I Used to Love Her...

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jim got up and went down to his basement abode. Linda heard the dead bolt.

Jim's appointment with Dr. Heidi Hawthorne was a lengthy one. She asked for and got a huge amount of detail about what happened at the club, what the marriage had been like, and what had happened since Linda came home. She was taking notes, but there was also video. Part of the long interview was taken up by Jim's tears, which flowed copiously as he described his marriage, and the betrayal. He did not cry when he described the arrangements he'd made after he got home.

When the history was complete, they talked it through from the point of view of the kids. The upshot was that separate lives within the marriage, if accompanied by distaste for each other or open dislike, would damage the children more than a divorce. Even if Jim reached the point of true indifference to Linda, and she to him, the lack of warmth might have an adverse effect on the kids. Plus, they would become aware that their parents had other sexual partners.

Jim left the office and immediately called a divorce lawyer whose name he had from a friend. His appointment was the next day. He was distracted at work and headed home early, picking up the kids from school. Linda got home on time from her job. Jim had decided to cook for all four so they could have family time. So, he put dinner on the table at six pm and they had something close to a normal meal. Except Jim and Linda really didn't talk to each other. After dinner, Linda cleaned up and Jim played checkers with both kids. On-line checkers with simultaneous games. He won both. But the kids were getting better. Linda watched for a while, then took the kids to bed.

Jim went downstairs.

The meeting with the lawyer yielded the following: no fault divorce in the Commonwealth required a full year of separation, because there were minor children. However, the process could be advanced if the petition alleged adultery. That would have to be proved by clear and convincing evidence, and there would need to be corroboration, even if the spouse had admitted adultery. A discussion ensued about how to prove it in this case. Because adultery is a misdemeanor in the state, Linda could not be compelled to testify about her night with Marc.

Jim was warned that a resumption of sexual relations at this point would be called condonation and could negate the adultery charge.

When he went home, Jim had his cell phone recorder ready.

It was his turn to put the kids to bed. He had cooked spaghetti and meatballs, so they were messy. When he came downstairs, Linda again wanted to talk.

Jim had the recorder on. Linda said, "Jim, we can get over this. I know it."

"How? Shall I forget that you dumped me on our special night to go screw a football player? How could I forget?"

"I was....overwhelmed. Like I said. Anyway, he was a disappointment."

"Right. As if I believe that. He has a big reputation for his big equipment."

Linda blushed. She said, "He is big. But he....he isn't like you. He's self-involved. Just take my word, I'd choose you over him every time."

"Yeah. Except Friday night. Then you chose him over me in front of the whole world. And that was that for us. Surely you can see that."

Linda said, "But I would never do it again. Never."

Jim looked at her beautiful face. He spoke in a low voice. "No way I believe you. You'll do what you want to do, and fuck who you want to fuck. Well, it won't bother me anymore. I won't be hurt like that again - at least by you."

He got up and went to his new abode. He was gasping when he sat down. It took him some time to get his breath back. It was even longer before he slept.

The next day Jim dropped by Dee's office at lunch time. He had his recorder on. She accepted his request that they walk, maybe get a bite.

As they walked to the street, Jim said, "I'm so lost, Dee. I don't understand how Linda could just throw me over and go off to fuck that guy. So, maybe you can help me understand."

"She thought it would be the sexual highlight of her life. So, she went for it. I would've if he came on to me."

"Yeah, and now she expects me to stay around, when she'll always be comparing me to him. And I lose."

Dee chuckled. She said, "The next morning, Linda told me that he wasn't all that great. Not as good as you."

"Not something I believe, Dee."

"Why? Why not believe it?"

"Because you and she have every reason to lie about that. Keep me in line. Boost my damaged ego."

Dee said, "Well, Jim. I can think of something you and I can do to boost your ego." She fluttered her eyes at him.

Jim stopped cold. He said, "You'd fuck me? Even though you're married?"

She said, "All for a good cause, Jim. And, you know, for a good time, too. Dave isn't you."

For maybe thirty seconds Jim considered it. Then he said, "No can do. It's wrong. It was wrong for her to do it, and it would be wrong for us to do it."

He walked off. No lunch for Dee.

Jim had a tape of their conversation. Corroboration.

LINDA

Jim had a set of divorce papers in an envelope. He had thought long and hard about the entire situation. The petition had not yet been filed with the court. Instead, Jim brought the petition with him for a discussion with Linda after the children were asleep. They sat at the kitchen table and Jim showed Linda the papers. They asked for a divorce based upon adultery with Marc Lavalier. They asked for joint custody, with Jim remaining in the home and paying no alimony.

Linda was weeping as she read. She looked up at Jim who said, "I have not had this filed yet. If it gets filed, you and the jerk will have some publicity. As much as I can get. And that will end up hurting the kids. Jibes at school. Maybe worse."

Linda was silent. She nodded.

Jim said, "This doesn't have to be filed. We can make it no fault with a separation agreement." He handed that proposed agreement to Linda. It contained the same conditions as in the petition.

Linda said, "Blackmail."

Jim nodded.

Linda said, in a cold voice, "Do you hate me so much?"

"I'm gonna try to get over it. Move on. So I can deal with you as the kids' mother."

Linda asked, "Are we going to stay in this house, like now?"

"For a while. Then you get your own place."

"I can't afford that. It would be a dump that I wouldn't want the kids at."

"I'm not living in the basement for much longer. This is all on you. So you move. You can have a couple of days to consider. Maybe see a lawyer."

"It's not fair, Jim. It was one night. It wasn't planned. It just happened."

"Too bad. You make choices and you live with the results."

"Ten years against one night."

Jim paused. Then he spoke, "Linda, when you walked away from me and the kids that night, I was shocked. I thought, to start, that your behavior was so much out of kilter with what you were that it was inexplicable. But the more I thought about it, the less that seemed to be true. Instead, I realized that your easy betrayal of us was not some aberration. It was who you were and who you've always been. I'm surprised we made it this far."

"No. No! I've always loved you. Always."

"You loved how I adored you. You loved you. When you walked back into the house after your fuckfest, you said, 'It's the same old me.' That was the absolute truth. The night before you were the same person you've always been. Not a person I can love."

He walked away, turned back and said, "I give you two days to decide which divorce you choose."

She decided on the separation agreement. It wasn't because she wanted to spare the kids. It was because she still believed that she'd be able to get Jim back in line, given an entire year.

All her efforts failed. After six weeks, Jim found her an apartment and helped her move in. He kicked in some money for rent. He simply needed to get loose of her, as much as he could.

She tried to seduce him several times. No dice. She stopped. Her failures in that regard were bad for her ego. So, she seduced one of her co-workers. He was a twenty-five year old gym rat - Josh Billings. She made a show of displaying him to her friends and family. To Jim. When the kids reported to Jim that Josh was sleeping over at mommy's apartment, Jim threatened to petition the court for only supervised visits. That ended the kids' association with Josh.

The year passed. The divorce went through. Linda had gotten a big raise from her randy old boss. So, Jim didn't have any further need to subsidize her apartment.

As for Jim, he met a nice young woman when he took up cycling to keep in better shape. She was Gail Brenton, and she was in great shape. She wasn't a beauty, though. Jim had learned a lesson there. Beauty is only skin deep. He saw Gail for what she was, and he liked her. The kids liked her as well. She now spends a lot of time at Jim's house.

FEBRUARY - PLUS EIGHTEEN MONTHS

Jim and Gail noticed that the local paper had a top of the fold item on Saturday. It read:

FOOTBALL STAR INJURED IN ROBBERY.

Sharks Linebacker Marc Levallier sustained life threatening injuries during an apparent robbery as he was leaving a downtown dance club Friday night. His lone attacker used some sort of club in the robbery. Mr. Levallier sustained serious head trauma as well as possibly debilitating injuries to his legs. The attack came as Mr. Levallier was waiting to meet a woman outside the club.

Several other Sharks players were nearby and made some effort to catch the attacker. However, he fled on a bicycle.

Police say they have no firm leads as to the identity of the miscreant.

End.

12