JAA Ch. 01: Aftermath

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Three down in that group, only another three to go," Cappy said.

As Cappy watched, three heads popped out of the tall grass. Cappy pulled the trigger one more time and watched as the head he hit disappeared. The other two pulled back into the tall grass out of sight.

"Movement, two hundred meters straight out," called Michelle.

"I have them," George responded picking up his sniper rifle. "There are only two of them over here."

Two quick shots and two more dead pursuers dealt with. The group sat and waited. A shot rang out from the grass.

"They don't know where we are," Cappy said as another shot rang out. "Muzzle flash." Cappy pulled the trigger once more. The shots from the grass stopped. They waited some more, each of them scanning for movement, minutes, long drawn out minutes passed as they waited and watched for any sign of those pursuing them.

"Geez," exclaimed Susan as chips from the log in front of her flew into the air, followed closely by a rifle report.

"Down, everyone down, I think they found us," Cappy yelled.

All five flopped over on their sides into a prone position. Each now was in front of a prepared gap in the logs watching again for their antagonists.

"I have three creeping up from my side," Mark said.

"I have two on my side," Michelle said.

"Hold your fire until they get in range," Cappy told them.

The minute Michelle fired Cappy and George popped up to lend supporting fire. Mark and Sue popped up and started firing at their two. Bullets whistled by the five as those who were not immediately hit returned fire. As the last two went down, five more popped up close to them on the other side.

Without thinking, Cappy swung around on them and continued firing. Mark popped back up to lend support. As bullets impacted the logs in front of them, Mark grunted in pain and went down. George reached up and pulled Cappy to the ground.

"What the hell, George!"

"You're hit," George said pointing to Cappy's left shoulder.

"It's a scratch," Cappy replied.

"I'll be the judge of that," Susan scolded. Michelle was working on Mark as Sue worked on Cappy.

George popped up at odd intervals firing into the enemies last known position. The second time he fired they heard a scream. Staying up George hit one more as the group of men jumped up and started running away.

"They're leaving," George said.

Cappy shrugged off Susan and jumped to a standing position. Bring his M4 to his shoulder he fired several bursts at the fleeing men. Three went down under his and George's fire. By the time Cappy had brought his rifle to bear on another target, the group was gone. They had reached the tree line and disappeared into the dense foliage.

"How's Mark?" Cappy asked as he turned to see.

"He'll be," Michelle started, a thunderous volley of rifle fire was heard from the woods, "fine. Now, what the hell was that?"

"Reinforcements," Cappy smiled turning toward the woods.

As he and George watched a group of men and women slowly exited from the woods, their weapons held high in the air. Cappy and the rest relaxed as the group approached them. They were friends. The leader trotted up to the makeshift barricade a smile on his face.

"Cappy, you old dog, figured it was you causing the ruckus up here."

"Hey Cal, hope you got them all? How are you doing by the way? It's been a long time since you came by to visit."

"We got them all. Been meaning to get down your way for the longest time but, I just never seem to have the time. You know how it is?"

"Yep, sure do. You boys can keep their weapons and stuff."

"Thanks. Hey, it seems they got you?"

"Just a scratch."

"It's not a scratch you stubborn old man," Sue told him as she went back to work on his wound.

Cappy smiled as she worked on him. Cal laughed and slapped Cappy on his good shoulder.

"Well, we'll be going Cappy. Next time you come through this way, drop in and visit before you bring a whole group of those into my territory."

"You got it, Cal, next time I know we'll be chased across the countryside by strange men I'll drop in on you and let you know."

"I'm sure you will. Take care Cappy."

"You too Cal," Cappy waved. "Are you about through?"

"All done," replied Sue.

Cappy leaned over and gave her a quick peck on the cheek. She smiled as she put away her supplies.

"And who are you calling an old man?" he asked.

"Buzz off grandpa," Sue told him with a smile on her lips.

"Now is that any way to treat your best patient? How's Mark?"

"Michelle says he'll be fine, just fine. His was only a scratch. When we get home, I'm going to have to take that bullet out of your shoulder. You know that don't you?"

"I figured as much."

Chapter 38

Susan was on her way back from visiting the valley community to the east of theirs. She had been alone when the messenger had shown up at the infirmary. Instead of waking someone, she wrote a note and followed the young man back to the valley.

When she arrived, she found some very sick people. Influenza had swept through the village striking down every three out of four people. Young people seemed to fair the best with little or no symptoms. Most of the adults were down with severe symptoms.

Her counterpart here, an ex-army medic, was suffering from a mild case himself, it had been he who had sent for a Doctor. As Sue checked him over, she smiled down at the young man who had tried his best.

"It's alright Jimmy, you did your best, now it's time for you to rest while I take over." Sue smiled as she pressed a cool wet rag to his forehead.

Jimmy closed his eyes as the cool cloth pressed against his burning eyelids. A smile started at the corners of his mouth in response to Sue's. Sue looked around the makeshift infirmary. Fluids were what the body needed, yet the body made it difficult to keep them down once drank.

She pulled some IV tubes and needles from her pack and took a bag of saline solution from the shelf. She hooked up Jimmy and checked to make sure of the flow of liquid into his vein. She looked in the cupboards in the infirmary trying to find the IV equipment that was supposed to be here. She found one needle and one sterile tube set.

She threw her arms up in disgust. She certainly did not have enough IV equipment to go around. She walked out into the common room of the building that the infirmary was in and found the IV equipment. She found it plugged into the arms of the sickest. Jimmy had set up fifty beds in the common room. Close enough so he could keep an eye on them but far enough away not be in the line of fire.

Sue covered her mouth and nose with a mask as she walked among the sick. Most were old people and all had an IV hanging on a stick attached to the bed. She saw a number of young adults wandering around the room checking on those lying in the beds. They all had masks on like her. She walked over to the one closest to her.

"Excuse me, what is your name miss?"

"I'm Molly and who might you be?"

"I'm Doctor Reynolds from the next valley over. A messenger showed up requesting our help."

"Oh, good Alex made it. Where is the child?"

"I don't know. He dropped me off at the infirmary and disappeared."

"That little snot, he knew he was supposed to tell me when he got back. He's supposed to be working here now. That snarky little child."

Sue laughed as she watched Molly's rage about the young man who had fetched her.

"How many more are sick?"

"Almost every adult is sick and some of the older children. Most of the young children haven't had the slightest symptoms. The older ones who are not sick have been working here to help these poor people and going from house to house to see how the adults are fairing.

"Until yesterday Jimmy was making the rounds of the houses. When Jimmy got sick I told that little snark, Alex, to go get help."

"I see. Well, I think we need to find Alex again. I'm going to need some help and supplies from my people."

"No! Jimmy said that we should only allow one doctor here so as not to contaminate the rest of the state."

"I see. Then do you have a radio I can use to tell my village about the outbreak here?"

"Sure, it's in Jimmy's room against the far wall."

Sue turned and returned to the infirmary. She spotted the radio right off. Taking a seat in front of the unit she turned it on and made sure the dial was set to the correct frequency.

"CQ," she said as she pressed the talk button, "this is lima-six-one-five to base."

Static came from the speaker for an instant, Sue waited for a few minutes.

"CQ, this lima-six-one-five calling base, come in, base."

"This is base, where in the hell are you, Sue?" That was Cappy's voice.

"Echo-four-one-zero, a messenger came, they needed help so I walked over here."

"Without an escort?"

"It's not that far. Listen up Cappy, an epidemic has hit this village. Everyone, except the children, are very, very sick. Do not send anyone here to help. If I need help, I'll call. I am going to need supplies, though. Could you deliver them three hundred meters from the entrance to the village? I'll have someone come out and get them after you leave. If you want you, can drop back two hundred meters and watch but do not try to contact us face to face. You got it Cappy?"

Silence ensued a protracted silence. There must be more people than just Cappy in the radio room.

"Sorry for the delay. Supplies will be there in one hour. Michelle wants to know if it's the flu?"

"Yes, it's the flu. You tell Michelle she is not to come over here. You got that Michelle. None of you are to sneak over here!"

"She heard you, Sue, George said he'll sit on her if necessary. Supplies are being loaded now, they will be there within the hour. You come out to the drop off point with your weapon so we can see you. Do you understand?"

"Yes, no problem. Be there in an hour."

"Why does he want you to go out there to help with the supplies," Molly said as Sue turned the radio off.

"Because he wants to make sure I'm not being held here against my will."

"Who would anyone do such a thing?"

"There are, god help us, people in the world today who would...would do us harm. Why, is any bodies guess? Now, do you have a cart or wagon we can use to get the supplies back here easily?"

"Jimmy's pickup is still working, we could use that."

"Do you know where the keys are?"

"They should be in the truck." Molly shrugged her shoulders and raised her eyebrows at Sue's question.

"Is everything quiet out there Molly?" Sue asked nodding to the common room.

"Yeah, they're all sleeping like babies. They shouldn't wake for another four or so hours. At least that's the pattern it's been the last couple of nights."

"Great. Can I borrow two of your strongest youngsters to give me a hand?"

"As long as you return them to me, 'cuz if you don't they'll disappear like Alex."

"I'll escort them back personally, I promise."

"Sure then go ahead." Molly turned and went out into the common room. Sue could see her wave. A few seconds later there were two tall boys standing in the infirmary.

"Have a seat, we don't have to leave just yet." Sue went over to Jimmy and checked his pulse and fever. "Do you have any aspirin or acetaminophen?"

"Aspirin is all gone. We have some ibuprofen that we have been giving out sparingly."

"I hope Michelle remembers the aspirin. How long have you three been at it here? Today I mean?"

"We just took over from the mid-shift when you got here."

"Have you had anything to eat?"

"No, not yet, dinner will be brought to us by the cook staff. Probably PB and J would be my guess, just like last night." Molly rolled her eyes and stuck out her tongue in disgust.

Sue reached into her pack and pulled the four power bars she always carried and hoped Michelle included them in the supplies as she handed one to each of the kids.

"How are your parents doing?"

"Mine are pretty good, they are fairly young, Sam's are a little older and not doing all the great. Mishca's are really old and in the common room," Molly said around a mouthful of the power bar.

"Mishca, when's the last time you checked on them?"

"Just before I came in here, they are resting. Their fevers are not that high anymore and they drank some water without feeling nauseated."

"Good, that's good to hear."

The four of them sat chewing on their power bars and drinking water that Sue poured from her canteen into plastic cups she found in one of the cupboards. When she finished with her power bar, she rose and checked on Jimmy. He was sleeping and his IV was flowing nicely.

"Okay you two, time to go." Sue waved the two boys ahead of her as she picked up her rifle and radio following them out the door. The boys led her to the truck parked on the side of the building. Sue climbed in the driver's side as the boys climbed in the back.

"Oh, goody, stick," Susan, said.

"Is that a problem Doctor?"

"No Mishca, no problem, just sit down in the bed so I don't throw you out."

"Oh boy, I guess we're in for a rough ride," Mishca said as he slid down into the bed of the truck.

Sue started the engine and depressed the clutch, shifting the gears into what she hoped was first. She slowly let the clutch out while lightly pressing the throttle. The truck bucked once, then she pressed the throttle harder and the truck jerked forward, smoothing out as it gained more speed. She drove to the meeting place in first gear.

"That wasn't so bad," she said to herself looking in the rearview mirror she saw Mishca and Sam plastered against the tailgate. "Sorry," she shouted to them.

When they arrived, there was a pile of supplies at the side of the road. Sue pressed the clutch in and applied the brakes sliding to a stop next to the supplies.

"Can I drive back to the village?" Mishca asked from his prone position on the truck bed.

"You can drive stick?" Sue asked getting out of the truck.

"Sure can. Jimmy lets me drive when we have a patient in the back while he watches over them."

"Oh. Sure, you can drive back then."

"Sierra one-one-five come in."

"I'm fine Cappy, Mark. See." Susan answered the radio call waving her rifle in the air.

"Good, who's that with you? Is that the Leffler boy?" Sam nodded.

"Yes, it is."

"Tell him to say hello to his parents for me."

"You just did. Are you satisfied now?"

"Yes. You take care, Doctor Reynolds, understand?"

"Yes, yes I do. Tell Mark, I love him."

"You just did. We'll keep an overwatch on you while you load up."

"Affirmative. Okay boys, let's start loading the truck."

For the next twenty minutes, the three of them loaded the supplies at the side of the road into the truck. When they were finally finished, Mishca climbed in the driver's seat and started the truck.

"All right we'll be going now. I'll be back as soon as I can. I don't know how long this will last or how rough it's going to get. And no matter what, do not, under any circumstances, send anyone here for at least four weeks.

"If we need more supplies we'll call. I will call every night at nine sharp so be listening. Hopefully, I'll see you all soon."

"Affirmative. Good luck, Mark says he loves you."

"Out."

"Who's Mark?" Mishca asked as Sue climbed in the passenger side.

"My husband."

"Oh. Lucky man."

"Why thank you Mishca but...never mind. Drive, we have a lot of work ahead of us," Sue said, hoping the darkness of night hides her face, blushing a deep red from embarrassment.

Mishca put Sue's driving to shame as he smoothly accelerated around in a circle and shifted gears heading back the way they had come. They pulled up in front of the infirmary a couple of minutes later and started to unload the truck.

After storing the supplies and Michelle had sent two bottles of aspirin, Susan flopped down on the cot on the other side of the infirmary and promptly fell asleep.

~~~ [time] ~~~

For the next two weeks, Sue along with the children of the village worked hard and long to care for the sick adults. Taking all the precaution, she could think of, not to catch this virulent virus that had overtaken this village so quickly, Sue was fortunate not to have contracted the disease.

On the other hand, she may have just been lucky enough that it had run its course just before she showed up. In any event, the population started to feel better and only one person, an aged lady who had been in bad health anyway, had died.

In the third week, Jimmy was feeling like his old self and was up out of bed, despite Susan's orders, to help take care of the few remaining patients. Those last few had been moved down to the community center as space became available. Susan and Jimmy took turns looking after them. The children still showed up every day to help. Molly and Mishca made sure they were always there when Sue was on watch.

"Listen you two, it has been wonderful working with you. You two will make wonderful medic or doctors someday." Sue praised the two youngsters.

"It has been a pleasure working with you, Doctor," Molly said. "I will miss you when you leave."

"I will miss you too Molly." Sue stepped forward and hugged Molly kissing her on the cheek. Molly blushed as Susan released her.

"I will miss you too Doctor," Mishca said.

Sue looked at him and smiled. She stepped forward and hugged him tightly. His arms came up to wrap around her as she kissed him on the cheek. His hug was so tight Sue found it hard to breathe.

"Mishca, loosen your grip before I suffocate," Sue admonished him. His grip loosened immediately. Sue kissed his cheek again. Then took his face in her hands and kissed his forehead. He tried to kiss her on the lips but Sue avoided his attempts and wiggled out of his grasp.

"Mishca, stop!" Molly spoke harshly.

"But she is so beautiful," Mishca replied blushing a deep red.

Sue smiled also blushing and began gathering her things. As she stuffed them in her pack, Molly and Mishca went over Jimmy's notes about the patients in the common room.

"Well, I'll be going...I'll have someone drop off some supplies for you all to tide you over until you can all get back to work."

"I wish you could stay," Mishca said.

"Mishca, I can't, I have a husband and four children to look after. I miss them dearly. I will miss you and Molly but my home is there, not here."

Just then, the Mayor of the Village walked into the infirmary. He looked around, then spotting Sue and the youngsters walked over to them.

"Doctor, I want to extend my personal thanks to you for watching over us. And you two youngsters why aren't you in scho..."

"Mayor, I would like to thank you for your thanks but, without these youngsters what I did could have turned out a lot different. Without their help, many of your citizens may have died. And I would appreciate it if you cut my friends a little slack."

The mayor stood there with his mouth open not knowing what to say for the first time in his life. Susan just stood there smiling at him as she shouldered her pack and picked up her rifle. She pulled the bolt back and chambered a round. The noise snapped the mayor out of his shock.

"We don't allow loaded weapons within the village..."

"That's fine, I'm leaving." Sue turned to go then whirled back facing the Mayor. "Without weapons how do you defend yourselves?"

"The police have weapons."

"I see, so only the police have a right to defend themselves?"

"No, the police defend us all."

"Is there a cop here now?" Susan asked as she pointed her rifle at the mayor and put her finger on the trigger.

"What are you doing? You wouldn't?"

Sue squeezed the trigger, the mayor saw her finger clench and ducked behind his arm.

"BANG," yelled Susan laughing. "See, a lot of good your police did, seeing as how most of them are still in bed with the fucking flu you idiot."

1...2223242526...28