I Was an Arrogant Son of a Bitch

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No way. They don't want the kids endangered any more than we do."

"Do you trust her?" Tina asked.

"I trust that she will be here on time or she will call me. I trust that she will be a good mother. After all, she was fine until that jerk changed her."

"Remember," my mother said to Tina and me, "the divorce was your (meaning me) fault to begin with."

"I agree. I had changed for the worse. Fortunately, I was able to fix myself."

"Then is there any reason to assume she hasn't, or can't, fix herself?"

"I'd like to think not, but I just don't know."

My mother came to stand in front of me. I stood. She looked up into my face. "If there is ANY doubt in your mind, don't let her," then she hugged me "but do what your heart tells you to do." I smiled down at her.

"Why are you smiling?"

"I remember as a child having to look up at you. Now I have to look down, but I still look up to your wisdom." She reached up and gave me a gentle smack on the cheek.

"I think she'll be fine as long as that asshole stays away."

Then I laughed out loud. I had never heard my mother say asshole.

The kids wanted their mother to help them shop for clothes and school supplies, so the four of us did it together. The kids also wanted her to swim with them, but she never did. She told me that she would when she didn't look like an emaciated scarecrow.

Cheryl and I were still seeing each other, but one, or both of us had changed. On reflection, it was probably me. I seemed to spend more time with CC. Cheryl and I discussed it several times, but never came to any conclusions. She seemed to think that CC and I would get back together. I always scoffed at the idea, but I could sense my protestations were getting weaker.

On the first day of school, I sent the kids off, and their mother welcomed them home, and it went like that for the first week. CC would leave within minutes of my arrival home. Monday of the second week, I came home to the aroma of stroganoff and it smelled wonderful. "I had time so I made it. I hope you don't mind." Said CC.

The same thing happened two more times that week. When it happened on Friday, I took her aside and told her not to do it anymore. Why? I didn't know. I enjoyed not having to cook or order in, and she was a very good cook, but it just didn't seem right.

That weekend, my mother watched the kids while Cheryl and I tried to fuck our brains out at her house. It was as if we were trying to exorcise demons from our bodies; washing them away so there was nothing between us except our feelings for one another. We wanted the whole weekend. We made it until noon Saturday.

"This is pretty much it for us, isn't it?" she asked.

"Yeah, pretty much."

"What happened?"

"I was going to ask you the same question. I'm not sure I know."

"Is it your ex-wife?"

"God, I hope not. The thought of getting back together with her is not on my radar screen."

"Is it on hers?"

"No... At least I don't think so."

"Maybe you should find out. Then maybe, you and I can pick up the pieces if we want to." At that point she walked to the door and held it open for me. "Good bye, Jake."

What a Chinese clusterfuck this was turning out to be. I walked out, went home and let my mother finish the weekend with the kids. I spent the time thinking.

When the kids came home Sunday evening, I asked my mother if she could be at the house when they got home from school on Monday.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"I don't know, Mom. I like it when she's here but feel better when she leaves. The kids and I have a good life now, and the more she's in it, the more confusing it gets."

"What's she doing wrong?"

"Nothing, unless you call cleaning the house and cooking dinner wrong."

"Ah... now I see. She's working her way back in. Is that it?"

"That's the way it appears."

"And you don't want her back, is that it?"

I never answered, because I didn't know. When Mom left, I called CC and told her not to come back.

"Have I done something wrong?" she asked.

"No. I just think it's better this way. You can still see the kids, just call first."

Another couple of weeks went by. Audrey was still going to the church pool and diving after school. And at the University pool on Saturday mornings, she was diving off of the three meter springboard and the five meter platform. Cheryl and I weren't an item anymore, but she certainly liked working with Audrey. CC took Audrey on Saturday mornings and had long talks with Cheryl about Audrey's diving progress and future.

Time went by and another Thanksgiving was approaching. The kids wanted their mother to eat with us. She readily accepted and volunteered to do the cooking.

Then it was Christmas.

CC had gained most of her weight back and she looked very nice. She was working, had her own car and was tired of living with her parents, so she asked if she could move back into the old house. I had been paying the mortgage and the people who had been renting it had moved out. It was sitting empty... so I told her she could.

She took Audrey to diving lessons on Saturday and spent the rest of the day with the kids, but she and I had very little communication. One Saturday morning a couple of months later, CC couldn't take Audrey for her diving lessons, so I took her. I hadn't seen Cheryl in months and smiled when I did. She smiled back then went to greet another diver. We never spoke but we did keep looking at each other; me more than her because she was busy watching her divers and coaching them.

Audrey and I were walking out when Cheryl called my name. She asked if she could speak to me privately. My immediate thought was that she wanted us to try again, but I was wrong. "Audrey will be 12 next year. We are putting together a few divers to go to Colorado Springs and train at the Olympic Training Site. I think Audrey is good enough to go. What do you think?"

"If she wants to do that, we'll make it happen."

"Good. Thank you."

"Is that all?"

"Yes. Do you want me to tell her or will you?"

"I will."

"She'll do well. Thank you, Jake."

"Of course."

In the car Audrey seemed excited, but didn't say anything. Finally, she couldn't stand it anymore. "Well? May I go?"

"Go where?"

"To Colorado. That's what you and Miss Cheryl were talking about, isn't it?"

I smiled. "Yes, it is, and yes you may." She tried to hug me, but we were belted in.

She used my phone to call Cheryl and tell her. Then Cheryl spoke to me and told me there were some papers I would have to fill out and sign. She would bring them to practice the next Saturday. I made it a point of being there.

She was waiting for us when we arrived. We sat in the bleachers and she went through the paperwork with me and showed me where to sign. I rarely carried my checkbook, but I always had a blank check in my wallet so I filled it out and handed it and the paperwork back to her.

We sat there side by side looking out over the swimming area and watched some of the kids playing in the water. Audrey had joined them. We sat in silence for several minutes looking straight ahead before she spoke. "I miss you."

Still looking straight ahead, I said, "I miss you too." I started to add something, but was cut short by a child needing instruction. She was busy the rest of the session so we had no opportunity to talk, so when Audrey was finished and dressed, we left for home.

We hadn't seen CC in over a week and the kids asked if we could go over to her house. There was a helicopter flying pretty low as we drove up and there was a car parked in the driveway and five on the street when we drove up. Three of the five were obviously police patrol cars and there were several uniformed officers around the house. I told the kids to stay in the car and I approached the house, but was stopped by two officers. I told them I was the owner of the house and wanted to know what was going on.

"Just a minute." Came a voice from inside. A man in a suit appeared at the door. "Are you Jacob Sweeney?"

"I am. Who are you?"

"Detective Sergeant Lionel Bernard, Police Department. May I talk to you for a few minutes?"

"What's this all about?"

"Why don't we talk in my car?"

We did just that, but only after I saw Audrey and Steve getting out of our car. "Stay in the car, kids. I'll be right back."

"Do you know a James Smothers?" Asked Detective Sergeant Lionel Bernard.

"I know a Jimmy Smothers."

"That's him. Have you seen him around?"

"Here? No. He's in Jail in Texas."

"He was in jail in Texas, but he was inadvertently released."

"How?"

"One of those bureaucratic snafu's where some schmuck in admin didn't know his ass from third base and confused Smothers with another dickhead who had bail."

"And you think he's here?"

"We know he is. That car in the driveway is the one he stole and drove here."

"How long ago was he here?"

"He saw us coming and took off through the woods, but we'll catch him."

"Is CC okay?"

"You mean Mrs. Smothers?"

"Yes."

"She seems to be."

"May I talk to her?"

"We'll be leaving in a few minutes. You can talk then."

He asked a few more questions about my relationship with CC and Smothers and I told him about the second mortgage fraud and that I thought it might have been perpetrated by Smothers with his partner in crime, Gordo's, wife possibly being the one who forged CC's signature.

"Yeah, we know about that and when we catch him, we'll chat with him about it. Then we'll send him back to Texas. Then when they're finished with him, we'll bring him back here and put him in our jail for a long time. Assholes like him need to be kept off the streets forever, in my opinion."

I agreed with him in that regard and was reminded that my mother had called him the same thing.

I went to my car and told the kids what was going on. They wanted to wait and see their mother so we sat in the car until all the police were gone then Steve rang her doorbell.

She didn't seem to be a bit shaken when we went in, and greeted us normally. She and the kids were talking so I walked through the house. She came after me and closed her bedroom door, but not before I saw the bed which was disheveled like there had been a party on it. There was also a pair of men's trousers and briefs on the floor just inside the door.

I just looked at her and she rushed back to the kids. Who she slept with was none of my business, but I had been under the impression that she was through with Smothers; but apparently she wasn't.

The kids would not be coming back to this house.

The kids had a thousand questions for her about the police, but surprisingly, I didn't. It was pretty settled in my mind. Despite her protestations otherwise, he had come back to her and she had accepted him with an open house and open legs.

Later, when I was home, she called and tried to explain. He told her he had been released early, which actually was the truth, and he would explain when he saw her. He just failed to tell her his release was an administrative error. He had arrived four days earlier and had stayed with her. That would account for her not seeing the kids.

That morning he was getting something from the car he stole and saw the police cars coming down the street so he took off. He was wearing trousers, tee shirt, shoes and socks. He had admitted to her that he and Gordo's wife forged our signatures but he promised to repay after he made his next big score.

"I believe him, Jake. He's changed"

"Uh. Yeah. That's why he stole a car and then ran when he saw the police."

"It's all a mistake. He just wants a chance to clear it up."

I laughed. "So he's going back to Texas to straighten it all out. Right?"

"That's right."

"With just a pair of trousers, a tee shirt, some shoes and socks."

"Well, uh, I, uh....."

"Oh, I get it. You're going to meet him with his clothes and drive him to Texas."

"Yes."

"When?"

"I'm on my way now. He needs his clothes."

"So what happened to all the things you said about him and the way he treated you?"

"I told you, He's changed."

"Where are you meeting him?"

"There's a rest area at the state line. He's there now."

"I wish you the best of luck." And I ended the call and immediately made another one. "Hello. Detective Sergeant Bernard. I've some news for you."

Two hours later, he called me back. "We got here too late. His wife arrived with his stuff, he took her purse and car and took off leaving her here. What a great guy. That's the bad news. The good news is the highway patrol saw the vehicle, gave chase, he wrecked and he's in custody."

"Where's CC?"

"On her way to the police station. She's in a bit of trouble for helping him."

It was that exact moment that my life changed. I realized that I no longer cared what CC did with her life, but I did care about her relationship with our children. CC's judgement was impaired and I could no longer trust her to see the children without me or one of my four parents being present. I would talk to her about staying in the house, but no longer rent free. Things were going to change.

I ever had a chance to discuss it with her, however, because two days later, her father stopped by my house. He told me that CC was released on her own recognizance and was on her way to Texas. She wanted to be close to Smothers when he got there so she could visit him. He gave me the keys to the house. "She told me to tell you to do what you wanted with the stuff that's in it."

I shook my head. "She didn't even say good bye to the kids."

"Don't keep them from us, Jake. Please."

"Of course, I won't."

When the kids came home, I told them. Neither of them seemed surprised.

It was the first Saturday that diving resumed that I saw Cheryl. I was sitting in the bleachers as she and the divers came out of the locker room. She knew I was there because she had talked to Audrey, so she came right up and sat beside me.

I was first. "I talked to your brother Lyle. He told me you were seeing someone."

"I am. He teaches economics here."

"Is it serious?"

"I like him."

"I'm happy for you."

"Thank you."

She stood, looked down at me, touched my cheek and went to coach her divers.

The ride home was quiet. In fact, my world was quiet for the next two months. I had the house CC had been living in emptied and cleaned and put up for sale. It was on the market two days and I had two offers. There was a small bidding war and sold for my asking price.

At Audrey's Saturday morning diving class, I took some work with me and worked unless she was diving; then I watched her. Cheryl and I would acknowledge each other, but that was it.

Summer was coming and school was out. Audrey was packing for Colorado Springs and I received a call from Cheryl. "The parent who was going to chaperone the kids had to back out. Would you be available to spend the first week in Colorado with them?"

"I'll find out. I will if I can."

Turned out, I could. There were only five kids going, plus Cheryl and me. The first day was orientation and getting acquainted. There was a welcoming get together and the kids, who were from all over the country, all met and started to get to know each other. So did the adults. Cheryl and I circulated and didn't see much of each other.

It was late when I finished my shower and was lying in bed. I was reading the news on my phone when the knock came. I opened the door and Cheryl was standing there.

"Come in. Anything wrong?"

"No."

She walked around the room then up to me and put her hands on my shoulders. "He isn't you." Then she kissed me. Softly at first then harder and more urgent. The last couple of times we had tried to make love were bombs and it was mostly my fault because I was most likely subconsciously thinking of CC. But since her latest exercise, my psyche was completely devoid of her and I was able to concentrate solely on Cheryl. After the first kiss she leaned back and looked at me. "Is this all right?" She asked not really certain.

All I could do was nod, put my arms around her, pull her to me and kiss her back. Then we kissed again and started tearing at each other's clothes.

I was first to be naked because all I had on were pajama bottoms and a tee shirt while Cheryl was completely dressed. I tried unbuttoning her blouse but my hands fumbled with the buttons, she smiled and slapped my hands away. She did let me push it off her shoulders and let it drift to the floor. Her skirt was next and it, too, drifted to the floor. What was left were her bra and panties.

As only women can do, her hands went behind her back and she unhooked it. That was something that always amazed me. She smiled as she brought her hands around to her front still holding the bra in place. My hands reached to cover her breasts and she dropped hers. I pulled my hands away and the bra came with them revealing two of Gods greatest creations. Hers were perfectly symmetrical to look at and unbelievably soft to the touch. Her nipples, likewise were perfect and just the right size. When they were hard, they were like pencil erasers.

I leaned down and my tongue reached out and licked her left nipple. I sensed that she shivered. Then I sucked her breast into my mouth and bit gently. Her nipple immediately became the eraser I remembered. That time not only did I sense her shiver, I felt it.

I tried to keep my mouth on her breast while at the same time she was trying to take off her panties. I stopped what I was doing so she could finish. She kicked them off and stood, stepping in to press her body against mine causing my semi-erect cock to go fully erect. She felt it, moved her hips against it and giggled.

"Is that for me?" she asked.

"If you want it."

"Oh, god, do I want it!" she said as she kissed me.

Ten seconds later we were on the bed. Ten seconds after that her legs were spread and her hand was guiding me into her.

It had been a long time between sex sessions for me but I tried to last as long as I could; which wasn't very long. It was the same for her. She had built up passion that needed to be released as well so we released both hers and mine.

Afterward she lay in my arms and we talked.

"I know this isn't the time or place," she said, "but what about your ex. Did you ever get together?"

"What do you mean by 'get together'?" I asked.

She hit my shoulder. "You know what I mean. Did you sleep with her or are you sleeping with her?"

"No, I didn't and we aren't. In fact we think she's in Texas." I paused. "How about you and the economics professor? How is he in bed?"

"I don't know. We never made it that far."

"I thought you liked him."

"I did. I do, but not like that. I thought at first it might go someplace, but....?

"But.....?"

She leaned up on one elbow, and looked at me. "I told you. He wasn't...isn't you. He's a very nice guy, but he doesn't do it to my heart."

"Do what to your heart?"

"You know what, you jerk. Make it beat faster." Then she leaned down and kissed me. Our mouths opened and our tongues played with each other while our hips started moving again. Pretty soon she was on her knees with her elbows on the mattress. I was also on my knees with one hand on my cock aiming it at her. A single shove and I was in her as far as I could go and started moving. In and out I moved. Slowly at first but steadily increasing in speed as she moved back against me. As we moved faster, the slapping sound our bodies made hitting each other got louder. Fast and louder. In and out. My hands went to her hips to hold on. Faster and faster. In and out. No sense of urgency, but a definite destination in mind for both of us. Faster and faster. In and out. Getting close now. Her body was going side to side as well as forward and back. I leaned forward. My hands going around her and grabbing two hands full of God's softness in the form of Cheryl's breasts.