Ides of March Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rob's conversation about himself went much the same way. Saturday night of that first weekend, we were so talked out and physically spent that we just cuddled and watched the Alan Alda movie, Same Time Next Year. The similarities weren't lost on either of us.

I never remarried my ex-husband. We mutually agreed that if either of us ever felt it necessary - healthcare proxies, last wills and testaments, those sorts of things - that we'd approach it together honestly. The very good news is that we're together, in love, and exclusive. We sold the old place and I moved into Rob's house.

Mark finally finished school after 7 years with his masters in Bio Chem. I keep bugging him about grandbabies. Desi has two beautiful little girls that spend a lot of time with Grandma and Grandpa. Rob has turned me on to hiking, and we've both taken up golf, with the motto, "Carts are for sissies."

In the first little while we were back together, I'd be saddened by the look on Rob's face whenever I was half an hour late coming home, but I knew he only wore it because of what I'd done in Las Vegas. I knew I had to accept that our relationship wasn't wholly new. There was some baggage. Besides, the pure joy of having him in my life everyday makes me forget our speed bumps pretty darn quickly. We spend every day, every hour we can doing all the things we want to, in our own time.

Rob has an oversized picture in his study. It's actually quite the conversation piece. The picture in the frame is of a big donut - just a silly, big 'ole plain cake donut. I think the point of that prop is to remind us that while time is linear, love is not. From about the one o'clock to the six o'clock position, and all along the right-hand side, are glued-on pictures, organized chronologically, top to bottom, of our memories together.

The words above the donut read, "Life Ain't Always Beautiful"

Below the donut they read, "But it's a Beautiful Ride"

At 12 o'clock high is a small inscription, all in lowercase, that reads, 'the day we meet each other.'

At the 11:30 position on the donut, a similar inscription reads, 'the day we meet our maker.'

There's still plenty of empty space for pics of our next great adventures between seven and eleven o'clock, and on the entire left-hand side. In the center, there's a photo of a Post-it note over the donut hole that reads "6 years, 2 months, 14 days," and serves as a reminder of what we almost lost - and of what we could still stand to lose, if we ever take our love for granted again.

Life ain't always beautiful

Sometimes it's just plain hard

Life can knock you down, it can break your heart

Life ain't always beautiful

You think you're on your way

And it's just a dead end road at the end of the day

Life ain't always beautiful

Some days I miss your smile

I get tired of walkin all these lonely miles

No, life ain't always beautiful

But I know I'll be fine

Hey, life ain't always beautiful

But it's a beautiful ride

What a beautiful ride

~ Gary Allan ~

12