How Did I Get So Lucky?

Story Info
Two recently single matures meet, discover many common interests.
15.9k words
4.68
19.1k
16
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Here's the normal disclaimer that all participants are over 18 and are a figment of my imagination. The story features the appreciation of an intact male, and a mature relationship that builds over time. This is not a: "I pounded her with my 10 inches and she loved it" story. If that's what you are looking for or if uncircumcised sex is not your thing, probably it's best to look elsewhere. Otherwise, enjoy!

***

My wife of 23 years had died on April 22, 2014 of a very aggressive form of cancer. I know, people usually use euphemisms to try to soften the reality of death. It didn't work for me. She died, and, while expected, it still was overwhelming, but final. Frankly, I spent most of the next several months in a deep funk. Eventually, I realized that I was still relatively young and in good health. As I came out of my funk I realized I needed to move on with my life. First, I wanted to move away from my Midwestern roots and all the little things that reminded me of Rebecca. Second, I truly liked being married and hoped to be in another relationship, however that may be defined, at some point in the future. But I did find that concept daunting. By the way, I am David Michael Browne, a 45 year old who has an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, with a Minor in Biology, and a Master's in Business Administration. I had spent the last couple of decades working for a small Bio-medical firm at the forefront of their field. I had connections to Northern New England from my youth and decided to look for opportunities there. After exploring possible opportunities in Vermont and New Hampshire, I was drawn to Maine.

I sold my house, kept the important things from my home, sold, gave away or donated the rest, and headed to Maine. I found a winterized camp on Lower Missaquantic Lake, midway up Maine and about an hour from the coast. The draw to me was three-fold: Clearwater, Maine was a small town of about 2,000, it had decent high-speed internet, and it was close to Worthington, a much larger city, with a well-known University, with all the educational, leisure and recreational activities that you would expect to be associated with a college town. My wife and I had lived modestly, had no children, and had accumulated a nice nest-egg. Between the gain in the sale of our house and our nest-egg, I was able to purchase the camp outright and moved in in late May 2015. My new home was relatively small but well-built and well insulated. It was all on a single level and consisted of a functional galley kitchen, adjoining nook for meals, living room with a stone fireplace, a relatively large bedroom with an adjacent full bath, and two smaller rooms which shared a smaller bath, which was also accessible from the living room. The front of the cabin had a full length porch that faced south towards the lake.

Before moving to Maine, I had explored employment opportunities in the area, but ultimately decided to start my own consulting business from home. Over the next year, I threw myself into my business and it grew slowly but steadily. While my work kept me quite busy, I still found some spare time to engage in all of the activities that I enjoyed in the past: gardening, woodworking, hiking, biking, kayaking, photography, reading and cooking. The last one I found was degenerating into simple, quick and frankly uninteresting meals. Who wants to cook for just one? During a lull in my consulting, I combined two of my interests and built a wooden kayak from a kit, finishing it in late June. Today I was taking it out for the first time. I believed that it was well designed when I was building it and was delighted to find it was well balanced on the water. I started south, down the east side of the lake. Lower Missaquantic Lake runs north and south, is about one and a half miles long and is about a half mile wide at its widest. I found that the locals referred to it as the Lower Lake. It is fed by the Missaquantic River which flows from Upper Missaquantic Lake and eventually flows out to the Atlantic. When kayaking, I tend to stay close to the shore as there are more interesting things to see. As I was paddling up the west side, about fifty yards from shore, I saw a very naked woman sunbathing and reading a book on a small protected beach. While she intrigued me, I continued paddling, as I didn't want to intrude on her privacy. My impressions were brief: a bit younger than me, attractive, but she did not try to cover up nor did she acknowledge my presence. I arrived home a few minutes later.

After dinner that evening, I thought of her again and speculated about who she might be, but our encounter was very brief and she receded from my mind. My business continued to build and I found myself quite busy. A couple of weeks later I took an afternoon off and rode my bike around the perimeter of the lake. On the west side I approached a woman riding in the opposite direction. As we passed, I thought I saw a smirk of recognition and I was pretty sure it was the same woman.

Because of my extensive experience in my field, I had accumulated a large number of contacts over the years. I was able to focus my efforts on the people I liked working with and cultivated them as clients. Although I had high speed internet, and conducted most of my business that way, I strongly believe there is still a need for face to face meetings. Thus I found myself driving to Portland International Jetport and flying on to Atlanta. Three days later and a large contract in my pocket, I was in the JetBlue departure lounge at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, a half hour before my flight to JFK and the second flight on to Portland. I was immersed in the latest Carl Hiaasen novel and didn't really pay attention to the person who sat down next to me. A couple of minutes passed and she said "I believe we may be neighbors in Clearwater." I enjoy Hiaasen, but I dropped my book into my lap as she had my immediate full attention. She definitely was the sunbather. I looked at her more closely. She was probably in her late thirties, tall at around 5' 10", and athletically built, but with enough curves to be very attractive. Remembering our first contact, I reddened slightly.

"Cat got your tongue? "

"I..."

"I'm Maggie Shepard. I'm pretty sure you bought the old Marshfield place at the north end of Lower Lake. Nice place, by the way."

"David Browne. And how did you..."

"Clearwater's a small, closely-knit town. As with any small town, people know each other, and their business. Sometimes too much. And, they are always aware of newcomers, especially quiet ones who don't give the gossips anything to spread. So, today seems to be a good time for us to meet officially. Welcome, David."

As Maggie spoke she had a twinkle in her eyes. Over the years I came to believe that a person's eyes speak more about a person than their words. If a person smiles with their eyes, they are likely to be genuine and trustworthy. Maggie's light gray eyes, with hints of green suggested a northern European heritage. It also foretold an intense passion and hinted at an adventurous and mysterious personality, if you believe everything you find on the internet. While I was lost in these thoughts, she said:

"We're going to have to chase that cat away if we are going to have a conversation."

"Sorry. Between noticing your beautiful eyes, remembering the circumstances of our first meeting and finding you a thousand miles from home, I'm a bit flustered. I'm down here trying to drum up some business. And you?"

"Eyes huh?"

"Yes. You smile with your eyes and it is very attractive."

"Were you successful?"

"Actually, things turned out better than I had any right to expect." Changing subjects, he said: "You seem to know a lot more about me than I do about you. Care to enlighten me?"

"I was born and raised in Clearwater. I went out of state for both my undergraduate degree and my Master's. Eventually the lure of Maine brought me home and I got a PhD locally. I divide my time between my family's cabin on Lower Lake and my organic farm a few miles west of town. I was married for several years, but divorced a couple of years ago. My Ex is now in Arizona. No kids."

"What do you raise on your farm?"

"All the regulars you would expect to be available during Maine's short growing season. However. I have also built three energy efficient greenhouses to extend our growing season and they look to have been a good investment." At that time JetBlue started boarding. Comparing Boarding Passes, David realized they were several rows apart. Approaching the gate representative, they found out the flight had several open seats and they were able to change both seat assignments and were able to sit together. After takeoff, Maggie continued: "My long term plans may include marijuana cultivation after that becomes legal in Maine."

"Really?"

On so many levels, David found Maggie an interesting and intriguing person. They continued their conversation throughout the flight to JFK, discovering many common interests. Their flight to Portland was fully booked, with no chance to sit together. Upon arrival, they each claimed their baggage. Since they each had driven to Portland, unfortunately, they had to drive to Clearwater separately. With an exchange of phone numbers, both expressed a desire to see one another after returning home.

Chapter 2.

Both Maggie and David were busy the next few days. Friday afternoon each left voicemails for the other. Eventually they connected and planned to meet for a bike ride Saturday afternoon. They both rode their bikes to meet at a picnic area halfway between their homes. It was a good 30 mile ride, with the normal hilly terrain so common to northern New England. They both had similar experience and skills, so the ride was highly satisfying for both. When they returned to their starting point, Maggie said: "If you don't have plans tonight, why don't you come over for dinner?" David was delighted at the prospect of spending more time with her, but suggested he go home and clean up first. "Don't worry about that. You can clean up at my place."

"Okay, but let me at least stop at McLaughlin's store and pick-up some wine." Maggie gave him directions and they separated. McLaughlin's catered to the affluent who lived in Clearwater but commuted to work, mostly at the university. Therefore they had a nice selection of wines available. David selected a nice bottle of Zinfandel, one of his favorites. Maggie's home was not visible from the road, so he had no idea what to expect. It turned out to be a similar cabin to his own: small but well kept. The door was open, so he walked in and called her name. She appeared from what he assumed was either the bedroom or bathroom with two large fluffy towels in hand. "Come on. Let's get cleaned up."

David followed her out the back door and down a path towards the lake. "I often get cooled down and refreshed in the lake after a ride." She put the towels down on a large boulder at the water's edge and started to get undressed. Shoes and socks off. Top and sports bra joined the pile. Lastly, biker's shorts and panties were added to the rest of her clothes. She turned towards him and said "Aren't you going to join me?" David had never experienced anything like this. First, she had just stripped everything off in front of him, and seemed comfortable doing so. Secondly, she was absolutely stunning. Although his first sight of her was as she had been sunbathing nude, that was from a distance. "David, haven't you ever seen a naked girl before?" 'Not under these circumstances' he thought. He started removing his clothes. "Don't worry. Besides you, no one has seen me sunbathing here. We shouldn't see anyone else." He became flustered as he realized he was becoming aroused. It was over two years since Rebecca had died, and, because of the ravages her body endured, it was a quite a while prior to her death since he had had sex with her. Conflicting thoughts and memories swirled through his brain. He decided to let things happen and see where they went.

Maggie ran into the water with David close behind. While it was now mid-July, it still was Maine and the most generous description was to say the water was "chilly". Maggie stopped waist deep and started to wash herself with a facecloth she had with her, but David hadn't noticed. He still couldn't believe what he was seeing. Tall, athletic but shapely, an attractive oval face, those eyes, shoulder length brunette hair, unshaved armpits, smallish breasts, but oh so firm looking, with very prominent nipples and what looked under water to be lots of dark brown pubic hair, the sight of Maggie absolutely overwhelmed him.

"Cat got your tongue again?" She threw the facecloth at him. "Clean up. I don't want a stinky dinner mate. I don't use soap in the lake. Don't want to pollute it. But I've found that just a facecloth, water and a bit of vigorous rubbing works just fine." David proceeded to wash his body. He noticed that his former arousal had shrunk to nothing in the cold water. 'Probably for the better', he thought. Maggie started towards shore and David followed. She grabbed a towel, threw the second one to him, dried herself and wrapped the towel, covering her breasts down to below her ass. He started to get aroused again and he quickly wrapped the towel around his waist. Maggie picked up David's clothes and headed for the cabin. There was nothing left for him but to pick up hers and follow her.

Maggie went into her bedroom, still carrying his clothes. Slightly lost as what to do, David waited in the living room. She returned shortly wearing shorts, a tee shirt advertising the Old Fashioned Harvest Market and sandals. It was obvious she wasn't wearing a bra. She tossed a pair of shorts and a tee shirt to David. "My brother's. He's about your size." David was looking for a place to change. "Too late to be modest. I've already seen everything." Surrendering to this new reality, he dropped his towel and pulled on the shorts as fast as he could. He was getting harder by the minute, but Maggie, while directly looking at him, seemed unfazed. "Nice body." she said as she turned towards the kitchen.

Maggie started some swordfish marinating. Then she started the grill preheating and together they made a quick salad. She made kabobs with the swordfish, onions and peppers from her greenhouse and baby bella mushrooms. "I usually buy enough fish so I have leftovers to make fish tacos with, but it will be more fun to share a meal with you." While connoisseurs always suggest white wine with fish, they both had a strong preference for reds. Thus the Zin was a hit with both of them. Dinner was enjoyed on the porch. The wine was finished with dinner. Since it was still pleasant out, Maggie suggested opening a second bottle to enjoy the summer evening. David declined, saying he didn't want to ride home after too many glasses of wine. "David, I would like you to stay here tonight." There it was, right out in the open. Again conflicted, he hesitated. Maggie, tuned into his body language, asked if he was okay.

"I have to tell you that I have not dated since my wife, Rebecca, died two years ago. This is something I wasn't expecting."

"David, I enjoy your company, but don't want to start us off on the wrong foot, in case this develops into something we both want. Stay tonight. If you are more comfortable sleeping on the couch, I am fine with that. Let's enjoy the evening. I'd like to wake up tomorrow and share breakfast with you. Frankly, I'd like to have sex with you. I haven't had any sex since my divorce. However, I can wait a bit more and we can see how things progress. And you do have one sexy body."

David nodded yes but he wasn't sure what he just agreed to. She went into the kitchen and returned with a nice Cab. She asked if he was comfortable to talk to her about his marriage. Surprising himself, he was able to talk about his life with Rebecca. It seemed to be a catharsis for David to express his feelings. While he knew that he wanted to be in a new relationship, the actual prospect of it happening was a bit daunting. Maggie talked about her marriage. They married young and just grew apart. Maggie was more of a free spirit and Evan, her ex, was more conservative. Maggie as a free spirit did not surprise David. They talked late into the night realizing they had a lot of common interests. Gardening and biking certainly. Both were readers and neither watched much television. Hiking and cooking also were favorites. Both enjoyed going to the movies and live theater, although each found it slightly uncomfortable attending as a single. Around midnight, Maggie got some sheets and a pillow for David and they said their goodnights.

Maggie was always an early riser. She got up and walked quietly towards the kitchen. As she passed the still sleeping David on the couch, she couldn't help but to notice his morning erection tenting the sheets. I hope he's dreaming of me, she thought. Followed by, I definitely would like to explore the possibilities of sex with him. She got the coffee started and was just sitting down to enjoy her first cup when she heard David stirring. He went to the bathroom and returned to find a cup waiting for him. No bulge she noticed. They greeted each other and fell into the slightly awkward silence of a couple who have spent their first night together. Perhaps because they didn't actually sleep together, they easily transitioned into a companionable conversation while prepping for breakfast. Maggie started grits, enhanced with smoked cheese, some of her veggies, quickly sautéed shrimp and topped with poached eggs. Toast made from bread available from the local bakery rounded out the meal. They talked a bit more and David changed back into his biking clothes, this time in the bathroom, and returned home.

Once home, David took a shower. His thoughts turned to the events of the preceding day and his erection returned to full mast. Ultimately, he felt he needed relief and masturbated to orgasm. Still, thoughts of Maggie stayed with him. He had never met anyone like her. However, that was not too surprising, since he had married at 22 and had been faithful to Rebecca their whole marriage. He couldn't define exactly what the attraction to Maggie was, but acknowledged it was very strong. She's sexy as hell, does outrageous things and is more comfortable in her body than anyone he had ever met. Plus, she clearly likes him and they have so many common interests.

Monday, David was talking with another potential client who wanted to meet with him on Wednesday. In Indianapolis. That night he called Maggie and explained he had to leave on Tuesday and didn't know how long the trip might be, but believed he would be back by Friday.

"I know it is short notice, but would you want to come to dinner tonight?"

"Sure. What time?"

"When do you normally eat dinner?'

"Sixish, if I have a choice. Sometimes much later if work demands it."

"Will six work tonight?"

"See you then."

"Since you knew it was the old Marshfield place, I assume you know how to get here."

"Debbie Marshfield was one of my best friends growing up. I spent many a night there."

"By the way, any requests or dietary restrictions?"

"I'm pretty easy to please."

After they said goodbye, he wondered if that was a double entendre. So, what to make? Since the first local corn was beginning to appear, he decided to make a summer favorite: Shrimp, Chorizo and Corn Salad. Besides those named ingredients, it had scallions, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon rind and Siracha. Just right for summer. That afternoon he biked over to McLaughlin's store to pick up what he needed as well as some wine and bread. Returning home, he did a quick cleaning of the house and changed the sheets on his bed and put fresh towels in the bathroom. Why did I do that he wondered. The rest of the afternoon he worked on his presentation for the Indianapolis client. Around five he was satisfied with his presentation, took a shower and prepped the meal. Maggie arrived right at six.