Jack's Moonlighting Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Leandro felt another spike of cold but kept his reaction to himself. "Yes, sir."

Seeing a gesture of dismissal, Leandro nodded and left the room immediately without visible haste.

As he rode the elevator down to the basement where his limo waited, he brooded over their main roadblock. Leandro had Jack Danner's past thoroughly excavated from every public database and several private ones as well. The investigators went the extra mile to track down audio recordings of his dinner-side chats with his Shreen friends. Leandro also asked for information on Jack's parents. What he'd read in the resulting files didn't make him feel confident about their success.

It all lined up with Jack's explicitly honest response to him about why he wouldn't support their request. His family had suffered during the Oligarch's Reign, and his parents were victims of it.

It took his mind back to his own childhood, as he was roughly the same age as Jack. Leandro shared Jack's idealistic view for a brief shining moment in his youth until his father beat it out of him.

With a domineering corporate lawyer father and a self-absorbed socialite mother, both of whom thrived in the shadows of the rich and powerful, Leandro found his destiny was already set for him.

He put his clever mind to the challenge of carving his own path. He achieved his goal of becoming top tier corporate legal council, exceeding his father's position by a significant margin. When he attracted the attention of Qiang, he accepted the transfer to the new corporate master. As his first assignment, he annihilated the company his father worked for and got to watch his parents slide into obscurity.

Leandro knew from the first day he stepped into the courtroom and faced his father that this was just a loyalty test from Qiang, who had no other interest in a company they eventually stripped of its resources.

From that day, Leandro hadn't looked back. He'd been certain he'd reached as close to the pinnacle of power as he would get.

While the Oligarch's Reign was over, many of the obscenely wealthy continued to thrive. While they no longer had direct control of Earth's governing body (tied up as it was in the checks and balances designed to avoid a reoccurrence), they hungered for it.

Leandro was the one who brought the Ishilon's power systems to the attention of Qiang. Describing a storage cell small enough to be contained in a Tik's body that held enough energy to atomize several blocks worth of a city's core caught his attention in a big way. The executive was convinced that there would be a significant power shift if he and the other clients could obtain exclusive rights to these power cells on Earth.

Except Danner wouldn't allow that to happen.

Leandro knew Qiang didn't accept no as an answer, and the man scared the piss out of him.

Jack's dismissive phrase about rocking little boats returned to Leandro's mind. He struggled to imagine Qiang as the captain of anything less than the deadliest destroyer on the sea.

But out there in the dark unknown? Maybe there was something larger.