Home for the Holidays Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Now they were driving to the World Headquarters of The Vision at speeds that would get most citizens pulled over for speeding, if not reckless driving. Cindy used her iPhone to open the gate, and the gate guards were smart enough to stay out of her way and let her blast through.

She tore into the main building, Callie trying to keep up, and got onto the elevator to Dr. Eckhart's office.

"Ah, Cindy!" said a beaming Dr. Eckhart as she came out of the elevator. "Ah, I'm glad you also came, Miss Callie." He came over and hugged them both.

"Father, you said come home right away." Cindy said. "Are you okay? Is everything all right?"

"Oh yes, yes. Everything is fine. Better than fine. Here's why I needed you to come back." Dr. Eckhart said, his outstretched hand pointing to the doors on the far side of the office. One of them opened, and Cindy gasped...

Part 12 - Day of Thanksgiving

"Okay," said Laura as she, Paulina, and Phyllis finished preparations in the kitchen of The Cabin, "that's all done. This is going to be a huge day." It was Thursday, November 22d. Thanksgiving Day.

"Yes, it is." said Phyllis Troy, Don's mother. "Teresa and Todd called yesterday and asked if it was too late to join the party, that they were back from their trip. So they and their boys will be coming."

"And Cindy and Callie also came home early, and asked if they could come." said Laura. "In fact, Cindy insisted. Said she had a big surprise for all of us."

"I wonder what that could be?" Paulina asked as she poured the green beans into a serving bowl.

"I have no idea." said Laura. She did not observe that Phyllis's face did not have a look of surprise... nor did Carole's face as she came into the kitchen.

"It's okay, Mommy." Carole said. "Murreee (Marie) and I set all the ex-tra places for them."

"Aw, you are such good girls!" Laura praised her daughter. "Thank you. Would you like to take these snacks out to everyone? And don't give Bowser or Buddy any; they're not good for them."

"Okay, Mommy!" Carole said. She took the tray of snacks and walked very fast into the greatroom, where a bunch of Troy family and friends were gathered.

"Yes, Uncle Don," said Todd as he and I talked of his trip to Teresa's town, "it was a good trip. Teresa didn't take the Police Chief job... no surprise, there... but I still may see if we can get a railroad to come through there again, and then I'll build a very secure facility in the desolate area northwest of there."

"Unless the National Security Agency beats you to it." I said. "They might build a facility like the one they have in Utah, where they keep a record of every cell phone call in the country. You don't want to be doing research near one of their facilities."

"That's true." said Todd. "Think they're the creeps that were following us around?" Teresa had told me the day before about what had gone on in her town, including relaying Cindy's story of the disappearing man as well as the strangenesses of the bugs and someone following them.

"I don't know." I said. "I'm going to talk to Jack Muscone about it later today, if I get a chance." Jack and Tanya and their kids were here.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Where are Cindy and Callie?" asked Cindy's mother Maggie Ross as she and her other daughter, Molly Evans, sat down at one of the long tables we'd set up in the greatroom.

"They're going to get here late." said Molly. "At least they're coming here instead of going to The Vision like they usually do."

"Oh, I never begrudge them that." said Maggie. "I understand Cindy wanting to spend a holiday with her father, and Thanksgiving is their big holiday down there instead of Christmas. But this year he chose to go back to Malaysia, so they're coming here."

"Except he canceled his trip to Malaysia the other day." Molly said. "Cindy told me that on the phone yesterday when she called to make sure you and I would be here today. Whatever the surprise is, it's going to be a big one."

Maggie was surprised to hear the news of Dr. Eckhart's trip cancellation. She became quiet, pensive, as she considered it.

The kids tables were set up in the front room, where the TVs were. The Macy's Thanksgiving Parade had been on, and the kids marveled at the balloons.

"I saw a documentary about the building of the Superman balloon in the early 1980s, at the Goodyear plant in the small town of Rockmart, Georgia. They had an artist from DC Comics come in and and paint his face, so that the balloon really looked like Superman in the comics. The balloons are composed of compartments, so that if Superman's arm loses its helium, the rest of him still flies."

"Why do they use helium?" asked Carole. "And what is helium?" She's five years old, I reminded myself.

"Helium is one of the gases in the air." I said. "It makes balloons float up instead of down."

"My mommy said helium is in the sun and the stars." said Marie, proud to be sharing some knowledge.

"That's right, baby." said Stephanie Steele, who was here with Edward, Selena, and Marie. Yes, it was a big gathering here today.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After lunch, most of the men and boys were watching the Detroit Lions making a huge comeback against the Atlanta Falcons from 20 points down, to win. "Falcons can't hold a lead to save their lives." growled Sheriff-to-be Griswold. "I hope they run against me for Sheriff next time!" Everyone laughed.

"Against you, they won't have a lead to squander, Chief." I replied. "The Falcons suck. I'm glad I don't live in Atlanta. It'd be humiliating to be from the Falcons's home town."

"At least they have the Georgia Bulldogs over in Athens." said Todd with a grin. "Right, Teresa?"

"War Damn Eagle." Teresa replied, reciting the battle cry of Georgia's rival, the Auburn Tigers.

"I feel so sorry for Auburn this coming Saturday." Joanne Warner said brightly. "Alabama is going to crush them! Roll Tide!"

"AROUND THE BOWL AND DOWN THE HOLE, ROLL TIDE ROLL!" came a chorus, led by Teresa. Joanne looked around in total shock as everyone laughed.

"I must be in the wrong house, Commander." Joanne said to me, with great dignity and coolness in her voice.

"No doubt." I said. "This is a Wildcat house."

"YEAH!" cried out Carole. "This is WILDCAT Country!"

"Yeah, go Wildcats!" chimed in Marie.

"Yeah!" chimed in little Jack Burke. "Go Wildcats!"

"You're a Wildcat fan, Jack?" asked a surprised Stephanie Steele.

"Yeah." said Jack. "My daddy went to college there." That caused me to peer over at Todd and Teresa.

"Yeah, we told him about his father." Todd whispered to me. "A little bit, anyway. He kept asking questions."

"You did the right thing." I said. "And he'll remember every word you tell him, so make sure it's the truth."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Cindy and Callie are coming." Carole announced an hour later.

"I don't hear anything----" I started, then heard Bowser bark, followed by the sound of tires on the driveway. "Did you hear them, Carole?"

"No sir." said Carole. "I just knew." I did not bother to ask how Carole knew. The Force was strong with my daughter.

Laura went to open the door. Callie came in first and said "Okay, everyone, please don't get loud." Then she stepped out of the way as Cindy came inside...

... holding a ten-month-old baby.

Gasps filled the room as everyone realized what was taking place. The little girl had pale white skin and raven black hair, and dark but lovely eyes. Those eyes darted all over the place, then she shyly laid her head down on Cindy's shoulder.

Cindy said "This is Betsy. I'm fostering her and in the process of adopting her. Betsy, this is your new family."

Carole, Tasha, and Marie had run up to Cindy and little Betsy, followed by Bowser (Buddy was in the greatroom, supervising from afar). Molly was next to get there. Maggie was standing stock-still, in shock.

"Come on in." I said. "Sit down. Looks like you have some things to tell us."

"That's the understatement of the year!" Molly said. Cindy came into the greatroom and sat down with Betsy on the sofa against the inner wall, which gave the occupant a view through the windows over the Town. Molly sat down one one side of her, and Maggie on the other.

"Say hello to your Aunt Molly." said Cindy. She handed Betsy to Molly, who said "Hi, Betsy Ross... now that's a name!" People chuckled. After a few moments, Molly handed Betsy back to Cindy, who turned and handed her to Maggie.

"Oh, she's so precious." said Maggie. Betsy smiled brightly at Maggie as Maggie said hello in baby-talk.

"I can't wait to hear about this one." said Teresa, loudly. It was a 'hint'.

"Well," said Cindy as Maggie held Betsy in her lap, "some of you know I applied to be a foster parent. I didn't expect anything this quickly, though. This little girl was born last January 6th. Her mother is in prison, and Betsy was born there. The mother's parents claimed the child, so she was not sold off into the system." I winced, remembering the past scandals of the Consultant of Crime's baby-sale rings.

"The grandparents, the Von Telsings, lived in the City." Cindy continued. "She passed away some weeks back, and he died of cancer just a few days ago. My father has contacts with DFACS, and found out about this child."

"What about the girl's father?" Maggie asked.

"The mother in prison is married, and her husband is in jail, also." said Cindy. "But Betsy is not his child; the DNA does not match at all. So we have no idea who the father is. Anyway, my father's attorney is handling submitting all the papers for adoption."

"Can I hold her?" Carole asked, obviously very excited by Betsy's presence.

"Sure." said Cindy. "Have a seat here." Carole got up onto the sofa with Cindy, and Cindy put Betsy in Carole's lap. Betsy seemed very happy to meet Carole; she laughed and felt Carole's face for a moment, then laughed happily again.

Then the true ultimate test occurred: the redoubtable Bowser jumped onto the sofa between Carole and Cindy. He sniffed her, then decided that she was okay with him by pressing his nose into her chest. Betsy petted him, fascinated by the softness of his fur. She had passed the 'sniff' test... literally.

Tasha and Marie got their turns to hold little Betsy. Betsy was fascinated by Tasha's darker skin color and hair. She got along with Marie, too.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Several hours later, as the sun was setting, people began leaving. Phyllis was holding Betsy, and Carole and Marie were also on the sofa. Cindy asked if Phyllis would watch Betsy a moment, then went to the restroom.

"She's such a sweet, lovely baby." said Phyllis. "She even looks a little bit like Cindy, in the nose and mouth, anyway."

"She looks like me!" declared Carole.

"Yes, she does." said Selena Steele. "Betsy looks a lot like you, Carole."

"Yezzz." said my mother. "Very much." She was looking over at me.

"Since Betty is a-dopt-ed," said Carole, "what is she to me? My sister?"

"She's your cousin." Phyllis said. "Like Cindy and Todd are your cousins, since she's Cindy's daughter now."

"I'm adopted, too." said Marie. "But Selena says she loves me like a sister."

"You are my sister!" said Selena. "And I love you very much!" She hugged Marie, who giggled and hugged her big sister back.

Meanwhile, Carole came over to me. "Daddy, should I should love Betsy like a cousin? Or a sister?" My mother's eyes were on both of us. I understood what Carole was asking.

"Carole, we'll talk about it in a few minutes, okay?" I said as Cindy returned to the room.

"But Daddy!" Carole protested.

"Carole!" I said authoritatively. "I said in a few minutes. Until then, keep your mouth shut and possess yourself in patience. Understood?"

"I guess so, Daddy," Carole said, "but..."

"No more talking." I said, keeping my voice low. "We'll talk in a minute."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some minutes later, I said "I think this is a good time to take the dogs out. Want to help, Carole?"

"Yes, Daddy!" said Carole. She went and got her coat as I said loudly "Do you guys want to go OUT?" Two outstanding dogs instantly appeared at the back door.

Carole and I went outside and sat on the metal mesh loveseat as the dogs went around the mountainside to do their business.

"Before you say anything, Carole," I said, "let me say something. You know how I told you that sometimes it's better not to say anything out loud?"

"Yes, Daddy." said Carole. "So this is one of those times?"

"Yes. Yes it is." I said. "Betsy is now Cindy's daughter, and that makes her your cousin. So you should always treat her like your cousin, like Cindy's daughter, okay?"

"So I should love her like she's my cousin," Carole said, "even though she really is my sister?"

To be continued.

What's this about, dear readers?