Hostage to Fortune

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DeYaKen
DeYaKen
1,625 Followers

I sat beside the bed and held his hand. I played his music and I read to him. From time to time, his fingers would twitch which caused me to stop and check him. Tom came in early at 10:00 PM and took over from me.

Tom Wainwright watched his son throughout the night. He noticed a few tremors of the hand but nothing to say he was waking up. From time to time, he would read aloud or play music that Will liked or would remember. The I Pod was playing 'The Last Time' by the Rolling Stones and Tom was singing along when it happened. He saw his son's hand move. It was not just a twitch, the hand lifted and fell down again onto Will's stomach. Tom fell silent and just watched his son sleeping. Will's hand was still. Once more Tom sang along to the chorus. The hand lifted and seemed to wave to the right and fall again. Tom reached out and pressed the alarm button. The thirty seconds it took for the nurse to arrive seemed like three hours. Tom explained about the hand movement. At first, he couldn't convince her that the movement was real. The nurse took Will's hand in hers and pricked the back of it with a pin. She saw it flinch then put it down and recorded the results.

Within five minutes, two doctors and a nurse were in the room and one of the doctors carefully removed the breathing tube from Will's mouth. Tom tried to ask the doctors some question but neither of them spoke any English. He wished Stephanie had been there but she wasn't due to arrive for another two hours. He sat back down to continue his vigil. He pulled out the book and began to read aloud.

'They fuck you up, your mum and dad,

They may not mean to but they do,

They fill you with the faults they had

And add some extra just for you.'

He continued to read the Larkin verse remembering how Will used to recite it at home. He got to the final line, 'and don't have any kids yourself.'

He stopped and looked at Will. 'You know, he knew a thing or two that Larkin bloke. That bit about being all lovey-dovey or tearing each other apart, that was your grandfather and grandma. I tried to make sure it wasn't like that for you and John. It wasn't hard, your mum was nothing like grandma. She used to wait until you were in bed before she tore strips off me. It was usually about you. She used to tell me I was spoiling John and not paying enough attention to you. I tried you know, to treat you both the same. John always pushed himself forward, and as we say in engineering, it's always the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.'

He continued talking to Will until I arrived. He told me about the activity and I went off to find a doctor. I returned with two cups of coffee. We sat down and I told him what the doctor had to say.

'It's all positive Tom. He's on the way back, it could be several hours or it could be almost immediate. We can only wait.'

'I've got to get some sleep lass. You will call me if anything happens won't you?'

'Of course, I will Tom. You go and get your head down.'

I started the day, as usual, by checking the business news. Andy Pemberley had resigned as finance director of McMahon Construction. He apparently needed to spend more time with his family. The share price had started to rise. I wondered what Will would have to say about that. There was still no news from Bee Jay II. She was still on course a few miles off the coast at Vigo.

I set about my normal work, checking out all the companies with a falling share price. I was looking for companies that were undervalued. I talked to Will as I worked telling him about my findings. The morning passed without incident and Tom returned early in the afternoon. He asked if there was any change.

'Not really Tom he's moved a bit as if he's been dreaming or something.'

'So we're still waiting then?'

I looked at him, and I could see there was something he wanted to ask. 'What is it you want to know?'

He grinned. 'Am I that transparent? Yes, there is something. Yesterday I told you that I hate what he does. It occurred to me last night that I don't really know what he does. I know they call him an asset stripper, but I don't know what that is. People tell me he destroys companies but I don't see how you make money doing that.'

'OK Tom, I'll try and explain. It's probably not as bad as you think. --Let's take Sir George McMahon as an example.'

'My God, you're not moving in on him are you?'

'Not now Tom no. it was Sir Georges boat that I used to save Will. --Sir George has been a silly boy, got caught with his trousers down and is now going through a messy divorce. He is frightened of losing his company to his wife so he has sold a lot of his shares to his friends, with the assurance that he will buy them back, at the price they paid, when the divorce is over. You see cash is easier to hide than shares.'

'McMahon's share price has been falling and Sir George's friends are getting cold feet. We were all set to step in and make them an offer, a little above the market price but below what Sir George had agreed to pay.'

'Ah.' Said Tom. 'I think I see it now, you will sell them back to Sir George, maybe twist his arm a bit and make a profit.'

'No, it's more complicated than that. Yes, we'd buy all the available shares and we'd borrow the money to do it. Sir George only has twenty per cent at the moment and if his wife only gets a quarter of that, it's enough for us to make her a good offer. Once we have 85% we can force Sir George to sell at the market price and transfer the loans to the company.'

Now Sir George, like a lot of older people believed in owning things. McMahon, like most construction companies, has bought a lot of land which they haven't developed, they call it land banking. Sir George has bought a lot more than he will need in many years. Often he buys it just to stop his competitors. When we buy the company, we would sell a lot of that land. The company owns its own offices and all the plant and machinery. We would sell all of that and lease it back. That releases a lot of cash making the company's bottom line very attractive. It also means they will declare a hell of a big dividend which is paid to us.'

'So you've got a big dividend and a company with large debts and few assets to speak of.'

'You've got it Tom, but don't forget the bottom line. Most punters on the stock market don't look beyond that. That bottom line pushes up demand for shares. We sell a few and the price shoots up. We sell off small parcels until the price stops rising, then we unload the lot. We've doubled or even trebled our money. Well, we would have if we'd spent any, remember all the cost of the buyout is transferred to the company.'

'So the new shareholders end up with a company that has large interest and rental payments to make but without any increased profit to cover it.'

'Yes, that's about it. The share price will drop rapidly. If the managers are good they'll keep their head above water, all the payments are tax deductible. The shareholders will lose out, but they should have done their homework before investing.'

'And if the management is not so good the company goes to the wall and everybody loses their jobs.'

'Nothing is guaranteed, Tom. I never said it was pleasant'

'And that is what you were going to do to Sir George?'

'Yes but not now, we owe him a favour. Come to think of it he might decide to come on board, he could end up buying his company back for less than he sold it for.'

Tom shook his head and looked me in the eye. 'You really are a surprise, outside sweet delicate Barbie doll, inside Rottweiler. Do you like doing all that?'

'Not particularly Tom, especially if the firm folds up afterwards, but it's what we do and we're good at it.' I nodded in the direction of Will. 'And he is very good at it. He's the best.'

'There is one thing that puzzles me. If you believe it's every man for himself and you exploit whatever you can to make money, why are you here? Why aren't you out there doing the deals without him?'

I looked down at the floor. 'I think you know the answer to that Tom.'

'Aye happen I do lass. No matter what they do, you still love them. Just like I was with John. Just like I am with him.'

Our little tête a tête was disturbed by a coughing sound we turned to see Will, eyes wide open and gasping to say something. We both went to his side. I pressed the alarm to call the nurse and tried to listen to him.

'Thirsty. Water please.'

I looked around on top of the cabinet by the bed was a jug of water and beside it a vessel that looked like a small teapot. I put the spout to his mouth and he started to drink. As the nurse came in, she stopped me immediately.

'Non non, non. Un petit peu, tres peu.'

'Just a little bit.' I translated for Will and Tom.

'Trop et il vomir' said the nurse taking the teapot from me.

'She says too much will make you sick.' I told him as the nurse poured water onto a cotton wool swab. She wiped the swab over his lips, then tapped on his chin 'ouvert' she said, and Will opened his mouth. She put the swab into his mouth and Will sucked on it. The nurse withdrew the swab and repeated the operation with another.

'C'est assez, je pense. Je vais le dire au médecin.

'That's enough for now.' I told them. 'The doctor will be here soon.'

'Do you know who I am?' I asked Will.

'Of course, I do Steph. Where am I and how did I get here?'

'You're in a hospital in St Nazaire. We brought you here when we pulled you out of the water. How do you feel?'

'Like I've been kicked by a mule and swallowed a sand pit. Apart from that, I don't know yet.'

'Well, that sounds promising.' Tom said from the other side of the bed.

Will turned his head to face his father.

'What are you doing here?'

There was no animosity in his voice, none of the aggression I expected. It was just a simple question.

'She called me and I came.'

'Just like that?'

'Just like that.' I said. 'I don't know how he got here so quickly but I'm glad he did.'

'Where is Sam?'

'Still on board Bee Jay as far as I know.' It suddenly dawned on me that I couldn't be sure of that. What if she went into the water at the same time? All Bee Jay's life jacket carried the trackers but if they weren't wearing them, it could be that Bee Jay's computer was sailing her and they'd all been washed overboard. I tried to think back. I definitely couldn't remember seeing Ryan without his Mae West, but Samantha was another matter. No sense in worrying him now I thought. If she went in with him she'll be gone by now. I found myself enjoying that thought, then felt ashamed that I had.

'Bee Jay, yes, I remember now. I was sailing Bee Jay to Gib. Sam wanted to come with me instead of flying.'

Dr Montand breezed into the room. He looked delighted.

'M'sieur Wainwrights it is good to see you awake. How are you feeling?'

'Like shit Doc how should I feel?'

'Good, good.' The doctor said before turning to Tom and I. 'Mamselle, M'sieur, I need to examine my patient in private, do you mind.'

Tom and I went to get a coffee while The doctor carried out his examination. I voiced my concerns about Samantha and he agreed that it was best to say nothing for the moment.

Dr Montand found us and announced with a beaming smile

'Good news my friends, good news. Mr Wainwright's cognitive abilities seem to be unimpaired. That does not mean everything is fine. We still have to check his motor control. We have a long way to go, but it looks promising.'

'Thank you, Doctor, you've done a wonderful job'

'It was not me mam'selle I am just a tool in his hands.' He looked up to the heavens. 'With his injuries and all that time in the water, it was a miracle that he was alive when he got here. I think that young man has friends in high places.'

'So what happens now then doc?' Tom Asked

'He is sleeping again now. He is going to do a lot of that. Tomorrow maybe we sit him up to see what he can do.'

We thanked the doctor, finished our coffee and went back to Will's room. Tom decided to sit with him while I got a chance to get out and see something of the town. Around four in the afternoon Will woke up to find his father reading poetry.

'What are you doing here?'

'Your lass, Stephanie, she said you needed me so I came.'

'Huh. What made you break the habits of a lifetime?'

'I suppose I asked for that. I haven't been there very often for you. Your mother said it was my stupid male ego that stopped me.'

'Was it the same stupid ego that made you send a drunk to pick her up?'

'You really think I knew he was drunk? There's not a day goes by that I don't wish I'd told the guys in Birmingham to stuff their contract. Your mother was the best thing that ever happened to me and you think I would willingly let her get into a car with a drunk. All he had to say was `Dad I've had too much to drink' I'd have told him to get in a bloody taxi. You know how nervous your mother was about getting into cars with people she didn't know. I don't see you beating yourself up because you weren't there for her.'

'What do you mean I wasn't there? Of course, I wasn't there, I didn't even live in Sheffield'

'No, you were down in the city making money, and woe betide anyone who got in your way. While I was trying to stop your brother from ruining the company and putting 200 men out of work.'

So what did you expect me to do? I wasn't the chosen son was I? I wasn't the golden boy you could parade in front of your mates at the golf club. I was just the one who worked his arse off, and you couldn't be bothered with.'

'Okay, I deserved that, but she didn't, your mum. Do you know how many nights she cried when you announced that you weren't coming home for the holidays? And after university, how many times did you come up to see her? I know it was to avoid seeing me, but it was hurting her, and she didn't deserve that.'

'Have you finished now then, or can you find somebody else to lay the blame on? You should have looked after her. She was your wife, it was your fucking job. So John turned out to be a drunken wastrel, well who made him that way? You don't like the way I've turned out. Well, you made me what I am, get used to it.'

Both men had tears running down their faces as the long overdue argument continued.

'What is it with you Dad? Why can't you leave it alone? Let's just go our separate ways and get on with life.'

'I can't leave it alone. I made a promise to her, your mother, my Emma. I promised I'd never stop trying to make it right between us. Now I may be a failed husband, and a failed father, but I've never broken a promise to her, and I'm not about to start now.

Chapter 5

I walked through the corridors of the hospital. As I approached, I could tell something was wrong. Nurse Marie came to meet me. She told me the other nurses had heard raised voices coming from Will's room. She insisted that it was important for Will to be calm but none of the nurses spoke enough English to intervene. I thanked them and continued to Will's Room.

'Well, have you boys been having a party while I've been gone?'

They both looked at me in surprise.

'Just clearing the air a bit,' said Tom. Will said nothing.

Tom got up to leave. He turned back to Will. 'You're wrong you know. --You think I'm ashamed of you, of what you do. I'm not. I'm proud, damned proud. I tell people that you did it all on your own, no help from anyone. I don't like what you do, but I'm right proud of who you are.'

He looked at me. 'I'll see you later lass.'

He left and I looked back at Will. 'What made you call him?' he asked.

'I needed a relative to give permission for any other procedures, and I couldn't call Sam so I called him. Is it a problem?'

'No I suppose not. It wears me out talking to him. I bet he's been telling you what a problem child I was.'

'No he hasn't, he's been telling me all about your achievements. I didn't know you were a chess champion.'

'Doesn't mean much to most people. Certainly didn't mean much to him.'

'Well, it seems to now. He also told me about your sailing exploits. Did you know he saw you win at Cowes.'

'He saw me racing Blow Job? Why didn't he say something?'

'He thought you might shun him in front of his friends. You won't want to hear it but you and he have a lot in common.'

'You're right, I don't want to hear it. Just talking about him wears me out'

'Well at least here you can go to sleep.'

'The way I feel I just might do that if you don't mind.'

'Feel free.' I said and settled down in the chair.

I sat and watched as his eyes closed. In minutes, his breathing changed and I could tell he was asleep. I sat and read from some of the books Tom had bought. By the time Tom came back, I was checking out the business news on my laptop.

'Any news on the boat?' he asked.

'She's off the coast of Portugal, sticking to the original course.'

'He hasn't asked about his wife yet then?'

'No, he's still a bit confused. Finding you here threw him a bit. --I'm going to have to tell him something tomorrow. I just wish I knew what to tell him.'

'Somehow lass, I get the feeling you'll think of something.'

I gave him a kiss on the cheek and left him to it.

Samantha had come to realise that she was effectively a prisoner on the boat. Sleeping with Ryan had been fun back in Brighton, but that was before she knew he was a murderer. Now he made her skin crawl. It was all she could do, not to flinch when he touched her. She'd tried her best to keep out of his way but the boat was only so big. She'd even found herself cleaning and polishing, something she hadn't done since she'd moved out of her parents' home. Whenever she was alone she'd think of Will. Had she loved him? She thought so, she certainly loved being with him. She found herself talking to him even though she knew he'd never hear her.

'Oh Will, why can't you just be alive and save me from this? I should have followed you into the water, then we'd both be dead. Even that would be better than sharing a bed with him. If only I could find the courage to throw myself overboard.'

Ryan had kept himself busy during the days. He'd struggled to keep to Will's schedule. The auto-helm kept them on course required, but it required constant sail adjustments to keep the speed up during the days. Of course, he didn't have to stick to Will's schedule but he felt it was important to make it look as if his employer was still on board. The time was approaching when he could report 'man overboard' Then he could relax a bit.

He was a bit worried about Samantha. He'd expected her to be pleased that they could now be together all the time, but she acted as if he'd done something wrong. She loved him she'd said as much. He made up his mind that it was actually seeing it happen that had upset her. If only she'd flown to Gibraltar, as planned, she would have run into his arms, seeking support and consolation. Once she'd got over the shock, she would see that he'd done what had to be done. She needed to be set free, so they could be together. She was a beautiful woman and she deserved more than he could give her. She was upset. He convinced himself it must be the shock. By the time they got to Gib she'd have got used to it then she'd appreciate what he'd done for her

Bee Jay had both surface and weather radar, and Ryan kept his eye on both. Surface radar showed no vessels within twenty miles, which made him smile. Weather radar showed an incoming squall, which made him even happier. This would be the night to report an accident. The power winches could raise and lower the sails, but to prevent damage they would need to be stowed. They were now carrying half sail. Bee Jay was a big boat and stow half her canvas took some time. Night was falling by the time he went below in search of Sam.

DeYaKen
DeYaKen
1,625 Followers