OFM 02 - Jack O'hara - One for a Kill

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,088 Followers

"We must," I said forcefully.

Denise slumped against me hugging herself. Marie stood up and went up stairs. I just sat there. I was exhausted and in need of some sleep.

Chapter 7

Marie had left to cover Denise's shift, but not until the clinic had called. Denise was sitting on the couch, still hugging herself. I had been outside walking Rudy. When we came back in, Denise stood and came to me. I wrapped her in my arms, holding her shaking body close to mine.

"Why don't you go up and change," I told her.

"Of course," she replied, pushing back from me.

She looked up into my eyes, gave me a weak smile and turned. She ran up the stairs, stomping her feet. She was angry. Why? I hoped it wasn't me who made her that way. I stood there looking at the stairs awhile. When I heard the shower running, I sat back down on the couch to think.

I had one name. A name that had surprised me. He had once been a friend. A long time ago. Connor MacDonald. Once a small time hood. Now a known figure in the Irish mob. Over the years, he had worked his way up to second or third in line for the top spot. He had been ruthless in his pursuit. He had also been ultra careful about keeping himself clean. Not even a misdemeanor on his record.

It looked as if he had gotten just a little careless in his old age. Leaving his name on an email to a convicted felon wasn't like him. Once I got Denise settled down, I would have a little talk with my old friend. A serious talk. My train of thought was interrupted by Denise coming down the stairs. She had calmed down.

"What am I going to do?" she asked plopping down on the couch next to me.

"About what?" I knew what she meant, but did she?

"I have people trying to kill me."

"You do and that's why I'm here, to keep you from getting killed."

"I know. I know. Why are they trying to kill me?" She shuddered as she asked that question.

"Again, that's what I'm here for." She looked at me, tilted her head to the side, blinked and then smiled.

"I guess you are," she said.

"I am."

"Oh god! I have to call mom..."

"Not just yet, Denise. Everyone must think you are dead."

"Why? Surely my mom isn't a suspect?"

"She isn't, but no telling who she might speak to and spill the beans, so to speak."

"But..."

"I must stress this. The people who love you will be just as relieved when you do call them as they would be if you do it now. So please, just leave those that know to Jimmy, Marie, me, Rudy and you."

"Don't forget the two officers, they probably noticed I wasn't home."

"There is that, but Jimmy will keep them quiet. I guess I had better call him back before I get some sleep."

"Sleep? I'll be alone down here..."

"Rudy will be here. He will watch over you..."

"Right..."

"He will die for you Denise, if I tell him to." She looked shocked. "Rudy, protect," I said pointing at Denise. Rudy barked once, then came over and sat a Denise's feet. "He will stay there until you move, then he will follow you wherever you go. If someone does show up that shouldn't be here, he will keep them at bay until I get down here. Baring that, he will eliminate any threat to you."

"That's why you sent him upstairs with me and Bill, just in case..."

"...in case Bill tried anything he shouldn't. Rudy would have attacked him, if he had laid a hand on you. Might even have killed him to protect you."

"My god," she croaked.

"Now I need to call Jimmy."

"I'm hungry, would you like breakfast?" Denise asked.

"That would be nice."

"You stay here and call Jimmy. I'll call when breakfast is ready."

"Great," I said pulling my phone from my pocket. I dialed Jimmy's private number.

"Jimmy, Jack."

"You sure took your time," growled Jimmy.

I know, I know, sorry. Did the two officers get hurt?"

"No. Bill and Jameson are just fine. Ringing in their ears, but that serves them right for letting someone get close enough to plant those explosives..."

"That bomb was probably planted long before they took up their post."

"You think?"

"Yes. I think. Glad to hear those two are unharmed."

"Thanks. What now?"

"I have a lead to track down, I'll let you know how that works out later today. In the mean time, I'll let you do what you do best, police work."

"Gee thanks. All right I'll get to it. You be careful my friend."

"I will, buddy. I will." I flipped my phone closed.

"It's ready," Denise yelled from the kitchen.

Breakfast was good. Eggs, bacon, toast.

Chapter 8

"Denise?"

"Yes."

"Where is your cell phone?"

"Upstairs. Why?"

"Is it on?"

"Not at the moment. I turned it off last night."

"Would you go get it, please. And don't turn it on, please."

"No problem." She went upstairs. She was back in seconds. "Here you go," she said handing me the phone.

I took it from her and it suddenly started to ring. We both looked at it. The screen said the number was blocked. I smashed the phone on the counter in front of me. The back popped off and the battery went flying across the kitchen.

"Shit!" I yelled.

"What?"

"They turned it on and called. They know where the phone is and assume you are with it. They know you are alive. Shit!," I croaked. "Go up, get dressed and pack what you brought with you. We have to be gone in ten minutes or sooner. Go. Hurry."

Wide eyed, Denise ran upstairs. I hurriedly cleared the dishes off the counter. Then I got my coat, slipped my gun from the inside pocket and checked the load out. Bullets. I put it back in the pocket just as Denise came running down the stairs.

"What are we going to do?" she asked.

"Get the hell out of here. Then go see someone about this. Call Jimmy. Call Marie."

Denise nodded, not really understanding what I had just told her. We went out, climbed into my car and drove off. As I was turning the corner at the end of the block I thought I caught a glimpse of a black SUV rounding the far corner. At the next street I turned right, went half way down and parked.

"What?"

"Just checking," I told Denise as I watched the rearview mirror. Nothing. We were clear.

I pulled away and drove out of the subdivision at a sedate pace, following the speed limit. Nothing draws more attention than a speeding car. For that matter slow cars also draw attention. Cars doing the speed limit rarely are seen and never remembered.

"Where are we going? " Denise asked.

"I have a place not too far from here...no not my house, they're probably watching it. A little get away place," I told her taking my phone from my pocket.

I dialed Marie.

"Marie, Jack. Listen, don't go home tonight. There may be unpleasant people waiting for you. Do you have someplace to go?"

"What? Uh, yeah, I'll go stay with my mom."

"Great, I'll call you later to let you know what's going on. I have to call Jimmy now. We'll talk later." I hung up and dialed Jimmy.

The conversation with Jimmy was a little longer. I told him about the phone call and the black SUV I thought I saw. I told him Marie wouldn't be home tonight and that he might want to send the SWAT team over as soon as he could. He agreed. We ended the conversation with me promising to call him back later.

It took half an hour to get to my get away place. It was a little cabin on a nearby lake. It didn't look like much on the outside, but it was all decked out on the inside. Denise gasped when she stepped through the doorway.

"My god, this is beautiful," she said in hushed tones.

It was a little five room cabin. Kitchen, dining room combination, living room, two bedrooms and a bathroom. Hard wood floors with throw rugs. Overstuffed furniture and queen size beds. Rudy went right to the fire place and laid down. Denise stood in the middle of the cabin and turned round and round. I took her suitcase from her and put it in the extra bedroom.

"We have to go. We have a man to see about a contract."

"Okay, but should I go with you?"

"From this point on, we don't leave each other's side. Do you know how to handle a gun?"

"Huh? Yes. Marie taught me."

"Good."

I went to the gun safe standing in the corner of the living room. I unlocked it and opened the door.

"Come here Denise." I motioned her over. "Let me see your hand...hmmm...here, this should fit your hand." I pulled a small Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 automatic from the shelf inside the safe and handed it to her. I pulled two clips from the same shelf. The gun was small enough to fit her delicate hand the recoil was minimal.

Denise hefted the automatic in her small delicate hand. "I've never shot anyone," she said as she checked the safety.

"I didn't expect you had," I said chuckling. "The question is, if you were in danger could you shoot someone?"

"I don't know. The other night when you shot that man at my house. I was scared to death when I heard the noise of that first gunshot."

"I saw that. I was surprised when you said you could handle a gun. Have you ever shot one?"

"Yes. Marie took me target shooting on her father's farm."

"How did you do?"

"All in the ten ring."

"Very good. What range?"

"Seven to ten yards. Then out to twenty-five yards."

"What kind of gun?"

"Nine millimeter. Glock, I think. I don't remember the model."

"One thing to remember...paper targets don't shoot back."

"There is that."

"Okay, load up. We have an old friend of mine to see."

"Ready," she said, as she jammed the clip into the handle of the gun, pulling back on the slide to put one in the chamber. I had just created a monster?

Chapter 9

I had Denise ride in back so Rudy could ride up front. Anyone seeing me out and about would look for Rudy in his favorite position.

"You okay back there?" I asked her.

"Sure, no problem. Should I duck so any of your lady friends won't see you have another girl in your car?" She giggled.

"Would you, it would be so much easier to explain why I didn't stop if they don't know about you," I said my voice dripping with sarcasm.

She just harrumphed. I chuckled. Rudy yawned. Then both Denise and I were laughing. A block before we arrived at Connor MacDonald's place I called Jimmy.

"Jimmy, Jack, I'll be seeing Connor MacDonald in a few minutes, if you don't hear from me in an hour come running."

"Your what?"

"His name was on one of the emails to Doctor Reynolds. I'm going to have a little chat with him."

"No you're not..."

"I'm here, I'm going in, one hour, come and save me."

"Shit, shit, shit...fine. One hour. Where is Doc Reynolds?"

"She's safe."

"Damn it Jack! Fine, you have one hour." He hung up on me. I chuckled.

"Here we go. You stick to me like glue. You have our backs. Your focus is what's behind us. If it has a gun in its hand..."

"Shoot it?"

"Right." I gunned the engine, the car surged forward. I swung the car up into the drive of Connor's house.

I opened the driver's door and Rudy scuttled out past me. I pulled the seat forward to let Denise out of the backseat. Rudy was waiting at the front door. As we got there it opened. Rudy was inside before the guy who opened the door could slam it shut. He disappeared. I pushed the door open and followed Rudy in. On the floor inside Rudy had a hold of the guys right arm. There was a gun on the floor. I picked up the gun.

"Rudy, out!" I said calmly. Rudy let go and backed away. A noise further in the house alerted him. He was gone. I smacked the guy on the floor in the head with his gun. He was out for the count.

I followed the noise of Rudy disarming everyone in the house. He finally stopped somewhere upstairs.

"Jack, call your dog off." Came the voice, full of fear, of Connor MacDonald.

I took the stairs two at a time. Denise was right behind me. We passed three men on our way up to the third floor. I cold cocked them as we passed them. The third floor was a small office. Connor was pinned against the wall, Rudy pressing as hard as he could to keep him there.

"Jack, he's crushing me here," Connor pleaded.

There were two guys rolling on the floor. One was holding his right hand, the other his crotch. I chuckled at Connor's predicament. Denise just stayed behind me, watching our backs.

"If you wanted to talk to me all you had to do is call," Connor croaked.

"Rudy, out. Watch. Protect."

Rudy pushed off Connor causing him to grunt. Then sat about two feet away.

"What..."

"Shut up Connor. You're in a heap of shit."

"What do you mean buddy?"

"Splash431," was all I said. The look on his face told the story. He never expected to hear that name in reference to himself.

"Who?"

"Connor. Give me some credit."

His head dropped. I didn't have to see his face. He was plotting on how to get out of this. His head came up fast. He might have made if I wasn't ready for him. The barrel of the gun in my hand was pressed against his forehead. He gulped as the cold metal pressed into his flesh.

"Jack?"

"Hands on your head, Connor, slowly. And you're lucky. Rudy would have killed you."

"And you're not?"

"I came for answers..."

"Jack these guys are starting to move," Denise said.

"If they get up shoot them in the knees."

"Right."

"Whose your friend Jack?"

"I guess you two should be introduced. Connor MacDonald meet Denise Reynolds, Doctor Denise Reynolds. Denise, meet Connor MacDonald, better known as user splash431."

"The guy who arranged to have me killed?" She was facing Connor for the first time. Her gun was now pressed to his chest, dead square over his heart.

"Easy there darling..." Connor started to say.

There was a soft noise behind us. Denise spun, fired and had the barrel back pressed into Connor's chest. He didn't say a word. I looked behind me and the guy nearest us had a small hole in his right knee. He was screaming silently, holding his wounded leg.

"Good shot Denise," I told her.

She puffed up her chest at my praise. Connor looked at me with fear in his eyes.

"Now Connor, I need some information from you..."

"I don't know anything..."

"Bullshit, Connor. Who hired you to arrange her death?"

"I can't...I don't know."

"Connor," I said. Denise's gun firing startled me.

Connor slid down the wall a look of pure horror on his face. He started to scream in pain as he crumpled on the floor, holding his left knee. I looked over my shoulder at Denise. She was smiling as she stepped forward and pressed her gun to Connor's other knee.

"Who hired you dirt bag," she shouted.

Chapter 10

"Oh Jesus. Oh fuck that hurts. You fucking crazy ass bitch..."

Denise wacked him in the head with her gun. Hard enough to cause him much pain, yet soft enough not to knock him out.

"Who hired you asshole? Or do you want the other knee ruined?"

"Jack, Jack, I can't, I really can't. They'll kill me..."

"So will I asshole," Denise shouted, pressing her gun into his temple.

"Oh god...Jack, please," Connor begged.

"Connor, you'll have to deal with her, not me. It is, after all, her who you contracted to kill."

"No, I'm just a middle man. The Russians, shit!"

"So Kolinsky. He's more Polish than Russian."

"You didn't hear that from me, please."

"So, how was it handled? Computer?"

"Hell no, face to face."

"Kolinsky came to you?"

"He did. He said this was big and hush, hush."

"Did he tell you why?" I asked not really expecting an answer.

"No, not really. Just that she had seen something, someone, had something, hell I don't know. Just she knew something she wasn't supposed to know."

"Denise?" I asked. She looked at me and shrugged her shoulders.

"Connor, I guess you know better than to warn Kolinsky? If he doesn't kill you I will."

"I know, I know as long as you don't tell him I gave him up."

"I won't." I lied.

Rudy growled again. I turned and shot the second guy in the knee. His scream filled the house. We heard running men as they rushed up the stairs. Denise kept her gun pressed firmly to Connor's chest.

"Connor, call them off." Rudy was growling at the doorway, warning those out in the hall he was in here. I chuckled at his bravado.

"Everyone lay down you weapons and leave," Connor shouted. "I'm okay, just some friends."

Listening, I shook my head at the dead silence coming from the hallway.

"Leave now or I'll come out there and beat the shit out of everyone of you," Connor shouted. "Move," he shouted again.

The noise in the hall was loud as the men moved away. Rudy, listened, then sat watching the doorway.

"We're going now, Connor. Sorry about the knee, but you take up a contract, expect repercussions."

"Hey, no hard feelings. After all you didn't shoot me, she did," Connor replied staring angrily at Denise.

"And I'll do it again if you darken my life with you foul presence," she told him whacking him in the head with her gun. Connor went down. He hit the floor hard. I looked at Denise and shook my head, who talks like that?

"Connor, don't send anyone after us, you got that?"

"A promise is a promise..."

"Bullshit. You send them, they won't be coming back. Got it?"

"Yeah, yeah, I got it."

"Good. Denise, we're leaving. You have our backs again." I signaled Rudy on ahead of us.

I ducked out the door. I could feel Denise behind me. We were out the front door and in the car in minutes. Nobody chased us. Once we were out of the neighborhood I started to relax. A little.

"Who the hell is Kolinsky?" Denise asked.

"Mid-level management in the Russian mob," I told her.

It had been about twenty hours since I slept last. I was exhausted.

"Now we eat then I sleep. I'm too tired to put up with Kolinsky's antics today."

"Won't MacDonald tell him you're coming?"

"Of course."

"But he promised!"

"I'll shoot him later for that," I told her chuckling.

"No, I get to do that," she said sternly an evil glint in her eyes.

I nodded. I watched the rearview mirror the whole way, nadda. Nobody following us. I turned down the road to the cabin. There was a car parked in the drive. I stopped short. I didn't recognize the car.

"Marie's mom's car," Denise said.

"Shit! How did she find this place?" I yelled. I was angry.

"I don't know. Let's go ask her."

Crap. How did she find us. I turned into the drive, pulled into the carport in the back of the cabin. When I opened the door Rudy charged into the house. When I stepped in he was on the couch, licking Marie's face and wagging his tail so hard it was slapping loudly against the leather upholstery.

"How did you find this place?" I asked softly, pushing Rudy out of the way.

"It was listed in your med records as an alternate address." Marie told me wiping her face.

"I don't remember..."

"You gave it to me. I remember now. You said it was a just in case address. I only put it in my notes. Not in the public record."

I grunted as I closed the door. Hopefully, no one else could access Denise's notes.

"Marie, go pull your car into the carport in back. Just follow the tire tracks. I don't want to advertise anyone is here."

"Sure, be right back," she said heading for the door with her keys.

"Denise, I'm going to bed," I told her. She nodded as she sank down onto the couch.

Chapter 11

I stripped down and slipped between the sheets. I was asleep before my head hit the pillow. A short time later or hours later, I felt someone join me. The body that touched mine was also naked. I just groaned and dropped off to sleep once again.

I was climbing up out of the darkness, knowing I had been asleep for a very long time. The naked body was still there as I became aware of my surroundings. I moaned when I moved. I hurt all over. I had been lying in one place for...what...hours, days? The warmth of the person next to me felt good. The smooth, soft skin also felt good.

She moaned as she stirred next to me. I thought it was Marie, yet it could be Denise. Until I saw a face or hair, it was hard to tell them apart. I started to roll over, but a hand on my back stopped me. Her arm slipped under my neck, her lips pressed to my skin on my neck. Her other hand slowly moved up over my waist. Her hand was flat against my abdomen. She moaned. The hand on my stomach pressed in firmly.

Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,088 Followers