His Name Was Jack

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The next of Jack's visitation weekends found me out of town. I had flown back to California to visit with my family, which I did a few times a year. My parents are divorced; dad had an optometrist shop and had a fling with his assistant, which my mother did not appreciate and promptly sent him packing. Mom now works for a real estate office and dad is on wife number 3.

The following visit (the visits are every two weeks, in case that wasn't clear before now) brought something of a surprise. The drop off went the same, and on Sunday Julie came early to talk with me as she had before, only this time she had a request. After some pleasantries and her inquiry as to my whereabouts two weeks ago, she hit me with it.

"Say, Henry, my bank is sponsoring a big fundraising dinner at the Four Seasons next week and I was wondering if you'd be my escort."

I was certainly flattered by the offer but I wasn't inclined to accept it. First of all, I was worried about how it would affect Jack personally and also our friendship. Also, since I had no intention of getting involved with a woman that felt the need to cheat I saw no reason to go even a step down that path.

"What about Jack?"

"We're divorced, and everyone knows it. If I were to show up with him it would set the tongues to wagging and I have no interest in being the topic of conversation."

"Well, then there's probably some guy in your office or that works nearby that could take you." I was remembering what Jack had said about her extramarital liaison.

"Again, that would get people talking. If I were to show up with a co-worker it would definitely crank up the rumor mill, not to mention maybe giving the guy ideas which could make things uncomfortable."

The truth was I wouldn't mind going, and I'm a sucker for a damsel in distress.

"I don't know, Julie. That's not really my thing. Surely there's someone out there that won't crank up the gossip mill."

"Actually, besides Jack and the men I work with, you're the only man I know. Please, Henry. It includes dinner and there'll even be a dance floor. It could be fun."

My resolve weakened at the mention of free food and a night out. I reasoned that just because I went with Julie didn't mean I had to stay with her the whole night. I had actually been considering trying to rebuild a social life and this might be the opportunity to do just that.

"All right, Julie. What do I need to wear?"

"Do you have a suit?"

"Not a new one. I've had it for some time and I use it for funerals and such. It would probably be out of place at something like this."

"Maybe it's time for a new one."

Actually it was. That was something I had also been considering but hadn't needed one since my great grandmother's funeral a couple of years ago so I kept putting it off. I agreed to see what I could arrange on short notice. Also, I didn't want Jack knowing about this so I told Julie she'd need to bring the kids to Jack's (he was babysitting for her) and then go back home, and I would pick her up there.

The next day I was at a local menswear shop getting fitted for a nice black suit. Yes, black; always black. It works anywhere for anything. It cost me extra to get it tailored in time for the party but that's the way it goes. I also got a belt, new shoes, and a couple of shirts and ties. There go the profits from the rocking chair.

When the evening of the party rolled around I dressed myself up and left the house as Jack was herding the kids inside. I wanted to avoid him seeing me dressed up, thinking he might somehow make the connection that I was escorting his ex. My plan worked smoothly and I arrived at Julie's right on time.

She, of course, was not quite ready, having just gotten back to her house a few minutes before I did. She was mostly dressed but had some make-up to put on and to put the finish on her hair. But when she came out my first thought was that the wait was totally worth it.

She wore a sleeveless burgundy gown that stopped just above her ankles. It hugged her curves and emphasized them while minimizing the display of her breasts, which as I mentioned were on the small side. Her deep raven hair had been straightened and hung down, except for a small section that she had pinned back behind her left ear. She was positively stunning, and I told her so.

She smiled widely, pleased at the compliment, and I took her arm and escorted her to my truck. It was nothing fancy but it was in good shape. I needed a truck primarily to accommodate my furniture projects, but the cab was quite clean and well kept.

As I expected the party was high brow and I felt out of place from the first moment. These people just exuded class. They were friendly, but seemed to sense that I wasn't one of them.

Julie was peppered with questions about who I was ('a friend') and I admit to being impressed with the way she handled all the questions and seemed perfectly at ease. We found our table and sat for a few minutes before being approached by some older couples. I was introduced to the bank vice-president and his wife, along with Julie's branch manager and her husband.

The evening rolled along predictably. There were speeches and a large check showing the amount of the donation was ceremoniously presented. There didn't seem to be a lot of partner swapping happening on the dance floor so what dancing I did was done with Julie, though I found I didn't mind that so much. Her body was soft and warm, and I found myself responding. Of course, in this environment there was no 'dirty dancing' type stuff going on so I doubt she was aware of it.

When the evening was over I dropped Julie off at her house. I escorted her to the door and got the sense she was looking for a good night kiss, but that would have implied this was more than it was so I simply thanked her for an enjoyable evening and headed back to my truck. She waited just outside her slightly open door and waved as I pulled away.

As I drove home I again lamented Julie's nature. Given a different set of circumstances I could definitely see wanting to get to know her better. But this evening out did tell me that I might just be ready to dip my toe back in the dating pool.

<><><><><>

The next couple of months went along as normal. Julie brought the kids over for their visitation with Jack, and on Sundays when she would arrive early so she could sit and chat with me for a while. Then she'd get her car and pull up to Jack's house and off she went with the kids. Despite my intentions, I hadn't really developed much of a social life and I found myself looking forward to her visits.

Then I had a date.

It was a blind date, but a date nonetheless. One of the restaurant managers that I had become friends with had a friend she thought I might be compatible with, and asked if I'd mind if she set us up. 'What the hell', I thought, and gave her the go ahead. After a get-to-know-you phone call we set a date for that Friday night.

The date itself was nothing special. She was pretty and nice but there was no spark. We had a good time but when I walked her to the door I we exchanged a simple handshake and nothing more was said about getting together again. A few weeks later I ran across the manager who had set us up and she said her friend felt the same way I did about her: I was nice enough but didn't catch her interest, and there were no hard feelings.

However, when Julie came around that Sunday night to pick up the kids, she asked where I had been on Friday since I hadn't been in the workshop when she dropped the kids off. I told her about the date and her expression changed, and I swear there was a slight smile when I told her it didn't work out and we didn't plan to see each other again, but I couldn't be sure.

On the next custody weekend, Julie broke pattern and stopped to see my on Friday. She dropped off the kids then drove away before coming around the other way and parking out if sight like she did during pick up.

"Hey, Jules. This is a surprise."

"I wanted to ask you a favor."

"Sure. What's up?"

"There's a couple of guys at work that have been putting the moves on me. I told you before I wasn't interested in dating anyone from work but they keep on asking. Finally I told them I already had a boyfriend and I'd let him know if they didn't stop bothering me. I hoped that was the end of it but then they asked if it was the guy I had brought to the corporate party, meaning you, and without really thinking I said yes."

"So you just need me to be okay with you floating me out there as your boyfriend to keep the wolves at bay? That's fine."

"Actually...I was going to ask for a little more than that."

"I'm listening."

"A bunch of us from work are going out tomorrow night, and they insisted I bring my boyfriend since everyone else will be bringing their significant others. I was wondering if you'd mind going with me."

Ugh. The idea of a night out with a bunch of people I didn't know had very little appeal, and pretending to be Julie's boyfriend while doing that didn't make things any better, though I found myself enjoying the idea of spending another evening out with her. But since I knew there was no future with her because of her cheating on Jack, I couldn't very well try anything with her because that might give her the wrong idea. But since I would be her date it wouldn't be appropriate for anything to happen with anybody else. But in the end I did exactly what you probably expected. I said yes.

The one thing I did feel bad about was doing this behind Jack's back, especially when he invited me over to watch the game that night and I had to decline because of my date with Julie. I thought about telling Jack about it but, even though I knew there was no future for Julie and me, I wasn't sure how Jack would react so I kept it to myself.

There ended up being 8 couples all together, including both of the guys that had been putting the moves on Julie. They both had dates with them but apparently they were just that: dates. They weren't serious or monogamous; they just went out together every once in a while. Both of the women were drop-dead gorgeous, and part of me wondered if one or both of the guys hoped their dates would seduce me away from Julie, thus making her available.

Dinner at Texas Roadhouse was good but uneventful. They managed to get us into 3 large booths next to each other so that we could keep up the conversation. After dinner we went to a country and western bar and dance club, and that's where things got interesting.

At first everyone was dancing with their own partners, but it wasn't too long before some mixing took place, and Julie got asked a couple of times by the Workplace Casanovas. She turned them both down without hesitation and they retreated. Julie seemed to be enjoying the music and put them out of her mind but I kept an eye on both couples, and it looked like they went to a corner to strategize.

Sure enough, the larger breasted of the two women made her way over to me while Julie made her way to the restroom. Her name was Destiny (or so she said) and she had long blonde curls and boobs that couldn't possibly be all-natural. She plopped herself into Julie's chair uninvited.

"You know," she said, "it's not fair that the best looking guy in the place is monopolized by just one woman. How about showing me around the dance floor?"

I gave her a little smile and thanked her for the compliment, and then politely declined her offer. That seemed to surprise her, and it occurred to me she probably had rarely, if ever, been told no by a man.

"Are you sure, big boy? I'll make it worth your while?"

"And just how do you plan to do that?"

"Well, you know Johnny and me aren't really together. He just needed a date for tonight and invited me along. I always agree and he understands that just because I came with him doesn't mean I'm gonna leave with him, if you catch my drift. I'd like to leave with you, and I promise you won't be disappointed."

"That's certainly an inviting offer, Destiny, but I'm gonna pass."

"You can't mean you'd rather get horizontal with that Nancy No-Tits you came with rather than me. You're really gonna turn down the chance to make my body your own personal playground?"

"Her name is Julie, and I'd take her over you every time. She may not have your, um, assets, but it might do you well to remember a few things: not every guy is into plastic body parts, and even if I did find your 'playground' interesting, frankly I'm far too concerned with how many others have played there to ever think about doing it myself."

For some reason she became indignant and seemed insulted, and she stalked away. I watched with interest as she and the other 3 co-conspirators gathered again, presumably to debrief.

"That was very nice. Thank you."

The voice came from behind me and startled me a bit. Julie then came around the table and took her seat next to me.

"What was?"

"I heard what you said about me, and it was nice. When I came out of the restroom and saw Silicone Barbie sitting next to you I was afraid you might leave with her. I was flattered when you said you'd choose me over her."

"And it has the advantage of being true. I'm far less interested in the package than I am in what's inside, though frankly she came up short on both counts."

As the night wore on we danced a few times but spent much of the evening talking. Johnny and his cohorts never bothered us again. The party broke up around midnight and I took her home, again avoiding anything resembling intimacy and going on my way.

<><><><><>

The next night Julie arrived early as usual. She thanked me for a nice time last night and then asked if she could ask me another favor. By now I think we both knew I would say yes if it wasn't too onerous, and so the following weekend I found myself again suited up, this time to attend the wedding of one of her friends from work. Jack was watching the kids even though this wasn't his weekend, and I again had to beg off when he invited me to hang out.

Weddings, as most people know, are different from anything else in terms of a social situation. The entire atmosphere is thick with love and romance; not just for the new Happy Couple but for everyone in attendance, and even I was not immune to it.

Julie and I danced several times and there was a different vibe than when we had done it in the club. Her body was pressed closer to mine than she had done before, and I even found myself holding her a little closer, a little tighter than I had before as well. She put her head on my shoulder and I could feel her breath against my neck. I was getting aroused and I was pretty sure she was aware of it.

Eventually the party wound down and Julie and I took our leave. I took back to her house and then drove back to my house, making it inside without Jack seeing me dressed up. I doubted he would make any connection between Julie and me but I was still being careful.

A bit later I heard Julie's car pull up and I watched her through the window. She truly was a beautiful woman and I found myself cursing the circumstances that prevented us from making a go of things. And watching her made me thing about the closeness we had shared at the wedding and I found myself getting hard again.

I must have been distracted by watching Julie because I never even heard Linda's car pull up. The first I was aware of it was when there was a knock on the door, and only then did I realize that Julie's gaze had shifted to my walkway. She was watching Linda make her way to my door.

I opened the door and Linda again strode in uninvited. She wore stockings and high heels, along with a long trench coat that was really out of place for the weather. I was just about to mention that when the coat dropped to the floor and revealed that Linda was wearing nothing except that coat, those stockings, and those heels. Her large breasts jutted high and proud in front of her, and her lips protruded from her hairless pussy. They glistened in the light and I knew without a doubt, having seen it many times before, that she was almost unbearably horny and she expected me to do something about it, and right now.

"Linda, you need to put your coat back on and go!"

"No, Henry. I mean to have you fuck me and I'm not leaving until you do."

With that she plopped herself on to my couch and spread her legs, a sight that had enticed me many times over the years and was doing so now, though mostly due to what Julie had done to me today. Linda began stroking her slit and then slid a couple fingers inside herself. Before long she basically forgot I was there and was just concentrating on her own pleasure. After just a few more thrusts of her fingers she let out a strong groan as she came and came hard.

Now I'm gonna have to clean the couch.

"I just needed to get that out of the way, lover. But I still need you to service me properly. Shall we adjourn to the bedroom or do you want to take me right here?"

I was tempted; don't think that I wasn't, but I would not be ruled by my libido and I was able to push my desire for her aside. Besides, her attitude had ticked me off.

"Linda, I told you no. I'm not going to be your fuck buddy now or ever. You made your choice and now you have to live with it. I'm no more willing to be the other man than I was being the one cheated on. Now please get dressed and leave, and don't come here again unless you have a good reason and call first."

"But Henry..." she whined.

"No, Linda. You need to leave."

With no shortage of pouting she picked up her coat and put it on. She walked slowly to the door and opened it. But before she left she had one more thing to say.

"Henry, for what it's worth I regret my choice. The money is nice but I feel mostly empty. I thought it would be different, but I'd give it all up to go back to what we had. I miss it, and I miss you so much. Is there any chance you'd take me back if I left Walter?"

"No chance, Linda. I can't tell you what to do about Walter but coming back to me is not an option. I'm sorry."

She nodded in resignation. She knew the answer before she asked the question but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I think she was wrong about that, thought; I'm pretty sure my rejection hurt her more than she tried to let on. Without another word she walked out the door and drove away.

I looked out the window and Julie's car was nowhere to be seen.

<><><><><>

The next weekend passed without a visit from Julie. She came and dropped off the kids as normal, but on Sunday she didn't come early as she had been. She pulled straight up to Jack's and picked up the kids. In neither case did she even look in my direction. I guessed she was done with me and tried to push it out of my mind.

Of course, human nature being what it is, I was not particularly successful at putting it behind me. Even though we weren't going anywhere I had enjoyed spending time with her and now it seemed I had done something to piss her off, and not knowing what that might be made me more than a little curious. So I made up my mind to try and find out.

I needed to try and get her attention without Jack being aware of it. After giving it some thought I had an idea, and I patiently waited two weeks for Jack's next visitation.

When Julie's car pulled up and before Jack was out of the house I held up a large dry erase board that I had for making notes. On it I had written 'Can you please come 10 minutes early on Sunday so we can talk?' She saw the message, made a thoughtful face, and then simply looked me in the eyes and nodded. I smiled and that was that.

On Sunday she pulled up out of sight and walked over to where I awaited her inside my workshop. She wore something of a scowl.

"So I'm here. What do you want?"

I was a bit taken aback by the vitriol, especially considering all the favors I had done for her, and suddenly I wasn't concerned about her opinion.