Housing A Dragon

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When it came time for her to return to Dayton, the parting was easier than before. Although still reluctant to go, Keri knew in her heart she had nothing to fear when his season ended. Her Zeke would back with her on September 1st and they would continue their lives together.

Zeke loved their weekend together and was very sad when she left. The family he lived with, the King's, were very nice to him and treated him as well as the Gilkey's had, but they weren't Keri. For the days following her departure, Zeke could think of nothing else but her. He pitched poorly in his next start and although he didn't want to admit it, her visit had a direct impact on it. He could only go forward, put it out of his mind, and learn from it. He wrote to her as much as possible and called her on rare occasions and that was their way of communicating. He had a few pictures of her that she had sent to him and they were a comfort to him. He looked at her face often and couldn't think of any other baseball season where he wanted it to end so quickly.

As the season moved into August, Zeke realized it was but a matter of weeks before he would move back to Dayton and he couldn't wait. As he had hoped, his next few starts went better, but they weren't up to his standards. He couldn't help it, but he was his own worst critic. Everyone in the Reds organization was happy with his progress and one would think he would be satisfied with that, but he almost expected to throw a no hitter every start and would get especially upset whenever he gave up a run. Zeke was just that type of competitor. He was able to keep his temper in check most of the time, but sometimes the manager could see it getting to him, so he would send out the pitching coach to settle him down.

He called Cathy first to tell her about his plans to move to Dayton before he told the rest of his family.

"Well, that's a real surprise," she said sarcastically, smiling on the other end of the line. "When are you going to tell mom and dad?"

"Pretty soon," he replied. "I don't want to wait too long."

"I could tell them," she suggested.

"No way," he said, shaking his head. "I'm doing it, not you. But, I'm going to come and visit before I move in completely."

"It'll be good to see you. It's been a long time."

"Too long, but you know I can't go very long without seeing my best sister."

They talked for a while longer, catching up on all the news and making plans for when he came home to Arkansas. They hung up a few minutes later and Zeke was glad he talked to her. It was always great to hear her voice. He could only hope his call to his parents would be just as smooth.

* * * * *

Keri was on pins and needles all day on Thursday, September 1st. She took a vacation day just so she would be at the apartment when he arrived. He called the night before and said he was going to leave around eight o'clock and would be there around two. His last pitching assignment went well for him, even by his own tough standards, and he was pleased with his statistics. His won-loss record was 5-3 and he had an earned run average of 3.87. He expected to be assigned to class-AAA Louisville the following season, but he wasn't getting his hopes up. Zeke felt he proved he pitched well in Chattanooga and deserved the promotion, but he knew that sometimes it didn't matter what you thought you deserved. It all depended upon where the Reds felt he would best fit their needs for the following season.

Fidgeting, fussing, and not able to sit still the entire morning while watching each tick of the clock, Keri waited. Zeke had his talk with his parents and it went better than he expected. Naturally, they were disappointed he wasn't going to be living at home, but they were happy for him. His father and brother liked Keri from their meeting and that was good enough for Zeke's mother. She pointedly asked Zeke to bring Keri along when he came to Arkansas for the rest of his belongings that he would be taking back to Dayton.

When it got to be past two o'clock, Keri jumped up and looked out her window whenever she thought she heard a car in the complex and was disappointed when it turned out to be nothing. At two-ten, Fran called to see if Zeke had arrived. After she hung up from her, her phone rang once more almost immediately. Thinking it was Fran once more, Keri was surprised to hear an unfamiliar male's voice on the other end.

* * * * *

Zeke's drive north was pleasant and easy. He had gotten off to a late start and didn't leave the King's house until after eight-thirty, but the traffic was light once he got out of the city limits. He stopped an hour from the Kentucky/Ohio border and had a quick lunch before beginning his journey once more. With thoughts of Keri swimming through his head, Zeke crossed the majestic Ohio River and saw Cincinnati's football and baseball stadiums to his right. Absently, he wondered if the Reds were in town that day, but shook the thought from his mind as he saw the cars ahead of him slowing down quickly. Zeke let up on his gas pedal and tapped on his brakes, but before he could see what was happening, he was hit from behind by a driver who was not paying enough attention to what Zeke was doing.

The last thing Zeke remembered was his car heading toward a semi-truck in front of him and diving to the opposite side of the front seat. The screaming of metal hitting metal was all the witnesses could hear as car after car slammed into each other. When it finally ended, an eerie silence followed as the shock of all of the impacts finally stood still.

* * * * *

"Is this Keri Scopes?" a male voice said on the other side.

"Yes," Keri answered.

"My name is Patrolman Fernando Perez of the Ohio State Highway Patrol. Ma'am, do you know an Ezekiel A. Monturo?"

"Yes, I do," she answered shakily, scared to know what was going on. "Why do you ask? Is something wrong with Zeke?"

"Ma'am, he was involved in an accident on I-75 just north of the Ohio River. You are the only person we have been able to get a hold of. We found your name and number in his wallet."

"Oh my God!" Keri's hand flew to her mouth. "Is he okay? Is he hurt?"

"He was alert and awake when he was extracted from his car, but I don't know the extent of his injuries. I've called to let you know he was taken to Christ Hospital. Would it be possible for you to contact his family for us? We have been unable to reach anyone so far."

"Yes, yes, of course I'll try to call them. Did you say he was at Christ Hospital?" Her heart was galloping as she tried to keep herself under control.

"Yes, ma'am, Christ Hospital." He gave her the address and phone number. "I'm really sorry to call you with this news, ma'am. I hope everything goes well for him."

"Thank you, officer," she said before she hung up.

Keri's mind was in a whirl and she was close to panicking. Her hand was still clenched tightly around the phone as she tried to steady her breathing. Keri's stomach churned at the thought of Zeke being hurt. Looking at the number the officer had given her, she decided to call the hospital first before trying to get a hold of his family. She dialed the number and waited for it to be answered. Someone picked up on the third ring.

"Christ Hospital, patient information, how may I help you?"

"My boyfriend was taken there from a car accident. I need to know how he is. His name is Zeke Monturo," Keri answered.

"Just a moment, please."

Keri's mind was totally on Zeke as she waited impatiently. She knew she had to go there and be with him. She had to see him. She had to see for herself if he was alright.

"Ma'am?" the receptionist said.

"Yes, I'm here."

"Mr. Monturo is still in the emergency room. I'm sorry, but I have no more information about him."

"There's nothing more you can tell me?" Keri asked disheartenly, her voice trembling.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. If you'd like to call back in an hour, we might be able to tell you more," she suggested.

"No, thank you," Keri replied. "I'll be there by then."

Keri hung up and went to her table by the door where she found her phone book and looked up Zeke's sister, Cathy. She figured the Highway Patrol had tried to call his parents' house, but Keri knew no one was home during the day. She found her cell number and dialed it quickly.

"Hello, Cathy Monturo."

"Cathy, this is Keri Scopes, Zeke's friend in Dayton."

"Hi Keri," she said pleasantly. "What can I do for you?"

"I just got a call from the state highway patrol in Cincinnati. Zeke's been in an accident."

"Is he okay?" Cathy asked.

"I don't know. He's in the emergency room at Christ Hospital, but I couldn't get any information from them. I"m going down there, but I wanted you to know."

Cathy thought things through for a few seconds, knowing she had to stay calm and take charge for the time being. Her biggest dilemma would be whether to come to Cincinnati or stay put until she heard his condition. But, what if it was really serious and they needed to be there? She made up her mind instantly. "Thanks for calling, Keri. I don't know when we'll be able to get there, but I'm going to try to get the first flight out. Call me when you get any news, okay? I'll have my cell phone with me until I have to board. If you can't get a hold of me, keep trying."

"Okay," Keri said softly. "Do you have my cell number?"

"No," Cathy replied. Keri gave it to her. "If I don't hear from you, I'll call as soon as I get off the plane."

"Okay," Keri said again. She was in a hurry to leave.

"I'll be there as soon as I can, Keri," Cathy continued. "Please be careful driving down there. It won't do him any good if you're in the hospital, too."

"I will," Keri assured her. "I'll tell him you're on your way."

"Thanks, Keri, I'll be there soon. Thanks again for calling." She hung up without waiting for a reply.

* * * * *

When he woke, Zeke could hear people talking excitedly and he could smell the pungent odor of raw gasoline around him. Sirens were wailing and his head was pounding. Every time he breathed, pain shot through his left side and he suspected broken ribs. How many? He didn't know. Zeke tried to move, but he was pinned down. He was covered by twisted metal and glass, but he could see daylight through some of the cracks. In addition to his side and head, Zeke felt pain almost everywhere, especially in his left arm. It was twisted and stuck behind him at an odd angle and he couldn't even move it an inch in order to relieve the pressure.

Presently, he heard the cutting of metal as the jaws of life were working their magic. Above him, a firefighter peered through what was left of his windshield and saw him.

"Hey, buddy," he called over the noise, "can you hear me?"

"Yeah," Zeke replied weakly. "I hear you."

"That's great, buddy. I'm Chris. What's your name?"

"Zeke."

"Okay Zeke. We're going to get you out of there real soon. Just hang with us. Are you in any pain?"

"All over....left side," he gasped.

"Can you move?"

"No."

"Okay. We'll get you out real soon. Hang with us, Zeke."

I'm not going anywhere, Zeke thought to himself.

* * * * *

Keri didn't bother to change clothes before she was out the door. She drove fast, as was her norm, but she was more careful than she usually was. She had been to this hospital before when one of her grandparents was ill, so she knew how to get there. Throughout the drive, her mind was focused on Zeke and his well-being. She couldn't imagine him being hurt and the thought of it sickened her once again. Try as she might, she couldn't push negative thoughts aside and almost started to cry. Keri knew she had to pull herself together and stay as calm as possible if she wanted to be any good for him when she saw him.

She arrived at the hospital within an hour and found a parking space in the emergency parking lot. Keri hurried through the doors and went to the admitting window.

A male nurse looked up from his paperwork and saw her as she approached. "May I help you?" he asked.

"I need information on Zeke Monturo," Keri replied.

"Are you his wife?"

Keri thought it made no difference who she was, but she said, "No, I'm his girlfriend. Can I see him?"

"Only family are allowed to see him, ma'am."

"Listen," Keri said impatiently, "his family lives in Arkansas and I have no idea if or when they'll be here. I'm the only "family" he has here, so could you please tell me how he is."

"I see." He thumbed through some of the paperwork in front of him and looked up information on his computer. He saw that Keri was telling the truth about Zeke's family and became less suspicious of her. "Mr. Monturo is in serious, but stable condition. He was awake and alert when he arrived."

"Can I see him?" Keri asked again. She was overwhelmed with relief that he was stable.

"I'll have to check on that. What's your name?"

"Keri Scopes."

"Give me a few minutes. Have a seat over there." He pointed to a row of chairs ten feet away.

Keri nodded and went in that direction. She pulled out her phone and called Cathy, who answered on the first ring.

"Hello, Keri, how is he?"

"They'll only tell he's in serious, but stable condition and that he was awake when he was brought in. That's all they'll tell me. They're seeing if I'm allowed to visit him."

"Thank God!" Cathy exclaimed. "That's good news. We should be there in a couple of hours. We've got a six o'clock flight. We're at the airport now getting checked in. I'll probably not be able to talk to you anymore until after we land."

Keri checked her watch and it was almost four-thirty, but knowing Arkansas was an hour behind Ohio, they should be boarding in a half-hour. "Give me a call when you can," she instructed, "or I'll keep calling you until I get an answer."

"Alright, Keri, keep in touch."

"I will."

Keri's attention was drawn back to the desk where the nurse was motioning for her to come back to him. Keri jumped up and approached the desk once more.

"Here's your pass," he said, giving her a yellow badge. "I'll need your driver's license." Keri went into her purse and retrieved it for him. "His bed is number seventeen and it's towards the end on the left. Try to make it as brief as possible."

Keri nodded and the nurse pushed a button that opened the doors to her left. She went through and saw curtained and partitioned beds along each side. She heard moans and groans coming from the beds as she passed by. Each cubicle was marked with a number and soon, she came to number seventeen.

Keri peeked around the corner of the curtain and gasped when she saw him. He appeared asleep, but she could see many cuts and bruises on his face. His left arm was in a cast and he had a tube down his throat. There was also an oxygen mask over his nose and mouth. He looked terrible and Keri could barely hold back her tears. She drew back quickly to catch her breath, wipe her eyes, and steel herself once more.

When she thought she was ready, she went around the curtain and walked quietly to his right side, away from his injured arm. When she got closer, she could see he was on a ventilator to ease his breathing. His right hand was outside the blanket and she touched it gingerly before taking it in both of her hands. With tears streaming down her face, she stared at him, wishing he would wake so she could tell him how much she loved him and that she would always be there for him.

A nurse came in a minute later to check on him. Keri wiped her eyes quickly and started to move out of the way.

"You're not in the way, honey. I won't be but a second." The nurse moved about, checking his vital statistics from the digital readouts of the machines nearby.

"How bad is he?" Keri asked.

"He's in pretty good shape considering what happened."

"What did happen? No one's told me anything."

"His car got pushed under a semi-trailer and the top of his roof was torn away. Luckily, he ducked."

Keri's hand flew to her mouth and she looked at the nurse in horror. She couldn't speak, but small gasping sounds escaped her as she was unable to calm herself for a second or two. "Oh my God!" she said softly when she was able to breathe normally again.

"Are you okay, honey?" the nurse asked in a concerned voice. She started to walk towards her.

Keri nodded her head. Zeke's eyes fluttered open unnoticed. "What's wrong with his arm?" she asked.

"It's broken in two places. One, near the shoulder, and the other near his wrist. He's also got a concussion, a broken collar bone, a fractured shoulder, and five or six broken ribs in his back."

"Oh my God," Keri said again.

"His lung is bruised, but it's not collapsed. That's a good thing. We'll be taking him up to intensive care in a little bit. We'll let you know when that happens." She glanced at Zeke. "Well, look who's awake."

Keri's eyes shot towards Zeke's and they met. He tried to smile, but the ventilator prevented it. He squeezed her hand lightly as it was all the strength he could muster at that point. He tried to speak, but was unable because of the tubing.

"Shh," Keri said. "Don't try. "I'll do the talking." She leaned forward and kissed his cheek. "I love you, Zeke." He blinked his eyes slowly in response. "Cathy's coming and I think your folks are, too. They should be here in a few hours." She glanced at her watch and it was a few minutes after four-thirty.

Zeke tried to nod and groaned from the pain. Tears appeared in the corners of his eyes. "No, Zeke," she admonished him. "Don't try to move. You're pretty busted up." Zeke raised an eyebrow and glanced at his left arm. "You'll be fine, baby," she said reassuringly. "They'll take real good care of you." And I'm here, too, she added in her thoughts.

The nurse left and they were alone again. Her hands continued to hold his as she gazed at him, their eyes locking onto each other. No words were needed to be spoken as their eyes did it for them. Within a few minutes, Zeke dropped off to sleep as his hand went limp in hers.

Hours later, Zeke woke to unfamiliar surroundings. He glanced from side to side, seeing a drawn curtain to his right and windows to his left. A small television was above his face and he could hear the soft whirring of the ventilator that was helping him breathe. Glancing to his right, he saw other medical machines gauging his heart rate, blood pressure, and respiration. An IV pole had two clear bags attached and was placed near the head of his bed. He watched for a few seconds as drip after drip went down the tubing and into his arm. He wasn't in too much pain, but he suspected he was being given pain killers.

His thoughts went to Keri and he wondered where she was. He vaguely remembered her being at his side not too long ago, but he wasn't sure if she was real or a dream. He wondered if his family knew about the accident. Time and events were sketchy in his mind, but he remembered the accident and being pulled from his destroyed car. His eyes searched for a clock, but he saw none. Through the window, he could see nurses bustling back and forth, going from room to room, helping their patients or merely checking up on them. Sleep overcame him once again as he drifted off.

When he woke, Keri was holding his hand as she sat next to his bed. His eyes opened wide when he saw her and she stood up when she saw him looking at her.

"Hey, Zeke," she said softly, brushing his brown hair out of his face. She leaned over the railing and kissed him. "The doctors say you'll be fine in a few weeks. You just have to take it easy and heal up." He nodded without too much difficulty. "Your folks and Cathy are here. They stopped by a little while ago, but you were sleeping. They're getting set up in a hotel right now, but they'll be back in a little bit." He nodded again and shook his hand free from hers. He then made a writing motion with it.

1...456789