Hungry for Love Pt. 02

Story Info
Christmas brings new opportunities.
5.2k words
4.23
5.7k
11

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 10/19/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alright, first let me apologize. Cause to say it's been a while has been an understatement. I finished my bachelors and I'm about to finish my masters in about 3 weeks. THEN I'm supposed to be starting a new job. So I can't promise that these stories will be coming out quickly but I can promise that they will come. "After the Fact" is a bit more complicated but we'll see. Nonetheless, enjoy this new chapter of Hungry for Love!

ASH: I screwed up. Call me?

Dammit.

What the hell did Ash want?

What did he possibly have to say to her?

Did she have anything to say to him?

Carmen thought back to the day he broke her heart.

**6 Months Earlier**

Carmen had pulled up to her boyfriend's restaurant with a champagne bottle in hand to surprise him before the big opening day.

She knew he was no stranger to grand openings and Stoney's was a sure to be a success but that didn't stop her from wanting to help him celebrate.

She walked up to the giant glass double doors and used her key to unlock them.

She did her best to be quiet which wasn't too difficult considering the well-oiled doors had only just been installed.

Carmen stepped in onto freshly tiled floor and took a gaze around the room; pressed white linens, contrasted with deep navy napkins wrapped around hammered gold dining ware, gorgeous white irises draped over the center of tables and stood in flawless crystal jars. Gold paint splashed against giant slabs of rugged black granite that was hung up on the walls combining nature with just a touch of glamour.

It was perfect. Exactly the aesthetic Ash described to her. She imagined a ballet of servers as they brought out edible works of art to diners and Ash back in the kitchen with his steady hands at work, focused on creating his life's passion.

She was so proud of him.

He loved his first restaurant and it would always be his baby but it had been a practice run at best, something he could walk away from if it failed and feel good that he had at least tried. But once Paco's took off, so did his confidence and he felt he could open a restaurant that really reflected who he was as a chef and after all the help he'd given Carmen in opening her first restaurant, she wanted to be there for him for his big day.

Carmen stood there a bit longer before walking towards the back of the house and straight towards the office.

The door was shut which wasn't surprising, just the hum of the refrigerator was enough to distract him from his work, so he liked complete silence when he was in his office.

What was surprising was the fact that it was locked. Ash never locked doors, he didn't believe in it. He wanted to focus but he liked to remain accessible to his staff.

Carmen heard a quiet shuffle and knew he had to be in there.

She knocked on the door and called for him.

"Ash!", she spoke. "You in there Babe? I brought you something!"

A silent moment passed before the door swung open and Ash quickly stepped out trying clumsily to shut the door behind him.

He wasn't fast enough. Carmen caught a glimpse of long blonde hair before the door and coupled with Ash's disheveled look she could put the pieces together.

"Hey Babe," Ash said smiling. "I wasn't expecting you, I was just getting in some last-minute menu changes before the opening."

Carmen didn't speak, and she showed no expression as Ash feebly tried to cover up his dirty deeds.

There was an awkward silence before he guessed she had seen someone his office.

"I was actually doing an interview too, think I might have underestimated how many servers we might need."

Carmen still said nothing, and Ash became more nervous.

"Babe. Say something."

Carmen's eyebrows furrowed together.

Ash gave up trying to hide what he'd done.

"Carmen, I'm so sorry. It was one time. It'll never happen again."

"You're damned right it won't." Carmen said finally, and she threw the bottle of champagne at his feet causing him to jump.

With that, Carmen turned on her heel and walked out of the restaurant.

Ash had tried repeatedly to apologize; he called and texted nonstop, sent flowers and gifts, even coming by her restaurant and food trucks only to be turned away by a protective staff ready to come to her defense.

Eventually he gave up.

She had heard his grand opening had gone well and critics had given the place raving reviews.

She never doubted it would do well, but it did make her feel better knowing he couldn't have properly enjoyed his first night of business as he was constantly texting and calling her throughout the evening.

Soon after, Carmen decided she need a change of scenery. Something more familiar. As much as she loved the work she'd done in L.A. it was all a bit tainted now.

So what better way than to start from scratch?

Open a restaurant that was 100% her and do it in the place that she knew inside and out.

Her own home.

Carmen looked at the message once more.

ASH: I screwed up. Call me?

Yea. You did.

Carmen deleted the message before putting her phone down and turning back over into the pillow.

She'd get another hour of sleep before it was time to head to the mall with everyone.

Nothing was going to ruin Christmas with her favorite people.

Not even Ash.

"No No!" Henry screamed from the kitchen.

Carmen walked in to find Christina and her son sitting in a highchair, covered in oatmeal as she was actively trying to feed him another spoonful.

"Henry," Christina said in a surprisingly calm voice. "If you don't eat then you are not going with us to the mall."

He responded by crossing his arms and huffing stubbornly.

"Fine," she continued, "I guess Issy is going to the candy store all by herself then."

Henry's face scrunched even worse as he debated eating oatmeal and getting sugared up later. A few seconds passed before he slammed his arms to his side and opened his mouth wide.

Christina quickly scraped up the last of the oatmeal and shoveled it in before he could change his mind.

Henry grimaced as he swallowed the mouthful.

"You'd think we were torturing him." Stephen's voice came from around the corner and Carmen realized he had been standing in the other doorway then entire time playing on his phone.

"Look who's talking." Christina responded. "You H-A-T-E oatmeal too."

"Cause it's G-R-O-S-S." He chimed back not bothering to look up from his phone.

"You're G-R-O-S-S."

"But you L-O-V-E me."

"Do I?" asked as she looked back him over her shoulder.

"You do." Stephen said as he smiled proudly. He walked up and leaned around to kiss his wife and immediately regretted it after she returned his kiss with a face full of sticky cold oatmeal.

"Ugh!" He yelled.

Christina and Henry laughed, and Carmen found she couldn't hold back either.

Stephen looked up as Carmen keeled over.

"S-C-R-E-W you." He spelled out making Christina and Carmen laugh harder.

He grabbed a paper towel and wiped his face before tossing it in the trash.

"Alright messy marvin," Stephen spoke to the toddler, "let's get you a bath and into some clean clothes. Issy is gonna be here soon and she is not going to want to be anywhere near this mess."

Henry then reached for him and Stephen pulled him out of his chair.

Christina spoke before they could walk off, "Henry, did you tell Car Car good morning?"

He looked over at her and beamed as he stuck a messy hand into the air and yelled, "Ga moning Car Car."

Carmen giggled and said it back before Stephen walked off with him in his arms.

She then turned to Christina who was wiping up the breakfast mess.

"Honestly," Christina said while leaning over to pick up oatmeal lumps off the floor, "I don't know why I feed him this stuff, I know it's supposed to be good for him, but it always ends like this and I am beginning to think the mess outweighs the health benefits."

"If it's any consolation, you and Stephen are killing this parenting thing, I think messes just come with the territory."

Christina tossed out the paper towel she had been using and then looked at her best friend.

"You know," she said, "That actually made me feel better. You must have slept well, you're never nice in the morning."

"I did sleep well actually, what time are we supposed to be heading out?"

"Cat, Ben and Isabeau are supposed to be coming as well as Travis and Max, once they get here and we all get dressed we can leave."

"Sounds good to me." With that Carmen turned and headed for her shower.

"Babe." Stephen heard Christina call from the bedroom while he was finishing dressing himself in the closet.

"Yup." He called back.

"What's going on with Travis?"

Stephen scrunched his face at the question.

"What do you mean?"

"Like, he's not seeing anyone right?"

He peaked his head out of the closet and raised an eyebrow at her.

"Why? You interested?"

Christina smiled and rolled her eyes.

"Hilarious." She continued, "For Carmen."

"Carmen huh?" Stephen considered the thought. "Didn't she just get out of a bad situation?"

"Yea, but that was like six months ago."

Stephen laughed at his impatient wife, he knew she meant well.

"That's really not that long babe, they were pretty serious."

"Umm, you waited how long before going for me?" Christina asked before continuing with a smile, "Oh wait, you didn't."

"That was a different situation entirely, and you know it." Stephen responded quickly.

He knew she had a point though. Stephen recalled their unusual courtship and how he'd gone to hell and back for all that he had now. His beautiful wife that he loved more than his own life. The two children they'd made together. The life that he'd almost missed out on. Thinking about his brother and his own situation, he knew he deserved someone to make him happy.

Travis had gone through his own hell 10 years ago when he'd gone through his divorce. Stephen saw the pain it caused his brother as his wife chose a new life over him and their child. God only knew where Lori was now but good riddance to her. She sent letters to Max every month at first, then it became a few times a year, then eventually just a birthday card, until they stopped coming altogether. Max seemed unaffected by it seeing as he really hadn't had much of a connection with her anyway, but Travis was the one who could barely hold his anger in. He wouldn't even say her name because then he wouldn't be able to hide that he didn't have a kind word for the woman. So, he just pretended she didn't exist.

It took a long time for Travis to come to terms with his new role of "single dad", but once he accepted that Lori had let go of what they'd had as a family, it was easier for him to as well.

So maybe the idea of Carmen and Travis wasn't so bad after Stephen had considered it.

They both had been through their share of bad relationships and they both deserved a good person in their life.

Stephen stepped out of the closet fully dressed as his wife was pulling on her boots.

"You ready?" Stephen asked.

Christina stood up to show what she was wearing.

"Does this look good or should I change?"

He never knew why she asked him this, he thought she looked great no matter what she wore but his opinion never seemed to count no matter how many times she asked for it.

"It looks fine babe."

She dropped her head to the side, clearly unimpressed with his answer.

The sounds of the doorbell chimed and voices greeting each other followed.

Saved by the bell. Stephen thought to himself.

"I'm sending Carmen and Cat to come help with this." He said before stepping out of their bedroom.

Following voices into living room he saw smiling faces chatting.

"Merry Christmas!" Catherine's voice rang loudly.

"Merry Christmas!" Stephen said, returning the sentiment.

She bounced over to hug him and then pulled back beaming, "Where's Chris?"

"In the bedroom, waiting for you and Carmen to help with a wardrobe change."

Right on cue, Catherine and Carmine walked towards the back room with any further questions.

His best friend Ben rolled his eyes and shook his head as he commented, "Women, took Cat six outfit changes before I could get her in the car."

Stephen laughed as he clapped a hand on his back and laughed, "Just think. Could've been me!"

Travis who was sitting on the couch listening burst out laughing.

Ben fake laughed as he picked up his one-year-old daughter, Isabeau, and spoke to her.

"Ignore Uncle Stephen princess, Mommy has always been ours." The little girl looked at her father, clearly not understanding his words but babbled happily in agreement.

Stephen poked the little girl's tummy, making her laugh before turning towards the kitchen.

"Might be a few more minutes with those three." He called out, "Who wants coffee?"

Travis and Ben both answered said yes before joining him in the kitchen.

Another hour passed, and the three women merged from the back room.

"Are you kidding me?" Ben asked incredulously as her saw his wife was wearing a different sweater than what she arrived in.

"What?" She responded. "You don't like it?"

"Yes!" Ben called out, realizing his impending mistake. "It looks great, can we go now, the mall is going to be packed."

"We're ready." Christina said.

Everyone made their way out the front door and towards the driveway as they tried to figure out who was riding with who.

Carmen and Travis ended up in the middle row of Stephen's SUV with Henry between them while Max sat in the back playing on his phone.

After the third attempt at organizing seats, Carmine could tell Christina was trying to place her and Travis as close as possible, or at least in the same vehicle.

Eventually everyone was settled and ready to go and the two cars drove off.

As predicted the mall was packed on Christmas Eve. Last minute Christmas shoppers buzzed between stores whilst lugging piles of bags and boxes that shoved into other nearby shoppers.

Travis usually hated the mall for this exact reason; the overstimulating crowd. But there was something about being in a mall at Christmas that was the exception the rule. Maybe it was because everyone was more likely purchasing gifts for loved ones rather than themselves. Could have just been the decorations and Christmas music playing from the overhead speakers or maybe it was because being there with his family made the experience a bit more tolerable.

Travis had always valued the importance of family and being there for each other, Especially after Max's mom skipped out. He leaned on his brother Stephen more than ever then. Travis was proud of his little brother and the life he'd made for himself and he loved that Christina made him happy. And if there was one thing he knew; their dad would have adored his daughter in law.

"Alright you guys," Christina spoke up "How does everyone feel about splitting up accordingly, get your shopping done and then meeting in the food count in say...two hours?"

"Oh no," Cat interjected, "I need at least four."

Ben groaned behind her.

"Okay then," Christina chirped back "four hours, meet in the food court."

Everyone voiced their agreements and grouped off according to destinations.

As it happened, the ladies all headed towards a major department store together, leaving dads with the little ones.

Stephen scoffed, "How much you wanna bet that was planned?"

Ben and Travis laughed as the group walked in the opposite direction.

Carmen held up a plaid button up shirt for Cat and Christina to approve.

"Ew." Chis said as she scrunched up her nose.

"Seriously," Cat replied in equal disgust, "I thought you liked the guy."

Carmen's mouth dropped before turning to Chris accusingly. Christina was already pretending to look at something nearby.

"I never said I liked him." Carmen said defensively as she put the shirt back on the rack.

"Well you should." Cat reasoned "He's attractive and single."

Rolling her eyes, she replied under breath, "My only two requirements."

"You know what I mean. He's a good guy with his shit together. He's attractive. Funny. Kind. And personality wise, you are both insanely chill people that don't like a lot of drama but have also been through a lot of drama."

Carmen looked over Cat's shoulder as she spoke at Chris who was nodding approvingly.

"I didn't come here to be matched up with anyone. I came to work. I only want to work."

"Is that why you are taking your sweet time trying to pick out a Christmas gift?" Christina asked with a smirk.

"That's your fault. You never told me him and Max were coming, otherwise I would have bought their gifts in Cali. Just because they are last minute gifts doesn't mean I don't want them to be nice."

Cat shot Christina a quick smile.

"What football team do they like?" Carmen asked.

Christina responded reluctantly, "The Serna's are 100% Carolina Panthers. Thank God football season is almost over, I'm sick of making enchiladas."

"Here then," Carmen spoke as she pulled out matching Carolina Panther windbreakers, "a father/son gift."

"Ooo good idea!" Cat and Christina said expressing their approval.

"Okay now," Cat said, turning her attention back to her own shopping, "I've pretty much finished with everyone on my list. I just wanted to grab a few more outfits for Issy."

"Oh my God Cat," Christina laughed, "You bought out the entire little girls section! Issy is stocked for clothing for the next year!"

"But I didn't get shoes!" Cat responded innocently.

Carmen and Christina rolled eyes before following Cat off to the kids shoe department.

Ben checked his watch again.

"I'm not crazy right?" He compained, "They said four hours."

"Yeeeessss." Max groaned as his forehead rested on the table, looking down at a game on his phone. Stephen chuckled as he bounced Henry on his knee.

Isabeau was fast asleep on Bens shoulder as he patted her back.

The guys were sitting in the food court with the kids as they waited for the other half of their party. Shoppers continued to buzz around them while they chatted.

Travis had left to go to the restroom but returned to the table with a tray of fries.

"Figured we could snack while we wait." He said as he placed the tray down.

"Ah nice!" Ben exclaimed as he dug in.

Stephen looked over at his brother and thought back to the conversation he'd had with his wife that morning. From what he knew, Travis hadn't dated since his divorce, never even mentioned being interested in anyone.

"Trav." He said, his brother looked over in response. "When was your last date?"

Travis looked surprised. His relationship status wasn't normally a topic of conversation.

"Uhh..." He thought a moment before looking perplexed. "I guess it's been a while. Why do you ask?"

Stephen shrugged as he tried to make it seem like he was just passing the time with conversation.

"You ever think about getting back out there?"

Travis let out a sigh and shrugged, "I don't know man, between work and Max, it just doesn't seem like a priority."

Ben took a moment from eating fries to chime in, "Maybe try one of those dating apps. Binder or tumble, whatever the kids call em."

Travis laughed at the idea, "Dude I'm almost 30, what do I look like scrolling through dating profiles for teenage girls? You trying to get me arrested?"

Stephen laughed along with his brother while Ben shrugged.

"Listen," Stephen responded, "I'm just saying, you've been out of the dating pool a while, wouldn't hurt to just explore what's out there."

Truth was Travis was interested in someone. He had been for a while now.

Before Travis could respond he was interrupted by Cat and the girls coming up behind Ben. He was thankful for the interruption.

12