All Comments on 'It'll All be Over by Christmas'

by Moondrift

Sort by:
  • 25 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
senseless story

about senseless lives. I was bore, so I read it, okay? but since I had to read --- someone had to, or the story would be more than a total waste on the author's part! --- but what a joke of a story. ain't that deep nor good; indeed, it's not even bad at all. <p>

it is just senseless, pointless. I guess when we become old and older and are close to the end of our time here in earth, we talk senseless and think senseless because nothing else really matter,,, like this wimpish psychopath of "major"

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Ignore dufus before me..

Has the insight of a gnat.

The story was simply brilliant. I can not imagine the horrors of war coupled with the horror of losing one's mind essentially to the loss of one's soul mate to another man.

I thought the story was well thought out and particulary disturbing-- as I am sure was the intent of the author.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
An excellent...

...disturbing story of love, war and consequences. My only slight quibblw would be with the title... It was said in 1914 that the Great War would be over by Christmas, but I don't think anyone believed that in 1939.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
absolutely smashing story!!!

I dont read non-erotic stuff...thats not why im here...I have nooo clue why I paused to read THIS...glad i did...incredibly literate, well done!!!!!!

Just@FanJust@Fanalmost 17 years ago
I am glad I read this

Nicely done, if a touch morbid, however all together a well written piece. I am glad I stopped in for the read.

JennyBearJennyBearalmost 17 years ago
Pleased in Colorado

Well done, it was a bit on the morbid side but I enjoyed reading it. I have been in a bloodthirsty mood lately.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
hmm

i dont know why people think its morbid. i guess, they have no idea what WAR does to a person.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Would That There Could Be

more stories as literate and well pictured as this is.<P>

You took us there and it wasn't pleasant but it was real or so it seemed. You showed us that consequence isn't always rational but it can be understood as viewed through pained eyes.<P>

Exceptional Author - KUDO's + more appreciation.<P>

Another example of how marital consequence can bring low a reasonable person who can then do the unimaginable to balance the scales in their mind - such as it is.<P>

Thanks again Author<P>

With Very High Regard

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Excellent story

Nice change of pace....excellent story that made you feel sorry for the murderer...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
A tale that,

Probably, many should, or wish they could tell. The story is unglamorous, to those, like me, who are vehemently antiwar and of the senseless killing that goes on, even, to this very day. But, the feelings of loss are common place to those jilted in love.

I was born the same month as when the ‘Major’ enlisted, January, 1940, and to the first commentator, I’m never bored for life at 60+ is still full of activity and interests.

My best regards

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
A tale that,

Probably, many should, or wish they could tell. The story is unglamorous, to those, like me, who are vehemently antiwar and of the senseless killing that goes on, even, to this very day. But, the feelings of loss are common place to those jilted in love.

I was born the same month as when the ‘Major’ enlisted, January, 1940, and to the first commentator, I’m never bored for life at 60+ is still full of activity and interests.

My best regards

z00timez00timealmost 17 years ago
Another

This story is just another validation of the phrase, "Life Sucks, then you die!"

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Sad but true

Too many people disregard the impact of war on men, and nowadays, women. (For a graphic depiction of the effects on people see the BBC tv programme "Warriors" about the Bosnian intervention.) This is happening right now to far too many young people. The more half-wits that we have like the first commentator, the worse our soldiers will be treated and the more violent our society will be. Support your service men and women and ex-service personnel and thank God that you haven't had to face what they have. This story is more insightful than anyone could wish. I hope Moondrift isn't fighting these demons. Anyone in Britain or Ireland who is, can get in touch with Combat Stress at www.combatstress.org.uk or the Royal British Legion at www.britishlegion.org.uk. Service personnel of other nations should get in touch with with their ex-service agencies.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
A very

thoughtful story and one of several on this site that should be made mandatory reading for certain politicians in every country.

EspressoBolusEspressoBolusalmost 17 years ago
delightful!

Absolutely perfect. "Spot On" I think is the british term.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
What A Load Of Shit

This story is a pantload by an anti-war crybaby. The generation that fought Hitler fought an Anti-Christ. This is obvious to most in the religious community. And it has been commented on in this manner by no less a personage than Pope John Paull II. He was the first Pope to visit and pray at Auschwitz.

The subject of our story here was aggrieved, but had it been me, I'd have let the company present at the "tea" know what happened. Shooting and killing two miscreants and cheats such as the two in the story is no answer, but trying to liken it or justify it by way of the horrors of WW 2 is so much crap. There is no justiification for cold-blooded murder, but wars are fought to preserve our way of life, which WAS the case with WW2.

We won, and we punished those responsible for bringing about that awful war by putting them all to death or long terms of imprisonment. We were the GOOD GUYS, people! And there is NO getting away from that. But things like personal weakness HAPPEN in wars, even to goood people. We cannot get away from that truth, either.

So much about wrongful wars being started by bad politicians is true, but it all comes under the heading of "political Truisms". Because ALL of our wars are prosecuted by politicians. Or declared by them. This is what Civilian Authority over the Military is all about. Let us not forget this, either. We, at least have this on our side. The other guys, did not!

GenghisKhanGenghisKhanalmost 17 years ago
This was a bad excuse for a literary story

war didn't turn this man into a virus, a psychopath; he was born with such an virulent inclination; that woman and that other man simply happened to cross his path briefly, giving him an irrational excuse to murder them, 'tis all. <p>

countless men and women suffered losses of arms, ears, nose, legs, fingers, and have their socalled loved ones — and many of those, upon returning from war, were ditched by boyfriend/girlfriends/husbands/wives they had thought loved them.... <p>

and yet they simply shrugged and said, "Perhaps she/he's not my soul-mate, even though I thought they were... it is apparent my soul-mate is somewhere else, someone else." and they, then, went on to find incredibly loving life mates and built companies and fed countless around the world. <p>

yes, with arms and fingers missing and all that, too. <p>

neither war nor violence could be "credited" for how these great men and women "turned out".... they were "made" that way or taught that way, from early on.... and they stayed that way, through the darkest of hours, until the end, and their lives turned out triumphant... <p>

gun-loving and/or violent-prone idiots, of course, think this CHARACTER here who pulled his WWII revolver and shot the father in between the eyes and his wife, in the back of the head, after he taunted her and made her “run for you life” ----- was some type of a folk hero... <p>

this story was really ultimately, then, THEIR STORY — the dead educators and parents’ story — not his, even if told from his perspective, created by Moondrift, and was hailed as some sort of a deep literary/philosphical pondering on the madness which war had on “different individuals” through out the ages.... that’s just pure horse shit served as caviar... anyone who thinks otherwise's been sniffin' too much of it... <p>

Moondrift has written many exceptionally well thought out stories, some of which were also violent, yes .... I don't oppose, as a general principle, violence or even random violence! it's the TONE, the nuances, that bothered me, that made me say this is pure gibberish nonesense. needless to say, it's obvious many enjoy such gibberish nonesense, mistaking it for zen-like meditative thoughts and acts, when, in fact, it's just the act of a mad dog who was already sick with madness before the war... <p>

don't use war as an excuse for a person's madness. it may exacerbate it but war ain't responsible for madness that is likely in-born...

Use1ceOnlyUse1ceOnlyalmost 17 years ago
Religious?

The attitude of Christians and Jews to war is constrained by the ten commandments and for Christians the knowledge that there is an after life. I don't know what Jews believe about immortality. I'm not a member of either group - my loss? - but I'm afraid I can't take seriously religious claims that ignore this. Apart from the bit about my neighbour's ass in some versions of the tenth the commandments provide a good start on a satisfying life for anyone. At 71 I still don't think I want eternal life.

bornagainbornagainalmost 17 years ago
Well written story

Well done and well written My dad served in the Jap war he was a pilot and i bet alot of soldiers came home that felt like him the only problem is that claudia lied to him and i bet she had a miscarriage and never told him about it so she was embarrased about her cheating behind his back and marrying malcolm in his place and why didnt he see his mom and talk to her ?when he did them in he should have just used it on himself .

Pat

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Well Done!

Two Iraq tours myself, I've known of a few things like this that went on.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Well done

Rather near the truth. But why kill them. didn't they have two kids? Nah. Not acceptable to me... Cheers Yoron.

statestreetstatestreetover 10 years ago
Wow!

I've heard of stories like this, where the husband/boyfriend is called to war and the wife/girlfriend finds someone else to "comfort" her. Then the poor slob doing the fighting gets a "Dear John" letter. All the while the asshole on the home front gets the girl and afterwards he and she try to justify their act and then think nothing of it. I realize its part of human nature but I think it is a truly ugly aspect. I'm glad Claudia and Malcolm got theirs and am sorry the soldier will be punished for acting on their betrayal of him.

rightbankrightbankalmost 10 years ago
what a downer

what did he accomplish?

chytownchytownover 9 years ago
The Bitter End***

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Anonymous 07/04/07 is an idiot!

This was a very good story. Our poor hero goes thru hell during WW2. His fiancé screws the draft dodger HeadMaster of his Public School while he is fighting in North Africa. Then marries the HeadMaster. After the war ends the HeadMaster rehires our hero to rub their marriage and their children in our hero’s face. Our hero has PSTD, so he shoots both of the cheaters (well deserved based on the horrors our hero has gone thru).

Now this idiot anonymous 07/04/07 commenter states a lot of bad comments about this story. He then incorrectly states that all of the bad Nazis and bad Imperial Japanese were severely punished which is not totally correct. Many of these bad guys such as Joachim Peiper murderer at the Malmedy Massacre got off with minimal jail sentence and was released in 1956. He was the senior general and was responsible for the killing of 100’s of unarmed allied prisoners and French Citizens during WW2.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous