good looking, and well mannered. He was shy to a fault. Even his teachers had sent home notes of concern.

She remembered her brother being the exact same way as a teen until the summer after his high school graduation. The change had been dramatic upon his return from spending time with Tulip, her now deceased grandmother.

Having tried everything except the habit forming drugs, Sonja decided to contact her mother for guidance. She wrote a long letter, then after enclosing a SASE, dropped it in the mail.

*****

Honey, as she was known in the community, got the letter a week later. After reading it she packed a small knapsack and headed on foot toward civilization. She got lucky at the two lane road when she came across a young woman with a flat tire. She changed the tire for her and in turn the woman let her make a call on her phone.

"Hello?" Sonja answered.

"Hi sweetums, it's Honey."

"Mom? I thought you didn't have a phone."

"I don't. A nice young lady from town is letting me use hers."

"Did you get my letter?" Sonja asked.

"I did. That's why I'm calling. I think I can help, but Michael would need to come to Chrysalis and stay with me for a couple of weeks."

"Can't you just tell me what to do?" her daughter asked.

"It doesn't work that way, dear heart. It's something I have to do personally."

"I'm willing to try most anything. Mom, this isn't some drug thing is it?"

"I'm not into drugs. There are a few tokers in the community but other than that, no drugs," Honey replied.

"Okay, when?"

"Is the school year finished?"

"He graduates this Saturday."

"Drive him up on Sunday. Russ is coming for the solstice celebration on the 21st. He can bring him home when he comes."

"What should he pack?"

"His toiletries. Clothes for the trip and back. We wear robes at Chrysalis, so he won't need other clothes."

"Can he bring his phone?" Sonja asked.

"Yes, but there's no internet or cell service here."

"He can't call me?"

"He can if he's willing to walk a few miles where there's reception."

"What about money?" Sonja asked.

"What about it?"

"Should he bring some?"

"Babykins, we don't use money here," her mother assured her.

"How do I get there?"

"I haven't the slightest idea. Talk to Russ, he can give you directions."

"Okay, we'll see you in a few days."

"All my love, sunshine," her mother said ending the call.

Honeysuckle gave the woman back her phone then hit the trail toward home.

*****

At dinner that evening Sonja told her son about his upcoming trip. He wasn't thrilled with the idea but was looking forward to seeing his grandmother. It had been over four years since he'd seen her. He remembered her as being a bit strange, but very nice.

Early Sunday morning they set out on the five hour drive to Chrysalis. The last five miles were on a single lane dirt road that was in dire need of basic maintenance. Twice they had to stop and move fallen branches out of the way. They went over a rise and were greeted by a large colorful sign that read, 'Welcome to Chrysalis - est 1962. Leave trouble behind and find true peace.'

Looking beyond the sign was what appeared to be a small village. There were probably thirty small colorful buildings and another dozen or so yurts. There were flowers growing everywhere. They could see people walking between the buildings with everyone dressed in cream colored robes.

"Mom, are you sure this is a good idea?" Michael asked.

"Mike, I'm not sure of anything, but I don't know how else to help you."

They drove another fifty yards and parked, then got out of the car. A young woman was nearby, and Sonja called to her. The woman, a pretty redhead about twenty, walked to them.

"Welcome to Chrysalis. I'm Rose," she said giving each a sincere hug.

"I'm Sonja and this is my son Michael. Can you tell me where I can find Honeysuckle?"

"Sure, I'll walk you to her house," Rose said, turning toward the east. "Have you been here before?"

"Many years ago," Sonja said. "Michael's never been here."

As they walked, Rose gave them a quick tour. "This is the central area where most of us live. Honey lives right on the eastern edge. Beyond that is Fairy Vale. That's where we have our celebrations and get togethers. On the north side is the school and children's areas. South is where we grow our food. West, where you came from, is where we harvest our lumber."

"Rose, how long have you been here?" Sonja asked.

"Since I was fourteen, six years now. Are you thinking of joining us?"

"Honeysuckle is my mother. We're just visiting."

"I knew she had a son. I've met him."

"That's my brother, Russ."

"Yes, his Chrysalis name is Willow," Rose advised. Here we are. Honey, are you home?" she asked, tapping lightly on the screen door.

"One second, love," a woman called back.

A moment later Honey opened the door. "Sorry, I thought I should put something on before coming to the door." She stepped out and embraced her daughter and then her grandson. Turning to Rose she asked, "Were you their greeter?"

"I had that honor," she said smiling.

"Then you get to choose my grandson's Chrysalis name. Think it over carefully, Rose."

"Of course. Sonja, what is your Chrysalis name?" Rose asked.

"Buttercup," Sonja replied, blushing.

"Rose, would you stay and have lunch with us? I'd like to ask you about something," Honey asked.

"I'd love to," Rose replied.

"How long can you stay?" Honey asked her daughter.

"Not long. It's five hours to get home."

"I have lunch all set. Come inside."

They all went inside the small house. Michael saw that everything in it appeared to be handmade, even the furniture. She had them sit on the floor cushions around a low table in the main room then brought several plates of fruits and vegetables out. Some were cooked, but most were fresh and raw. Honey then poured each a glass of tea. They all chatted during lunch, which gave Honey and Sonja the opportunity to do some catching up. Michael only spoke when directly spoken to. When lunch was finished Sonja stood.

"I'm going to head home. Mom, thank you."

"Don't worry about Michael. I'll take good care of him."

"I know."

"Michael, would you like to walk your mother to her car?" Honey asked.

"Sure," he replied.

Just outside the house, Michael turned to her.

"Buttercup?" he asked grinning.

"Everyone here has a name from something in nature. Apparently, Rose gets to pick yours."

"Where am I going to be sleeping? I only saw one bed in there?"

"We always slept on pads on the floor. They were very comfortable."

"Do they only eat plants?" he asked.

"Mostly, I think. I can remember having meat, but not every meal. You'll be fine. Your grandmother and Rose look healthy. That Rose is a cutie, huh?"

"I guess," he replied.

"Mike, try to relax and enjoy things here. You can have fun if you'll allow yourself."

"I'll try, mom. See you in a few weeks."

"Bye honey," she said kissing his cheek."

He stood there and watched her drive off then walked back to his grandmother's house.

"Michael, I put a robe on the bed. Take your clothes off and put it on. Everyone at Chrysalis wears them," his grandmother told him.

Mike walked into the bedroom and picked it up, then turned to close the bedroom door. There wasn't one.

"Uh, where should I change? There's no door here," he asked.

"Wherever you want. We don't worry too much about that here. I rarely wear anything here at the house."

Where his grandmother and Rose were sitting he was in full view. He pulled off his shirt then moved as far over as he could, turned his back and slipped his shorts off. Mike grabbed the robe and pulled it on over his head.

"Underwear too. It's a one piece outfit," she said.

Mike blushed knowing that she had obviously been watching him undress. He slipped off his briefs then set his clothes on a chair.

"Come talk to us. I need to give you the community guidelines."

Mike went into the room and sat on the floor in front of them. Feeling a breeze on his crotch he quickly repositioned himself.

"We really have few rules, but there are a few that can cause you to be run off. No means no. It's not negotiable. No nudity or sexual activity on the north side of the compound. That's where the children are. We respect each other's property. If it's not yours, don't mess with it. Treat others how you would like to be treated. Common courtesy goes a long way. Fighting is strictly forbidden. If you have a dispute with someone that the two of you can't resolve - seek out an elder to mediate it. If you're sick, have the common courtesy to stay away from people. Rose, can you think of anything else?"

"Don't be judgy," she said.

"That won't get you kicked out, but it is important. We're all different. I do things different than some of the others, and they do different than the next guy. That doesn't make any of us with 'the' right way. Respect other people's right to be and think for themselves. Any questions?" Honey asked.

"No," he replied quietly.

"Rose has agreed to show you around. I have an appointment shortly, so I need to stay here."

Rose stood and Michael quickly followed.

"Honey told me you're very shy. Our robes have hoods you can pull up. When the hood is up it's a signal to others that you wish to be left alone. Let's put ours up until you get comfortable," Rose advised, putting her hood over her head.

Mike put his up too. Rose took his hand and led him from the house.

"We'll start on the north side, the children's area. With our hoods up the adults we see will treat us as if we're invisible. Kids, not so much. They may come up and greet us. We're a demonstrative group. There's lots of hugging and kissing here. The kids love strangers, so be prepared. Feel free to ask questions," she said.

"Okay."

"Are you aware we don't use money?"

"Yes."

"We barter and trade goods and services. Honey, as an example, is a healer. She trades her healings for things she needs. Autumn is a singer. She shares her songs and in turn we give her goods. Some people are growers. Some are builders. Get the idea?"

"Yeah. What do you do?" he asked.

"I knit and sew mostly. Honey offered a healing today if I would show you around. I would have done it anyway, but it's more polite to accept the offer."

"Are you sick?" Michael asked.

"No. Honey's treatment will be a massage. She's wonderful."

"I have nothing to trade."

"We all have something. Honey said she's going to teach you how to do treatments. I get to be your first."

"I'm giving you a massage?" he asked.

"You'll be learning on me. This building is our school. Many in the community are college graduates. We don't teach technology here, so if someone is planning on going to college they spend six months to a year with a tutor in Sacramento for the tech stuff. I just completed that and will be going to UC Davis in the fall."

"What are you going to study?"

"Childhood education. I want to come back here and teach."

"Rose!!" a small voice screamed and suddenly they were surrounded with kids from about five to ten. There were lots of hugs and kisses.

"Guys, this is my friend Michael. Can you make him feel welcome too?"

He was surrounded by the children and enjoying the attention. Kids were fine. Mike had trouble being with adults. After several minutes the kids left them.

"See what I mean? They're demonstrative."

"Yes, they are."

"The other building there is a nursery and pre-school. It allows parents time for other things like work, play, and relaxation. You pay with time. Drop the kids for two hours and payback by volunteering an hour."

"Does anybody ever skip out?" Mike asked.

"Our whole community is based on mutual respect. That would be disrespectful. I've never heard of it happening. Ready to move on?"

"Sure."

They headed toward the south and passed through the housing area.

"There are only a few people who live alone. Honey does, but she works out of her house too. I live with three other girls about my age. We have one big open room. Well, a bathroom too. There are some couples, some families. Two of the yurts are like bunk houses for guys. We heat and cook with wood stoves."

"How about air conditioning in the summer?" he asked.

"That requires electricity. We don't use that. Unless someone drives in like you did today, you won't hear the noise pollution of motors. We hear nature, music, and laughter out here." She chuckled. "And Sharon. She gets really vocal when she has sex."

Mike laughed. At the south side of the housing area, they looked over the valley. Small garden plots were everywhere with people working in them. Most wore robes like the ones they wore, a few were naked. Rose saw his surprise.

"It's just bodies. We all have them."

"I've just never seen people that way in public."

"This is our home. It's private. When we leave and actually do go out in public we wear regular clothes."

"Why the robes rather than normal clothes?" Mike asked.

"Before I came here I went to public school. People were categorized and judged by the way they were dressed. Rich-poor. Stylish-drab. Punk-preppy. God, everything you can imagine. It separated them. Here we're all equal. There's no competition for most popular, richest, best dressed. None of that matters. It's a big time saver too. No wasting time wondering what to wear."

"Does your water come from the river down there?"

"Only for the fields. We're on top of an aquifer. Most of the buildings get water from that or collect rain water. We get our fish from the river. There's also a pond down there. We swim in that. Wanna go into the valley or move on?"

"Let's move on," Mike replied.

They headed toward the east and after cresting a small hill they stopped.

"This is Fairy Vale. Beautiful, isn't it?"

Mike was distracted. In the grassy area, in full view, was a couple having sex.

"Wouldn't you rather see people sharing love than fighting?"

"Well, yeah, but...."

"We're very open here. Especially in the vale. It's kind of magical here. The large grassy area stays green all year long. It stays the same height and never needs mowing. Deer come here, but I don't think they keep it that way. There are flowers blooming all year round and no one tends them. We hold all our celebrations and festivals here."

"Like what?"

"At least once a week we do a music festival. On the full moon we have our lunar celebrations. Those are family events so everyone stays clothed. At the solstice and equinox, we have our biggest celebrations. During the day it's family but in the evening it's strictly adults. Very few people wear anything and there's lots of what Autumn and Pine are doing."

"Is everyone called something from nature?"

"Yes. We rarely use birth names here."

"Have you decided on mine?"

Rose smiled. "I have an idea, but I want to speak with Honey about it first."

"What is it?" he asked.

"Secret. We'll see. Think it's been an hour yet?"

"At least. Is there a bathroom around here?"

"For peeing, pick a spot. For anything else there are bathrooms in most of the buildings and outhouses scattered around."

"Okay."

"Do you need to pee?" she asked.

"Yeah."

"Lift the front of your robe and pee then."

"Here?"

"Oh, for heaven sake," Rose said, then squatted raising the bottom of her robe out of the way and peed. "It's a natural function of the body." Rose stood and stepped over the small puddle she'd just made then turned her back to him. "Go. I'm not looking. Don't pee on me. I'm not into that."

It took him a minute to get started but he finally emptied his bladder.

"Okay. That's better," he said.

"Just FYI. Don't pee where people are walking. Step off the trail."

"Got it."

They walked back to Honey's house and knocked.

"It's open," she called.

Rose stepped in first, pulling her hood down. Mike did the same as he entered then froze. Honey was completely naked chopping fruit on the kitchen counter.

"Grandma!" he blurted.

She turned facing him. "I prefer to be called Honey or Honeysuckle please. And close your mouth. You look like you've just seen Freddy Kreuger. They're tits, pussy, and ass. Women have those. Get over it."

"Yes, ma'am," he replied.

"Honey," she said grabbing his cheeks. "Not ma'am. Not grandma. Okay?"

Rose laughed, "He had a couple of surprises earlier too."

"I've been here so long I guess I forgot what it's like for a newcomer. You'll adapt soon enough. Rose, ready for that treatment?"

"Whenever you are," she replied.

"My table is already set up in the front room," Honey informed her. "Michael, you're helping."

"On my front or back?"

"Lay on your stomach. We'll do the whole body."

Rose took Mike's hand and led him to the front room. It was like a glass enclosed porch with windows covering three sides. There were sheer curtains already drawn. Rose quickly pulled her robe off over her head. Michael's jaw dropped seeing the beautiful young woman standing nude before him. His hands quickly covered his erection.

DocWords
DocWords
3,304 Followers
12