In the Vineyard Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SLC-Ohio
SLC-Ohio
64 Followers

Miles was still being cautious about what he said to Cassy.

"Thorough, bullshit! He didn't know didly about this operation, or about wine for that matter. It is painfully obvious that Todd Formby wouldn't be here if he wasn't related to someone!"

Miles gave her a slight smile, but didn't say anything. They started to walk back toward the winery. As they came close to Ana and Jimmy, Miles was relieved that Cassy's cell phone rang.

"Cassy Combs. Oh, Hi Manny. Walk from the parking lot to the vines. I don't know, ask someone". As Cassy began directing Manny, Miles took the minute to approach Ana.

"Hi," he said to her back. She turned around. Ana acted a little cool, she didn't want him to think he could invite her over, then set her aside. "Hi, yourself," she said. She couldn't help noticing how good he looked, outside with the sun emphasizing the light parts of his hair.

"Hey, thanks for helping out. I'm sorry about " he gestured toward Cassy. "I didn't have any idea. I'm glad you're here, anyway. I'll get this taken care of as soon as Brandon shows up." He directed a glance at Jimmy. Jimmy was quick to respond. "He's on his way, man. Believe me!" He grinned at Ana. "No hurry, me and Ana banana are having a good time." Miles was about to answer when Cassy came up behind him. "Miles, we can't do the cellar yet. Manny has just arrived and I must have some photos in the vineyard. " She glanced at Jimmy and Ana. "Oh, hello. Manny might want to take your photographs as well. 'The workers in the vineyard.' " She dramatically walked away, hooking Miles arm in at the last minute. He looked back at Ana, partially resigned, partially helpless. She looked away from him and toward Jimmy.

"So, what about splitting these logs?" she asked.

'Manny' Chzyrnowski unloaded his photographic gear from his car. He had, of late, been assigned to follow this bitch, the food and wine writer, who was as demanding of him as she was seductive to her subjects. He had photographed her flirtations with an Austrian Chef, a French wine merchant, and an Iranian grower of exotic produce, to name a few. Once she informed him that visit number two today was cancelled, he knew that there would be some sort of Cassy foreplay, photographic style, to follow. He checked and doubled checked his equipment, and strapped three cameras around his neck - his twenty plus year old fully manual Japanese - his state of the art fully automatic 35mm and his latest in a long line of digital cameras. He also toted a small piece of luggage on wheels - with all of his backups including a fully charged notebook computer for the purpose of unloading and/or editing the digital pics. Manny enjoyed photography, but he hated working with the bitch. In fact, so did everyone at the Messenger, he was convinced he had ended up with her because he was the newest fulltime staff photographer.

Manny rolled his carry on bag up the rise and down the hill. He had asked a couple of people where the vines were and they all gave him blank stares. He looked around, and determined that there was excess land in one direction only, and there happened to be a path leading that way. He went on through to the clearing, and immediately saw what he thought of as a great photo opportunity.

An attractive, shapely women, wearing loose jeans and a thin cotton tank top was swinging an axe of sorts into stumps of wood. And, every third hit or so, she succeeded at splitting off chunks of the wood. A short, curly haired man was acting as her coach. Manny took out old faithful, set up the aperture and light meter and started to play with the shutter speed. He angled around a little bit, and ended up with what he thought was a great picture. Ana was in action, swinging the maul, the stump not yet touched, with Jimmy framed, crouching, between the maul and the stump. Manny shot it a couple of times as the maul came down. He shot once at contact, but Ana's stroke was off and the maul bounced uselessly away. Nonetheless, Manny thought he had a good shot somewhere.

Ana barely noticed the photographer as he came out of the woods. He smiled and nodded toward her. Manny, with short, bleached white hair, multiple ear plus one nose ring, was dressed in black baggy nylon pants tucked into high black combat boots, a black cotton shirt worn loosely over a black tee. Ana noted the cameras, and, with some alarm realized that he was taking her picture. What if it was in the paper? And, god forbid, what if her parents saw this? There would be some serious explaining to do. She stopped working on the wood, and handed the maul to Jimmy who took over. As she took off her hat to wipe her forehead - she was beginning to perspire, she realized that, dressed as she was and wearing a hat, no one would recognize her from a photo. Plus, no one would be expecting to see her engaged in such an activity. She decided to leave the photographer alone.

"Manny, we're over here!" Cassy was yelling and waving.

"Bitch," muttered Manny under his breath, but loud enough for Ana and Jimmy to hear, and ambled across the clearing towards them. Cassy immediately started directing him - he really hated that, he hadn't gone to college to have some food writer tell him what made a good photograph. It wasn't that she didn't have a good eye, it was just that she had to act like everything was her idea - when he could have just as easily picked out the same shots without her. He took some pictures of bunches of grapes on the vines, Cassy told him she wanted a wide angle shot of as much of the vineyard as he could get - he told her he'd set up to do that after they were through there - he had already planned to take a few shots from the edge of the clearing, but he ideally wanted those pictures to be without people.

Cassy then started posing Miles. Miles with the refractometer - Manny liked that shot, then a series of Miles posing by the vines, and one really contrived shot of Cassy and Miles walking toward the camera, Cassy pretending to record their discussion. Manny could sense that Cassy was having great fun, but Miles was losing patience. He kept looking back toward the two figures working with wood. When the tractor started again, Miles moved to see what was happening, ruining Manny's picture.

"OK," said Manny. "Break time. I need to change film." He actually had one, maybe two pictures left, but he had a sense that he'd already gotten the best of Miles he was going to get in posed pictures. "Tell you what, dude," he said to Miles. "I'm going to take my pictures of the landscape here, then how about if I just wander around and shoot whatever. I usually get better results when we don't try to pose everything." Miles was all too happy to agree, and Cassy, also sensing Miles' boredom with this process, didn't argue.

"Back to the cellar," she said cheerily. Miles looked at his watch. It was not quite noon. He'd do a quick tour of the cellar and hope that Brandon showed up soon. They walked back toward the winery, leaving Manny behind setting his tripod. Ana and Jimmy were nowhere to be seen, Miles guessed that they were going through the storage room to get supplies for the cookout. They reached the parking lot, and Cassy headed toward her car.

"Must change my shoes," she called back to Miles. Miles noted with some amusement a much older version of the same station wagon parked next to Cassy's. It was dirtier, the body rougher, and black compared to Cassy's silver version. Miles guess it was Manny's - official company vehicle, he said to himself.

Cassy came back, wearing the teal and red pumps. "I could use a break," she said. "Too much walking, too much information." Miles nodded in understanding. Maybe Brandon would show up soon and he could take over the cellar tour, too. Cassy sat on a bench near the parking lot.

"Can I get you some water?" Miles asked. She looked at her watch. "Its almost noon. Some white wine would be nice."

"Of course," Miles said. He went up into the winery. The door was unlocked, normal opening time on Saturdays was noon. Scott, the artist, and another young woman were preparing the tasting areas and straightening up the retail stock.

"Scott, Brandon's coming in early. He should be here any minute. In fact, when you see him, tell him to find me. Oh, and there's some photographer wandering around - the wine writer from the Messenger is here."

"Cool," said Scott. "Maybe they'll want to shoot my display."

"Maybe. As far as I'm concerned, he can shoot whatever he likes as long as he stays away from me. I already spent enough time posing!" Miles went back behind the largest of the tasting bars and got into a small refrigerator underneath. He found a half full bottle of Chardonnay and sat it on the counter. "Hey, Scott. Will you input this? One half bottle reserve Chardonnay, promode for The Messenger."

Scott typed in the information in the computer which also served as the cash register. Miles picked up a couple of clean glasses out of the dishwasher, also behind the tasting bar, and sat them next to the wine. He came around from behind the bar and picked up the wine in one hand, the glasses in another. He started out the door, but saw Todd coming up the stairs to the entrance. Not wanting to get into a discussion about Cassy, Miles turned back and went out the back door, down the stairs to the cellar. He stopped by the storage room. Sure enough, there were Ana and Jimmy. Jimmy saw him first. "Miles. You brought us a drink!"

"Not exactly," Miles said. He saw a distant look on Ana's face. "Your buddy hasn't shown up, and Cassy wanted some white wine. " He was beginning to get concerned about Ana. "Jimmy, you guys can help yourselves to whatever, you know that. Just keep track of it."

"I know, man. I just wanted to harass you. I'll tell you Miles, it's a good thing that we have only one more week of cook outs. We're running low on stuff like table cloths and napkins. I guess we're not getting to the red wine stains quick enough. "

"I'll look into it. Better yet, why don't you ask Todd to do a study on this. Sounds like the kind of thing he'd have fun with." Miles stepped into the storeroom. Ana seemed intent on counting out place settings. He could tell she was feeling slighted. And, he didn't blame her - today was supposed to be a continuation of last night, an opportunity for them to continue to get to know one another. "Hey, you," he said, standing right behind her. She turned and he pressed against her until she couldn't go back any further, he back was against a set of wire shelving. Miles sat the wine and glasses down on a shelf to his side. He took her hands, and leaned into her, kissing her on the lips. She at first kept her mouth closed, but he pressed harder, and she finally relented and relaxed. Miles tongue was going all around her mouth, and his hands were climbing up her arms, rubbing the front of her. He could feel her breasts through the thin tank top. She started to feel a little dizzy, then realizing that Jimmy was in the room, she put her arms up on Miles' shoulders and pushed him lightly away. He stopped and looked at her. She was looking to see if Jimmy was watching. Miles laughed. "Don't mind him. He's harmless."

She laughed back. He was glad she wasn't angry. "I guess I started to get carried away. Sorry."

"My god, you guys are embarrassing me. My virgin eyes!" exclaimed Jimmy in mock alarm.

Miles picked up the wine and glasses. "Business before pleasure," he said. He looked intently at Ana. "I'll make this up to you, I promise. You don't know what it means to me that you came out here today."

"Yeah, sure, it gets you out of doing the work," Jimmy said.

"You're fired," said Miles.

"You can't fire me, I quit!" Jimmy responded. Ana could tell that this was an ongoing joke between the two of them, they were clearly best friends and relied on each other.

"I'll consider this your notice, then."

"That's right, I'm giving you two...years' notice." They both laughed, and Miles went out the door. Ana and Jimmy resumed gathering up the place settings and other supplies for the cook out.

"We're almost done," Jimmy said. We just stick this stuff out in the shelter house in boxes, and the staff who come in later to wait tables do all of the set up. We can load up the grill with that wood, but that's about it. Until later. We have two seatings, one at 6 and one at 7:30, Miles will start building the fire at 5:30 or so. Then he and I usually cook the steaks, and he mingles around for awhile. We clear the first crowd out around seven, actually, we try to funnel as many as possible inside to go through a full tasting. We like to do it after people eat, less chance of any driving problems, but we also give free drinks, water juice, soda, to designated drivers and kids. Then, after we clear out seating number 2, at 8:30 or so, we cook steaks for the help and for ourselves. The workers inside take turns, but they eat during the first seating, so they can be ready to run through tastings once its over. And, we have music and other entertainment in the amphitheater starting at five o'clock, for the early shows and for people who just want to come out an picnic with a bottle of wine."

Ana nodded. She had wondered what to expect, it sounded like it would be a busy evening for Miles. But there would be people around and lots of activity. And, she wasn't going to let him think that she needed to be the center of attention all of the time. After all, part of what she admired about Miles was his commitment to his work. And, based on what she just saw, he wasn't afraid to show his feelings for her in front of others.

Miles emerged from beneath the winery with the half bottle and two glasses.

"You took a while," Cassy noted.

"Sorry. I got hung up with Jimmy. Jimmy Beaumont. He's sort of my right hand man here. Some deal about table cloths for the cook out tonight."

"That's right, you do all sorts of events here. You'll have to go through that with me later on." Miles realized that Cassy was in no hurry at all to move on.

"Actually, there is some stuff I have to do before the cook out. If I had known you were coming, of course, I would have worked something out. Anyway, when Brandon gets here, Todd's brother," seeing her face, he added "total opposite of Todd. You'll like him. Everybody does. Any way, I'm gong to have Brandon spend some time with you while I take care of things."

"What about these cook outs? Is there room for Manny and I to stay? We planned on spending the day here. That would make a great wrap up to my story."

Miles tried to hide his disappointment as he poured the glasses full of wine. "Uh, I'll check." What was he going to do if she stayed around all day and this evening too? Promoting the winery was one thing, but he deserved some time to himself. Especially now that he finally met a woman he might really get serious about. No, he corrected himself, not 'might,' he was already serious about Ana. Every time he saw her, every time he was near her, he couldn't help being drawn to her, like a magnet. He was getting to the point where he couldn't imagine not being able to be with her. He cursed Todd one more time, and started to drink the wine.

Jimmy and Ana came walking out, carrying boxes of supplies over to the shelter house. They passed close by and Miles gave a soft whistle. He was past the point of caring about Cassy Combs, it sounded like no matter what he did, he would have trouble shaking her today. And, he wanted to make certain Ana knew he was aware of her. At the sound, Jimmy looked back, "Oh, you silly boy!" Miles and Jimmy laughed, and Cassy joined in. Ana didn't acknowledge the exchange, she felt uncomfortable and awkward around the immaculately dressed reporter.

Cassy finished her glass of wine and divided the rest of the bottle between hers and Miles' glasses. "its very good. More European style than California or Australia."

"That's what I try for. I think that the oaky-buttery thing has become too cliché."

"I'm frankly surprised that you make as much dry wine as you do. My impression of wineries in this state was that they made nothing but sweet wines."

"That's the impression a lot of people have. And, I do my best to overcome it."

Miles was more comfortable now, talking about his passion. Cassy noted this as well. She would get far more attention from Miles Delong if she stuck more to talking about wine and less about other things. And, now that she'd decided to sty through the evening, she was determined to get and keep as much of his attention as she could.

"Lets go to the cellar," Cassy suggested. Seeing Todd coming out the front door of the winery, Miles quickly agreed. "You can bring the glass along. We'll taste some of the works in progress." Todd barely missed running into Manny who was going up the steps, laden with cameras and rolling bag. Todd started to say something to Manny, he looked at him with disapproval, then noted the camera and guessed who it must be. He extended a hand. "Todd Formby. CEO of Creek Valley Winery." Manny took the hand and shook it. "I'm Manny Czyrnowski, from The Messenger."

"Just let me know if you need anything. I'm happy to pose." Manny knew this type, he wanted his picture in the paper, a contrast to the winemaker who, though a good subject, seemed a little annoyed by the camera. Manny figured he'd better take this picture and get it over with. "Yeah, Todd, cool. In fact, you stand right there, in front of the door. By the sign. Yeah, that's great." Manny took several quick shots. People like Todd were usually mad if they didn't run their picture, but Manny found that they were often less mad if he printed out a copy and mailed it to them. Who knows, maybe there would be room for this Todd thing. The way Cassy was acting, she wanted to make this winery alone the main piece in the mid week food and drink section. That would mean most of the cover page of the section, plus several column inches on page two or three. And, just from his limited time at the paper, he would say that Cassy often got her way. She seemed to have some in with the editor. He snorted at the thought. More than likely she was doing him. Manny thanked Todd and went inside. He saw Scott, who he recognized as an art major from college. Scott, likewise had seen Manny before.

"Hey, man, do you guys have any beer?" Manny asked.

"Nope. Just wine. Didn't you graduate last year?"

"Yeah. What's cold and wet?"

"Come on over to the bar. I'll set you up." Manny walked over to the bar and piled up his stuff. He sat on a stool, and Scott got several bottles out of the refrigerator, plus two glasses. "How did you manage a job with the Messenger?"

"Right place, right time. But, this bitch I gotta work with, she's something else."

Scott started pouring tastes for Manny, with a little shot for himself. "Cheers!" he said.

"Yeah, whatever," said Manny, taking a drink.

Todd walked down the steps from the winery just in time to see Miles and Cassy disappearing into the cellar. The overhead door came down. He started to get angry, then spotted Ana in the shelter house. Jimmy had just excused himself to call Brandon, he knew that Miles wasn't going to be happy if he couldn't pass the reporter off to someone soon. Jimmy considered volunteering to assist himself, but he decided that he was too dirty from working in the wood pile all morning. And, his dry sense of humor wasn't as attractive to people as Brandon's charm. Todd came up to the shelter house.

"Ms. Palmer, how delightful to see you." Ana was relieved that he didn't ask her why she was there, or why she was helping Jimmy set up for tonight.

"Hello, Todd." Ana was actually almost happy to see him. She was tired of the work and beginning to be bored.

"You look tired. Allow me to offer you a break, and a drink."

SLC-Ohio
SLC-Ohio
64 Followers