All Comments on 'How Much Do Manila Prostitutes Earn'

by JimGrinsted

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
An interesting analysis

I hope your wife understands how hard it was for you to conduct your research.

Where l believe your analysis falls down is that most of the girls will be advertising and promoting themselves in multiple channels. Not just via the website.

Additionally if the girls are making that sort of money, then there’d be a lot more girls working... On a trip to Manila and Cebu last month you could find an attractive girl under 25 for P1,000 all night. And there were lots of girls around in the malls, bars, clubs etc. The more desperate would even go as low as P500. (And these prices tallied with my visits to other regions of the Philippines last year).

Not that you had to pay, there were loads of girls interested for free.

That said I didn’t visit the karaoke bars targeting the Koreans and Japanese, nor did I cruise the lounges of the 5 star hotels where prices surely would have been higher. But the girls there tend to be all business and all about money - and I personally prefer a more laidback vibe.

Good research and an interesting read.

Oz_JohnOz_Johnalmost 5 years ago

A fascinating analysis, which I thoroughly enjoyed. One could say that you've wasted an awful lot of time as a diversion for your desires, but I could see myself doing the same thing!

JimGrinstedJimGrinstedalmost 5 years agoAuthor
Answer to Anonymous from 6/18

As long as the girl turns off her app when she has a customer, it doesn't matter where the customer came from. Unlike an agency, Smooci doesn't care if she gets business on the side. My problem comes from girls like Genevie who obviously don't turn off the app.

You're correct that my tally is off because I don't discount the asking price. The problem is I don't know how to do that in any way that isn't just guessing.

Smooci only works for high-end clients--tourists staying in 3-star hotels or higher, or balikbayans who own their own condos. It won't work for the local market, nor will it work for the backpacking cheapskates who want to get it for free. So I think it's a pretty small market--which is why there are only 163 girls in my database.

Recall that the median daily wage for the low-end hookers (street meat) is only about $35, even on Smooci.

I don't think the wage is all that high--recall this is a high-end market. The median income (for all listed girls) is about $110 per day, or about $1500 per month (few work the entire month). Discount that by 20% and you're down to about $90, from which she has to subtract expenses (e.g., transport). Remember, this is a really hard, dangerous job. I don't think they're overpaid.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This was surprisingly entertaining!

... And now I've picked up the habit of browsing that site. They've seem to have grown a lot since this article and seem to have more locations now. It's really entertaining to browse the different countries and see the difference in the type/look of escorts.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous