Homeless

Story Info
Helping out someone in need leads to so much more.
12.1k words
4.67
18.4k
59
0
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Afterhours22
Afterhours22
1,131 Followers

*** This fictional story contains a character's description of a sexual assault perpetrated against her and why she became homeless. As the author, I do not condone or attempt to glamorize such horrible crimes on anyone. If this offends you, do not read this story.

I was born and raised in a small town in western Montana, population around 1500, and went to the state university. I graduated and now at 25 years old, I work as a sales and service rep for a large agricultural company, which has an office branch located here in the town that I have loved all my life.

One thing we don't see much of around these parts, are homeless people. It's not like we chase them off or anything, it's just that there is not a lot to draw anyone here to begin with. There is no drug trafficking here, at least nothing that I have heard of and since I know about everyone in this town, so I probably would know if there was.

There are very few jobs to be had, most of which are in the agricultural field, which is not a big draw for someone to come here thinking they could get rich, and the other jobs are just your usual small town, public service jobs, like waitressing, grocery store clerk, bank teller and so on. So, it was a bit of a shock when I saw a young girl standing along the street, looking at bit haggard and tired, holding a sign and begging for money.

There was a large backpack on the ground beside her that looked like a leftover from the Vietnam war. It was a particularly chilly Saturday morning in early May, and being the soft-hearted caring person that I am, I had to stop to ask if she needed help.

I pulled up, put my window down and asked, "Miss, do you need some help?"

She was short, about 5'2", had wiry looking red hair that stuck out just down past her ears from under an old dirty looking beanie, pale skin with a smattering of freckles and a small ring in the side of her nose. Her old worn baggy clothes looked like she had gotten them from a donation pile as they looked about three sizes too big.

"No, I just need a few bucks to get me on my way," she said quickly, not wanting to make any eye contact as she fearfully looked around.

"Okay, but I can tell that you are scared. If you are worried about the cops, it's not illegal to ask for help here and if you are hungry, there is a diner right there, I'd be happy to buy you something to eat."

She looked around, not saying anything and still very apprehensive, only looking at me a couple of times before averting her eyes.

"Listen, my name is Sebastian, and I'm not asking you to get in my truck with me or anything like that. I'll park it and meet you over there to get some food, okay? No tricks, no strings, just food and conversation if you are willing. Everyone in this town knows me, so believe me, I am not going to do anything to you."

She still looked around, fidgeting like a scared rabbit ready to run, but then she looked at me, nodded and said, "Okay."

I parked my car along the street, about twenty feet from where she was standing, and got out. I motioned for her to follow as I headed over to the diner and when I got to the door, she was right behind me. When I went in, Rose, one of the waitresses there, said, "Hi Sebastian, the usual?"

Rose owned the little restaurant, but was your typical diner waitress, that we have all seen on TV shows and in the movies. She was in her 50's, wore a little too much makeup and her uniform was a little too small, revealing curves that had once knocked all the guys for a loop, but now with some added rolls and looked like she had had a hard life, but always had a smile and lovely conversation for everyone that walked through her doors.

She was like a second mom to me in many ways, caring and looking out for me after my mother passed away when I was in my early teens, so to say that she was someone special to me, well that would be an understatement.

"Sure, Rose, but we also need to get this young lady something to eat, can you help me out here?"

Rose looked at the tattered looking girl behind me and her face sunk as she instantly felt pity for her.

"Aww you poor dear, come sit down, and we'll get you taken care of," said Rose, then quickly guided us to a booth.

I sat down across from her, while Rose got us both a cup of coffee. She soon returned with the coffee, set the cups down and asked the girl what she wanted to eat.

She hesitated for a moment, glancing back and forth from me to Rose, then looked down at the table and said, "Pancakes."

Rose smiled and said, "We'll have those up in a jiffy, and honey you are in for a treat, these are the best pancakes in all of Montana."

The girl just nodded, with a stoic expression, then looked out the window as if she were lost, then turned back, put a bunch of cream and sugar in and took a few sips of coffee. Rose made the best coffee in town, and it had its effect immediately as you could see the girl's facial color come back.

I said, "Yeah, that's good coffee, isn't it?"

She smiled a little bit and said, "Yeah."

"Can I ask you your name?"

She looked at me for a few moments with her piercing emerald green eyes, as if trying to read me before looking away and saying, "Maggie."

"Well, it's nice to officially meet you, Maggie."

"You too, Sebastian."

I could tell right away that she was not on drugs because she was alert, remembering my name right away, and her skittishness was more cautionary on her part, telling me that she has been on the road for some time now.

"How long have you been on the road, Maggie, if you don't mind me asking?"

She looked up from her coffee, read my face for a moment and said, "Six months or so."

"Can I ask how old you are and are you heading anywhere in particular?"

"I'm 19 and no, I'm just trying to find my way. Look, do I have to give you my life story," she said with a little irritation in her voice, looking at me dead in the face with those eyes of hers.

I put up my hands and said, "No, no, no, I was just trying to start up a conversation."

She looked back down at the table, and took another drink of coffee, before saying, "Sorry, but I have a hard time trusting people."

"That's understandable, I can only imagine what have you gone through, Maggie, and I won't ask you about it. I'm here to make sure you get some food in your belly and if you want to talk, I've been told that I have a good ear for listening."

She nodded and looked back out the window in silence.

A few minutes later, Rose came out of the kitchen, carrying a tray with a plate of pancakes for Maggie and a bowl of oatmeal and toast for me.

"Here you go dears, enjoy," Rose said with a smile as she sat the food on the table then headed back behind the lunch counter, near to where we were sitting.

Maggie poured a generous amount of syrup on her pancakes then dug in, taking a couple large bites before washing it down with a drink of coffee, while I started eating my oatmeal.

She looked up at me and with a mouthful of food, said, "Oatmeal is your usual?"

I nodded and chuckled, saying, "Yeah, just like the coffee and pancakes, it's the best in town."

She rolled her eyes but gave another half grin as she devoured that plate of pancakes in no time flat, scrapping the plate with her fork to get all the syrup and remaining crumbs.

Rose saw that Maggie had finished and came over to say, "Honey, do you want some more? My gosh, you must be starving you poor dear."

Maggie nodded and Rose took her plate away with a smile, saying, "I'll be right back."

I paused from my oatmeal and said, "Well, pretty good pancakes, huh?"

She nodded again and said, "Yeah, they are really good."

"Okay, not asking a life question here, but when was the last time you ate?"

Maggie looked at me a little hard, then softened her expression and said, "A couple of days. I had a couple of candy bars that someone gave me, but that's it."

"Good grief."

My heart hurt for this girl, and like I said, our town does not have homeless people so there is no shelter here for them, or any other resources available. I tried to think of a way that I could get her some type of help and considered calling one of the local church pastors, but even then, the churches were small and had no shelter of any type.

Not knowing if she would accept if not, I went out on a limb and made Maggie an offer, "Listen, I have a large house just a few blocks from here. It's an old Victorian place that has a bedroom on the main floor, off the kitchen with its own bathroom. I guess it was built as a butler or maid room back in the day. Anyway, you are welcome to stay in it for a few days, to get washed up and some bed rest if you like."

She looked up at me with a suspicious look and asked, "What's the catch? Do I have to perform favors for you? Take care of your needs?"

Again, I put my hands up and quickly said, "Gosh no, Maggie, there is no catch, I'm just trying to help another human being here. You look like you could use a break, and I am just offering a helping hand."

Rose heard part of the conversation as she brought out another plate of pancakes for Maggie, and said, "Oh honey, Sebastian is one of the most honest kindest men there is and if you like, I can check in on you after I get off my shift today, and I'll bring over some food, too, okay?"

Maggie softened again, looking up at Rose, then to me, back at Rose then out the window for a moment before saying with a slow nod, "Okay, I could really use a bath."

Rose and I both smiled at her then to each other, before Rose said, "I have some extra clothes, my granddaughter did not want anymore, that might fit you, too. You can have them so you can wash up what you've got."

Maggie smiled softly at Rose and said, "Thanks."

After Maggie had polished off her second plate of pancakes and drank her coffee, we headed over to my place. When she got out of my truck, she looked at my house full of awe and asked, "You live here by yourself?"

Like I said, the house was an old Victorian home. It was built in the late 1800's and had six bedrooms, including the one I described to Maggie. It had a large front porch with a few old rocking chairs to sit on and enjoy the neighborhood view.

"Yeah, I inherited it from my grandparents after they passed away. It had been built by my grandfather's family, which was big as you can imagine. I had it renovated, after I started my job here a couple of years ago, and wanted it kept as original as possible, only updating the kitchen, wiring, and plumbing. Oh, I do have a dog, too. Her name is Lucy and she's a chocolate lab."

Maggie lit up, smiled, and said, "Really? I love dogs."

We went into the house and was immediately greeted by a very excited Lucy as she came bounding down the steps to greet me, her whole-body wagging and her tail whipping around. After greeting me, she went right to Maggie and gave her the typical lab love, licking and pawing at her, as she stooped down for it.

When Lucy was done greeting, she headed to the kitchen and Maggie stood back up, still smiling and said, "Awww, she is so sweet."

"Yeah, she sure is and to think was left off beside the road as a puppy, by someone, is beyond me."

Maggie, looked at me with pity in her eyes and said, "Aww, really? So, I guess you are experienced in taking in strays then?"

I caught that analogy quick, and nodded back at her, saying, "I guess I am just a softy."

Maggie smiled again and I then showed her the way to the room she would use. As we passed through the kitchen, there was Lucy sitting by her bowl, wagging her tail.

"Lucy, I already fed you today," I said as she wagged harder. I sighed and said, "Well, how about a biscuit?"

Lucy jumped up, getting all excited as I went over to one of the cabinets and pulled a large biscuit out. I handed it to Maggie, and she bent down and gave it to Lucy, who happily accepted it from her. Lucy crunched away, looking at Maggie, and wagging her tail profusely.

Maggie giggled then stood back up as I went over and opened the door, to show her the room. She went in and looked around in awe, then said, "This was a maid's room?"

"I know right? Yeah, that's what I am told. I guess my great grandparents were pretty well off and with all the kids they had, I guess they needed hired help."

Maggie dropped her pack on the floor and said, "Thanks, Sebastian. I really appreciate this. I'm going to take a bath now, but do you have something I can put on after? Like Rose mentioned, I really need to wash my clothes."

I took that as my cue to leave and said, "I think I can muster up something for you, I'll leave them outside to door, so you make yourself at home, and Lucy and I will be out in the living room if you want to talk or just play with her when you are done."

She nodded with a smile, and I left the room, closing the door behind me. I went upstairs and rummaged through a couple of boxes from the closet, that my Ex-girlfriend left, found some sweatpants, socks, and t-shirt, folded them back up neatly, took them downstairs and set them on a chair by the door going into the room where Maggie was.

She came out about an hour later, and immediately got down on her knees on the floor and played with Lucy. Of course, Lucy loved any attention and happily romped around to entertain before getting her ball for Maggie to toss. After she was done, she stood up and I got a better look at her, now that was out of those old clothes of hers.

Maggie's hair was still wet, but it laid down straight and it was combed through. The clothes that I had were just slightly on the small side, not too much, but just enough to show that she had a very nicely shaped body. She was not wearing a bra and her hardened nipples poked out from her small breasts through the thick t-shirt. The sweats were a little snug on her, as the dipped down and hugged tightly to her nether region. I could not help but feel an instant physical attraction for her.

She looked at me and asked, "So, I know these clothes aren't yours, but I sure appreciate wearing something clean."

"Yeah, those belonged to my ex, my apologies that she didn't leave any underwear."

"Oh, it's fine. With what I have, I'm just thankful to put on something clean," she said softly, then asked, "Ex? Are you sure you're not some secret perv psycho that kidnaps women, kills them and then buries them in your basement?"

She grinned after saying that, and I smiled back, happy that she had a sense of humor, so I retorted with, "Well, not just women."

Maggie laughed out loud, then said, "Well hopefully Lucy protects me."

We both had a good laugh and then she said, "Do you care that I go lay down in that bed in there? It looked awfully comfortable, and I can't remember the last time I actually got any sleep."

"Maggie, that was the idea. Now please, like I said, make yourself at home, and go get some rest."

She smiled and said, "Thanks."

Maggie turned to go, and Lucy got up and followed her. Maggie reached down and scratched Lucy's ears then went on into the bedroom, with Lucy padding right behind her.

A few hours passed and I went in the kitchen to get some tea. The door to Maggie's room was opened slightly and so I peeked in to check on her. She was curled up in a fetal position, partially under a blanket and hugging a pillow. There was Lucy laying on the bed right beside her. Lucy loved Maggie from the get-go, that's for sure. They say dogs are a good judge of character and I am thinking Lucy got this right, as she looked up at me and wagged her tail.

Rose stopped by that afternoon, as promised, and brought a bag of clothes along with meatloaf and mashed potatoes. She looked in on Maggie for a few minutes and then came back out.

"That poor thing must have been through the wringer. I sat down on the bed, and she hardly moved. Sebastian, I am worried about her out there on the road by herself like that. She's just a young girl yet, you know? I wonder what happened to her?"

"I don't know. Maybe once she gets rested up, she'll open up about it."

Maggie slept the rest of that day, through the night and into the late morning. I was in the kitchen making some coffee when I heard her door open. I turned to look as she came slowly walking out and sat down at the table, looking very much like she enjoyed the rest, giving me a pleasant smile.

Lucy followed and sat down near the end of the table, near to her empty bowl, looked at me then down to her bowl and started wagging her tail.

"Okay, I'll feed you first, little miss spoiled pup even though I shouldn't since you abandoned me at the first sign of a woman in the house."

Maggie chuckled a little as I went over and got Lucy some food from the cabinet. When I finished feeding her, I went back over to the coffee pot, and got another cup off the cup rack.

I then turned to Maggie and said, "I trust that you slept good?"

She nodded looking down at the table, losing herself in thought.

"The coffee is just about done, and I'll make you something to eat, any special requests?"

Maggie looked back up, smiled, and said, "Pancakes."

I grinned and said, "Pancakes it is, then, but I won't guarantee that they will be anywhere near as good as Rose's, since mine just come from a bottle."

Maggie shrugged her shoulders and continued to smile. Her smile was heartwarming, so whatever she had been through did not take away the true kind heart that she had, at least from what I gathered. I guess living on the road, forced her to have to put on a tough guarded persona when we first met, but she was softening up a little and that made me happy for her.

"Okay, here is your coffee and I'll get to making pancakes."

She took the cup that I handed her, and said in a very soft voice, "Thank you, Sebastian."

"You are very welcome, Maggie," I said giving her the same warmth in return.

I quickly made up her pancakes, put them on a plate and sat the. down in front of her, then quickly grabbed some butter from the fridge, the syrup out of the pantry, and put them in front of her. Maggie's smile never left her as she powered through those pancakes.

When she finished, she took a few drinks of her coffee and said, "Those were really good, thank you."

"Well, I'm glad you liked them. I'd say that I'm a good cook, but I'd be lying. I am still learning and a lot of stuff I make is still prepared foods, but I'm working on it. Would you like to go sit on the porch with me? It's a nice morning out but still a little cool so if you do, you may want to put on a sweatshirt, there is one in the bag of clothes that Rose brought over yesterday."

The real reason I hoped that she would put it on, was to help hide her hard nipples poking out. I figured she did not have a problem with it, but it was more for my benefit as I did not want her to catch me looking her breasts, and that would surely break any trust that I had built, causing her want to leave.

Maggie grinned and nodded, saying, "Sure, that sounds good."

Lucy had just finished her food and followed Maggie and I out onto the porch, sitting down between our two old, spindled rocking chairs.

"Wow, this is such a nice view. I can see why you fell in love with this house, Sebastian, it's really amazing inside and out."

I nodded and said, "Thanks, Maggie, yeah I really like it. It gets lonely sometimes being such a big place, but you never know what the future holds. I may end up married with ten kids someday."

Maggie about spit out her coffee as she laughed out loud again. Once she wiped her face off, she said, "Ten kids? Are you serious?"

I shrugged and said, "Naw, just being funny. Who knows, I may end up being alone the rest of my life."

She shook her head and said, "I don't see that happening, I've only known you for a day and can tell that you are too nice of a guy to be alone, and speaking of that, can I ask why your girlfriend became your ex? I'd understand if you don't want to talk about it."

Afterhours22
Afterhours22
1,131 Followers