JAA Ch. 01: Aftermath

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What are you talking about? We're not finished, not by a long shot. I want to know why..."

"Bill shut the hell up and follow me," Jim told him grabbing his sleeve and hauling him out the door. Jim closed the door once he had shoved Bill through.

"Well, that went better than I expected." Sue was the first to speak.

"Jim is not a bad sort and he's certainly not bigoted like Bill. Getting Bill out of here so we could talk with Jim was essential, that's why I provoked him. And he's so easy to provoke."

"Why do we put up with him?" George asked.

"You know why George."

"I suppose I do."

"I don't," Ying said.

"Our rule of law, the Constitution, allows his sort to exist. It's a pain in the ass but he is entitled to his opinion. It may be the wrong one and time will show him just how wrong it is but, he does have the right to his prejudice."

"I see." Ying contemplated what Cappy had just said.

"All right everyone back to work, god only knows the pile I have here to do."

Chapter 34

"Cappy, we need to find a geneticist and reproductive specialist."

"Okay, where do we start looking for either of those?" Cappy asked Susan.

"I don't know. Austin area, there were several excellent medical schools down that way, maybe the doctors didn't wander far."

"We'll send a team down that way when we get a chance."

"No, we need them now. I can only go so far in my research without their help. And we need to know why and see if it can be reversed."

"You think it can? Be reversed I mean."

"I don't know I'm not a geneticist." Susan's voice was dripping with sarcasm.

"Fine. I'll send Linda and Dave up there to see what they can find. Is that okay?"

"When?"

"Tomorrow to long away?"

"No, tomorrow will be fine. I'll go tell them. I need to talk to them before they go anyway."

"Fine."

"Fine."

Cappy sat there staring at Susan. She had a look of confusion on her face as she stared back at him.

"Oh, this is your office," she said and left.

Cappy smiled and shook his head knowing that it was the hormones.

~~~ [time] ~~~

"Linda."

"Yes, Sue."

"I have a mission for you. You and Dave along with, oh who is in camp... Seacrest and Mark, have to make a little trip down to Austin in the morning. Better ask Waylon to assign some of those marines of his to go along. I'll ask him when I leave here... "

"Sue, slow down a little. Here have a seat. Now take a deep breath and tell me, slowly, what we have to do."

Sue sat, took several deep breaths, put her face in her hands, and started to cry. Linda squatted down beside her and held her in her arms, stroking her hair.

"Now calm down Suzie, calm down."

"Please don't call me that Linda. You know how I deplore that name."

"Feel better?"

"You... why yes I do. You bitch."

"Do continue now," Linda said, laughing at Sue.

"Fine. Austin, tomorrow, Dave, Mark, Len, you and four marines. Find us a geneticist and reproductive specialist. Whew."

"Why?" Linda asked with a strange look on her face.

"I guess I'll have to tell you eventually," Sue said in a hushed tone. "Most of the men, and I haven't tested them all, are sterile."

"What!" Linda shouted.

"Shh, keep this to yourself. Tell no one."

"Holy shit. Have you tested Jer?"

"No. You might want to do that."

"You bet. Do we know why?"

"No, that's why we need the specialists."

"Right. Evidently, Mark is okay," Linda said patting Susan's bulging belly.

"No, he's sterile too."

"Wha... " The look on Linda's face was priceless. Susan just sat there smiling at her friend. "Who, whose is... whose is it, then?"

"Now this is really secret," Sue, said looking around to make sure no one was close enough to overhear them. "Cappy's. He and about five others haven't been affected by whatever is causing the problem."

"Holy shit! Does Mark know?" Linda whispered.

"Yes. Now no more, go."

"All right I'll go fill in Dave, all except that last part. You go tell Mark, Len, and Waylon."

"Thanks, Linda."

~~~ [time] ~~~

"Waylon, have a minute?"

"Sure Sue, anytime for you."

"Good. I need four of your best for a little excursion to Austin."

"I see, you planning on taking a vacation?"

"Not me silly, Linda, Dave, Mark, Len and four of your best."

"Sure no problem. What's the trip about?"

"They are going down there to find us some specialists. Medical type specialist."

"Okay, got just the four for you then. Big, strong, quick and smart. They can talk the talk."

"What?"

"They're medics, they were in the Navy before becoming marines."

"Oh. What does that have to do with them being medics?"

"The Marines don't have medics, they have corpsman, navy personnel that are the medics. These four were navy corpsmen before they became Marines."

"Okay. They leave tomorrow."

"They'll be ready."

"Thanks, Waylon."

"You are welcome Doc."

~~~ [time] ~~~

It had been two days since Linda and Dave had headed south to Austin to find specialists to continue her research. She and Michelle along with Joyce had taken the research as far as they could and needed some help to determine what was happening to the men.

Susan, Michelle, and Joyce had just finished an all-day session trying to come up with answers to questions they didn't even know how to frame. They were sipping coffee and rubbing the strain out of their eyes when the door to the common room burst open.

"Sue, where are you," Linda shouted as she walked into the room. "Oh, there you are. Good news."

Four people, Susan did not know walked into the room tentatively, two men and two women, all in their early forties, looking somewhat lost.

"You found some specialists?"

"Oh yes, we did. Four to be exact. Three geneticists and a reproductive specialist," Linda said proudly turning to the four who followed her into the room. "Come, come over here this is who you will be working with. Doctor Susan Reynolds, meet Doctors Jeffery Hyden, Louis Fletcher, Barbara Mezger and Jamie Johnson. Jamie holds two degrees an MD and a Ph.D. in reproductive processes. Jeff, Louis, and Barb all hold MDs and Ph.D.s, those Ph.D.s being in Genetics."

"Hi, very pleased to meet you all. This is Doctors Michelle Tomlin, Joyce Bartlett, Michelle is a pediatrician, and Joyce is OB/Gyn. I am an internist and pediatrician."

They all stood there quietly looking around. Jamie finally came forward.

"Glad to meet you too, Sue. I have to say we are kind of in a daze here. We didn't think the government had set up any kind of research facility at all, let alone one way up here in the badlands."

"Oh. Linda didn't tell you we were government did she?"

"No, but, by the uniforms, weapons, and vehicles I, we, just assumed... "

"Jamie, how do I put this... there is no government anymore."

"What?"

"No Fed, no state governments exist within the borders of what used to be the United States. We here are a private citizens group who are only trying to take care of their own."

"Then what are we doing here?"

"You are going to help us solve a problem."

"What problem could be bigger than no government?"

"How about the end of the human species in America, that big enough for you?"

"You mean, what's left of America."

"Maybe you guys should get some rest and a good meal into you before we discuss any further what you'll be doing around here?"

"Sounds good to me."

Chapter 35

"Oh, there you? How is Susan doing?" Cappy asked Michelle who had just come out of the delivery room.

"She's doing fine and so is the baby. I was coming out to tell Mark, where is he?"

"He went back to his quarters to be with the children."

"Why would he do that?"

"Is it a boy or a girl?"

"A boy but, you already knew that. I have to tell Mark." Michelle turned to go but Cappy grabbed her arm.

"Just tell him Sue is okay."

"What? His wife just had the first baby since Wyoming blew up and you just want me to tell him his wife is okay? What the fuck is going on here?" Michelle scowled at Cappy.

"Yes, his wife just had the first baby since... and she wanted that baby, wanted it badly enough to... " Cappy just stopped.

"To what, mister?"

"Mark is sterile."

"What? Oh! Oh, my god! She didn't? She did? With who?"

"Do you see anyone else here wanting to know how she is and how the baby is?"

"Oh, my, god?" Michelle's face went white. Cappy grabbed her arm to hold her upright.

"That's right, we had unprotected sex. She wouldn't let me use a condom. She wanted to get pregnant."

"You knew it was yours and you let her go out into the world pregnant?"

"Yeah, she made me promise not to tell anyone. And I didn't tell you, got it?"

"Got it. But what the hell! Does Mark know you... you and her... the both of you...?"

"Yes, he knows. He asked me to give his wife a baby. He knew Sue wanted another baby, especially now."

"Christ!"

"Have you and George been trying? You are almost at that age."

"What? Yes, we have."

"Have you tested him? Sue started testing some of the single men, with my permission, and found most are sterile."

"Oh, my god. But, you're not?"

"It would appear not."

"I have to go tell Mark Sue is okay. We will have to talk later." Michelle backed away from Cappy a glint in her eye. It had been a long time since he had been intimate with her.

Cappy turned and strode through the doors to the delivery room.

"Cappy you can't come in here," Linda told him as he closed the door behind himself.

"He can Linda, he can. I have no objections," Susan told her as she sat there on the delivery table holding her son.

"Fine, but stay out of my way," Linda huffed.

"He's beautiful," Cappy smiled down at the baby in Susan's arms.

"He is at that," she replied reaching for Cappy's hand.

Cappy took her hand in his, leaned down and kissed Sue on the forehead. Linda was looking at them as if they had both gone bonkers. Susan looked up at Linda and smiled.

"Linda I'm going to tell you something and you need to keep it to yourself. Cappy is the father." Linda's eye widened with shock.

"Holy crap! Really? You're shitin' me?"

"No, he is the father. Mark is sterile, as are half the men in the village. That's why no married women are getting pregnant, their husbands are most likely sterile. I haven't tested everyone and that's something we need to work on, but half those I have tested are sterile. That's why Mark let Cappy and I... well you see what we did."

Linda stood there staring at Sue and Cappy. As she stared at them, you could see the wheels going round and round in her head. You could see what the next question would be as she decided whether to ask it or not.

"How... what method... I mean did you do... artifi... "

"The old fashioned way Linda, the old fashion way."

"Oh my god," was all she said to Susan's admission.

Cappy rushed to Linda's side as she started to teeter and wobble. He held her up as she turned her head to look at him. Her eyes closed and she went limp in his arms. Just as Cappy was, easing Linda to the ground Michelle entered the room. She rushed to Linda's side as Cappy scooped her up and walked to the second bed in the delivery room. He placed her gently on the bed as Michelle checked her pulse.

"What happened?"

"I told her who the father is," Susan told Michelle.

Michelle looked at Cappy. She then looked over at her friend and confidant.

"You knew before I told you? She told you. You were just keeping a secret for a friend with you fainting ignorance?"

"Yes, I'm sorry," Michelle told Cappy, then turned and gave Linda a smack on the ass. "Wake the fuck up you lazy bitch," Michelle yelled at Linda.

Cappy walked over to Sue and looked deeply into her eyes.

"Who else knows?"

"Just these two and Mark. I'm sorry I should have told you I let Michelle in on the secret."

"And Linda?"

"I told her before she went to Austin. They will both keep the secret. There will be no fallout from this for anyone."

"It doesn't matter. The fallout will be coming out shortly. As soon as every male is tested and told, there will be changes. The thought process of how the population is increased will have to be re-thought. There will be some bruised egos and relationships."

"That there will. Maybe Mark and I can help them all?"

"Don't be too hasty to jump into the fire."

"She won't be alone," Michelle chimed in.

"What do you mean?"

"George and I have been trying. I tested us both. He is sterile. When Susan told me about you two, I talked to George. He wants you to give me a baby, Cappy."

Cappy turned a bright crimson as Michelle said that. Not because of what she said, but the look on Linda's face when she said it, caused some discomfort for him.

"Jer is sterile too," Linda said softly.

Cappy just shook his head and started to back toward the door. He back up so fast that Michelle and Linda could not catch him before he fled down the hall.

As Cappy ran down the hall, he could hear Susan laughing.

Chapter 36

Susan bent over the microscope peering at the specimen on the slide. Her concentration was so great that she never heard Cappy enter her lab.

"Sue," Cappy whispered.

"What the... " Susan jumped at his voice. "You scared me half to death."

"Sorry, Mark asked me to bring you back home. You know you shouldn't be on your feet so much right after delivery?"

"I am a doctor."

"Which just proves you are a really bad patient?"

"Buzz off, I, we, really need to find the answers... " Cappy placed a finger against her lips to quiet her.

"You have five others that are working that problem now. You, my darling can take a short break. If you have any ideas they need to know about, write them down and Michelle will stop by and pick them up each day."

"But... "

"No. No buts about it. Now come with me. I promised Mark I would deliver you within the hour."

"Fine," Susan retorted collapsing in a chair.

Her color was not good and her hands started to shake. Cappy knelt beside her looking into her eyes as she leaned forward resting her head on his shoulder. Scooping her up, Cappy carried her to the door and across the hall to the infirmary. Michelle was there along with Linda as he placed her on the bed in the center of the room.

"What the hell, where was she? What was she doing?"

"No questions now Michelle, she isn't well, take care of her while I get Mark."

"Yes, yes, go, go. Now you young lady, let's have a look at you. Linda, give me a hand here she's about to pass out... " Cappy heard Michelle calling out as he hurried to get Mark.

~~~ [time] ~~~

"You do know that once you get pregnant that you can't go out and about until after you give birth?"

"I can go out until the fifth month, just like you did."

"Michelle, you're more petite than I am and you're more delicate."

"Quit trying to schmooze me, Susan. We are the same size, weight, and height and I'm just as strong as you are. "

"Schmooze, who uses words like that anymore?"

"Cappy."

"He would. Fine, you go ahead, get pregnant and go out on patrol with them. I won't be responsible for what happens."

"Who said you would. See you're trying to schmooze me again, bitch."

"I love you too, Michelle."

"I know, I know. Now give me a hug and wish me luck, Cappy is waiting."

"I bet he is. Good luck dear."

"Thank you, sweetie."

Susan stood there watching her friend. She smiled remembering... no time to think about that now. Turning she hurried to the community room where Waylon was waiting for her with the rest of the patrol.

~~~ [time] ~~~

The twelve of them spread out in a skirmish line as they approached the settlement. They were five klicks to the west of their valley on a call to help the doctor at this settlement. There was no movement in the settlement, a set of five cabins and ten tents. Usually, at this time of day, it should have been bustling with activity. Waylon raised his left hand in the air. The line halted and everyone took a knee, weapons at the ready. Waylon pointed at four of the marines and then at the village. The four moved silently forward. He then pointed at four more at the other end of the line and they too moved silently forward.

Susan was beside Waylon as she scanned the village ahead. She saw no signs of the inhabitants. The eight Marines had reached the cabins at either end of the village. They silently made entry. They all backed out quickly and started to don their bio-gear.

"Mop four," Waylon yelled.

Sue pulled her bio-gear from its pouch and pulled it over her head, then stepped into the suit as carefully as possible. Once she zipped up, she started slowly moving forward to catch up with Waylon.

"Everyone is dead in that first cabin. They look and smell awful," Telger reported to Waylon.

"Right. Sue have a look. Everyone perimeter. Team one you're with me."

Sue stepped through the door. The breathing mask filtered out the smell but from what she could see, she shuddered at the thought of what these people went through. Backing out the door, she ripped her mask from her head.

"It's alright. It's not an airborne contagion. It's the plague."

"All right you heard the doctor. No need to worry."

"Burn it all, everything. If you see any rats, mice, cats or dogs, kill them too. Then burn them. Keep your suits on it will be fleas that transmit the disease."

The fires were lit. The cabins burned the longest. Soon the entire valley was ablaze. The fires would stop at the upper tree line. The grass fire would stretch out into the grassland. The twelve people in yellow suits stood in a clearing waiting for the fire to lead the way out of the valley.

Susan had sprayed an insecticide into each suit just in case. Each person in the patrol was given a board spectrum antibiotic. She had done all she could until they returned to their village. She felt bad for these people but with poor sanitation came disease.

Chapter 37

The five sat with their backs to each other, scanning the horizon before them, watching. Watching for movement of any kind, they were too tired to keep running. And running only seemed to aggravate the situation, adding more hunters to the mix. The five were armed, armed to the teeth, as the saying goes. They were each armed with an M4, which they held in front of them. Two were also armed with LMG's which were sitting beside them. Two others had M24 sniper rifles that lay across their laps. The fifth had an M179 Grenade Launcher in their lap.

All were silent as they scanned their little piece of land. They had piled dead tree trunks around them and other manner of flotsam they could find in the general area. The only part of their bodies exposed was the top of their heads.

"Report," Cappy called out.

"Clear, here," called Sue.

"Clear, here," called Mark.

"Clear," called George.

"Clear, here also," called Michelle.

"How long has it been," asked Susan.

"It's only been a few minutes sweetheart," Mark answered her.

"Damn."

"Double damn," whispered Michelle.

"I agree," piped George.

Silence returned, as they all continued watching and waiting, they had been on the run for three days with only small instances of respite. They were all tired, beyond tired, but to stop could mean death.

"Why now and not three days ago?" Susan asked.

"Three days ago we were on their turf, now we're on ours and they are just as tired as we are."

"Still...oh never mind. I have movement, a hundred meters out, just to the right of my left marker."

"I see them. Everyone on your toes, watch for more," Cappy said. Picking up his sniper rifle, he sighted through the scope. He picked out one man and pulled the trigger. The gun bucked against his shoulder. The head of his target burst in a red cloud of mist as it dropped to the ground. The others stopped, looked around as another of their number went down. A third shot rang out and a third victim fell, the others scattered back into the brush.

1...2122232425...28