OFM 02 - Jack O'hara - One for a Kill

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You know, I'm wondering. Two people have seen Denise since her death. I really hope no one has called Jeff and told him she's alive," Jimmy mused.

"I don't think any who have seen her know Jeff was the one who contracted the hit with them. I know Kolinsky said he didn't. Everything was done via computer. Where is Jeff staying?"

"Um...that little motel on Ridge at fifth along Interstate 495. Why?"

"Do you know if it has WiFi or a internet cafe on premises?" I asked.

"I doubt it. But all he would need is a cell phone he could tether to his laptop."

"His laptop was in the house when we left. Which I thought funny him going on a business trip and all," Denise said joining us.

"So as far as you know, he doesn't have a computer with him?" I asked her.

"No. Unless he bought one since I died." Denise chuckled at that phrase.

"Let's hope he hasn't been in touch with Kolinsky. I don't think he knows about the others."

"Let's hope. I'll bet he left his laptop in the house because he knew it would be destroyed in the explosion. Evidence to his conspiracy gone in the blast."

"Could be. Or the evidence is on the flash drive," Marie added. "Are we going?"

Nodding, I opened the door and we left. Five minutes later, I pulled into my driveway, through the gate and into the garage. I opened the other door for Jimmy to pull into. He arrived not twenty seconds after me. I closed the gate. Then the garage doors. Everyone got out of the cars and headed inside.

"In the den, computer in there," I said leading them through the house.

"Holy shit," Denise said as she looked around.

"Yeah, holy shit," Marie said. "The this and that does pay well."

Jimmy chuckled. In the den, I started up my laptop. This one was set up special for investigative work. I logged in, turned and stuck out my hand for the flash drive. Marie handed it me. I slipped it into the slot. Two seconds later a window came up.

"What's that?" Marie asked.

"It's telling me that there is an autostart file."

"What does that do?"

"Probably erases the flash drive. But we can sidestep that."

I clicked on the abort button and the window closed. Opening file manager, I clicked on the flash drive. There was a lot of data. All spreadsheets. All the filenames were dates.

I double clicked on the first one which had a date of last week. The spreadsheet opened.

"Holy shit," I whispered. Everyone else was silent.

I scrolled down the page. I knew every name in the list. There were hundreds of names. To the right of each name was a dollar amount. Some were big, but most were just small, less than ten thousand dollars.

"Hey, Jimmy, your name is in here," I said.

"Bullshit!" he yelled.

"It is. The notation to the right is "must have replaced", good thing the mayor's name isn't in here or you might have been."

"They'll replace me when I'm dead."

"Maybe that's what this means," I said pointing at the remark on the screen.

"I better watch my back. Is your name in there."

"No, of course not."

"Is Jeff's?" Denise asked. I grimaced.

"It is."

"How much?" You could hear her teeth grinding.

"Twenty-five thousand a month," I croaked.

"Fucking bastard," she growled.

Chapter 19

"Where is all that money coming from?" Marie asked.

"Good question, good question," I said scrolling to the bottom of the sheet, where a whole bunch of new names appeared.

"These are businesses in Orchard Falls and elsewhere. There must be a thousand businesses listed here. And look at those amounts that are being funneled into...what?"

"There must be a list of banks where the money is kept," Jimmy said. "Scroll up."

I scrolled up and kept scrolling, until a break in the list of companies flashed by. There were the banks along with account numbers. And each account number had an amount next to it. There was millions of dollars in those back accounts.

"Holy shit," Jimmy whispered. "What is all that money for?"

"Another good question. Who do we ask about it though?" I kept scrolling up.

Then, there at the top of the list of banks was a block of text. Everyone leaned in to read it. It was very simple and not to elegant. Someone was running a ponzi scheme. A very lucrative ponzi scheme from the looks of it. It appeared the businesses contributed money to the scheme and the individuals reaped the benefits. The individuals all worked at the corporation or owned significant portions of them. Who the hell talked these jokers into this?

"Who talked these idiots into this?" Marie asked. I turned and looked at her. She winked at me.

"Whose name is at the top of the list or gets the biggest payout?" Jimmy asked.

I scrolled to the top of the list. I knew the name. He was also getting the biggest monthly payout.

"Looks like we have our man. He is a smooth talker," Jimmy growled. "I can't wait to put him in the box."

"Yes. I'd like to be there when you do, but Denise and I have a date with the second guy on the list. And you, Chief Stanton, might want to get a court order freezing those accounts before someone drains them."

"Which Judge isn't on the list?" he asked.

"Just a minute," I told him as I copied all the spreadsheets onto my hard drive.

Then I ran a program that would consolidate them in to a searchable database. I then looked at the columns that were created and found one labeled occupation. How convenient. I plugged in a query where occupation was equal to judge. Ten names appeared.

"Looks like Steinberg is the is the only one not listed. Let me query by name."

I put in the judges name and hit return. An empty list came up on my screen.

"Yep, Steinberg it is."

Jimmy nodded and turned to leave.

"Are you going to be back when we go see Mr. Reynolds?" I asked.

"You bet. Call me and let me know where."

"We will," Marie shouted after him. "Where and when will we be meeting Mr. Asshole?"

"I was thinking tonight at the burned out hulk of the home he shared with the women he wanted dead."

"Yes," Denise hissed from across the room. "Fucking bastard. He deserves to die a long an horrible death."

Marie went to her side. Denise was shaking with rage. A rage I had never seen in her eyes since I've known her. She also had tears streaming down her face. I just stood there, my gut all jumbled up, as I watched the woman I felt something for, hurt.

"How are we going to get the bastard to the what used to be my house?" Denise asked sobbing on Marie's shoulder.

"I thought that you would ask him to meet you there because you have something he wants."

"Won't he think it's a trap?" Marie said.

"I suppose. We'll just have to entice him. Denise will tell him she read the files and that she is going to turn them over to the authorities."

"That'll get him there, with whatever he calls a posse," Marie told me.

"Looking at those names in the list, I doubt anyone there would lift a finger to be exposed to actual harm. Of course he could hire Kolinsky and his thugs. But a call to him from me will put the kibosh on that. No, Jeff will come alone just to see if he can talk his way out of this problem."

"What time do you want him there?" Denise asked her voice catching in her throat just a little.

"I figure nine tonight. That should make it dark enough for him not to be able to see me or Marie or Jimmy."

"Will we be the only three there?" Marie asked.

"Yes and no. Jimmy will have several officers from the tactical squad hidden around the neighborhood."

"When do you want me to call him?" Denise croaked.

"As soon as I talk to Kolinsky."

Denise pushed Marie away, got to her feet and walked over to me. Looking up into my eyes, she grabbed my head and pulled my lips down to hers. I didn't resist or stop her this time.

Chapter 20

We were in position long before Jeff was to show up. Kolinsky was now actually in jail. Jimmy had him pickup up for handling the contract on Denise. I didn't know if Jeff knew any of the others that handled the contract, so we were taking a chance not having the tac-team closer. Denise and I were behind the Campbell's house waiting. Marie was, with Jimmy, behind the house across the street. Jimmy had my sniper rifle, just in case.

At nine sharp, an SUV turned into the driveway of the burnt out house. Headlights glaring, three people got out of the car. I laughed. It was Jeff and two old men. Denise stepped out from behind the house. No one noticed her until she was in front of the SUV.

"You fucking bastard," Denise yelled at him.

"Now Denise..."

"Shut the fuck up asshole. You paid someone to have me killed. All because you thought I might have seen the bullshit on this flash drive." She held up a flash drive. It was an exact duplicate of the one he had sent her.

"Ah, you have it. Did you look at it? Did you plug it into a computer?" He seemed anxious about it being plugged into a computer.

All the while the three of them were concentrating on Denise, I crept around the other side of the car to come up behind them.

"Another SUV just pulled up, down the street, lights off." Jimmy's voice whispered in my ear.

"10-4," I answer whispering.

"I'm having the tac-team take them out."

I was now behind Jeff. The two old men were standing behind the door on the passenger side. Denise moved closer to Jeff. He stood there. Looking down I could see the gun in his hand. As his hand started to come up, I stepped in and put my gun in his ear. He froze.

"Nice and easy, hand me the gun over your left shoulder," I told him quietly.

He slowly handed me the gun. I took it and tossed it behind me.

"You two," I shouted at the two old men. They both jumped at finding someone this close to them. One reached into his coat. The window of the SUV shattered from a gunshot. He jumped, but put his hands up. "Around out in the headlights," I told them.

"So, she did bring help," Jeff said, sounding like he expected help himself.

"The group you left up the street are now in police custody," I told him . His body jerked with the knowledge that no help was coming. "We also have everything that was on the flash drive. Everything. The cleaner program was really easy to bypass."

"Denise," Jeff called out.

She was right in front of him, her gun in his face.

"What asshole?" she growled at him.

"Dear, Denise, I did everything for you, for us..."

"Oh do shut the fuck up dickhead or I might just shoot you in the fucking head."

Suddenly, Marie was there, kicking him in the balls. He hit the ground like a ton of bricks.

"Do you need me down there Jack?" Jimmy asked.

"No, we're okay here. Keep an eye on the geriatric pair though."

"10-4"

"You motherfucker," Marie shouted, kicking Jeff in the ribs. He went to grab her leg. Denise's gun went off, plowing a divot in the concrete next to his head.

"Don't you dare," Denise growled.

Jeff collapsed. He knew it was over, he was on his way to jail.

"You two, hands on the hood," I told the old geezers.

I frisked them. Only one had a gun. An old Smith & Wesson .38 Combat Masterpiece. Good gun in its day. Suddenly, Jimmy was there and squad cars were arriving from every direction.

"It's over Jack. Why don't you take the ladies home."

"Denise no longer has a home Jimmy."

"Sorry."

"No problem. Could you see that Marie gets home?"

"Sure, no problem. Go."

I walked to Denise. Took her hand in mine. She looked up, tears running down her cheeks.

"Come with me dear...it's over."

"I know. I'm glad. If I had known..."

"I know. Come."

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"My place."

"The cabin?"

"If you want."

"I do. I love that place. Where's Rudy?"

"He's in the car going crazy because he can't protect us from there."

Denise laughed, tears still streaking her face, as we walked down the block were my car was parked. Marie called after us, but I saw Jimmy divert her, asking her questions. I smiled as I put my arm around Denise. She leaned into me.

Chapter 21

We arrived at the cabin. Rudy was very happy to be back. He went running off into the field behind the cabin. Inside, I closed the door and took Denise in my arms and just hugged her. She hugged me back, fiercely.

"Jack," she said and seemed to be able to go no farther.

"Denise," I said back. I pushed her back and looked deep into her green eyes. She smiled.

"I need a shower, first dibs," she said giggling running toward the bathroom.

I laughed. Then Rudy was scratching at the backdoor. I went, looked out the peep hole and let him in. As I closed the door and the latch caught, there was a hard thump against it. Rudy growled softly. His signal that someone who shouldn't be, was out there. I flip the monitor on. Sure enough, there was someone out there.

I picked up the phone and called Jimmy. I knew the county sheriff was useless along with being on the list from Jeff.

"Jimmy, I'm at the cabin. I have multiple unknowns around my place. I need help."

"Be there in five."

"Bring the swat team."

"Oh I will."

I went to the gun safe. All I had in there were two SIG 226 9mms. I pulled both out and loaded them up. Rudy was growling louder. Then I heard the bathroom window break and Denise was next to me naked as the day she was born. I handed her the other SIG.

"What's going on?" she whispered.

"People outside. Jimmy is on the way. Are you okay?"

"I was just stepping out when the rock came through the window."

I watched the monitor, when what I wanted to watch was dripping on the living room floor. We waited. Denise started shivering.

"You cold?"

"No, just nervous and maybe a little scared."

"Yeah, me too."

Then the backdoor flew open and Rudy was out. You could hear where he was by the screams coming from outside. Then there were gun shots. I just hoped none of them hit Rudy. Then I heard a lot of gunfire. There was a lot of shouting too. Then Rudy was back inside where he turned and put himself between Denise, me and what might come through the door.

The commotion outside died down. A shadow filled the doorway. Rudy growled. I started to laugh. It was Jimmy all dressed up in swat gear. Probably the first time he had worn it in ages. I climbed to my feet and his flashlight flared striking me in the face.

"Jimmy lower that damn thing."

"Are you okay buddy? Is Doctor Reynolds okay?"

"I will be when you turn that light out and I can get to my clothes," Denise growled from behind me.

"Sorry Denise," Jimmy said turning his back to her.

"So who were they?"

"There were six. Five sheriffs deputies and Kolinsky's right hand man. We got the lot."

"How about the Sheriff?"

"We got him earlier in the day. We didn't know which of his deputies were in on it."

"Looks like all of them."

"That it does. I'll be notifying the Governor that the State Police will have to patrol here until a new sheriff can be elected and deputies hired. "

"I'm dressed now Jimmy," Denise told him after coming back from the bathroom.

"Sorry, Denise."

"No problem. Jack, maybe we should go to your house in town. It's a little breezy in here now."

"I was thinking the same thing." I went and locked the gun safe. It was basically empty, except for ammunition. "I'll call Billy over at the Fix-a-Door to come fix this place up."

"Do you trust him," Denise asked looking around at all the expensive furniture and things.

"I do." I knew Jimmy would have someone wait until Billy showed up to keep my things safe.

That settled that. We hauled the bags out to my car. I shooed Rudy into the backseat. He wasn't happy, but I wasn't going to let Denise sit back there. We pulled into the drive at my place fifteen minutes later and I pressed the button to open the gate. I drove up to the house, closing the gate behind us. I pulled into the garage and closed the door behind us. Opening my door, I was almost knocked down by Rudy hurrying past me. I went around and helped Denise out of the car.

We grabbed our bags out of the trunk and headed inside. Rudy, hurried to his door to the outside world and charged through it. Denise followed me into the living room, where I put the bag of guns down by the gun safe. Kneeling down, I opened the safe and took the guns out of the bag and put them away. Turning to Denise I motioned for her to hand me the gun she was using.

"Not yet. This stays by my side until I feel safe, really safe," she said softly.

"All right. Just be careful..."

"I will dear, I will."

I kept mine too. I knew what she was feeling. I felt that it was not quite over yet. Standing I pulled Denise to me, wrapping my arms around her. She wrapped hers around me. We stood there, just enjoying the warmth from each other's bodies. Then Rudy was there pressing against both of us, wanting to share in the moment. I scratched the back of his head.

"Go lay down," I said softly, pointing at the fireplace.

He gave a little whine, but went and laid down. I took Denise's hand in mine and led her up stairs. I still needed a shower. I led her to my bedroom.

"Make yourself at home, I'll be right out," I told her.

"Okay," she said looking around the room.

Chapter 22

I went into the bathroom and took a quick shower. I dried off and slipped on the robe hanging on the back of the door. I brushed my teeth, combed my hair and shaved. Turning, I took a deep breath and opened the door. I closed my eyes just before stepping out. Turning toward the bed, I opened my eyes to find the most beautiful sight a man could imagine.

Denise was naked, the bedclothes were pulled back and she was lying across the king size bed. She was magnificent. I cleared my throat, not knowing what to say.

"My, my, the great Jack O'Hara, not knowing what to say?" she quipped.

I quickly moved to the bed. Looking down at her I sighed.

"Magnificent," I croaked. She blushed. She smiled. She moved back on the bed until her head was on one of the pillows. "Magnificent," I said again. She blushed.

I slipped the robe of my shoulders and started to climb into bed.

"Wait! I want to get a good look at you. Turn, slowly." I turned, slowly. "My, my, a lot of scars on that wonderful body," she said her voice husky with emotion. "I also have to tell you something...I can't be your doctor anymore."

" And as for you being my doctor, I don't care if you are or aren't. I have lived a hard life."

"Good. Yes you have. I count six bullet wounds..."

"Seven, you can't see my left calf from there."

I stopped turning, looking at her. She spread her legs just a little. My arousal was evident.

"Get up here," she growled.

I hurried up the bed and lay beside her propped up on my elbow, looking down into her green eyes. I brushed a stray lock of red hair from her face. Such a lovely face, a face I was now deeply in love with. I licked my lips. Gazing into her eyes, I leaned in and pressed my lips to hers. Our kiss was soft and gentle. My right hand found her shoulder. She shivered at my touch. I slowly dragged my finger tips along her arm, down to her hand. I fingered the ring she still wore on her ring finger.

"Oh my god," she croaked pushing me away.

I looked at her. She was distraught. Her right hand went to her left and ripped the rings off. She looked at them, tears in her eyes. Across the room they flew.

"Fucking asshole!" she screeched, collapsing back onto the bed. "Fucking asshole," she said a little softer. "I'm so sorry Jack," she whispered.

I looked down into her eyes, they were filled with horror. I kissed her forehead, she shied away.

"Denise, my intent wasn't to criticize. I'm sorry if you felt that way," I croaked, I was now sure, but it had come at a price. I just hoped it wasn't too big to be overcome.

"No, no, no, dear Jack O'Hara. I wasn't...I didn't mean..."

Her hand went behind my head and pulled my lips to hers none to gently. Our kiss lasted forever. Then she was pushing me away and onto my back. Climbing over me, she now straddled my hips. My arousal was pressing against her soft, wet, private place. I could barely keep my wits about me. Denise pressed herself down onto my hardness, coating it with her wetness.