His Guiding Light

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It was my pleasure Melody. You should bring her with you into the office from time to time. I'd love to see her, and I'm sure the important people, which would be Cassie and her parents would love to also. Can I help you get her into the car?"

She hadn't picked up on the jealousy vibe from Cassie until she cut into dance, but she was aware of it now. Not wanting to piss off the CEO's daughter's, she smartly, but kindly declined.

Several minutes later, Zach walked over and whispered to Cassie, "Did you ride with your parents?" She nodded. "Can I give you a ride, so we can stop somewhere to talk?" She nodded again.

Zach walked over to the Ortizs and said, "Cassie has agreed to let me give her a ride. Since she came with you, I just wanted to let you know." Sam was rather stoic, but Gabriella back in proper, finishing-school form had an amused look on her face and nodded her assent.

After Zach left their table, Gabriella was beaming.

Sam said, "You're gloating."

Barely keeping her glee under control, Gabriella replied coolly and huskily, "I know."

He asked, "You do realize, if things go according to your plan, he'll probably spend the night at her place."

She said, "I trust our daughter to do the right thing. If his staying the night is the right thing, I have no problems with that."

He laughed, "You amaze me sometimes."

She kissed him on the cheek and said, "I have to keep you on your toes."

In the car Zach said, "My current place is my parents' house, so it's either a restaurant, your place or this car. It's up to you."

She said, "I think I would prefer my place."

They drove west out of downtown, past Rice University and the Galleria towards the general area where most everyone that worked for MCDI lived. The conversation was rather subdued, focusing mainly on what a nice event that was and how amazing the charity was for helping those women and the ones working to graduate the following year.

When he pulled into her place, he could see that she had a nice, but small townhome that looked relatively new. When he got out of his car, he grabbed the PI folder that had been in his back seat.

Once inside she asked, "Would you like something to drink?"

"No, thank you. I need every brain cell for this. Though I reserve the right to kill off most of them later."

She poured herself a glass of wine, and they sat in her living room. With a sweep of her arm, she said, "Okay. The floor is yours."

He asked, "What do you know about my divorce from Lisa?"

"Ah, ah. This isn't about querying me. This is your story to tell."

He let out a long sigh. "Fine. This may take a while."

He told her about everything, from the night they first met, to falling in love, he thought. He explained the quirkiness he felt from her when he returned from his trips, her reluctance to play the violin anymore and how Mindy's pregnancy sparked Lisa's interest in maybe their starting a family. Then he told her about the call from his brother, the picture in the newspaper and the PI report.

He said, "I brought the report on shithead, so you can see what kind of person he was. I can point to two lives that he's destroyed plus several others that he's hurt. He leaves misery everywhere he goes. I do not understand why he was celebrated so much. Before I tell you what happened next, I'd like for you to take a minute to look at the PI file on him."

She looked him dead in the eye and said, "No. That's okay. If you tell me the man is poison, I believe you."

He thought 'poison' was a curious choice of words, but he forged ahead. "Okay. So, on that statement, here we go. As was said, the man is poison. He'd hurt countless people, pushed one woman over the edge, no telling what he did to Lisa, beyond crushing her love for playing music, and was admittedly complicit in the destruction of my marriage. I wanted him to pay for crimes for which he would never be convicted, and for which some in even 'higher circles' applauded him. Call it what you want: revenge, retribution, justice, or something else.

"So, with the help of a few others, we formulated a plan to get justice on him and keep me out of jail. It didn't go quite according to our plan. Please don't ever reveal the names of my coconspirators. Your mother and father supposedly sent me on a trip overseas. My brother was the one who went on that trip because I needed to be the one that performed this act, and his going through immigration while I did it, gave me my alibi. He supposedly worked from home that day. I even made a quick dash into his office early that morning to get some files so 'he' could work from home and so the security cameras would see 'him' at his office.

"I caused the gas explosion at Gerald's house. My intent was for it to kill him, but he must be a tough old bird because he survived, badly damaged, but alive. This means that while I'm not technically a murderer, I am an attempted murderer. My final revenge is that Lisa went with him to Austin to try and help him recover. Why? I don't know. But I know something she doesn't. I have a recording of him saying things that would likely cause her to leave him, but I'm getting to punish her by letting her stay with the miserable bastard.

"Afterwards, I just wanted to get away, because I wouldn't be able to stand the pity while I was so miserable. Your dad let me go to Germany, where I was miserable until the day you showed up. Then when you left, I was miserable all over again, but for a different reason. I wanted to go to Barcelona, too, but while in Belfast, I realized that I needed to have this conversation with you.

"If you were just a date or someone who I knew I couldn't get serious with, then it wouldn't matter, but after our time in Vienna, I knew I could get very serious with you. I didn't want to waste your time being with someone who you would probably reject because of what I've done. I could NOT build our relationship on a foundation that hid such a huge secret.

He finished with, "So, that's everything, all of it."

While watching him, she to a long sip of her wine and then asked, "So, that's it? Nothing else you need to tell me about?"

"I just told you I tried to kill someone, how does anything else compare?"

"What about in high school? You and the quarterback?"

He squinted at her for a moment and asked, "Who told you about that?"

She replied, "For someone that knows my family so well, I'm surprised that you aren't connecting all the dots, yet."

Zach sighed and shook his head, "Obviously, you have me at a disadvantage, and I'm emotionally exhausted. Could you please fill a clueless guy in?"

"You know my mother loves you, right? She does. Do you have any idea how long I've been hearing about you? She's wanted you and me to be a couple for a long, long time, since well before you met Lisa. There were times when I thought you sounded interesting and times when I didn't want to hear another word about you. Zachariah, Zachariah, Zachariah was all I heard. Then you became engaged to Lisa. My mother was crushed...crushed.

"I went from hearing all about you to nothing. Then after I started with the company, I was seeing more of mom and dad, and you, too. Right before you left for Germany, I could tell something was weighing on her. Remember the night I saw you after you had dinner with my parents? That was when I found out about your divorce. She wept for you when she found out about Lisa's affair, because she was hurt too. She missed you so much while you were gone and kept telling Daddy to bring you back. When I needed to go to Vienna and Munich for work, she enlisted me to check on you.

"I didn't mind. I'd heard glowing things about you for years, so I knew you were a good guy. Most everyone in the company likes you too. Some think you are a brown-noser because they think you suck up to my mom. The people that matter don't think that because you don't suck up to my dad. We hadn't had much interaction since I joined the company, but you were always polite and friendly.

"Hence, I was curious about what I was going to get when I arrived in Germany. Before I left, Mother and Daddy sat me down for a talk to prepare me, because for years all I had heard were glowing reports, and now they were genuinely concerned about you. They told me everything they knew.

"I must admit, I was a little surprised. Believe it or not, I was less surprised by them than I was about you. My parents are fierce defenders of family and their moral code is to always try to do the right thing. Maybe that's why you and she get along so well.

"After our first day spent together, it took a great deal of willpower not to pull you into my room and screw your brains out all night long. That would have been the only way that day could have been better. Of course, had I done that, we wouldn't have seen much of Vienna. By Saturday night, when we were riding in the back of that carriage under that blanket, again, I was wanting our hands to wander all over each other. Those few days in Vienna was perfect, and I was already falling for you.

I promise you, had we gone to Barcelona, we may or may not have seen the cathedral, because I had only booked one room, and I wasn't planning on our leaving it very often. I hope that tells you where my mind was at."

He shook his head, "I can't believe you've known all this time and could still have feelings for me."

She said, "I have, but this was your secret to share. As you said, we shouldn't start a relationship with such a huge secret, but you had to be the one to tell me. I was angry and frustrated because I wanted more, but if you couldn't muster the will to have this conversation, then we could never be anything."

He replied, "I'm sorry for hurting you, but I didn't know how to overcome this."

"Always trust me, and I'll always trust you. THAT is how we will start."

He thought that was a damn good place to start. "I like the sound of that. So where do we go from here?"

"Well, no more making me jealous by doing such cute things with someone else's daughter."

"I told you I didn't know I could make you jealous at the time. No more dating doctors or anyone else for you."

She came and sat by him, "I promise you, that wasn't a real date, but it served its purpose, which was to get back to you, to hopefully get you moving. Also, if you and I are to become something, then you need to be careful regarding how tightly my mother has you wrapped around her finger."

He laughed at that. "That could be difficult, but if it's any consolation, I spent a lot of time while you were in Europe wishing I was wrapped around you instead."

"You did?" She leaned in and kissed him. It was a nice kiss on the lips.

"I did." Then he kissed her back, enthusiastically, and the feelings they had while together in Europe zoomed past rekindling and exploded. It was a good thing no one could see into her place because it took them about twenty seconds to get naked on her couch. While they both cared for each other, there wasn't much love involved at the moment. Their lust was driving their passions, which quickly ended up with Zach on his back on the couch and Cassie riding him.

As he was getting close, he said, "I'm about to cum."

"I'm on the pill, and don't stop until I drop."

It had been a long time for him, so he felt like he pumped a gallon into her, but even after he came, he stayed hard long enough for her to climax and collapse on top of him.

"Oh God, I needed that. Mmm, that was very, very nice." She gave him a quick peck on the lips and said, "Come on. Before I start dripping everywhere, come wrap yourself around me like you said you would, but let's do it in my bed."

He did.

One more time that night and twice the next morning, and they were both sore and very sated.

After lunch, her phone rang. Caller ID told her it was Gabriella. She laughed and said, "My mom's checking in. I'm almost surprised she didn't call you."

She answered her phone, "Hey, Mother how's it going?"

"Quite well, thank you. Did you and Zachariah have a chance to talk things out?"

"We did. I think we've decided to give it a try." She winked at Zach.

"Oh, I'm so glad to hear that. Would the two of you be able to join us for dinner tomorrow night?"

"I can probably find a way to ensure that he's there, but I need to call Zachariah first."

She heard a disappointed, "Oh," through the phone.

Cassie yelled, "Hey, Zachariah, can we have dinner with my parents tomorrow?"

After a short pause, Gabriella said, "Feeling rather full of yourself aren't you Cassandra?"

"I am."

"I'm glad, very, very glad. Give my love to your new man."

"I intend to, as often as he can."

She definitely wasn't her mother. Zach knew this was going to be fun.

_______________

Around a month later, early in the morning, Zach was in Austin at a rehab facility waiting until it was time for a little visit. Once he knew Gerald would be in therapy, he pulled the large bag from the car's trunk and went inside to the waiting area, where Lisa was sitting. She looked so much older than he remembered. She had lost several pounds. Her auburn hair wasn't as kept as it was when they were married. Most of all, she looked very, very tired, as if something, or someone, had sucked the life from her.

"Good morning, Lisa."

"Zach! What are you doing here? Wait a minute. If you are here to gloat, don't bother. I know how I wound up here."

"No, Lisa. I'm not here to gloat. I'm here to apologize and to forgive you."

"I don't think I deserve your forgiveness, but an apology? For what?"

He said, "Not long after we last saw each other in the hospital, I learned some things. I could have shared them with you sooner, but I chose not to. A good friend has encouraged me to do the right thing and forgive you. We're hoping that what I'm about to share will help you."

"You want to help me?"

He replied, "I do. I need you to listen to this recording. You'll understand once you've finished."

Zach played the recording from his conversation with Gerald for her. It wasn't long. Afterwards her response wasn't what he expected, which was for her to get angry, either with Gerald for saying it or him for not sharing it with her sooner. Her expression was simply one of sadness.

She asked, "Why bring this to me now? You could have let me spend the rest of my life, or his, taking care of him."

"Because I met someone who I care about dearly. She reminded me that it's always important to do the right thing, even when someone isn't looking. I know that. It doesn't bother me that I hurt Gerald. He deserved it, but because I love you, then I shouldn't let him continue to hurt you."

She said, "I always suspected it was you that caused the gas explosion, but I wasn't going to try to get anyone to prove it." That statement told Zach that her helping Gerald was more a sense of obligation than love.

"I..." then he thought better of what he was about to say, not wanting to dwell on what he did. He changed course, "I had planned on waiting three years before sharing that tape with you, which is how long we were married. I was made to see that over the years you've already paid an extremely high price for being involved with him. You've suffered enough.

"Do you remember hearing about the young lady that killed herself after his devastating review of her performance? What if he had been that way after our divorce towards you? He doesn't care about anything or anybody. All he does is use people to make himself look superior. He uses you to make him look better because you're beautiful and people see you with him. Don't let him use you anymore. He doesn't deserve you, and you are letting him continue to hurt you, when he doesn't care about you...nor your music. All he cares about is himself. However, we, my family, our families, do care for you and want you to be rid of him because he's hurting you. It would be terrible if he succeeded in turning you into being just like him."

Lisa wondered how much of her life had she poured into that sad man? How had she allowed herself to be so easily duped and for so long? His snarkiness wasn't some kind of enlightenment. It was simply some self-superiority he felt he had, and other had supported. For some reason many of the Texas papers had allowed his familial position, his teaching position and his cute commentary to help sell papers. Remembering the young lady who killed herself, she realized that she was one of many that had enabled Gerald. He got off on hurting others and putting them in their place as he did to her. She had allowed it and even had encouraged it at times. She wouldn't any longer.

She looked at Zach, who she had loved so dearly. She still loved him, and a tear ran down her face. She asked, "What's in the bag?"

This is from my entire family to you. I'm not sure why you left it behind, but I hope you'll learn to love it again and think kindly of us when you use it. He pulled her violin case from the bag, and she couldn't hold it in any longer. Her parents had paid a small fortune for that violin when she made the first chair in the Houston youth orchestra. They had been so proud. She had left it behind because she knew she would never play it around Gerald.

She broke down and held on to Zach while she cried for all of the lost years, her lost music and her lost marriage. He didn't fight her or try to push her away. He wrapped his arms around her and held her until she was calmer. He genuinely hoped she could get her life straightened out, away from that piece of shit.

Several minutes later, after she had composed herself, she said, "I should go. Where I don't know, but I'm getting away from him. I'm sorry that I hurt you so much that you would do what you did to him and allow me to stay with him knowing what you know. I'll always be sorry for hurting you. Thank you for coming Zach. I will always love you."

She took the case, walked out the door and drove away.

He loved her, too.

_____________

A week after Zach returned to Houston, Miriam checked in on Lisa and found out that she had left Gerald. In fact, she never saw him again, and he never made it out of the wheelchair.

The reason Miriam went to see her was because she wanted Lisa to teach her children the violin. Lisa refused at first, but eventually Miriam, her husband and the kids wore her down. She remembered how much Zach's family had complimented her on her playing early on and the joy she could give others either by playing or teaching. She wished she would have listened to them sooner.

Her rediscovery of her music and her teaching helped Lisa tremendously. Seeing the smiles on the kids and Miriam's face brought a smile to her own. She became friends with Miriam and her family, who helped her immediately after leaving Gerald. They even encouraged her to reconnect with Mindy and Robert. She apologized to Robert for getting Mindy involved in her affair.

They accepted her apology and invited her to come and meet their daughter. It was a good reunion. She hated that she had missed so much in the last year. Eventually she moved back to Houston, and with a little help began transitioning to teaching violin full time. Also, she sought out help from her hospital to understand why she would have allowed Gerald to hold such power over her. Once she had regained her playing skills, she even played some with the Houston symphony and would occasionally pull in a few of her colleagues from there to play for a new charity foundation that had started in Houston called the WoW Foundation.

___________

Zach and Cassie, of course, were married.

At the reception, while dancing with Gabriella, Zach asked, "Mrs. Ortiz, I was born in the south and raised by some rather strict southerners, so I don't think I'll ever be able to call you Gabriella. However, if you would let me, I'd be honored to call you Mother."

1...345678