Hungry for Love Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh my sweet girl needed a nap."

"About time," Ben fussed, "where have yall been?"

"Sorry ya'll," Christina chimed in, "the lines at Belk are insane!"

"We survived," Stephen said as he side-eyed Ben, "ignore the drama queen."

"I'm tired and I'm sick of Christmas music. They've played jingle bells 12 times since we got here." Max said finally looking up from his phone.

Christina nodded as she placed her hand on her pregnant belly, "And this one is starving."

Carmen had been watching the round of complaints from the exhausted and was frankly amused by it, none of them would survive the restaurant business, standing for hours on end was a normal part of her day.

"How about this?" Carmen voiced as the group turned towards her, "Someone can drop me off at a store on the way back to the house and I'll pick up stuff to whip up dinner. I'll take a lyft back to the house."

"Nonsense," Travis stated, "When we get back to the house, I'll just grab my car and come back for you."

"You sure?" Carmen ask and Travis nodded happily.

Stephen refused to look at his wife because he knew she was smiling victoriously but he couldn't help but smirk as well.

"Alrighty then," Ben said as he clapped his hands together, "Let's get this show on the road!"

The group had dropped Carmen off at a Fresh Market. Christina had called her bougie for requesting a higher end market, Carmen just laughed her off. How could she explain that walking down the aisles of certain stores was therapeutic for her? And after spending the whole day at the mall surrounded by all of that high holiday energy, the quietness of the store was just what she needed.

Carmen wasn't sure what she was making for dinner, but she knew a leisure stroll through the produce would offer up some inspiration.

She picked up a butternut squash, held it to her face and inhaled. The fresh smell oh squash filled her nose as she closed her eyes to enjoy the scent.

"Any good?" a voiced came from behind her.

Carmen spun around to find Travis standing behind her with his hands in his pockets.

Oh my god. How long was he watching me?

Travis could sense her embarrassment and smiled.

"Don't worry, I do the same thing with melons. I just didn't realize squash had a smell like that."

Carmen returned his smile as she watched him shift with his hands in his pockets. All of a sudden, he seemed a little less comfortable in his skin. Like he wasn't exactly sure what to do with himself now that it was just him with her.

"Oh yea," she spoken up, "All produce has its own scent, some are a bit more subtle until they are cooked though. The smell of butternut always gives a homey feeling, I love it."

Carmen began listing off the various ways to prepare the produce as Travis watched her talk. He'd noticed how beautiful she was years ago at his brother's wedding and had even wanted to ask her to dance at some point that night, but instead he watched her rush around the venue making sure all the food was perfect for her best friend's big day. Ever since then he'd listen intently any time Christina would mention her name and give an update on her life in California. He tried his best not to show excited he really was when he'd heard she'd be coming back to North Carolina to open a restaurant.

"People don't realize just how versatile it is." Travis realized Carmen was still explaining the potential of the butternut squash.

"Well is that our main ingredient tonight?" He asked.

"Probably not," Carmen responded thoughtfully before laughing, "I was just admiring."

She placed the fruit back before scanning the rest of the produce.

"What's your favorite food?" She called back to him over her shoulder.

Travis didn't have to think about it at all.

He responded without hesitation, "Gumbo."

Carmen stopped in her tracks and looked back at him.

"I lived in New Orleans for a few years after college and there was no such thing as bad food there, but nothing was better than gumbo."

She thought for a moment before responding, "I can do that."

Travis proceeded to follow Carmen around the store grabbing various items. She was suddenly a woman on a mission, and he was enjoying working as her assistant. He suddenly understood why Max had enjoyed himself so much helping her make a pizza. She had an energy when she worked that just made you want to follow her. Her passion for food was obvious and it made the people around her passionate about food as well, at least for her food. He remembered the salmon she's made for Christina and Stephen's wedding and how it practically melted in your mouth and the pizza last night might have looked like a meat Frankenstein concoction, but the flavor was explosive.

There was no doubt, this woman was placed on the earth to cook and she did a damn good job at it.

Carmen was placing a couple of bottles of wine into the baskets as she spoke to him, "That should be it. I've made it a few times before, but it's always come out delicious, I promise I won't disappoint."

She smiled at him and his stomach tightened.

This was the most time the two of them had ever spent alone and he was feeling like a goofy teenager. His intention when he offered to come back to pick her up was to flirt and maybe get her to see him as more than just her best friend's brother in law, but now he just felt awkward around her. The only role in his life he felt confident in was as Max's dad. Maybe Stephen was right, he needed to flex the ol' dating muscle. If only to get some of that confidence back because he clearly had no idea how to function around a woman like Carmen.

"Carmen!" Catherine exclaimed as she patted her stomach and lay back on the loveseat, "That was delicious!"

The room suddenly filled with comments of agreement and thanks.

Christina's parents and younger brother had come over for Christmas Eve so she was glad she had made what she originally thought was too much gumbo.

"Glad yall enjoyed it!" She replied as she picked up bowls to take into the kitchen. Travis stood to help but Stephen told them both to sit.

"You guys made dinner, don't worry about clean up."

Carmen sat back down on the couch and looked around the room. Christina and Stephen's living room was fairly large but filled with people it was much cozier. Not overcrowded but exactly how someone's home should be during the holidays. Filled with the people you cared about.

Andrew and Max were showing each other something on their phones, Christina's dad Richard was tickling a laughing Henry while his wife Marion took pictures, and Ben and Cat were cuddling Issy as she tried to wriggle away.

Carmen looked back into the kitchen to see Christina chatting away whilst cleaning and Stephen never taking his eyes off her as he took each plate, she'd pass him to put in the dishwasher. It was clear that even after all this time her was completely in love with his wife.

"They're pretty cute huh?" Travis whispered as she realized she'd been caught watching.

She laughed with embarrassment, "Yea, they are and happy too."

"Mmhmm," he agreed. "I'm proud of my little brother. He found a good one."

"I'd have to agree with that."

Travis grinned at her.

He has a really cute smile.

"What about you?" he continued. "You have a good one?" He was trying not to come off too obvious, but he was curious to see where she was in the relationship department.

"Oh no," Carmen said as she thought back to the text, she had received that morning. "If it doesn't involve food somehow, I'm probably not too interested these days."

Travis nodded in understanding but he was a little disappointed at her answer.

"I don't know," she continued "It's not that I don't want to find someone, it's just kind of hard when all you do is work."

Ok. Travis thought. So, a tiny chance?

"What about you?" Carmen asked.

"Umm," he said, collecting his thoughts, "Same I suppose. I'm open to it, but they'd have to be understanding of my role as a dad. Max has been my world for years; she'd have to be gentle in how she approaches a relationship with me."

Carmen appreciated his answer.

The two chatted back and forth quietly as those around them engaged in their own conversations. As they continued to talk, focusing intently on what the other was saying, they failed to notice a few peering eyes.

Christina and Cat had been having their own conversation across the room. Eyes widening and gesturing as they watched two of the people, they cared about engage in a discussion they wished they could hear.

Stephen had noticed Travis and Carmen talking as well, but his goal was to make sure Cat and Chris didn't meddle. He was more of the mindset that what should happen, would happen; naturally.

After the dishes were put away and the kitchen cleaned everyone settles into the living room to watch a Christmas movie.

By the time it had ended Cat and Ben had taken a sleeping Issy home and Christina's parents and brother had also left.

Travis and Max had brought along their pajamas and slept in the upstairs guestroom.

Carmen was in the downstairs guestroom wide awake and on her laptop working.

At least she was trying to.

She kept thinking back to Travis and that adorable smile he kept beaming at her. She barely remembered anything they'd talked about tonight but she remembered him smiling at her and how it made her face warm.

She felt her thigh vibrate and reached for her phone.

ASH: I get that ur pissed Car, but we can't just leave it like this. I'm hurt 2. Pls. Call me.

Carmen let out a huff. He had some fucking nerve trying to play the victim here.

She text back.

CARMEN: You made a choice. Lose my number.

She waited a moment before a new text came through.

ASH: I'm not giving u up that easily. We're not done.

Carmen wasn't even going to respond to that.

She put the phone faced down on the nightstand and turned out the light.

As she drifted off to sleep, she found herself walking the aisles of a bougie grocery store and smelling fresh produce with a man whose smile made her face warm.

12