Home for the Holidays Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Are you and Jamaal excited about the National Championship game?" asked Meredith.

"Jamaal is very excited to be playing in a game of that magnitude." said Theo. "We're all excited for him and his teammates to have gotten to that point and to be able to play the Florida Gators for the Crystal Trophy."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I got a text and showed it to Cindy. It was from Paulina Patterson, and showed Jamaal and the Heisman Trophy at City Hall, with Jamaal flanked by Paulina... and her brother T-Square. "Says here she got T-Square over there in time to get into a picture."

"Catrina and Meredith ran with the ball, pun intended, when I sent those pics to them." said Cindy. "I sent them to Bettina and KXTC, also. So why haven't we heard anything from them?"

"We missed their 7:00am broadcast." I said. "And Fox U is doing a morning-show style program that allows them to cut in with news, like they just did with Theo... and speaking of that, how'd that interview get set up?"

"They called Captain Thompson and asked if he'd come on, and Theo agreed to do it." said Cindy.

"Good enough." I said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 11:00am, Sheriff Daniel Allgood came to Police Headquarters. He went to the Chief's office, and I was called in moments later.

"It's a madhouse at City Hall." said Daniel. "Jamaal Washington came by, and Franklin is holding the Heisman Trophy while Jamaal and Coach Marshall go to the Hospital and visit Derrick Waters. There is a line around the hall to take selfies with the trophy."

"A once-in-a-lifetime event." I said.

"It is hard to surrrprizzze the Iron Crowbarrrr." said the Chief. "But I think they got him today."

"Yes. Yes they did." I said. "So what's new, Sheriff? Oh, your daughter's third birthday is today, and I have a present for her from my family in my office."

"I'll come in there and get it on my way out." said Daniel. "What I came by to say is that I'm going on vacation beginning next Monday and lasting through the end of the year. I have to burn it before I leave office. Chief of Staff Oswald is in charge of the Deputies, but as you know, the Chiefs are truly in charge of their Departments. I don't expect much to happen this week, either."

"Neither do I." said the Chief. "Mr. Crowbar?"

"I have one mission through Christmas." I said. "To keep my Captain of Operations out of trouble. Things should be fine, but I never let my guard down regarding her."

"She's come a long, long wayyyyy." drawled the Chief.

"No doubt about that." said Daniel. "I remember when I was in I.A., and we were about to fire her. That was a close call, maybe the closest."

"Noooo." I said, musing, "I think the Peter Dwayne Gordon trial was a much closer thing. And Selena Steele was even closer... an hour away from the death penalty." (Author's notes: 'Falsely Accused'; 'Case of the Black Widow', Ch. 04.)

"Okay, I'll be going, then." said Daniel. "I'll stop by your office in a minute, Don."

A few minutes later, Daniel came into my office... and closed the door. "If I may sit down, I wanted to ask you something."

"Sure." I said. I slid the gift-wrapped present for Patricia across the desk to him.

Daniel started: "I noticed that Laura and Melina did not speak to each other at the Policeman's Ball. And not just avoiding each other; they turned their noses up to each other a couple of times. What's happened between them?"

"Before I answer," I said, "let me ask you this: how much do you know about what's going on with your wife these days?"

"Melina told me that she was actually an FBI mole within the CIA." Daniel said. "She said that when that news came to Laura's attention, Laura reacted very badly to it. Was it really that bad?"

"Well," I said, "first of all, as you probably know, Laura doesn't tell me everything that goes on with her 'Company' business. Second, what little I do know about it, I'm not really at liberty to say anything about it. And third, another question: what do you know about Melina's current situation with the FBI?"

"She said she's working here in Town, that the FBI has designated here as a 'Resident Agency', and that she's ultimately under Jack Muscone in the City." said Daniel. "But that's the extent of it."

"And that's the extent of what I know, also." I said. "The only thing I can add is that she's recruiting Joanne Warner as an FBI Consultant to work with her from time to time. They're hunting buddies, and were CIA buddies, so that's not a big surprise."

"So you don't know what the rift is between Melina and Laura?" Daniel said.

"Not the details." I said. "I know Laura's pissed about something; hence, me giving you a present for your daughter instead of Laura giving it to Melina, and of course having to work around both of them so that Carole can see Patricia. But I don't think Laura has told me everything... and I'm not going to ask."

"Fair enough." said Daniel. "Well, I'm sure I'll be seeing you plenty often in the next few years, so it's not goodbye. But it's worked out, and you've got Griswold back, protecting your back. And to that end... how bad is this political bullshit about me being an 'illegitimate' Mayor going to get?"

"I didn't anticipate it getting that dirty," I said, "but I'm afraid that the Left is going to dog you with this for all of your days as Mayor. At least four thrill-filled years..."

"How do you recommend we fight it? 'We' being me and my campaign people..." Daniel said.

"Well, you know me." I said. "I fight it head-on, and throw it back in their faces. You can choose how hard you want to get into it with Carnes and Lewis. But just remember that you'll never find middle ground with the Left, that they consider their actions to cheat legitimate and our actions to stop their cheating to be dishonest and even racist. So don't ever for one minute think you can find middle ground with them nor appease them in any way. They are totally hell-bent on destroying you, me, and anyone that values integrity and Justice, and there is nothing that will ever change their hatred-addled minds..."

Part 21 - A Plan Comes Together

Monday, December 17th. As the TCPD Leadership gathered in the Chief's Conference Room to watch the news, we noticed someone was not there.

"Where's Captain Croyle?" I asked.

"She's going to be late getting in this morning." said Cindy.

"It'd be nice if she told her boss that, too." I said sourly. It was probably the tone of my voice that got all the eyeballs locked onto me. "What?" I asked.

"You okay?" Cindy asked, peering at me.

I realized what they meant, and that they'd missed what I meant, so I said "It's Christmas season. Any other time of year, and I don't worry about it. But right now..." I did not finish the sentence as I began texting Teresa.

"I was asked to stop by KXFU." texted Teresa. I read that out loud, then asked what that was about.

"You'll see in a minute." Cindy said. "Let's watch some TV, shall we?" The television was turned on.

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the redheaded reporterette at 7:00am sharp from in front of the State Office Building. "Channel Two News has learned that State DOJ Regional Manager Harold Bennett has resigned from that post!"

Bettina: "Mr. Bennett was Police Chief of the Town & County Police Force before taking the Regional SDOJ Director position, and Channel Two News has learned that he is taking a Police Chief position in a town out of our State. Mr. Bennett said in his statement of resignation that he appreciates the support given him by the TCPD and also the support of Governor Val Jared."

More Bettina: "That was regarded as a thinly veiled shot at State Attorney General Karl Handel, who is rumored to have plans to make changes in the SDOJ leadership as well as the various regions. And sources tell Channel Two News that Mr. Bennett was being considered to head the SBI's Narcotics Task Force, a unit of the SBI that has come under considerable criticism from Governor Jared and his Grassroots/TEA Party allies."

Bettina finished up: "And T-Square's new Christmas album is the number one seller of the season! The album of Gospel and Christmas songs, which was dedicated to Charlie Griswold, son of Sheriff-elect Antonio Griswold, is setting new records for sales and downloads..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Let's turn to SNN, and see what they have." said Chief Moynahan. Cindy used the remote. Cynthia Freeman was at the SNN desk in the City.

"Regional SDOJ Director Harold Bennett has resigned from that post. The former Police Chief of the Town & County Police Department has accepted another Police Chief post..." She went on to name the town... and astute Detectives have figured out that it was Teresa's hometown.

"Awesome." I said quietly.

"Did you have anything to do with that?" asked Cindy.

"I might've suggested to Teresa to pass on a name or two to their retiring Police Chief out there." I said. I was about to say more, but Cynthia said something that got my full attention:

"And in a related story," said Cynthia, "Edward Blassingame, CEO of the package delivery company SPS, has announced that SPS will be expanding. They will build a distribution center not far from the town where Mr. Bennett is becoming Police Chief. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Mr. Blassingame, who I remembered from the 'Delivery In The Rear' case, speaking to reporters: "We've been looking to expand, and this area is ideal for what we're hoping to accomplish. The Chamber of Commerce and local town officials here have been very helpful, and we look forward to creating new jobs here..."

"Now that, I did not know about." I said. "Commander Ross, any vibes on how that area of the country came to the attention of one of the Big Boy Establishment Elites, that being Blassingame?"

"I don't... oh my God." said Cindy, catching on. "Was he the one keeping Todd under surveillance out there?"

"So I read the riddle." I said. "Him, or fellow Elitists. Funny how that worked out..."

"Good grief." whispered the Chief.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome!" said Catrina Pierce as the 8:00am hour of the KFXU morning show began. "We have big news today! Harold Bennett, former TCPD Police Chief, resigned as the Regional SDOJ Director to take another Police Chief job." After naming the town, Catrina went on to say "In a related story, SPS, the delivery service, announced a new distribution hub there, which will bring many new jobs to the area. That town is also the childhood hometown of Captain Teresa Croyle of the TCPD, who has joined us today."

The camera panned out to show Teresa in her Duty Dress jacket and a skirt. Per usual on Fox shows, her shapely legs were being shown off, as were those of the hostesses. "Captain Croyle," asked Meredith, "your hometown is much smaller than our Town & County. What about it do you think appealed to Chief Bennett?"

"It's small, but the town will be growing some with the new distribution center out there, and possibly other new services or industries looking for new opportunities. It's a good place for someone to eventually close their law enforcement career. And Chief Bennett likes hunting, and there are mule deer and elk hunting opportunities in that general area."

"Was Chief Bennett concerned that he would be replaced as SDOJ Director?" asked Meredith.

"I really don't know about stuff like that." Teresa said. "But the job came open, and Chief Bennett was a really good fit for it, and it for him. So it all worked out."

"As a Police Officer, you have to be aware of what's going on with the SBI's Narcotics Task Force and drug-related crimes in the County and the State." tried Meredith. "There was a lot of talk that Mr. Bennett would be taking over the NTF Director role. Was that true, or just a lot of hype by our Fake News competitors?"

Teresa gave a pursed smile at that shot at the competitors, then said "I'll just come out and say it: the Narcotics Task Force has had a lot of problems, and I definitely trust the TCPD's Vice Squad to interdict drugs coming into this County a whole lot more than I would trust the NTF. There was a lot of corruption in the NTF when Jack Lewis was SBI Director. Chief Bennett is a good and decent man, and would have been a good choice to clean out that filthy swamp, but I guess it's a moot point now..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay." I said. "She's out of my doghouse. Great shots at the NTF and Jack Lewis."

Some moments later, Teresa came into Headquarters. The Duty Desk directed her to go straight to the Police Commander's office, Do Not Pass GO, Do Not Collect $200.

As she came in and sat down, I said "What have you done with my Police Captain? Consorting with the Press. I don't even know you, anymore." Teresa gave what for her was a grin at hearing me hit her with the same words she'd used on me in the recent past.

"Commander Ross asked me to give KFXU the interview." said Teresa. "If it had been KXTC or KSTD, I wouldn't have."

"That's fine." I said. "But more seriously: I texted you this morning because I did not know where you were. I'm not trying to be your babysitter or birddog you, but especially around this time of year, I get... worried... when you deviate from your usual rails. So do me a favor and let me know ahead of time."

"Commander Ross didn't tell you?" Teresa asked, shocked.

"Yes, she did, but only after I was asking about you." I said. "Teresa, you really have come a long, long way, and I'm probably being overabundant in my caution. But please do keep working with me on this."

Teresa nodded, then said "I'm never going to get past that, am I?"

I said "Don't look at it in a bad way. Like I said, you're not even the same person I originally met six years ago. My daughter is alive because of you, and I'll forever be grateful. But it's like... a recovering alcoholic. You may never take a drink of those bad times again... but I want to help make sure you don't, especially during this time of year. And I definitely don't want to give our political enemies a shred of anything to bitch about."

Teresa nodded. She was taking this better than I'd expected. "Yes sir." she said. "I incorrectly assumed Commander Ross would've told you I was going to KFXU. I'll be sure to let you know myself next time... well, if there is a next time."

"Don't be mad at her." I said. "So... Edward Blassingame of SPS. Creating a new distribution center in your old town. I wonderrrrrr... how that area of the country came to his attention."

Teresa nodded. "I called Todd while I was driving here from the KFXU studios. We agree that he might've been behind those jerks that bugged us and followed us. Or he got some knowledge because Todd went there in the first place."

"Iron Crowbar thinking, there." I said. I picked up a red crowbar that was on my desk. "This is the last of the red crowbar batch Susie's first nail drive created for me. I'm loaning it to you for the Police Boxing Matches." I handed her the crowbar. "Don't think you're going to beat the original with it, though. I'll be seeing you... in the Finals."

Teresa made the two finger gesture at her eyes then at me. "Thank you, sir. It'll almost be a shame having to whip your ass with one of your own crowbars... but I'll be up to the task."

I grinned. "See that you are, Iron Wolf. See that you are..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The group assembled for a sumptuous five-course lunch in a private meeting room at the Midtown Hilton Hotel, the best hotel in Midtown. Present were powerful members of the State Legislature: Senate Minority Whip (to be) Katherine Woodburn (D), State Senator Corey Coons (D) from the City, State House Ways and Means Committee Chairman (to be) Elijah McKinney (D) of Southport's grimiest areas, State Senator Richard Langdon (D) of Madison County east of Midtown, State House Minority Leader Wilson Hammonds (R) of Pottsville, and State Senator Cain Mitchell (R) of the rural southeast areas of the State, who was likely going to be Senate Majority Whip behind Senate Majority Leader Moe Molinari (R) of the Twin Cities of Westphalia and Eastphalia.

The room had been swept for bugs multiple times, but the Legislators still spoke in quiet, hushed tones. Katherine Woodburn was the de facto hostess.

"Crying shame that Jeff Canton lost his race." said Wilson Hammonds as they ate. "He was a good friend to our causes."

"I'm hoping we can recruit many Legislators to this one cause." Katherine replied.

As they began eating dessert, Katherine began the substance of the meeting. "I asked you all here today," she said, "to discuss the situation with the SBI-NTF. Governor Jared is feeling his oats from the Independent State Counsel's report not finding anything on him, though we in the Legislature will continue to push the investigations and find a reason to impeach and convict him. Jared is doubling down on persecuting undocumented workers, and he is hell bent on destroying the SBI-NTF."

"As you know, a strong NTF with power and authority over all of the local jurisdictions is essential to fighting the War on Drugs." Katherine continued, reciting the well-worn platitudes that everyone at the table knew was a hollow lie. "We had put together a plan to save and strengthen the NTF. We were going to have Harold Bennett, who was going to be fired by State AG Karl Handel, come in as the Director of the NTF. Bennett would've been an honest, stable front-man that the People of the State would trust to lead the NTF out of its bad reputation of the past."

"We were hoping that Jared would see the light, and accept an NTF with Harold Bennett leading it." Katherine said. "Unfortunately, Mr. Bennett took the job of Police Chief in some small, worthless town that never produced a single good thing. So our marked card is gone, and we may be back to Square One again regarding the NTF."

"What do you propose to do about it, Senator?" asked Elijah McKinney.

"Hell, the answer is easy." said Richard Langdon, his shrill voice not matching his body and therefore being a bit disquieting to the others. "Just have the Governor appoint the Iron Crowbar as the Director of the NTF." When an icy silence greeted him, he said "I'm just kidding, folks."

"Seriously, Senator," Katherine said, "that idea was discussed. But like putting the bell on the cat, the biggest problem was how to get Troy to accept that job. He wants to destroy the NTF as much or more than Jared does... and one reason we need a strong NTF is to be a counterweight to Troy in the first place."

"I have to ask the same question as my friend Mr. McKinney." said Corey Coons, who like McKinney was black and very responsive to the issues of minorities. Coons was a relatively young man, handsome with a deliberately shaved bald head, and sharp, penetrating eyes. "What is the plan to do something about this?"

"That's why I asked you to come here today, to hash out some ideas." said Katherine. "One proposal, that my 'Wall of Granite' caucus doesn't like but is willing to do, is to cut a deal with the Governor. Not that he'll have a lot of choice, as he has little support in the Legislature, but we can offer him some empty promises on undocumented workers, such as strengthening the StateVerify employment program and stronger requirements to use it, in exchange for him giving us the strong SBI, and especially the strong SBI-NTF that we want."

"No." said Wilson Hammonds. "That will never be acceptable. And I'll tell you why: the main reason we Republicans hate that son of a bitch Grassroots bastard Jared is because of his racist attacks on undocumented workers. Supporting immigrant workers is an Act of Love."

"C'mon, Wilson..." chided McKinney.