Is Enough Really Enough? My Tale

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
fdkman262
fdkman262
260 Followers

Elizabeth processed what she'd been told. Arch's actions, or inactions more to the point, made a lot more sense. Bernie had eased her mind on a number of issues, the biggest of which was her feeling that Arch wasn't interested in her as more than a friend. She wasn't sure he was but at least now she knew that Arch was probably reluctant to seek out a new romantic relationship while he was still dealing with his divorce. Since she'd been divorced for over 10 years and having no interest in any other guys she'd met she decided to give Arch the time he needed and see how things went.

"Thanks for the information, Bernie. I really appreciate it. I want you to know that I won't say anything to anyone about our conversation and I want you to know that you have eased my mind with respect to Arch. If you don't mind, I'd like to have lunch with you again, not to pick your brain about Arch, but as a thank you for what you've done today. I'll buy!"

Bernie smiled widely. "You're on Elizabeth! I may be a married man but I can't turn down lunch offered by a beautiful woman."

*****

Weeks turned into months and Arch and Elizabeth grew closer as friends. Arch asked Elizabeth to accompany him to so many company functions such that his colleagues assumed that they were a couple. It was at one of these events, the company picnic, that Bill said something that got Arch thinking.

"So Arch, how are things progressing with you and Elizabeth. You don't know how happy I am to see you interested in someone after all this time."

Arch wondered what Bill was talking about and his confused expression prompted Bill to elaborate.

"Come on Arch, it isn't a secret. We all know you're sweet on Elizabeth. I think it's wonderful. You make a lovely couple!"

"Bill, I think you have misinterpreted things. Elizabeth and I are good friends, nothing more."

"Arch, this is me you're talking to. I see how you act around her. Even now you know exactly where she is and when your eyes connect your faces light up. I've seen how she looks at you when you're not aware of it. And whether you want to admit it, you have that look too, though maybe to a lesser degree. You make a lovely couple and I hope things work out for you. Look, we'll talk more later. I'm needed at the dunk tank, it's my turn in the box!"

'Is he right?' Arch thought. 'Do I really do that?' To test the theory he scanned the area to find Elizabeth, though he seemed to have a feeling of where she would be. Finding her he watched until he caught her eye and, as Bill had said, Elizabeth's face did light up. The smile that she wore was more intense than it had been when she was talking to her friend. If he were honest with himself he felt the corners of his mouth rise as well and his heart swelled at her attention. 'My God, Bill's right! I do react to her as she does to me. Boy, I must be the biggest dope in the world. If Bill is to be believed, and I have no reason not to do so, everybody thinks we're a couple but me. I wonder how long Elizabeth was going to let me muddle along before she said something.'

Not one to put off until tomorrow what needed to be done today Arch decided to talk to Elizabeth about her feelings, and his. He made his way over to where she was talking to one of her staff members, a pretty young girl who Elizabeth was mentoring.

"Hello ladies. Joy, are you enjoying the picnic?"

"Oh yes, Arch. Elizabeth and I were just saying how much fun we were having. We're going to enter the three-legged race later today."

"I'll be sure to be there to root you on to victory then." Arch turned to face Elizabeth. "Elizabeth, could I speak to you in private, please?"

Elizabeth excused herself from Joy and together they walked to the picnic area and sat down at a table far away from the crowd.

Elizabeth was concerned about what Arch might want to talk about. He seemed pretty serious. "Is anything wrong, Arch?"

"No, nothing is wrong Elizabeth. Bill and I were talking and he brought something to my attention. I don't know how to say this but it seems as if I've been kind of clueless where you and I are concerned."

"Clueless, how do you mean, Arch?"

"Well, he congratulated us on being a couple and I didn't know what he meant. He went on citing examples that led him to his conclusion and after we talked I checked out something he said and darned if he wasn't right."

Elizabeth wondered where this was leading but she hoped it was where she wanted it to go. "What did he say?"

"He said that you and I have this look when we see the other and how we know, instinctively almost, where the other is when we're not together. I decided to see if he was right and he was. I didn't know exactly where you were on the grounds but I found you pretty quickly because I almost 'sensed' where you were. Then when our eyes met your face changed. Your smile grew wider and your eyes sparkled. I felt my smile get wider too and I felt a warmth in my chest at the contact." Arch paused and grasped her hand before continuing. "Elizabeth, am I right? Do you care for me as much as I seem to care for you, even if I was too thick headed to realize it?"

Elizabeth's heart melted at the look of love and admiration in Arch's eyes. It would seem the time had come for Arch to accept that he had feelings for her. She'd have to thank Bill later for the nudge that made this happen.

"Yes, Arch, I do care for you very much. I've been waiting for you to realize it too and I'm very glad that it has finally happened. I didn't feel the need to pressure you into something because I wanted to get to know you better as a friend first. As we grew closer I could sense us developing as a couple even if we didn't acknowledge it. It has just sort of happened, gradually, and I've been patiently waiting for you to catch up."

"The man is always the last to know, huh? In this case I guess that's not a bad thing. So what's next? I suppose a real date would be in order. How about dinner, tomorrow night, with dancing afterwards? How does that sound?"

Elizabeth smiled happily. "That would be wonderful. 7:30 OK for you? I need to get a new dress!"

"That works for me, now how about we head over to the playing field and get you ready for that race?"

*****

Arch sat in his den contemplating his upcoming date. He was really looking forward to this evening. It was amazing how easily he'd accepted the situation considering that it was only yesterday that he saw Elizabeth as a very good friend and nothing more. How could he have missed the feelings that seemed so obvious now? Was he so numb that he could become attracted to a woman as lovely as Elizabeth, subconsciously? According to Bill he'd been acting like part of a couple, even though he hadn't realized it, for quite some time. Maybe Elizabeth had snuck under his radar so subtly that any resistance he might have felt was ignored. If someone had asked him yesterday if he was looking for a relationship he'd have said, confidently, no, he was not. He was happy with his situation and didn't feel the need for romance. He had wonderful friends at work, male and female, and he now had a cordial relationship with his ex-wife and he felt no pressing need for more.

Now that he'd thought about it he did want more. He had felt that there was something special about Elizabeth since their first meeting when she was interviewing for her position, though he hadn't admitted it at the time. There was no one thing that drew him to her; it was the complete package that was Elizabeth that attracted him. They had grown to be great friends and now that the romantic angle was included to their relationship he could see what a help that could be to him. He didn't have to wonder what she liked, he knew because they'd told each other of their likes and dislikes. He didn't have to worry that tonight would be a nerve filled evening of feeling each other out on safe topics of conversation since they'd already covered those topics and some unsafe ones as well and they had enjoyed the discussion, even though they didn't always agree with each other.

He knew that he wanted to be with her when they were apart and that he was happier than he'd been in a long time when they were together. No, tonight would not be as awkward as a typical first date would be, especially for a man his age. He hadn't dated in over 20 years and normally that thought would terrify him, but it didn't since he was going out with his friend and he was comfortable with her.

What did concern him though were the physical aspects of a relationship. He hadn't kissed another woman since before his marriage. It wasn't the technical aspect of kissing that worried him; it was the fear of disappointing her due to inexperience. He truly hoped it would be like riding a bike and it would all come back to him. Since Elizabeth had been waiting for him to come around he planned he follow her lead, for the most part, and take clues from her as to what she wanted him to do. One thing he did know was that he wasn't ready for physical intimacy with her. Baby steps would be needed to make him comfortable. He also didn't think Elizabeth would want to jump into bed on the first date either, it wasn't her style, so he dismissed that idea as something to consider for some time in the future.

*****

Arch pulled up in front of Elizabeth's condo at 7:25 PM. He checked his tie in the mirror and finding it straight he exited the car and made his way to her door. He took a deep breath and checked the flowers in his hand again before ringing the bell. Seconds later the door opened and the vision that greeted him took his breath away.

Elizabeth had her hair pulled back and swept up behind her ear in a style he'd never seen her wear but one he hoped to see more often. Next he noticed her dress, the stereotypical 'little black dress' but this one hugged every curve like a lover and ended a few inches above her knees. She wore a simple pearl necklace with matching earrings and bracelet to finish off the ensemble, and of course shiny black high heels. In short she was a vision of loveliness.

Realizing he was probably staring he extending the bouquet of flowers to her before he spoke. "Wow, Elizabeth, you look wonderful. Here, these are for you."

Elizabeth had been using the time to check out Arch as well and she was pleased she could have the kind of reaction on him that she did. She'd put a lot of work into looking the way she did tonight and it seemed that she had succeeded admirably.

"You look very nice yourself, Arch, I love that suit. And these flowers are beautiful! Please, come in while I get a vase to put them in."

She escorted him to her living room and motioned for him to be seated on the couch. Seeing that he was comfortable she quickly grabbed a vase from the kitchen cabinet, filled it with water and arranged the flowers in it before returning to set the vase on the coffee table in front of Arch.

When she returned to the room Arch stood and metaphorically pinched himself. He still couldn't believe that this beautiful creature was the same woman he worked with every day. That's not to say she wasn't attractive at work, she was, but she obviously 'dressed down' to avoid appearing too attractive. Tonight she didn't feel the need to do that and the difference was amazing. Glancing at his watch Arch noticed that it was time to go if they were going to make their reservations.

"I hate to rush but we should be going now, Elizabeth."

"Right, just let me get my wrap and we can go." She grabbed her wrap off the back of a chair where it had lain and Arch helped her drape it around her shoulders. He exited the condo, waiting while she locked the door, and extending his arm he escorted her to his car.

The drive to the restaurant passed quickly and they were soon seated at their table in an out of the way, quiet corner.

"This looks like a nice place, Arch, do you come here often?"

"I do, actually. I've been coming here for business meetings and such since they opened, which is about a year. I really like the food and the privacy the seating arrangements allow. I can have a business conversation without too much concern, as long as people don't talk overly loud you really can't hear too much from other tables."

"I think the atmosphere is very romantic," she said with a sly grin.

"Well, yes, now that you mention it, it is quite romantic. I hope you approve?" Arch asked hopefully.

"Oh I do, Arch, I most certainly do."

At that moment the waiter arrived and after taking their drink order left them to peruse the menu. Returning with their drinks he took their dinner orders and left as quickly as he'd come.

"You mentioned dancing after dinner, Arch. I haven't danced since Joe's retirement party and I'm looking forward to it. You dance very well if I remember correctly," she said coyly.

"They have dancing here, in the lounge area, starting at 9:00." Arch paused to examine her other comment. "Has it been that long? I do apologize and I promise you won't have to wait another six months before I take you dancing again you can be sure of that!" he chuckled.

"I'll hold you to that, you know. I just love to dance, so much so that you may regret making that promise!"

Arch smiled at her warmly and continued in a low sexy voice, "I'll take my chances, Elizabeth."

The words he spoke caused a frisson of desire to run down her spine. Arch had never spoken to her like this and she loved it! She reached out and grasped his hand. Her eyes darkened as her desire for the man seated across from her came to the surface.

Arch noticed the change in Elizabeth almost as soon as the words left his mouth. He could almost feel the heat radiate from her and her eyes spoke of heretofore untold desire for him. Rather than being surprised at the depth of feeling she was showing he was pleased and it stoked his desires for her as well. He hadn't felt desire like this in many, many years and he found that he liked the feeling. For the first time since his divorce he felt alive! Elizabeth was unleashing feelings he'd buried for too long and it felt great to release them again.

All of these feelings passed between the couple wordlessly and just as Arch was leaning in to kiss Elizabeth their meals arrived. Shaken out of the cocoon of desire they had been in they sat back, blushing, and began to eat.

Conversation slowed, naturally, during the meal and after dessert they made their way to the lounge grabbing an empty table close to the dance floor. Arch ordered a bottle of wine for them and they seated themselves while waiting for the band to finish setting up. Arch poured them both a glass of wine, picked up his glass and proposed a toast.

"To best friends," he said softly looking deep into her eyes.

"To best friends," she replied with feeling and they sipped their wine.

They spent the evening dancing, enjoying the feel of their arms around the other. As the first song had ended Arch and Elizabeth kissed for the first time. Arch's fears of disappointing Elizabeth with his inexperience were unfounded as his lips found hers and a sensuous moan escaped her throat even before his tongue requested entrance to her mouth. He deepened the kiss and he tightened his grip around her waist as he felt her knees weaken slightly. She returned the kiss enthusiastically but all too soon it was over and she was left breathless as he pulled away.

"Wow," she said, feeling overwhelmed and unable to form a coherent thought.

Arch smiled lovingly. "Yeah, wow! I worried about doing that, I didn't want to embarrass myself with my inexperience."

"If that is inexperience, Arch, I don't think I can handle it once you get your sea-legs again! You'll get no complaints from me if your kisses *never* improve."

"Thank you, Elizabeth. Your kisses bring out the best in me so I'm sure my partner has a lot to do with my performance." He pulled her tighter to his chest as the next song started. She molded herself to his chest as he rested his cheek on her hair and smelled her perfume. It intoxicated him and further enflamed the feelings he had for her.

Throughout the night they spent more time on the dance floor than off but found enough time to finish the bottle of wine during the band's breaks. All too soon the band leader announced that the next set would be the last and they took full advantage by dancing every dance. By the end of the evening they felt as if they had known each other forever and that they knew each others body as well as they could, with their clothes on that is.

Given the heat they had generated throughout the evening Arch became concerned that his resolve not to be intimate tonight might be tested. While he was quickly falling, had probably already fallen, for Elizabeth, he still didn't want to rush too quickly. He didn't want her to think he was like all men and only had one thing on his mind. Oh he wanted that too, he'd be a fool not to, but he wanted her to know he loved her for herself and not for her physical attributes. Again, trusting to what he knew of Elizabeth, he felt sure she wouldn't press the issue tonight and he relaxed in that knowledge.

Elizabeth was thinking about the next step in the evening as well. She felt that they had made enormous progress tonight. She could feel the desire for her in everything Arch did, especially the way he held her when they danced and when they kissed. No man had kissed her like that and those kisses reinforced her feelings of love for him. However she wondered if he might want more now that she'd unleashed his desire. She looked forward to more as well, just not tonight. She'd never been the kind of girl who slept with a guy on the first date and she wasn't about to start now, no matter how much Arch turned her on. Knowing Arch as she did she felt sure that he'd understand her reluctance to take that step tonight. That settled she relaxed as they slowly made their way to her condo, each lost in their own thoughts, holding hands the whole way.

Parking in front of her condo, Arch crossed to the other side of the car, opening the door for her. He gently pulled her to his side as they strolled to her door, giving her little pecks every few steps. When they stopped in front of her door he turned her to face him and gazed deeply into her eyes before he captured her mouth with his. He expressed his feelings for Elizabeth in this kiss, holding nothing back. This kiss was hotter than any they'd experienced on the dance floor and all too soon he pulled back, breathless.

Reaching up with his hand to brush her cheek he smiled and kissed her forehead. "I hate to leave you but if I don't I'm going to do something I don't think either of us are ready for right now. I've had such a great time and I don't want to ruin it by taking things too far for a first date. I hope you don't mind, honey."

'Honey?' He hadn't used any kind of endearment before this but she found that she liked it. She agreed with him and sought to reassure him. "I agree, darling, I've had such a wonderful evening and it feels right to end it now, thanks for being the man I thought you'd be."

'Darling?' Arch had been concerned she might object to his endearment but she'd not only accepted it but returned one of her own. His heart soared and he knew he'd made the right choice tonight and he was proud that she acknowledged it as well. Kissing her one more time, not quite as passionately as before, he pulled back from her holding her hands in his.

"I'll call you tomorrow, Elizabeth, if that's all right?"

"I'd like that, Arch, very much."

He released her hands and turned to head home, images of the night playing in his mind until he fell asleep, dreaming of the best date of his life.

*****

Elizabeth woke early the next morning to thoughts of last nights date. It had gone better than she could have ever hoped, given that on Saturday she and Arch were still only friends, at least officially. She'd been so aroused when she got home last night that she found her hands between her legs as she relived the dances with Arch and she cried out her joy at the remembrance of the kiss at her door. As she made her way to the shower the same feeling settled in her stomach and she found herself reliving the experience again with similar results. She trimmed her vulva and shaved her bikini area as she did every morning but this time she paid extra attention to her clitoris, bringing herself to a screaming climax once again, a record for her so early in the morning.

fdkman262
fdkman262
260 Followers