Husbands And Boyfriends Ch. 06

Story Info
At the party.
2.7k words
4
4.7k
4
0

Part 6 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/03/2023
Created 07/12/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Neoindra
Neoindra
40 Followers

This chapter is told from Aaron's (the boss) point of view.

Recap cast of characters:

Jack-husband

Jewel-Wife

Connor-Bartender

Aaron-Boss

It's my party and I'll sulk if I want to.

Aaron

A silent curse went through my head as I scanned the party in front of me. It was a stunning success. The champagne was chilled, the hors d'oeuvres were hot, and my guests were all mingling in the small, polite groups that ensured a good company morale. So why was I standing here, alone, getting more and more irritated by the second?

Oh, yes, because our newest partner and his bewitching bride hadn't shown yet. Jack was late. I glanced down at my overpriced and slightly obnoxious watch again. Sneering at the timepiece, I wasn't sure if I was more aggravated by the couples tardiness or at the sheer tackiness of the stupid watch. Once more I debated throwing it away. But Shelly, my third wife and my most recent ex-wife, had given it to me. She'd wanted it back in the divorce. It was the only thing she'd wanted. Well, other than my goddamned lawyer.

I shook my head as I slipped the sleeve of my tailored dress shirt back over the monstrosity. Knowing my wearing it brought Shelly some measure of grief tickled a petty spirit in me. One of these days, however, when this game lost its fun, I would relish breaking the fucking thing and mailing it to her and her new husband. My goddamned ex-lawyer.

The motion of the door opening caught my attention and pulled my focus back to my party. And my truant guests. Who were sweeping in as if they weren't a half hour late. My gaze ran over Jack before it took in Jewel. The woman who had offered to fuck me, once, in exchange for something. My smile twisted at the memory. Just like all three of my wives.

Except, the something she wanted was for somebody else, a small voice at the back of my head whispered. I rolled my eyes at the distinction. No. I don't think any of my ex-wives would've lifted a fucking finger to help me, but a wife trying to help the person who keeps a roof over their head and food on their table is hardly altruistic.

With a quick motion, I downed the rest of the scotch in my glass before making my way toward them. It would be rude for me, the host, to not greet my guests. Even if they are late.

"Jack." I held my hand out, but barely acknowledged his grasp as he shook it. Turning to face his wife, I repeated the gesture. Only, as I finally looked at her, I forgot what I was about to say. Her eyes were wide, her hair wild. She ran a hand down the length of her locks as if reading my mind before straightening her obviously skewed dress. Fuck. I knew that look. They'd just had sex. In the car. Either on the way over or in my own driveway. Maybe they weren't late. I chuckled at the thought as I made a mental note to check the security cameras after everybody left.

"Jewel," she said, as she took my hand.

Shit. Yes. That's what I was going to say. Her fucking name. "Of course. Sorry. I was just taken aback by your appearance." I watched the blush spread over her cheeks as she glanced up at Jack. "I was beginning to think maybe you hadn't gotten the invitation." I looked pointedly at my ugly watch once more.

Her expression melted into one of apology. "Oh, yes. Our late appearance," she said. "I'm so sorry. We had some..." she looked up at Jack again, this time her blush was for her husband alone, "car issues on the way over. I am really sorry."

Car trouble? Really? That's what she was going to go with? Everybody knew Jack kept his cars regularly serviced. Not as regularly as his wife apparently, but the man didn't have car problems. "Oh, that's too bad. The Mercedes or the BMW?"

Jack's smile stiffened. "Look at us. Monopolizing your time. Over a silly flat tire. I'm sure there are other people you'd much rather be talking to."

"Even if not," Jewel added, "I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love to have a moment of your time."

Just not her. I heard the words clearly even if she didn't say them. Yes, a flat tire was a more believable story. Those did tend to happen rather randomly. Not that I was buying their excuses. But at least Jack had put some thought into his version of events. As to the bit about other people I would rather be talking to or would rather be talking to me? Yes, actually. There were several. "As a matter of fact." I had barely taken a step away from them when I heard someone call Jewel's name. "And it looks like I'm not the only one."

Of course not, everybody loved Jewel. I sneered as I made my way to the bar. I needed another drink. And maybe a moment alone to collect myself. What was it about that damned woman that bothered me so much? She was pretty. Sure. But I'd had drop dead gorgeous women throw themselves at me.

Not that she'd actually thrown herself, that stupid little voice in my head whispered. "Scotch, neat." The bartender stopped pouring the glass of champagne he was currently working on to fill my order. Smart man. I made a mental note to book them for all future engagements.

"Here, sir." The man said with a slight nod of respect. Reaching into the breast pocket of my suit jacket, I pulled out a twenty.

"Thanks." His eyes took in the tip, but he didn't comment on it. That would be tacky. I was liking this guy more and more. "Leave your business card on the bar at the end of the night." It was past time for me to start making some changes in the house staff. Shelly hadn't taken any of them with her when she'd left and I had a sneaking suspicion that they were where her and her lawyer got some of the dirt they used against me in the divorce. Yes. Time for a little house cleaning of my own. A man's valet had to be trusted, afterall.

With my drink in hand, I made my way to my study. It was my party. I could disappear for a second or two if I wanted. Hell, even if it wasn't my party, nobody was going to tell me where I could or couldn't go. I had worked my ass off and sacrificed three marriages on the altar of this damn career for the privilege.

As I made my way across the room, I smiled and nodded to my party goers. I brushed off whatever advances they made to rope me into some inane conversation. A minute. That was all I needed. Of course, the fates were never that kind to me. Just as I was breaking free of the soiree, one last glance was enough to bring me to a halt.

There was Jewel. With her fucking hand on Mike's arm. They could've been talking about anything but my mind instantly went to her asking the asshole if he worked out. I shook the thought out of my head. Of course, it was in that moment that she glanced up and our gazes locked. The lovely smile on her face fell. Because, of course it did. Her smile wasn't for me. Not unless she got something from me for it.

Before I could say or do anything to embarrass myself, I turned and stormed out of the room. My study, however, wasn't the retreat I thought it would be. As soon as I closed the door behind me, I could feel the walls closing in on me. Too many books lined them. Books I never had any intention of reading. Books I'd bought and put on display to make me look like I was smarter than I am. I contemplated sitting, but the rich leather upholster seemed arrogant tonight. Why did I need to buy the expensive leather? Nobody ever came in here. Just me. So I'd bought it simply to make myself feel better. In an attempt to convince myself that I deserved expensive things simply because I could afford them. Which was kind of sad when viewed in that light.

I jumped as the door creaked open behind me. Spinning, I was only partially surprised to find Jewel standing in the doorway. "Come in or leave," I said. My mood must have carried over into the words as she jumped. "Come. In. Or. Leave," I repeated.

After one more second of indecision, she straightened her shoulders and entered the room. I hated to admit how relieved I was that she'd made that choice. "I think we should talk."

Lifting my eyebrow, I asked, "About what?"

"That afternoon in your office."

Did I not say that we were going to pretend that didn't happen? I could've sworn I did. "I'm not sure what you're talking about, Jewel." I used her name just to prove I still could. My insides might twist with irrational anger when I did, but I could. "Sorry, Mrs. Gear."

"The afternoon I propositioned you. In hopes of Jack getting a promotion." Her cheeks turned a light pink as she spoke. The first sign she might be rattled around me. Not that I could believe she was as off kilter as I. She was too poised for that. She, after all, hadn't run to a hideout to drink and sulk by herself. No, she'd sought me out to have a proper discussion. There was no way she felt the inner turmoil I did. But she felt something.

I snapped my fingers. "Oh, yes. The day you offered to whore yourself out to me in order to benefit your household coffers." I forced a smile. "Now I remember."

She took a step back as if I'd struck her. Maybe I had. When she opened her mouth to speak, no words came out. She just stood there staring at me as if in shock.

"Is that the afternoon you are speaking of?" I should leave it alone. I'd gotten my reaction. I'd put her in her place. But I found I just couldn't. "Is that what you were discussing with Mike out there? How he could pay you for a night in your bed." It wasn't until that moment that I realized that it was that aspect of the day that had gotten under my skin. Not that she'd propositioned me. But that one of my best employees thought they had to send their wife in to fucking offer herself up for a fucking promotion they had earned three times over. One I would've given them had they just asked.

Yes, it could be argued that employees shouldn't have to ask for things they'd already earned. A good boss would stay on top of those matters. But, shit, I'm only human. Between the divorce and preventing the attempted hostile takeover which, thanks to me, none of them even knew about, I kind of had my hands fucking full.

She snapped her jaw closed and nodded. A jerking movement that looked out of place given her body's naturally graceful lines. "I see. Yes. That afternoon." She turned to the door but paused with her hand on the doorknob. "I'm sorry to have offended you. Thank you for not taking it out on Jack. He had no idea." She sucked in a breath as if she'd just give away some secret.

"I find it hard to believe he didn't know. He's been shooting me glares for the past two weeks and won't be in the same room alone with me. Even after I gave him the fucking promotion."

Turning, she faced me again, her back braced against the door as if she were acting as some sort of barricade. "He knew I was there to fuck you. He didn't know that I was offering to..." she looked away, "....whore myself out for his benefit. As you so eloquently put it."

"Interesting tidbit of information." She had given me something. A bit of information her own husband didn't even have. That had some merit. I went to my liquor cabinet and picked a wine glass for her before filling it with my best red. The one I kept only in my private study for a visitor such as her. "Doesn't seem like it's in your best interest to share it with me, however. Aren't you worried I'll share it with others? Especially given my assholic comments of the night." Even I realized how much of a jerk I was. Then again, I was being a jerk on purpose so that was to be expected.

Much to my relief, she took the glass from me before taking a small sip of the wine. "Mmm..... This is good." The words spread over my injured ego like a balm. She'd taken my peace offering. Sure, she might not know that was what it was. Still, she'd taken it. "And, though your words were assholic, they were also true. As was my gratitude that you didn't take my slight out on Jack. He really does enjoy his job. He probably would've stayed with his old title even with the other companies scouting him."

Yet another interesting tidbit. Jack was being actively scouted. I ran my fingers through my hair. Someone was trying to pouche my best partner. Associate, I corrected. That's what he'd been just three weeks ago. I took a drink of my scotch. He hadn't, however, left. And he hadn't sent his pretty wife in to sweeten the pot for him. His standing went up in my opinion. He was loyal and honest. Determined to get ahead on his own merit. I appreciated that. Of course, the realization only made me feel worse about having forgotten to acknowledge that merit.

"Jack is a good guy. And a damned good employee. To be honest, I should've given him that promotion over a year ago. I've just been..." fuck, was I really going to have to admit this to her, "...too busy with my own personal shit to realize it. So, for that, I am grateful for you. Had you not given me such a...creative proposition," I owed her enough to soften how I was categorizing that afternoon, "I'm not sure how long it would've taken for me to get my head out of my ass. I hate to admit it, but it might have been too late to keep Jack from walking." When she opened her mouth to argue, I shook my head to silence her. "Loyalty is a two way street and I wasn't doing my part. So. Thank you. In all sincerity."

"As to Mike--"

I stopped her again. "That's between you and Jack. You certainly don't owe me an explanation. Who you flirt with is your business."

She rolled her eyes at me. Rolled. Her. Eyes. "Please, if I was flirting with Mike, we'd be the ones in a private room right now. I was just congratulating him. His wife is pregnant. They've been trying for forever."

How had I not known that? "Really?"

"Yes. She had to go through IVF and her family is a bit religiously fanatic. They aren't talking to her right now because of the embryos that will have to be destroyed now that the treatment was successful." She gave me a sad smile. "I just thought they could use a friendly face and a bit of sincere happiness and support. They're having a baby for Pete's sake. This should be a joyful time for them."

"That's..." I paused, "sweet of you."

Her laugh filled the room around me. "For a whore and all, I guess it is. For any mere human, it is considered basic consideration."

Damn. I was going to have to make this up to her. I wondered if she had any need for a godawful, but expensive, watch.

Neoindra
Neoindra
40 Followers