It Ain't Paranoia if... Ch. 05

Story Info
The Craziness in West Texas continues.
17.1k words
4.8
21.4k
34

Part 5 of the 15 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 11/20/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Texican1830
Texican1830
1,478 Followers

No sex involving anyone under 18. All characters are fictitious, but settings aren't. Please read Chapters 1-4 if you want to understand this one.

From the end of Chapter 4 -- "Claude find anything out?"

"Don't know; we haven't seen much of either brother today."

"The kids say they ate lunch and went shopping with Uncle Clay, Uncle Claude, and Mommy..."

Brian looked toward the end of the bed at Chris, who shrugged. "I don't know. Like I told you, Kaitlyn dropped the kids off at my door and asked me to take them to see their Dad at five."

I looked at Carlos, who nodded and left the room. The kids rejoined us, and we all talked about my prognosis and when I might be able to get out and return home; nothing more was said about the three missing members. They left at 6:30 to go feed the kids.

Carlos returned at 7:10. "I don't know what's going on, amigo. I didn't find them or see Claude's Suburban anywhere. I've got friends I can call in to keep an eye on them, if you want."

"Nope - fuck'em!

"But I want you to get with your contacts to find out what you can about the North Koreans. I've been expecting Homeland or at least the NSA to show up, but so far nada. Not saying Claude isn't on it, but I want you on it too. Puedes?"

"Claro, amigo. I'll let you know hasta manana."

As soon as he left, I pushed the red button. "I'm hurting and I need to sleep; can you come give me something?"

"Of course, Mr. MacGregor; I'll be right in."

***

She must have given me the good stuff, because I don't remember anything until the 5 am hustle started. They adjusted the bed so I was sitting up, which, for the first time, didn't make my arm or ribs hurt. They took more blood, changed the plastic drip sacks, and asked if I was ready for a bedpan. When I said no, they gave me a couple of pills and told me I needed to go #2 soon.

The nurse and orderly were so nonchalant while talking about my bowel and bladder function I didn't even blush. The idea of using a bedpan again spurred me to ask when I might be able to get up and go to the restroom. They referred me to Doctor Wong, tidied everything up, and hustled away.

I sat there, wide awake, and stared out my window at the dark sky and sparkling lights. 'What now?' I asked myself, and began to devise plans.

The same crew that was here last night appeared at eight, bearing the welcome gifts of a supersize coffee and a bacon and egg taco from Stripes. My son and daughter didn't have a much to say, because "All we did after we left was sit in the room and watch TV while Mom talked and texted on her phone!"

"So where is mom? She hasn't come with you the last few times."

Grace replied, "She said to tell you she had a meeting this morning, and that she hopes you're feeling better."

I looked at the others; they shrugged.

Doctor Wang appeared, asked everyone to step out for moment, and stood beside my bed. "Mr. MacGregor, I want you to know that although my surname is Korean and my parents emigrated after escaping from North Korea, I was born in Texas and I'm an American through and through! I want to tell you that because I just learned how you got your wounds."

"Never been a concern, Doctor," I said with a reassuring smile, "I owe you my life, and the care you've provided has been first rate throughout my stay. My only concern is how long my stay is going to be."

He smiled back. "You've been a great patient. That's mainly because you're strong and healthy and you are recovering much better and faster than normal, so you make me look good.

"I know you're getting impatient, but we have to make sure the last vestiges of the infection are gone and the two wounds are healing properly, and get you started on physical therapy before we talk about anything else."

"Well, can I at least get out of bed to use the restroom? I can't see that doing any harm."

"You can, but you will have to roll the IV with you until we're through with the antibiotic drip," he said with a smile. I thanked him profusely, and he left to finish his rounds.

The crew returned, but the kids were already tired of the hospital, so they made plans to leave in fifteen minutes and take them to the nearby children's park. Carlos tapped his chest, indicating he would stay.

Concerned that their mother was pulling away from me and might take them away, I hugged them the entire fifteen minutes. They could sense my emotion and began having second thoughts about leaving. I did want them to feel guilty, so I told them not to worry about me; they should go have fun and come back for a longer visit later. They thought that was a good idea, and left with three of their 'uncles'.

Carlos shut the door and sat down beside me. "My people in San Diego think they have an idea why the Korean are after you and your ex-wife, and are following their leads. They warned that you should expect a visit from some of the three letter agencies soon.

"As to your ex and your friends, I went ahead and put someone on them after we talked yesterday. Clay and Claude aren't staying at Wyndham Gardens anymore; they moved over to the Baymont. They left a message for Brian at his room but didn't say why they moved.

"Kaitlyn rented a car yesterday. This morning she brought the kids to Chris, nervously told him she had another meeting, and asked if we could take care of them until six. Chris tried to ask her what's going on, but she got very nervous, shook her head, and said she couldn't talk about it. She hurried back to her rental and drove off.

"One of my boys is on her, and three are on Clay and Claude. They are trading off in hopes the brothers won't see them right away, but it's going to be hard to fool those two for any length of time."

Carlos pulled his buzzing phone out of his pocket, looked at the screen, winked, and picked up. They spoke in rapid Spanish for few minutes, and then he put the phone back in his pocket.

"Both cars drove straight to the parking garage of the old Sperry Hotel. They arrived about 5 minutes apart and parked on the second level. They crossed into the hotel through a walkway, continued past the ballroom and into a hallway. Kaitlyn was first, and then they watched Claude and Clay walk into a room at the end of the hall. We think she went in there also.

"The hotel has its ballrooms, meeting rooms, and some suites on second floor, but my guys are waiting for other instructions before trying to find out more. As you know, if they go snooping they will likely get made, but we won't know what's going on unless someone goes by there."

I was busy considering the ramifications of sending someone to check when Carlos got a text. "Hey, no hay problema! One has a primo on the hotel staff; he is going to get him to check.

"So, amigo, what do you think is going on? This makes no sense to me."

"Me either, Chap. The simple answer is Kaitlyn is having an affair, or sex, with one or both of them. If they are having an affair, though, they are doing a pitiful job of hiding it! I mean, Kaitlyn is all over me, and then she just ghosts me? Come on - they know I'm not that drugged up, naïve, or stupid!

"So, are they doing some kind of business? If so, what would that be? Can't see that happening, based on what we know.

"No, what makes the most sense is they are meeting with someone and don't want us to know. Can you find out who has the room rented?"

Carlos sent a text.

I had no idea where my phone was, as I hadn't wanted or needed it since the shooting, but I saw the need now. I called my nurse and asked her to come in. She didn't know either, but would find out if it was with my clothing and shoes.

She found it, discharged of course, so she found a charger that fit, brought it to the room, and plugged it in where I could reach it. That's a nurse going above and beyond!

Carlos got a funny look when he read the response to his text, and gave me a raised eyebrow. "All they can tell me is three rooms were rented by the FBI, but the people in them aren't members of the local office."

"Well, alrighty then! I guess your sources were correct; I need to prepare to be interviewed." I checked my phone, saw it was on, and made two phone calls.

***

The physical therapist showed up right after lunch. Although she was careful and gentle, the PT sucked! She suggested I wasn't quite ready yet, but she would check back daily.

I used my phone to send a text to a business partner in DC who owes me a favor, took a pain pill, and took a nap. After awakening, I read the response from my DC acquaintance, sent one to Carlos, and wrote out a couple of notes.

When my nurse responded to my call button, I rather loudly complained about this room being too hot during the day and too cold at night. She rolled her eyes at my room complaint, but gave me a puzzled look when I handed her the note and put my finger to my lips in a 'shush' warning. She read the note, looked around the room with a frown, nodded, and left.

The kids and their uncles reappeared at 5:15, full of vim and vigor. The stories of all the fun they had kind of ran together because they kept talking over one another, but I figured out that they had played on all the contraptions at the park, including a spinning barrel. From there they went to a movie about training your dragon, and bowling at some place that had steel bars that pop up on the side so kids can bowl!

A few clarifying questions later and I had a better idea of what happened while they were with their uncles between hospital visits. They were still giddy about all the fun they had, but based on the smiles, I'm pretty sure their uncles were equally as giddy. In fact, each of the three uncles prompted the storyteller from time to time to add details to their recounting.

They left at six to go meet mommy and eat supper, but promised they would be back at eight in the morning to spend time with Daddy! I called Chris over to the bed before he left, and said, "Chris, two things: when you see my ex, tell her how disappointed I am that she hasn't come to see me! But, more importantly, thanks to you guys for taking such great care of my kids!"

I offered my hand; he frowned at my offering a handshake, but took my hand anyway, while telling me they enjoyed it as much as the kids did. Understanding crossed his face as he felt the note folded in my hand pressed against his; he palmed it, said he would pass my message to Kaitlyn, and they would be back bright and early tomorrow.

I mouthed, "Read immediately!" He nodded and left.

As soon as they left, my food was served. While I was eating, Carlos arrived. Before he could speak, I put my finger to my lips and rolled my head so that my eyes circled the room.

He nodded, and I greeted him with, "Hey, Vato, good to see you! Everything good with you?"

He answered it was all good, and winked at me. "I'm sick of the four walls in this room, and the dang sun shines in my eyes first thing every morning! If I can get the nurse to agree, will you help me move to another room?" He answered he would be glad to, and I punched the call button.

Carlos checked my bed and IV stand carefully, but found nothing; it must be elsewhere.

My new favorite nurse came in, put her hands on her hips, and asked, "What now?"

"Can you move me to the vacant room across the hall now? I'm really tired of this room being cold and the sun waking me up every morning! If I can move now, my friend will help you move me!"

She acted exasperated for a moment, but soon admitted my doctor agreed to the change. She affixed the IV stand to the bed; they wheeled my bed into the other room, and got me set up. I thanked her; she gave me a serious look and said, "You're welcome. I hope you're wrong, but we're stationing a security guard where he can keep an eye on the corridor."

Carlos was on the phone before I could say anything to him. He hung up and said, "My men will be here to thoroughly sweep both rooms within ten minutes. The type of devices we find should tell us more about the kind of people we're dealing with."

My new room had no bugs; my old room... "We found two listening devices in the other room. They aren't typical of the listening devices government agencies use, but they are sophisticated. We examined them, but left them in place. Do you want us to take them, or what?"

"No, let's leave them, Julio, but is there any way we can determine who planted them?"

"The signal is weak, so it's transmitting to someone close by. I can hide a video camera and see who comes to remove the devices. Meanwhile, don't let anyone roam around in your room and plant more devices."

After his crew left, Carlos updated me. "After your warning, my guys looked for tails and spotted Kaitlyn's right away. We can't talk to her, but she's clearly scared. I think she was threatened with dire consequences if she doesn't cooperate. Did you get word to her?"

"I sent a note with Chris; keep your fingers crossed. What about the Edwards boys?"

"I can't figure that out! It's as if they are under house arrest, but by whom and for what? Anyway, they are camped out in their new hotel suite and don't leave, even to eat."

***

The next day began typically... without the sun in my eyes. Breakfast, a more subdued visit from the kids and their uncles, and Chris whispered that he delivered my message to Kaitlyn. She read it at the door of her room, looked at him wide-eyed, and then nodded tentatively.

He also whispered that they were very well armed and vigilant, and would protect the kids at all costs.

PT came after they left; it hurt, but I did more than before.

Two men dressed in suits stereotypical of Feds showed up right after the therapist left. My nurse escorted them into the room and then disappeared down the hall.

"Mr. MacGregor, I'm Joe Jenardi, and this is Michael Finn. I'm with the FBI, and Mr. Finn is with the CIA." They showed me their badges and ID cards and asked if we could talk. I asked them to hold their badges neck high and took close up photos of their faces and badges. They weren't pleased, but reluctantly cooperated.

"You want to talk in regards to...?" I then asked.

"We'd like hear your version of the story about the kidnapping and ensuing gun battle in which seven Koreans were killed near Fort Davis."

"Sure, I can do that, but first I want to confirm that I'm not a suspect or under investigation. You haven't Mirandized me, so I assume I'm not, but I'd like your statement to that effect before I continue." My phone was still in my hand, leading them to assume correctly that I am recording our conversation.

They looked at each other; Jenardi said, "We're in the fact gathering stage. I can't say what the investigation will uncover, or who will become a suspect in the investigation. At this time, you are not a suspect; you're someone with information that might help inform our investigation."

"Okay, let me get us each a cup of coffee and we can get started." I called the nurses' station and ordered three cups of coffee.

Fortuitously, Sheriff Goodson and my attorney from Carr and McLaughlin, Monroe Carr, came to visit me just in time to bring the three cups of coffee for us, and two more for themselves.

Strangely, the Special Agent and Case Officer didn't seem that pleased to meet a fellow law enforcement officer, much less my attorney.

"You asked for 'my version' of the events when my children and ex-wife were kidnapped, and some number of Koreans were wounded or killed. I can only speak to my actions: at the time of the firefight that occurred outside, I was busy bleeding out in the RV from two gunshot wounds delivered by said Koreans. I will, however, take you through the events in which I was involved, while I was conscious."

I recounted the story, beginning with the last-minute decision to take the scenic loop, which the sheriff took credit for recommending, and ending with things going black while I lay between the front seats of the RV. They didn't bother to take notes, and I didn't see them recording, as I did.

As the hour wore on, the gist of their questions led me to the conclusion that they believe I have information the North Koreans want, or, that I'm somehow linked to the Peoples' Democratic Republic of Korea!

Though never stated, there was an underlying layer of intimidation implicit in their questioning.

Deciding this fishing expedition had gone on long enough, I decided to bring it to conclusion. "Gentlemen, I gave the FBI everything I had on Robert Junior's dealings with characters, organizations, and regimes I believed were engaged in questionable, if not illegal, activities. I refused to meet or work with those I knew or suspected to be involved in terrorism, or whom the US government has sanctioned.

"I know zip-zero-nada about any dealings Robert Junior may have had with North Korea. I absolutely did not have dealings with the government of the Peoples' Republic or anyone representing them, nor have I had contact with such persons since departing my former employer.

"I simply don't know how I can help you further. I don't have any more documents to hand over, and I don't recollect anything that would be even tangentially applicable.

"I do want to help, so if you have something to ask me, please do it directly. This skating around whatever it is you want to know isn't getting us anywhere!"

Finn asked if it would be all right for them to consult in the hallway for a moment. I shrugged, and they left. They talked, and then made a phone call.

"What's going on, Sheriff? I don't know why North Koreans, or anyone else not associated with Robert Junior, would kidnap Kaitlyn and the kids. I assumed they were targets of opportunity and there would be a ransom demand. These two seem to believe it was anything but chance, and that Kaitlyn was targeted. Do you have any idea why they think that?"

"No, but I learned today that they have questioned Kaitlyn, Clay, and Claude repeatedly for the past two days. Strangely, none of the three has asked for an attorney. The Edwards boys are certainly worldly enough to insist on representation, unless they know they are under suspicion. Which they are, based on what these two have said.

"Kaitlyn should also know she needs an attorney, and if she didn't, the boys should have told her. Either their questioning of the others has been very different from what you're getting, or... I don't know! I can't think of a reason to be questioned by federal agents for two days without legal representation."

Monroe said, "They're coming back; let's see what they have to say this time. I'll intervene if I think it's going off the rails."

"Mr. MacGregor, we've been advised to read you your rights, and to conduct the remainder of this interview on the record."

Monroe quickly intervened. "While my client is prepared, even eager, to assist you, he will say nothing further until the purpose of the investigation is established. It will be weeks before he will be released from the hospital, so even if arrested he will have to be questioned here, in my presence. Either come clean about your purpose and ask for his assistance, or this interview is over."

"You do understand that we can hold your client under terrorism statutes..."

"That would be the stretching those laws considerably beyond their intent, and if you do, Sheriff Goodson and I will be on CNN tomorrow, while my partner sits with a local federal judge with authority to order my client's release.

"Wouldn't it be easier, and potentially less embarrassing to you, to just be honest with my client? He wants to cooperate, but if you intend to continue on this fishing expedition, hoping to hook someone / anyone so you don't have to explain the involvement of ARMED Korean gangsters, or spies, or whatever they are, in the kidnapping of an American citizen and her two children, well, no, we won't play!"

Texican1830
Texican1830
1,478 Followers