In the Vineyard Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SLC-Ohio
SLC-Ohio
64 Followers

"Oh, he's the hottie that I've heard about. I hope for your sake that he's a nice guy and not a jerk like Greg Romano."

Ana was surprised at this. She thought that everyone admired Greg. It occurred to her that a man like Chris, who was very physical, probably had less respect for the country club type that Greg was.

"No, Miles is no Greg." As they approached, Jimmy noticed them, waved, and jabbed Miles in the arm. Miles looked at Jimmy, annoyed, and followed Jimmy's pointing arm to Ana and her friends. He immediately stood up and walked toward them. Jimmy followed, a step behind.

"Hello," said Miles, "and welcome," he said to Chris. "We haven't met. I'm Miles Delong. And this lovely young lady must be your daughter."

"I'm Chris. And this is Alicia. She's four."

"A beauty. Sure to be a heartbreaker when she grows up."

"Like her mother," Chris said. "So, I hear that you're the new man in Ana's life. She's been a friend for a long time." Ana was surprised to hear Chris sounding so paternal, but she sensed already that he was comfortable with Miles.

"Well, maybe if I don't mess things up, someday I'll be an old married man, like yourself."

Chris laughed. He looked toward the grill. "The two of you cook all of these steaks?"

Jimmy chimed in. "Not just steaks. Chicken. Tuna. Portabello mushrooms. Lamb chops. Whatever people pick, we cook it all. Both seatings."

"Amazing," said Chris. "I can barely handle a meal for three without over doing something. And I use gas, not wood."

"You wanna try? We'll give you some lessons," offered Jimmy.

"Come on, Jimmy. The man's a paying customer," protested Miles.

"No, really," said Chris. "Sure, I'd love to help. Sounds like fun. And the girls," he gestured toward Ana and Veronica who were whispering to each other, "Can carry on with girl talk! Can you help me get them seated? And, I need a booster seat for Alicia."

"Can do," said Jimmy. "Miles, watch the fire. We'll be right back."

Miles wondered why Jimmy invited this stranger to help. But, he decided that it wasn't a bad thing to get to know Ana's friends.

As the evening went on, Miles was glad for Chris' presence. Cassy Combs was soon wandering around, without Brandon or Todd, and Manny the photographer spent as much time showing Mary Pringle how he did things as he actually did taking pictures. Whenever Cassy approached, Miles managed to find a way to explain something to Chris until the cooking was finally done. Miles realized that Chris hadn't had an opportunity to eat, and insisted he sit down. He knew now that he would be fair game for Cassy. She noticed right away when Miles was not as busy.

"How did it go?" she asked.

Miles was staring at Ana and her friends. Chris was diving into his steak with enthusiasm, Veronica was feeding Alicia spoonfuls from a piece of crème pie, Ana had finished most of her food and was cradling a glass of wine, and Mary Pringle apparently was waiting to eat at the second seating with Manny. Manny was standing behind her, fiddling with his cameras. Cassy followed Miles eyes. "That Manny, " she said. "This is a first. Usually he doesn't hit on women. In fact, I wondered if he liked women. Must be because he was drinking earlier today. Lowered his inhibitions." She leaned toward Miles. "How are yours? Inhibitions, I mean."

Miles decided that he had to say something. "Cassy. You're a nice lady, attractive, intelligent.."

"What is this, a blow off speech? Wait a minute, nothing has even happened yet."

"That's the point. Most guys, given the opportunity to spend even just a little time with you, well they'd be crazy to say no. Even me, maybe some other time. But Cassy, there is something that is happening in my life that means as much to me as this winery. Maybe will even mean more, someday. And she's sitting over there. And I am scared to death to screw it up!"

Cassy was momentarily shocked by how serious Miles sounded. Before she could speak, he went on. "If you want to slam me in the paper, go ahead. I am what I am, and this place is as good as I can make it, at least as far as it's under my control. But, I won't compromise myself or my values just to get a good write up. So, you do what you have to. "

"Miles, Miles. I didn't just stay here because I thought I had a chance to get close to you. Of course, that would be nice. And, by the way, here is my card," she reached into her purse and tucked a business card into Miles shirt pocket, "just in case you're ever desperate and dateless! Believe me Miles, I didn't get where I am by taking favors for positive write ups. Not that I don't sometimes find common ground with my subjects, after all food and wine are my interests. But, suffice it to say that Cassy's recreation and her writing are not one and the same. I like this place, and I obviously like you, and, while Brandon is incredibly charming, I could tell quickly that I wasn't his type." She looked up at Miles. "By the way, just a guess. He and that other fellow…" She gestured toward Jimmy. Miles nodded. "I thought so. They don't look like they go together, but something told me… At any rate, I respect and appreciate your interest in that young woman there. And, I hope it works out for you. But, I do hope we can still have dinner together? It appears that your friend has already eaten."

"Deal," said Miles extending his hand. "And, I'd be pleased to have further discussion about my winemaking philosophy. Now, if you'll give me a few minutes to make certain that things," he gestured toward Ana and her friends, "are taken care of."

"Of course. Take your time. I need to make some calls."

Miles walked up on the crowd as they were all laughing at something. Ana didn't notice him at first, then she gestured for him to sit by her. Miles sat and made some small talk, asking everyone how things were, all seemed to be enjoying the food and the wine.

"I like this red," said Veronica. "And I don't usually drink red. Even with steak. But I like this."

"It's a blend. Some Merlot, but a few other things. And I like to emphasize the fruit in it. That's probably why you like it. It isn't bone dry like a lot of red wines."

Miles had his arm around Ana's waist. He pulled her closer to him. She looked over at him, questioningly. "You have to do this all over again," she said.

"Yes. One more time. Then I promised Cassy Combs I'd sit and eat with her."

Ana looked surprised.

"Don't worry. I set her straight. She's not expecting anything but information she can use in the paper. I thought you could stay occupied for an hour or so – listen to music, hang with your friends. In fact, you might go on into the winery and see if Brandon is having tastings. His style is different than mine, he's more fun and less detail. And, he'll keep the little one entertained, too.

Chris and Vern thought that a tasting sounded like fun, so Ana agreed to go along. Sure enough, Brandon was filling up the seats at one of the bars and he immediately started making balloon animals and handing them to Alicia, one after another.

"Bunny," he said. "Doggie." Alicia cooed at each new creation. After a few minutes, the bar area was full and a few other people crowded around behind the chairs. "All set?" asked Brandon. He started by passing glasses around. "I need an assistant. Will you do me the honors?" he asked Ana. "I'm Brandon Formby. I've heard all about you, but we've never been introduced."

"Ana Palmer. Nice to finally meet you. I've heard lots of positive things."

"Lies, all lies. Don't believe any of it!" He was laughing. Brandon launched into his pitch and Ana sound found that her job as assistant was to move among the crowd, pouring a small amount of wine in each glass. Brandon's style was much looser, more informal than Miles. When he heard comments about the wines, he often took a sip himself, to see if he agreed or disagreed. "Yes, you're right," he would say. "I do taste peaches." Or, "No, this wasn't oaked. Its what is known as 'tannin' that you're tasting." Then he would explain why each flavor was or wasn't perceptible. Brandon also slipped in every flirtatious remark he could – directed especially toward older women, who became giggly and girlish at his attention. He made an effort to involve each and every person, and there was little opportunity for anyone to become bored.

Ana was surprised to see Miles and Cassy entering the winery while the tasting was still going on. The time had gone by much faster than she realized. Miles saw that she was helping Brandon. He stood back, watching, still conversing with Cassy. She had her recorder going on, and occasionally directed a question to Miles.

The tasting finally wrapped up, and Miles was pleased to see the participants for the most part purchased wines to go. A few case sales were made, including one to Chris and Veronica. Brandon picked up the glasses and wiped off the bar, ready to start over. A few people were already milling around and started to take the bar chairs. Miles and Cassy approached and she took a seat.

"It's the lovely Cassy Combs!" said Brandon. "Are you going to honor me by participating in one of my little performances here?"

"Looks like you get the crowd eating out of your hand, Brandon. Oh, Miles, can you go find Manny and send him up here. I do think that pictures would be nice!"

Miles agreed. He noticed that Ana, and her friends went out through the door just a minute ago. He found them all back at the shelter house with Mary and Manny.

"We're ready. Have to get the little one home," Vern was saying to Mary.

"Ok. No prob. I'll see you later, Manny. Call me or email me."

"Great!" said Manny. "I'd love to take you to see that exhibition I told you about. Maybe tomorrow evening."

"Call me," said Mary, smiling. They all said their good byes to Ana and to Miles, thanking him for a nice evening. Miles let Manny know he was wanted inside. "The bitch calls," was Manny's comment, and he started slowly toward the winery.

"Alone at last," said Miles. Ana nodded. The shelter house was empty, the rest of the crowd at the winery were gathered in the amphitheater, the deck area or seated on the various benches around the path. Miles stood up. "Wait here." He walked toward the grill. He picked up a box at the far end, and carried it back to Ana. She was seated at one of the picnic tables and he sat across from her. He started pulling items out of the box, a thick candle in a holder, which he sat between them and lit, two clean glasses and a small bottle of wine. "Late harvest," he said. "For dessert." He looked at her and could see the candle flame reflected in her eyes. "Although I'm looking forward to more dessert, Ms." Miles opened the wine and poured a small measure in each glass. He lifted his and said "To a beautiful woman. On a beautiful night. May this be one of many to follow." Ana clinked her glass to his. Then a flash of light hit her eyes.

"Great shot!" It was Manny. "I hope I had the flash going the right direction. I wanted to get the candle." He turned and went on toward the winery. He stopped again. "Later, guy," he said to Miles. "Oh, and your friend is really cool. You can tell her I said so."

"I'll be sure to," said Ana. She drank the sweet thick wine. "You know, that old wine I bought, it has something of this taste."

"I thought so, too," said Miles. "That's why I opened this. But, you know, it isn't quite the same. It doesn't have the sugar, although it has a wide, rich flavor. When I get some time, I'm going to try to do some research, figure out what it is."

"We'll have to go there. To the place where I bought it," said Ana. She realized that Miles was becoming a part of her thoughts, her plans. But what was going to happen? She couldn't see herself living here at the winery, and she knew he wouldn't want to move in with her – it was too far away. And, what about his plans to start his own winery – where would that lead them? Certainly not back to the city, more likely somewhere else in the state. One thing for sure, thoughts of job and career had been entirely absent these last days. She was content in a strange way she'd never experienced. Just go with it, she told herself. But one nagging thought remained 'he's married.' How could anything happen while Miles was still married?

Miles watched Ana's eyes moving and knew she was deep in thought. He wondered but didn't want to ask. He was enjoying this moment so much, feeling alone with her, in the cool crisp air, tasting the sweet wine, and full of anticipation for the night before them. He felt like he should say something, but didn't know what so he just waited. Ana finally broke the silence.

"It seemed to be a good evening. For business, I mean."

"Yes. We had a good crowd, and I think that we did a lot of sales to go. And, Scott is working tonight, he is good at keeping track. I don't know if you heard, but we're having some problem with missing stock."

"Jimmy told me."

"I can't figure it out, and Todd is driving me crazy about it. But it's not really extreme enough to be a problem for us. Maybe 20 cases in all. I mean, you hate to lose anything, but it's not going to ruin our year. But, I don't want to think about that now. Here I am, alone with the woman of my dreams, about to spend the night with her…I can think of better things than a few missing cases of wine!" He paused, considering a thought. "I did want to say, though, I happened to overhear some of your conversation with Todd today."

"You were spying on me?" Ana had an edge in her voice.

"No, no. I just saw you up there and I started out the door. " He frowned. "Maybe this will make you mad, but I thought you might need rescuing. I don't trust Todd. But, what I wanted to say was, I heard some of it, and I can see that you don't need rescuing. And I wanted to thank you. I guess for having the guts to take my side. I mean, its one thing for us to be with each other, but I worry about the rest of the world." He watched her to see if she was reacting. He couldn't read anything. "I don't mean Todd, I could give a rat's ass about Todd Formby. But, he's not the only one who will talk, and I don't want to be in a position where other people cause problems for us."

Ana was getting a little angry. "First of all, you're right, I don't need rescuing. Not by you, or by anyone. And, I don't need other people to tell me what to think. I'm perfectly capable of making my own judgments. And, last, if you think that I'm that weak and…hollow, then I'd say that you haven't bothered to get to know much about me, other than maybe my body parts, at all!" She started to stand up. Miles took her hand.

"No, please Ana. Please. Please, please, don't get mad. Please sit."

She did, but wouldn't look him in the face.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it the way it sounded. I have a way of putting my foot in my mouth with you, don't I? I guess I'm just out of practice. I haven't fallen in love for a long time. Maybe never. Will you forgive me?"

She looked at him, with a sharp reply ready, then saw the pain in his eyes. He looked almost ready to cry. She suddenly felt guilty for being so defensive.

"Miles, I'm sorry too. Forgive me?"

"Nothing to forgive. I'll try not to act like such a jerk. It's just, well, I can't stand the thought of anything happening to take you away from me."

"Miles, I don't know what will happen. But I can tell you this, honestly. Right now I can't imagine not being with you. I don't mean for a few hours, or a day, or so, but I can't imagine me just going back home and you just staying here. But, I don't know what to do about it." He could hear the worry in her voice.

"Ana, for now, we'll just do what we've done. I'll come see you , you can come see me other times. Its not like we're on two different sides of the country. Only about an hour. Maybe I'm being forward, but I don't want to spend a night away from you. And, if that means I show up at your door at ten or eleven, and leave at six a.m., that's what I'll do. I will do whatever it takes to be with you, and to make this work." He stood up and walked around to her side of the picnic table. He sat beside her, wrapping his arms around her. He leaned close to her ear. "As long as you'll have me, I'm yours. And, I may leave, but I'll always be back. Always!"

The winery was open until midnight, but Miles told Ana he didn't want to stay around that long. "It was an early morning, and I, I mean we have things to do tomorrow. And tonight," he said, biting her on the ear. "I'll do a final check, then in the for night. If you want to go on ahead?" Ana felt a thrill from the warmth of Miles breathing in her ear. The bite was a surprise and she started a little. Embarrassed by shaking, she said, "Yes, I will. I'm getting a little chilled." Miles gave her the key. They walked together to the winery steps, Miles kissed Ana lightly. He stopped for a second.

"I won't deny that I like your body parts. And, I look forward to seeing them. But, Ana, know this. If there wasn't this person inside that body, I wouldn't feel the same way. It's the whole package I'm crazy for." He started to turn, then stopped again. "Leave a light on for me!"

He smile, then turned, going up the steps to the winery.. She walked on around to the door of his living space. She opened the door, and started to imagine what she would do if she lived there. If they were going to go back and forth, she decided, she should keep some things here, and Miles would need to have some things in her condo. That wouldn't be so bad, and it wasn't exactly the same as moving in together. She would have time to slowly prepare her parents. Who knows, maybe they'd like Miles. Her friends all seemed to, that was a plus. Then she remembered that she told her mother she might come up to the lake tomorrow. That was clearly out of the question, now. She'd have to call tomorrow. She remembered what Manny had said about the paper – the story on the winery was supposed to run on Wednesday. Maybe that would impress her parents. It was certain to paint a favorable picture of Miles and the success of the place. But, somehow she knew that there would be problems over Greg. Not the time or place to think about that, she decided.

Deciding that all was well and in capable hands – the crowds were winding down and Brandon and Jimmy would stay to close – Miles went down the path toward his living area. He hummed a little to himself as he walked along, an old show tune about finding your true love.

"Miles."

He turned around to see Cassy. He was surprised before not to find her in the winery, but assumed she had gone onto her room in town. He could tell by her sway that she was feeling no pain.

"Hello, Cassy," he said, trying to sound casual. "I'm just going to bed."

"Perfect!" She said. She took his arm. "I'll just join you."

"Cassy," he said, extracting his arm. "I already, I mean, I won't be alone."

"That's ok," she said. "Two women, one man. Isn't that every man's fantasy?"

Think fast, said Miles to himself. How am I going to handle this gracefully? "Uh, where's Manny?"

"Oh, Manny. Already gone back to his room. Said he had a big day tomorrow. That blond, you know." She drew close to Miles. "You know, I never thought he liked women. He never acted like he liked me at all. I just thought he must be, you know, well, you know, not into women."

"Yes. You told me."

"I did? Well, I'll be damned. Well, that settles it," she said, grabbing his hand. "If I'm repeating myself, its time for bed."

Miles noticed that it seemed suddenly quiet, and Cassy's voice was carrying. He realized that the music had stopped – while the winery stayed open until midnight, the bands generally stopped before that time. Groups of people started walking out of the amphitheater, some wandering back into the winery, others going toward the parking lot. Miles felt very obvious.

SLC-Ohio
SLC-Ohio
64 Followers