Home for the Holidays Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"If we have good news on that, I'll have an announcement to make later tonight." I said. "In the meantime, as Commander Ross said, we all made it here tonight. That didn't look too certain last Christmas Eve... and it didn't look too certain at MLK Park when a drug raid went bad... and when a very evil entity kidnapped several of our County's children... and when our own Officers were targeted for destruction by agents of Evil." That applied to Cindy as well as to Parker and Holloway. The room got quiet.

"But by the grace of God and the abilities of all of you in this Police Force... we're all here tonight. And I want to be able to say that next year, so you better kick butt out there!" I said. Everyone laughed and applauded mildly.

"So tonight, I'd like to propose a toast." I said, picking up my glass of wine. The entire assemblage stood up with their glasses. "To getting our jobs done right and getting home safely to our families. To your professionalism! To the TCPD!"

"To the TCPD!" everyone yelled out. Then we all sipped whatever liquid was in our glasses.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dessert was being served, and many Officers and their dates went to the open bar and the restrooms, not necessarily in that order. I saw Jerome Davis at one table. He had brought Corporal Inga Gunddottar as his date. Inga was of Icelandic ancestry, blonde and blue-eyed. Jerome was a fairly light-skinned black man. I fleetingly thought to myself that a half century ago, in some parts of the Nation they would not have been allowed to date. We have improved, race-relations-wise, no matter what the Press says, and no matter what politicians do to gin up hatreds.

"Hey Jerome." I said. "Did you see that Army-Navy game today?"

"Don't ruin my evening, sir." said Jerome. Army had beaten Navy earlier in the day. Chief Moynahan was very happy. Jerome and his dad... were not.

"Your evening is just fine, what with that lovely date you have." I said. "Out of curiosity, when did you start dating Inga?"

"When Parker was wounded, I interviewed her since she was at the scene." said Jerome. "We began talking more when the politicians put her through the ringer over the shooting. And then we had lunch together, and things went from there."

"Cool beans." I said. "By the way, has your dad mentioned any more strange things going on at Valley Villages?"

"No sir." said Jerome. "Not to me, anyway."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Our time zone is an hour behind New York, so at 8:30pm Myron came to me with some news. I went to the podium.

"If I may have your attention please..." I said. As the room got quiet, I said "I do have an announcement to make." There were rustlings and murmurs as I said: "Lieutenant Rudistan! What are my favorite four words, specifically for tonight?"

"Let's watch some TV!" shouted Rudistan jovially.

"Yes, let's watch some TV!" I replied. "Lieutenant Milton, if you will do the honors?"

Myron started up the projector and used a remote control he'd obtained from the Civic Center (no, I don't want to know how) to dim the lights. A television broadcast came on, showing the ceremony room in New York with the photos of past Heisman Trophy winners, and some of those recipients on the stage behind the announcer.

The announcer then made the announcement: "And this year's Heisman Trophy is awarded to... Jamaal Washington!"

I began applauding, as did many others. "Hey look!" shouted Joanne Warner. "There's Theo!" Sure enough, Jamaal had accepted congratulatory handshakes from the other finalists and had hugged his mother, and was now hugging Theo and Franklin. The applause in the room got considerably louder as that brought home that Jamaal, Wildcat notwithstanding, was the family of one of our Thin Blue Line.

We watched as Jamaal went to the podium to accept the award. He thanked his family and his coaches and his teammates, then at the end made an important announcement himself:

"People have been wondering if I will turn pro after this season." said Jamaal. "And I've already made my decision. My cousins Theo and Franklin, who are here with me tonight, showed me the importance of earning my college degree. One of them is a Police Detective, and the other is an Assistant District Attorney. I've always looked up to them for inspiration. And now, I'm inspired to finish my degree and get my graduate degree, and jump ahead of them..." People there and at our location laughed at that. "... and so I will be returning for my Senior season with the Wildcats."

"Yesss!" Melina Allgood all but shouted. There was applause among the Detectives that were Theo's friends.

But I heard Cindy mutter "Goddammit." under her breath, and the applause from most of the Police Force was a bit... muted, shall we say. The open bar became busier.

And then all that was put into its compartment of the mind as Teresa Croyle came up and took to the microphone.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please!" The room got quiet as Teresa said: "Speaking of trophies, a certain couple in this room earned a trophy in last month's Dance Competition, and we'd like to see Commander Troy and Dr. Fredricson demonstrate those moves for us here."

Yeah, NOW the applause breaks out strong, I noted to myself. Nevertheless, I went over to Laura and took her hand, and we went onto the open floor space in front of the projector screen, that had now been shut off. Myron started the music, and as the tempo of 'Moonlight Shadow' filled the room via the speakers, Laura and I began dancing our routine.

The entire Police Force was standing and watching, clapping to the rhythmic beat as we twirled and twisted our way about the floor in the Tango. They clapped when we executed the move where I was all but twirling Laura like an ice skater, as she was stretched out and sliding along the sides of her high heels. Then I pulled her back up to me, and we finished our routine.

The applause was very thunderous when we finished and took our bows. Sometimes as a leader, one has to get in front of the troops and possibly make a fool of oneself, and fortunately I had avoided making a fool of myself.

"Okayyyyy," I said as the applause died down. "Our next dancers will be... Teddy Parker and Janice Holloway!" Everyone clapped, Teddy's face got red, and Janice led him to the floor where Laura and I had been. A typical dance piece started up, and Teddy and Janice did not have to dance alone for long, as Laura and I and then others joined them on the floor to begin the Ball in earnest.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I'd texted Theo to tell Jamaal that the TCPD congratulated him on winning the Heisman. Theo texted back that the whole family was ecstatic.

"That was an excellent dance routine." said Chief Moynahan to Laura and myself. "If you'll promise not to bend me into a pretzel, Dr. Fredricson, may I have this dance?" I of course gave my blessing.

I went over to where Jack Muscone and Tanya were sitting. "Why aren't you guys dancing?" I asked. They looked at me funny, though Tanya had a slight sparkle in her eyes.

"Tanks and dance floors don't go together." said Tanya, who was in her regular powered wheelchair.

"And I've got three left feet." said Jack.

"Uh huh." I said. I called Lt. Rudistan and his girlfriend over. I asked his girlfriend "May I borrow your date for a moment, to dance with Captain Perlman?"

"Sure." she said, looking a bit surprised, also. After talking with Rudistan and Perlman, I went over to the deejay, and asked for a particular song. Then I took to the front of the room again.

"Ladies and gentlemen," I said, "I see many of you are not dancing, so I'm going to ask a couple of Officers to show you what dancing is all about." Everyone was stunned when Rudistan and Tanya came up front. I pointed at the deejay.

As the trombones of Glenn Miller's 'In The Mood' began playing, Rudistan and Tanya began their routine. It looked like Rudistan was twirling Tanya around, but it was really him going in circle around her. Then Tanya drove her wheelchair in circles and Rudistan twirled himself in similar circles. They timed throwing up their hands together in sync with the music. Then at one point, Rudistan picked Tanya up out of her chair, and, holding her back against his chest, whirled around with her, her legs going straight out. Then he slowed out of it, put Tanya back in her chair as everyone applauded, and they finished with a few more twirls.

Jack Muscone got the hint. He took Tanya out to the dance floor for the next slow dance. It was okay to have three left feet: they didn't move, just held hands and swayed their arms together as they looked into each other's eyes.

Next to them were Teddy Parker and Janice Holloway. They weren't moving much either, just holding each other...

Per custom of the last few years, I danced with Mrs. Griswold. "This is such a fun event." she said. "It was nice of them to invite us. I've never been to one of these before. Do you think we can come next year?"

"I sure hope so." was all I said.

Just before the Mayor and Sheriff were going to announce their departures so that we could begin leaving at our whims, Rudistan made one more appearance up front. He brought his girlfriend up, then got down on his knee and proposed, offering her a beautiful engagement ring. Of course she said "Yes!" and everyone cheered... especially Myron and Mary Milton, remembering how Myron had proposed to Mary at the Policeman's Ball just a few years before...

Part 20 - Cast In Bronze

Monday, December 10th. I got up at 4:30am for my usual workout on the Bowflex and cycle. I worked myself hard, and realized I was going to need to do more for the Police Boxing Matches.

I woke Laura up and got pulled into bed for a morning pickle-tickle, which I was happy to deliver to my wife. Afterwards, Laura surprised me by getting up and taking a shower with me. As I prepared to leave for the Station just before 6:00am, she was getting Carole and Jim up. "I'm going into the office early." she explained.

I kissed the kids and Laura goodbye, then left for work. I arrived at the Station to see that there was an abnormally large number of vehicles in the gated parking lot. Going in, I checked in with the Duty Desk, finding everything in order. "What's with all the cars in the parking lot?" I asked.

"People came in to work out, sir." said the Duty Desk Sergeant. "Now that the Police Boxing Matches Freestyle Division is back on, everyone thinks they can win."

"It's kind of like New Year's Day, sir." said the Duty Desk Patrolman. "Resolutions this week, that will fall off next week." I chuckled at that and agreed, then told them to carry on.

As I went down the hallway, there was no one in Vice nor MCD, though the lights were on. I went down to the gym. A large number of Officers in TCPD sweats were running around the edges of the gym, including Commander Cindy Ross and Lieutenant Micah Rudistan. They were being run through their paces, i.e. dogged out, by Captain Damien Thompson, who was also in TCPD sweats... normal gray sweatshirt and sweatpants, but with the TCPD shoulder patch emblem printed on them.

He blew his whistle and everyone stopped. "Do you people think you're going to beat any frickin' Wildcats in the Police Boxing Matches as out of shape as you are?!?!" he yelled. "You better pick up the pace, starting today!, or Commander Troy is going to run over you like a freight train! Especially you, Boss!" he shouted at his boss, Cindy Ross. "You're running like a girl over there! You better pick it up!"

And then everyone noticed the tall redhead just inside the door, tapping a red crowbar in his hand.

"I daresay you people better get in shape!" I yelled out, knowing this conditioning would help them with more than just the Boxing Matches. "You're moving like pond water in here! You might as well just hand Captain Croyle the trophy again, Commander Ross!"

"Care to join us in here, Commander Troy?" Cindy asked acerbically, her ice-blue eyes shooting cold fire in my general direction.

"I worked out today already." I said. "I'll see those of you that think you're ready on Wednesday morning." With that, I left the gym.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When I got back to my office, I was stunned to see my assistant Helena at her desk. "I just came in to get an early start on paperwork." she said. I could see by the gleam in her eye that that wasn't the case. Something was up. I turned to my office door, which was closed, opened the door, flicked on the light... and stopped short.

A Heisman Trophy was sitting on my desk.

As I gaped at the bronze statue, three people came up behind me: Wildcats Defensive Coordinator Erskine 'Iron Man' Marshall, Heisman Trophy winner Jamaal Washington, and Detective Theo Washington. Jamaal was in a well-fitting gray suit and Wildcat-red tie; he could compete with his cousin for 'GQ' sharpness any day.

"Congratulations, Jamaal!" I said, shaking his hand. Then I shook Coach Marshall's hand. "So this is it, huh?"

"This is the School's trophy." said Coach Marshall. When a Heisman Trophy is awarded, two trophies are given out: one goes to the player, the other to his School. This particular piece of bronze would grace Wildcat Heritage Hall for all time.

I picked up the trophy to inspect it. At a whopping 25 pounds, it was heavy. "Well," I said, "let's get some selfies." I set the trophy down on the desk and had Jamaal come behind my desk with me. We took a couple of pictures, then Coach Marshall came in for a pic with us. And then Jamaal put my 'I Beat Slender Man' trophy next to the Heisman Trophy and we took a picture of them while I explained what the Slender Man trophy was all about.

"Jamaal!" I heard a five-year-old voice shout out... my five year old's voice. Carole came rushing in, wearing her red No. 10 jersey, followed by Marie in her No. 10 Wildcat jersey, then their classmate Jameis. They were followed up by Jim, then Laura (wearing a black dress).

"Hey Carole!" Jamaal said, picking Carole up and giving her a hug.

"Congrat... congrat-yu-lations." Carole said.

"Thank you." said Jamaal. "Who are your friends, here?"

"This is Murreee!" said Carole as Marie beamed up at Jamaal. "She's my buddy. My dog Bowser saved her life."

"I heard about that." said Jamaal. "Hi, Marie." He picked her up and gave her a hug, too.

"And this is Jameis, he's in my class at school. He wants to be in the NFL like you do." said Carole. Jameis was staring up at Jamaal.

"Hi Jameis." said Jamaal, shaking the young boy's hand.

"Wowwwwww!" said Jameis.

"Jameis," I said, "here's Jamaal's Heisman Trophy. Are you going to earn one of these one day?"

"Yeahhh!" said Jameis. "Oh man!"

Jim was introduced, then I said "Y'all may remember my wife, Laura Fredricson."

"I sure do." said Coach Marshall. "I'm grateful as always to you as well as your husband, Doctor."

"I saw you last year when we visited Carole in the Hospital." said Jamaal. "Can't believe it's a year since all that happened."

"I can't believe it, either." said Laura. "Congratulations, that's a huge award."

"So, my dear," I said quietly to Laura as the kids took pictures with Jamaal and the Heisman Trophy, "how did you happen to know about this visit? And conveniently forget to mention it to your loving husband?"

Laura smiled. "I didn't say which office I was coming into early." Laura said, to me. "Coach Marshall called yesterday and said they were coming by to see Derrick Waters in the Hospital today, and they'd have the School's trophy with them. We wanted to surprise you."

"And you did." I said. "Coach, you should probably leave the trophy here while you visit Derrick. I don't know of a safer place for it."

"If you don't mind, we will." said Coach Marshall. "Or we'll leave it with Franklin at City Hall."

We took more pictures, with Carole and Marie sitting on the desk, flanking the Heisman Trophy, and me and Jamaal standing behind them, then adding Jim and Jameis to the mix.

"Jim is not a Wildcat." Carole explained to Jamaal. "He's going to Arrrmy School."

"I do too root for the Wildcats!" Jim exclaimed in a huff.

"Carole keeps saying Jim's going to West Point." I said. "And it won't hurt my feelings at all if he does."

"I'd never bet against Detective Carole Troy." said Jamaal with a grin. He'd been at Apple Grove when Carole was awarded her Certificate of Appreciation by the AGPD.

By this time Cindy had come in, and was taking photos with her iPhone. She congratulated Jamaal, then said "For the sake of my Bulldogs, please go pro!"

Jamaal laughed. "I'm looking forward to finishing my degree."

"What are you majoring in?" asked Cindy.

"Criminal Justice." said Jamaal. "Just like my cousin Theo, here. You know, Herschel Walker once said he'd wanted to be an FBI Agent, but he left school early and went to the pros. Can't blame him for that, but maybe I really will be an FBI Agent after my pro career is over."

"Our Captain of Detectives in engaged to an FBI Agent." I said, hearing the unmistakeable *whirrrrrr* coming down the hallway.

"That's right, I am!" said Tanya happily as she drove into the now-crowded office. "Congratulations, Jamaal. Why don't you bring that hunk of metal into the MCD room."

Laura took the kids on to school, where they had a massive story to tell to their classmates to go along with their photos. As to MCD, it would be another hour before all the pictures were taken. Jamaal was very patient, taking photos with the Heisman Trophy with everyone who wanted one, which was just about everyone at Headquarters. A group photo of all the MCD and Vice Detectives with Jamaal and the trophy remains a permanent fixture in the anteroom to the Captain of Detectives's office.

Before they left, I had Coach Marshall come back to my office. I took one of the new red crowbars with me that Susie had given me at the Dog Kennels. "You can take this to Pasadena with you, instead of prying the first one of off the wall." I said as I handed it to him.

"Super!" said Coach Marshall. "Just what I need to keep some rowdy defensive players in line!" That crowbar would become the Wildcats's traveling crowbar in the future.

Coach Marshall, Jamaal, and Theo then went to City Hall to surprise Franklin and the D.A.'s Office...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome!" said Catrina Pierce at 8:00am. "This is Fox University Sunrise, and it's been an exciting weekend!"

"And that weekend is continuing into this week." said Meredith Peller. "We have just gotten word that Jamaal Washington, who won the Heisman Trophy on Saturday, dropped in on TCPD Headquarters, where his cousin Detective Theo Washington works. Wildcats Defensive Coordinator Erskine Marshall, a close friend of Commander Donald Troy, also was there."

The photo of Carole, Marie, me, Jamaal, and the Heisman Trophy were shown, with the words 'courtesy Cmdr. Cindy Ross, TCPD' in the upper left hand corner. Then a few photos from MCD were shown, including Jamaal and Theo posing with the trophy, and a nice one with Tanya and Jamaal with the trophy.

"And we have Detective Theo Washington of the TCPD with us." said Catrina. Theo was shown on a split-screen; he was in the Press Interview Room here at Police Headquarters. "Theo, you must be excited for your cousin!"

"Our whole family is very proud of Jamaal." said Theo with his 'movie-star-handsome' grin. "He's worked very hard, and that hard work has paid off for him."

"What do you think of his decision to stay in School, and not turn pro?" asked Catrina. "After Derrick Waters's injury, isn't that something in the back of his mind?"

"Sure, and that's in any player's mind." said Theo. "But he could get hurt in the pros, too. David Pollack, who is a standout sports analyst on ESPN on football Saturdays, injured his neck his first year as a pro, and his NFL career was over just like that. But I think Jamaal really wants to set the example for others and show that getting a college degree is very important. I know the family would've respected any decision Jamaal made, and we applaud him for his choice and his reasons."