Home for the Holidays Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay, then here's the real reason." said Hammonds. "If we Republicans were to show even the slightest weakness on that point, the optics alone would destroy us and embolden the bastards that want to crack down on Illegal Immigration. It would be a disaster... people would start demanding the Federal Government actually build a wall on the Mexican border, rather than pay lip service to it but not do anything, as we've been doing for years. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the big businesses that give us millions in donations would stop. That might be good for you Democrats, but I'm not going to commit political suicide on the alter of Val Jared just for a stronger NTF."

"Well, I'm open to other ideas." said Katherine Woodburn. "I would like to find something that both Parties can agree on, and demand from Jared, if a strong SBI-NTF is part of it."

"Senator Woodburn," said Corey Coons, "I don't know the Governor very well at all. How far will he go to oppose a strong SBI-NTF, especially if we run a ton of ads blaming him for drugs getting into the hands of our children?"

"So far," said Katherine, "he's been very resistant. We could not get a Budget passed last year because of his recalcitrant attitude. Unless we find a way to get him by the short hairs, or find a compromise that we and he can agree on, I don't think he'll budge."

"He might, this year." said Coons. "We can talk about it later."

"What." said Hammonds. "You can't talk about it in front of all of us here?"

"No, Hammonds." Coons said derisively, showing Hammonds no respect. "I'm not going to say anything in front of you Republicans."

That pretty much ended the meeting, as tension built in the room. As everyone got up to leave, except Katherine and Coons, Langdon muttered "What I'd like to know is how Bennett found that job and was steered into it."

"Blassingame is building a distribution outpost out there." said Hammonds. "Maybe he heard of it and had Bennett apply."

"Yeah, right." said Langdon. "And have you not considered that that worthless little town is where the Iron Crowbar's lapdog cunt Teresa Croyle grew up?"

Hammonds was stunned. "Oh, shit." he muttered. "God damn, can we not get one step ahead of that bastard redhead Troy just one time?"

As they left, Katherine poured some coffee for herself and Coons. "So, Corey," she said, "what is your secret?"

"My people think we've found a sledgehammer we can use on Jared." said Coons. Katherine's eyes lit up as he explained...

Part 22 - In Concert

Sunday, December 23d. A huge tent was erected on the front lawn of University Hospital for the Christmas Charity Concert. The parking deck at the Hospital was not adequate, so shuttle buses brought people from the several churches whose choirs were participating, and from the parking lots around University Memorial Stadium. Police were situated at strategic locations to ensure ambulances could get through.

Laura and I had seats up front, on the second row on the left. The seat at the end, by the central aisle, was reserved for Teresa Croyle. Todd was sitting next to her. Then the Griswolds and then me and Laura, Cindy and Callie, and Molly Evans and Chief Moynahan at the end. Tanya and Jack Muscone were on the front row at the far end (easier parking and movement for her wheelchair).

We sat and listened as the church choirs sang. Town High and Booker T. Washington High had band and music club members augmenting the University's Department of Music orchestra, and they were playing very well for everyone.

As the concert neared its end, the M.C., the Reverend Calvin Derkins of First Baptist Church came to the microphone. "We have three special arrangements to conclude our service tonight. First, we have a special presentation by platinum-album recording artist T-Square, accompanied by his sister, Paulina Patterson."

There was strong applause as T-Square and Paulina came out to the 'side' stage, a smaller-circle stage to our front right. All of the drummers from the various music groups, including two boys in the white robes denoting them to be patients of the Cancer Center, came to the main stage.

"You have all been very generous in your gifts to the Hospital, the Cancer Center, and other charities tonight." said T-Square. "Not everyone can give money, but they have many gifts they can bring... their voices, their musical instruments, their hearts. Charlie Griswold had a very special gift, which he used for good. This song is dedicated to Charlie."

With that, the drummers began drumming, and riffs from Mannheim Steamroller's instrumental of 'Little Drummer Boy' began playing. And T-Square, with Paulina doing the backup vocals, began singing. It got really powerful in the second verse:

"Little baby

Pa-rum pum pum pum

I am a poor boy, too

Pa-rum pum pum pum

I have no gift to bring

Pa-rum pum pum pum

To set before the King

Pa-rum pum pum pum

Rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum

So, I'll play for him

Pa-rum pum pum pum

Me and my drum..."

There was loud applause at the end, then it became quiet as a girl with a flute came up. She began playing notes in a monotone, which I recognized as the dots and dashes of Morse Code.

"H-o-p-e... n-e-v-e-r... d-i-e-s." I said softly, where Chief Griswold could hear. "Hope never dies." I saw the tears running down his face.

As T-Square exited the stage, with Paulina remaining, a bunch of white-robed children began coming out on stage, obviously very excited about something. They brought a folding chair and set it down in the middle of the stage, near the front steps that led to the audience area.

As the violins began playing Pachelbel's Canon, two little white-robed girls, one of them being Joy, the girl that I'd helped to pet Bowser at the Hospital, came down the steps. They came to Teresa and took her arms and pulled on them. The Police Boxing Matches Champion was no match for the power of two very determined little girls, and so she relented and went with them. They led her on stage and to the chair, and had her sit down.

Seeing what was happening, the entire audience stood and began applauding. It is possible that Your Iron Crowbar was not beaten in getting to my feet to begin the ovation. The children of the Cancer Center surrounded Teresa, the ones next to her holding on to her as if she'd try to escape, very happy to have one of their own with them. Teresa had beaten cancer, which they aspired to do, and Teresa had defeated Evil on Christmas Eve a year before. And they had not forgotten...

And then, as their cue came, they made a joyful noise and began singing:

"This night, we pray

Our lives, will show

This dream, he had

Each child, still knows

This night, we pray

Our lives, will show

This dream, he had

Each child, still knows"

Then Paulina exhibited her powerful singing voice as she belted out:

"Weeeee arrrrrrre waaaait-innnnng,

weeeee havvvve not for-got-ten...

as the children sang:

"On this night, on this night,

on this very Christmas night,

on this night, on this night,

on this very Christmas night...

Little Joy put her head on Teresa shoulder as they sang their hearts out, and Teresa put her arm around Joy and the little boy on her other side and hugged them to her. I don't know how Teresa did it, but she did not shed any tears. That could not be said of other Clan Crowbar members in the audience.

As they finished, the audience rose again in a tremendous standing ovation. Pastor Derkins said into the microphone "Since you're all standing!..." then turned to the orchestra, who began playing "Hallelujah"... sometimes incorrectly called the Hallelujah Chorus.

It is alleged that King George II was so moved by this song that he stood up, and therefore all the audience attending did likewise, and the tradition for standing for this magnificent piece of music was begun.

All of the choirs began coming out on stage behind the kids and Teresa (who the kids refused to let go of), and began singing, and T-Square came out and rejoined Paulina. It was an appropriately huge finish to the concert as they sang a joyful noise to the Heavens.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After dinner at The Steakhouse with all the family and friends, we headed home to The Cabin. Laura and Molly got the kids into bed as I took the dogs out.

I sat on the deck, alone. Alone with memories, and thoughts. Who could believe that just one year ago this night we'd gone to the Christmas concert with no worries, then a DUI and a car crash almost bringing Teresa to her breaking point, and Carole unharmed and the Ward Harvester Warehouse still standing. Teresa had done very well this Christmas, working with Father Romano and the Catholic Charities to bring Christmas packages to the Orphanages and the Cancer Center kids.

But still, I thought as I looked over the colorful drops of light of the Town below me, I was on my guard. There were still Enemies out there, full of unappeasable hatred for me and my family, eager to destroy Teresa and all the good she'd done, and destroy the Town & County Police Force to achieve their totalitarian goals. Yes, I thought to myself, I would forever be on my guard.

The wind picked up, bringing the chimes of the University Clock Tower to my ears. It toned the twelve bells of the hour. It was midnight...

Christmas Eve...

To be continued.