Is Enough Really Enough? My Tale

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
fdkman262
fdkman262
259 Followers

"I guess I'm more of an ogre than I thought if you feel that way. I've never stopped loving you Dee. I'm just not in love with you. I hope we can start a new relationship, as good friends."

"I appreciate your sentiments, Arch, and though my actions don't agree with my feelings, I've never stopped loving you either. I want to start a new relationship with you too, as very good friends." She saw that Arch had wine already poured before she'd arrived so she picked up her glass to propose a toast, "To good friends!"

Arch raised his glass and smiled as well, "To good friends!" They clinked glasses, took a sip of wine and picking up their menus settled in to conversation. Even though they hadn't spoken to each other in three years conversation soon settled in to an enjoyable give and take like they'd had before all the trouble in their marriage.

All too soon the dinner and dessert was finished and it was time to go home. Arch pulled out Dee's chair and took her hand.

"I had a really nice time Dee. I was pretty scared I'll tell you. I thought for sure tonight would be awkward, and it was for a while, but once we settled in it was almost like old times. May I walk you to your car?"

Dee smiled and squeezed Arch's hand before she released it. "Why thank you kind sir. I was concerned about how the evening would go too but I had to try and I'm very glad I did. Thanks for the offer of friendship, Arch, it is an offer I'll always cherish, as I will your friendship."

Arch walked Dee to her car and waited until she had started the motor then he turned to walk to his own vehicle thinking that the evening had turned out OK.

*****

Arch sat in his chair at the board meeting staring off into space. Mr. Joseph, Joe, Brambly, the CFO, was retiring and he was talking about his years at the medical center. While Arch really liked Joe he was always a bit of a talker and he'd really hit his stride today. He was going on and on about his career and all the wonderful people he'd worked with. He had just reached the 1960's and Arch was bored to tears. Sucking it up like a man he tried as hard as he could to pay attention and, thanks to the CEO, Joe sped up his stroll down memory lane wrapping it up in record time. Everyone gave Joe a well deserved thank you for everything he had done for them and he sat down to a standing ovation from his peers.

The remaining item on the agenda was the introduction of Joe's replacement. While Arch had been involved in the initial interviews, the second and third interviews for the candidates as well, he was unaware of the final choice. The CEO, Bill Corrigan, had wanted to keep that part of the process for himself after he had reviewed his staff member's recommendations. The three candidates all had outstanding qualifications; one had even been the CFO for a smaller regional health center in the state. Based on his evaluations of the individuals he had no qualms about any of them so he was not concerned about Bill's choice. If he were asked his personal opinion though he'd vote for the only female of the group, Elizabeth Canne.

Elizabeth's qualifications were as good as the other applicants and she interviewed well, exuding confidence in herself and her abilities. She had some really novel ideas for cost containment which is always a point of contention in the health care industry. What really made Arch hope she'd be the new CFO though was her intelligence. She had a quick wit that came out after their last formal interview when they were chatting before her next appointment. Arch hadn't enjoyed a conversation with a woman so much in years. Of course it didn't hurt that Elizabeth was attractive in an understated way.

She appeared to be about his age, between 45 and 50 he'd guessed, with dark black hair. Based on the few gray hairs sprinkled throughout it looked like the color was wholly natural, a rarity for a woman of her years. She was quite tall, an inch or two shorter than him in her heels, with an average but curvy figure. It was her smile that really caught his attention though. She smiled easily and frequently but never did she seem frivolous. She seemed, at least to Arch, that she'd be an excellent choice for their current team.

Arch's thoughts were interrupted by Bill making the announcement all of them had been waiting for.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to thank you all for your input in helping me come to a decision on Joe's replacement. I'd also like to thank Joe again for his kind offer to stay for another month and also to be available for consultation for three months to help his successor become comfortable with their new role." A smattering of applause was gratefully acknowledged by Joe before Bill, continued.

"While it was a difficult decision to choose Joe's replacement it was not because of your efforts. It was strictly due to the quality of the candidates, I didn't want to reject any of them, however a choice had to be made. So without further ado, may I introduce our new CFO, Elizabeth Canne."

Elizabeth had been waiting in the connecting office for her cue and as she walked in she surveyed the scene. She'd really wanted to get this position, had worked hard to get it, and now she was ready to take on the challenge she knew she was up to. She'd also wanted to work at the center city medical center for years. Their reputation as one of the premiere facilities in the state was well known. It had a reputation of employing the best in the business and she, in her opinion, was the best so she knew she'd able to make a difference here.

On a personal note, if she were honest with herself, she was also happy to be working with Arch Meader. Of all the people who'd interviewed her she'd enjoyed that interview the best. Besides that she found him to be a very attractive man, quick witted and very pleasant to talk to. Oh yes, she was going to enjoy this job very much.

"Thanks Bill, I want to say that I appreciate you choosing me to be your new CFO and I look forward to working with Joe and gleaning all the knowledge I can from him." Looking directly at Joe she continued. "Joe, I want to thank you in advance for your time and I promise to pick your brain so hard you'll have a headache when we're done!"

Joe and the rest of the staff chuckled at her statement. She then took the chair Bill motioned her to and settled in.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to remind you that Joe's retirement party is Friday evening at the Hilton, 8 PM. It is formal of course, so get out your best clothes and be ready for an evening of dining and dancing. This meeting is adjourned."

Bill's staff started to file out of the room taking the time to shake hands with and congratulate Elizabeth on her new position. Arch hung back so that he was the next to last to leave.

"Congratulations Elizabeth! Welcome to the team. I really look forward to working with you. Please feel free to pick my brain as well, my door is always open."

"Thanks, Arch, I'll do that. I'm sure we'll be working closely together in the future and I look forward to it." She smiled and looked Arch in the eye as she said it.

"I do too, Elizabeth." Arch shifted nervously but plunged ahead, "If you don't think I'm being too forward would it be OK if I escorted you to the retirement party? You being new in town and all..."

'Wow, he doesn't waste any time does he?' Elizabeth thought. 'If it were anyone else I'd probably say no, but I've got a good feeling about Arch. I wouldn't mind seeing what he has planned.'

"Thank you, Arch, I'd be delighted. I haven't had much chance to get my bearings so your offer is much appreciated."

"Great, we can firm up plans later this week. I'm sorry but I've got a meeting to get to, I'll talk to you later." With that Arch left the room leaving Elizabeth and Joe alone.

"Arch is a great guy. He'll be a lot of help to you in the future. Why don't we head to my office, pardon me, YOUR office, and we can meet the staff."

Elizabeth smiled and patted Joe's arm. "Joe, it's still your office and your staff and I don't want you to think differently. I really am looking forward to working with you in the next few weeks. You have a great reputation in our field and I want to do everything I can to learn what you know so I can improve myself."

"You just do everything you can to make this medical center the best it can be and do it honestly and you'll succeed. That's what I've always done and it's served me well as I'm sure it will you too."

With that they made their way to Joe's office and her first meeting with her new staff.

*****

The retirement party was a rousing success. Joe and his wife enjoyed the attention and accolades of his colleagues throughout the evening and there wasn't a dry eye in the house when Joe thanked everyone for all the great years they had shared. Thanks to his investments, Joe and his wife were leaving the next month on a world cruise, something they had planned to do for years, though he'd be available when he returned for consultation if Elizabeth should need it, which Joe didn't think would be the case.

In the week they had worked together she had taken to the job like no one he'd ever known and he had plans to start pulling back and letting her take the lead starting Monday. This was going to be an easy transition and he made sure Bill knew it. Bill seemed pleased with that information and had commented that his instincts had never led him astray before.

Bill noticed that his new CFO and his COO were getting along well. He'd seen them talking and laughing easily throughout the evening. He'd seen them dancing together as well though Elizabeth danced with others of his team as had Arch. It was nice to see his staff interact well together in a social setting like this.

He also wasn't a fool, however. He could see a beginning of a spark between Elizabeth and Arch. Elizabeth was an attractive woman that any man would be proud to know. Arch was a handsome man, that much was obvious as well, and they made a nice couple. If the truth were known he was pleased to see Arch as happy as he seemed to be this evening. Ever since his divorce Arch had been a subdued man.

He hadn't been the same Arch he'd known since the divorce. He'd been a man closed off from his fellow man, reluctant to interact with others outside of a business setting. Instead of socializing Arch had taken to working more and more, though that had finally changed recently. Bill had even tried to get Arch interested in social activities by making sure there were eligible ladies in attendance when he had company functions but no one seemed to capture Arch's interest. Then, five or six months ago, Arch seemed to shake himself out of his stupor and was slowly getting back to his old self. Some judicious investigation had yielded the information that Arch and his ex-wife had settled their differences and had agreed to be friends again. While he, like Arch's other friends, had hoped that Arch and Dee would reconcile that wasn't going to happen. While Bill had a good idea why that was he never pressed the issue and as such was pleased that the two had settled on friendship rather than the impasse they had lived under for the last three years.

While he wasn't sure if Elizabeth would be the best person for Arch, he wouldn't know that for a long time since he would need to know her much better to make that decision, it was satisfying to see Arch take any kind of interest in a woman. He'd have to keep an eye on this budding romance to make sure that if things went south it wouldn't affect his team, he'd hate to lose one or both of them because they could no longer work together. However, it was way too soon for those kinds of concerns, after all escorting a woman to a party and a few dances did not a romance make.

*****

Elizabeth smiled at her escort as they approached her apartment. "Thanks for escorting me to the party tonight, Arch. I had a very nice time, you're a good dancer."

"Thanks, Elizabeth, you are too. You really made a hit with your peers tonight. I kept hearing good things about you from everyone. You sure didn't act like the new kid on the block." Arch smiled.

"I don't know what it is but I feel so comfortable here, with my staff and the other members of Bill's staff. It seems like we've worked together for years. The husbands and wives of the other officers are so kind and helpful too, it's almost like you're one big family."

"Bill likes to foster that kind of attitude and he picks his people very carefully to fit that mold. I think it makes for a much better work environment. That doesn't mean that Bill can't crack down when he feels the need but I think he feels the need less than a lot of CEOs because of his care in choosing people." Arch noticed that they had arrived at her door and stepped back a bit. "Well, here we are, thanks for allowing me to escort you tonight, Elizabeth. I'll see you Monday."

Elizabeth put her key in the lock and opened the door slightly. "No, Arch, thank you. I enjoyed myself very much and I enjoyed your company. See you Monday!" With that she stepped into her apartment, closing her door.

*****

Months went by and Elizabeth settled into her role as CFO as easily as Joe had predicted. She was able to build on Joe's base and improve upon it, making many policy changes that increased the profits of the corporation while maintaining the high standards the company had become known for.

Elizabeth and Arch became friends over this period as well due to their close working relationship. They would lunch together a couple of times a week and have dinner together after a long after hour's session. Arch and Elizabeth would talk mostly about work related topics during these times but, as with a lot of people in their situation, personal information slowly worked its way into their conversations. He found out she had been divorced for 10 years now and Arch volunteered his divorced status at 3, almost 4 years. Arch was surprised to find out that Elizabeth had no children, her husband hadn't wanted any, and while he mentioned he had no children he didn't elaborate.

As Arch had discerned during her interviews, they did have a lot of things on common. He found himself feeling very comfortable in her presence. He didn't think he was in love with her, not like he'd loved Dee when they first met, surely, but he was very happy to be with her and looked forward to seeing her when they were apart.

Elizabeth, on the other hand wondered what was holding Arch back. He seemed to be happy with her and enjoyed her company immensely, as she did his, but he never took it to the next level. They didn't have dates, they had get-togethers as friends. At first she thought he might be reluctant to date a colleague on the off chance that should things not work out it might affect their job performance. She wondered if there might not be an anti-fraternization rule for company officers. She went so far as to check with the Human Resources director, who assured her that no such policy existed.

After a while, through talking to her peers, she found out that Dr. Bernie Green was as close to Arch as anyone, and as such would be the person to ask to gain insight into Arch's situation. One day she saw Bernie in the cafeteria and, noticing he was alone, she made her way to his table.

"Dr. Green, may I sit down?" Elizabeth said.

Bernie Green looked up to see the tall brunette he'd seen with his friend Arch standing at his table. He stood and motioned to the empty chair.

"Please join me Ms. Canne. I don't think I've had the pleasure."

"I see you know who I am, I'm flattered."

"Ms. Canne, your reputation precedes you. Everyone has been talking about the new CFO and her innovative ideas!"

Elizabeth smiled shyly. "Please, call me Elizabeth. I had no idea my fame was so widespread. I'm very pleased to hear it though. I love being recognized for my efforts. I hope I don't sound too self absorbed."

"No, and please call me Bernie. To paraphrase Walter Brennan in an old TV show, 'no brag, just fact.' You have a lot to be proud of Elizabeth and you deserve the praise if my opinion means anything."

"I remember Walter Brennan, but I don't think I ever saw that show. I appreciate your sentiment Bernie. Everyone here is so nice and you uphold the tradition."

Bernie knew there was more to this meeting than a mutual admiration society and he decided to cut to the chase. "While it's been fun to heap praise on each other like this I have the feeling you wanted to talk about something else, am I right, Elizabeth?"

Elizabeth had the grace to look embarrassed. "Was I that obvious, Bernie? I did want to talk to you about something, someone actually. Arch Meader. I've heard you are the best friend he has around here so I was wondering if you could give me some insight."

"I'll do what I can but some things I can't talk about due to doctor / patient confidentiality."

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow at this information. "Arch was a patient?"

"No, his ex-wife, Dee. But I have the feeling that what you want to know may involve information that could include Dee and I can't talk about specifics in that area."

"I understand completely, Bernie. Since you know why I'm here and what I'm interested in, I'll just plunge ahead. I like Arch but he seems to be holding back. We're good friends, at least I think so, but I'd like to be more than friends and he's... not reluctant, but not picking up on my signals to move forward. Could you shed some light on this?"

Bernie paused to digest Elizabeth's comments. He had to tread lightly here. While he wanted Arch to find someone new, since a reconciliation with Dee was out of the question, he didn't want to be telling tales out of school so to speak.

"I'm sorry if I seem reluctant to answer, Elizabeth, but this is a touchy subject. Arch is one of my best friends, but so is his ex-wife. I don't want to hurt either of them and what you want to know is, or could be, hurtful in the wrong context. Before we go further, I want you to promise me that nothing we talk about today will be repeated to ANYONE, even to Arch."

Elizabeth reached over and patted Bernie's arm in a gesture of solidarity. "I understand completely, Bernie and I'll never divulge anything you tell me in confidence. I'd appreciate any insights you can give me, of course, but I don't want you to be uncomfortable either. If you need to leave things out it's no problem."

"OK then, I believe Arch is reluctant to become too involved, with any woman, not just you, because he still has feelings for his ex-wife that he can't put behind him. He's not in love with her, he's told me that personally, but they were married 20 years and he really loved her and those kinds of feelings take time to get over. There were some problems in the marriage that precipitated the divorce but the trigger came on so suddenly that Arch didn't have time to get used to the idea of not being married to Dee. For the first three years after the divorce he was a workaholic, shutting himself off from all social activities that he could. It was only recently, in the last six months or so, shortly before you joined the company, that Arch and Dee actually talked to each other. They have agreed to be friends and for the most part that is working out well, for both of them. So if you think of it in those terms Arch has only been 'divorced' for the last six months and he's probably not ready, or even looking for, another relationship."

"I see, that certainly clears up some of the confusion I've had. Arch's actions make much more sense now. When he'd mentioned that he'd been divorced for almost 4 years I assumed that he would be over it, or at least mostly over it, by now. He must have really loved his ex, huh?"

"Yes, he did. They were one of the happiest couples I've ever known for the first eight years of their marriage. The problems started slowly and Arch, who believes in the sanctity of marriage, wouldn't give up on it. For the next 12 years there were ups and downs, more than in a lot of marriages, but Arch stood firm and worked to make the marriage better. I don't mean to sound like this was all Dee's fault, she had and has issues that I can't get into, but Arch loved Dee so much that he accepted a lot of things so his marriage could survive. As I said before, then came the trigger that, according to Arch, he couldn't accept and they divorced. So the bottom line is, he still loves her, but he's not 'in love' with her. They seem to be good friends now and given the circumstances that is great progress for them."

fdkman262
fdkman262
259 Followers