I'll Handle It - 750 Words

Story Info
A couple has their own way of communicating.
762 words
2.91
11.2k
11

Part 3 of the 12 part series

Updated 03/05/2024
Created 02/01/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story was written for the 750 Word Project 2024, below this line are exactly 750 words:

I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand, then used the kitchen chair to help stand, since the rube didn't even offer his hand to help a lady up. It took him eight minutes, and my knees were feeling it. But he was busy putting himself away and zipping up. Then he just picked up his tool kit and left through the kitchen door, without even a "thank you"! Imagine that!

Of course, I didn't offer to pay for the materials. But still, I thought it was a fair deal.

Truth be told, he was rather handsome and I was considering doing it anyway. But a deal's a deal.

After brushing my teeth and gargling (some tastes don't go together), an hour later, I had a plate of cheese and crackers ready with two glasses of wine (a merlot I know he likes) ready when Charlie came home from work. Kissing him on the cheek, we sat on the couch to enjoy the wine and cheese before I'd fix dinner.

"How was your day?" my husband asked cheerfully.

"Oh, I had the plumber over to replace the disposal," I began "and he replaced the valve and flapper in the hall bathroom toilet to stop that leak."

"How much did that set us back?"

"I took care of it," I casually answered.

"What do you mean, 'you took care of it?'," he asked.

"Don't ask the question, if you don't want to hear the answer," I pointed out, then followed with a determined "... RIGHT?!" That was my 'safe word' in a discussion like this, and he knows it.

He took a deep breath and just let it out in a slow sigh, "RRiigghhtt...", and he took a healthy sip of his wine, staring out the window with that stony expression I've sometimes come to love.

It's not that I don't love my husband. He's a great father, provider, and a fantastic lover in bed. But he has his job, and I have mine. I keep everything in order in this house and manage the family budget. I have my frugal ways, sometimes making gourmet meals on a shoestring budget. And we both communicate very well. I know how much he has his heart set on our family vacation to Aruba this summer, since he promised his siblings to chip in for the surprise week-long trip for their parent's 60th anniversary. And we have to pay our own way to all be there for the family gathering.

"Now don't get mad," I started with the warning, "but I got the three estimates for that roof leak over our bedroom.... Brace yourself.... They all said the shingles are at end of life. Any patch job isn't going to stop the leaks in other parts of the roof, and we'll start seeing more within the next month or two."

"So, they're saying we need a new roof," he said dejectedly, knowing our budget probably couldn't handle it.

"Yes," I replied in an analytical tone. "The materials would cost two thousand, which we can handle, but the labor cost would wipe out our Aruba trip."

"Shit!" he exclaimed (and he rarely swears.) "I promised my brother we'd be there.

"One of the contractors, Julio, said he and his three-man crew could do it in a day, and... if you want, I can handle it.

"How much...," he began the question, and I interrupted...

"Don't ask the question if..." I started in that analytical tone.

But he closed his eyes tightly, inhaling deeply through his nose before letting out that deep sigh, interrupting me, saying "RRIIGGHHTT!"

I ducked my head a little submissively, sipping my wine.

Julio's 'alternate' quote was for materials, and an hour of my time with them for every hour they spent on the roof. He estimated six hours, plus or minus 15 percent.

I'm not that naive, so I expect them to drag it out for the 'plus 15 percent'. Seven hours at an hour every other day for two weeks. I insisted that they be out of our house each time two hours before my husband came home, and Julio agreed. So, I thought it was a reasonable deal, and I told them they could use our showers before and after.

I love my husband and his parents, there's nothing I wouldn't do for them! Besides, Julio looked rather cute.

And with my husband's 'Right!' tonight, it's 'Aruba, here we come!'