James's Descent Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This was a day when the hospital would see full use. The "dead" were out of commission for a couple of days, most others were just down until the next morning, and most still had wounds when tomorrow they would see Amazon bringing a "negotiation unit" which was code for "I don't care how much it costs, remove this problem" and it would cost a lot as those grand elites fell before they even got close. Phoebe was terrifying.

But Pam was proud. She'd wake in pain, unable to move her body, stripped and bandaged all over with Ben fussing over them. The girl had a shit-eating grin on her face. Oh, she can't wait to tell James about it... but he knew and was up there to direct them. He was proud of his little engine of destruction. That was all she could summon before fainting again from the pain.

They all thought this was worth it.

*

That prompt was not joking. This was NOTHING like the other endgame scenarios. James's computer was whirring like crazy, trying to render all of those enemies. Any more than a hundred on the map and he might be watching a slideshow. Well, normally... at least. This time, he was still seeing it at a normal speed, but it looked like his PC was going to blow something.

He gently patted the tower, hoping that this would not be ruined by hardware failure. But what was in there could not exist in his PC. He couldn't even run one of those modern AIs.

"One more time, Destroyer... then you have my permission to die. We've got miles to go before we sleep."

Yes, he named his computer. Deep breath. Halfway there. He was mildly aware of the sound of cars rushing in the distance. Nothing unusual as he was close to a national road. No idea that they were coming to him. He discarded the idea of having a smoke break on the balcony... it would save his life. The curtains were pulled and the cruel rays of the sun were discarded in the favor of his ceiling lamp. The smoke break would be enjoyed inside, as he kept the game playing. Another recovery, another raid soon to come. Every few days a new group of believers arrived. He saw the ones that did not believe in him... he only saw those as different, not the families of the others. After that one caused a problem, he arranged for the others to show up and not believe in True Family to suddenly die of mysterious wounds.

His heart was beating far too fast. The moment approached... the moment when he would be unleashed... free. Yep, a good song to play right now. And his influence was starting to be felt. The songs he played were heard by the colony. The group that arrived had a great show of there being more. They heard it in their mind.

Thoughts still lingered on what he would leave behind. Sad people who would mourn his absence. What would they believe of him? That he simply disappeared, that he died, that something else happened? With the world how it is today, people could disappear.

"When I'm free

When my sun has set

Released my soul forever

I'll have no regret

To be free

I'll exist again

No more lost endeavors

Nothing to contend

When I'm free"

His voice was not enhanced, but some heard that distant cry. It filled many with determination. It covered the sound of screeching tires. It made him unable to hear the men who surrounded the building, planning their entry, shouting orders at all who were around, and beating one of his neighbors into unconsciousness when he asked for their business. His landlord got shot for asking for a warrant. The trial would state that he "resisted their investigation" and any charge was dismissed or the judge would be quietly shot after the trial.

Almost there.

*

It was getting increasingly crowded in the colony. It was not made for this many people. The great hall and throne room had a waiting line for people to enjoy dinner and others made do with any other surface. Anna was eating in the lab, though the quality of the food was a refreshing thing in these times. It was intentional that the others here were all those who knew who James was. And still, they had to pause every once in a while as someone had the idea to use it and found it full.

"We need a bigger base!" Pam declared it with purpose.

"I suppose we will have to change things around after. Don't think they will be leaving."

"At least they're... understanding." Fiona looked at the bright side. They could use all the toilets without any of those privacy concerns.

"Seems like even the others are coming along. Guess they were just told lies and now that they see what we're about they're changing their mind."

"Or just doing it because we've got resources."

"Maybe. But I've spent plenty of time converting people to see when they just agree out of some obligation or truly believe."

"Hey, what are we actually going to do if people... don't believe in him? I mean, hold onto other religions and such."

A difficult question. James had picked "intense bigotry" because the idea of functioning with diverse religions did not work unless those religions were MADE to work together. Eventually, someone would ruin the fun.

"I think we should kindly, and firmly... ask them to find their own space apart from us. For now, we're not going to send them away, but no doubt that in time we might see friction."

"And what if they don't?" Nathan thought of the worst.

"We see where that takes us. But we will not entertain the people that James is trying to clean the world of. After all, we certainly do not force the things we do... they are allowed. But if some hold onto some foolish notions of others having to provide for them while they give nothing but hurt back..."

A smile from Pam. They had to take care of some troublemakers, but after the first snapped spine there was an understanding that this was no free buffet where they could do what they wanted. And neither did violence get them anywhere while shaming them for using it. They had no concern over fighting their enemies, whoever they were. The usual tactics did not work.

"I want to say..." Pam felt like this was worth saying. "Even now, even with this... I've got no damned regrets. I know, we were not thinking the best of it when we started, but it's just... the last few years have been THE BEST. I wish I grew up in a world using our morals. Honesty, openness... and none of the pandering."

"Pam, you were the one to take up the beliefs the quickest. And I was lagging behind."

"I think I remember you agreeing that we be naked rather quick. Kinda surprised me."

Anna gave a sigh, thinking back on those times.

"Honestly, I didn't believe it one bit. I was just... lost. I had no idea what I was doing and anything, absolutely anything was... whatever. Maybe I could have even said okay to starting to eat people and a lot of other things. I was... in a bad place."

"You didn't show it." Nathan observed.

"Yes. because I still had our old conditioning. That parents are supposed to be strong, that we're supposed to lie and be in control and not show weakness or you would not manage. I was wrong. And I'm sorry."

"It's alright." Pam smiled at her. "I was pretty much all over the place. I mean, yeah, I know... I looked in control, but if I stopped working I'd just explode."

Anna allowed herself a smile. It was embarrassing. But it was an acknowledgment of their humanity. People like to pretend they are beings of perfect logic, control, and order when they are, in fact, uncontrollable agents of chaos who act and react in the most unpredictable, illogical, and insane ways possible. Which was the norm for humans. People are not some perfect machines that analyze their environment and pursue the perfectly calculated method to advance, but rather they are a plate of jelly capable of decisions piloting a pile of meat which is driven by 24 different hormone-created agendas with no concern over anything that clash and scream at each other until one wins that internal war to result in a decision. And some wonder why Congress never has a meaningful impact on the world.

"So, you didn't believe from the start." Fiona summarized. "When did you?"

"I came to it bit by bit. Yes, this is good for us, and yes this might be good for us. Even when James came I was not fully convinced. It took time. I wanted to see... actual proof. It was my and your future in the mix... we could have started and gone down some depraved path where we just discarded the considerations of others, turning into more horrible people than the ones that sold us into slavery."

"But we didn't. And... I think that's not just James... but all of us. We're not like that."

"Or we don't lie to ourselves and take care of problems."

A moment of quiet. The next raid would arrive after the ones doing the fighting could enjoy dinner. Night-time meant nothing to them. No, it was better because most of their enemies could not see in the dark.

"So... people of other religions, when we're done they can go away if they don't hold to our standards. We're not pleasing every last person." Nathan summed up that idea.

"It certainly sounds cruel, but I think that sooner or later, from tolerance they start having expectations. And from expectations, they move on to demands. And when those demands are not met... they will not hesitate to consider us as less than them."

"Oh, fun fact... do you know that like... 90% of religions on this planet think that someone who doesn't believe in their ways is not to be considered a person?" Fiona had that fun fact.

"Since there are twenty religions on this planet... and we are one of them... which is the other?"

"The Amish. Yep, even the Balkans think we're less than them. I checked. They have this thing that those who do not serve the collective are not worthy of being treated like a person."

"And they have given such grand ideas of civilization. Well, I will not feel sorry for treating them like an enemy. Sounds like they were one all along and just engaging in another kind of war."

Lighter subjects were approached before the South Koreans would bring forth 180 people to try and crush them. They did not even get halfway into the killbox. The other residents started to feel like a burden considering that they were not fighting or doing much else, so they started to try and bring what other value they could... mostly seeing to the food production. It was an amazing idea to have their own place to cultivate food with no care for outside factors. Come snow, rain, or artillery shelling, they could still have loads of crops.

James had prepared them for war and they were having one.

*

He was watching that number go up like his life depended on it. That was the truth, but James was driven by something else. 186. 191. 197. 199.

"Oh, COME ON!"

Finally... after a few more in-game days... the last guy showed up. Or the last couple. After two in-game seasons, to the point that it was now the end of autumn in there... everyone was there.

What now?

James had no idea what was supposed to happen now. He checked the altar... no new option in there. He checked the anima tree. He checked Anna and the new colonists. He checked the quest prompt and found something to bring a measure of relief and an unsettling message.

"I'll take it from here. I'll clean up on your way in. Then I'm off to my smoke break."

That was all the game had to say before he noticed that he could no longer fast-forward. That was reserved for when a conflict was going on. But there was an extra odd thing. He couldn't pause either... he couldn't do anything. But he saw the colonists start to move towards the courtyard. A smile, a tear shedding down his cheek... and in the hallway, there was a loud bang. The door to the apartment complex was broken open.

He didn't hear all that... but he went to the other thing open on his computer as the fans were going crazy. Just a bit longer. He should arrive with a song. And after thinking of plenty of epic, inspiring, or intense songs... he found one to fit it best.

Anna knew that there was to be a ceremony. What kind... she did not know. But it did not matter. The outsider was not one for decorum. The courtyard could hold them best. The ship had been packed away for storage since they were not using it too soon. It could fit all of them. So could the anima room, but that might put a lot of people in darkness. It was evening. The lamps shone brightly in the courtyard as she came right before the artillery section.

A thousand people were here. A thousand hopefuls, believers or not... those who wished for the outsider's order. Those who wished to bring him home. The colonists were notable among them by their uniform, the others dressed in whatever way they managed.

"We've finally gathered. All of us. Why? Because the Outsider is real. Because he is more than the man who gave us these words. He is... the greatest man I have met... and I have met many. I have met lords who claimed dominion over planets, I have met the wise men of tribes who have taken life raw, and I have met beings to see the world how it was two thousand years ago. And him... I have met the outsider. Today he is coming home. Through us. Through our belief and will. Let us call him home."

Before Anna might be at a loss for what to do or say... the air filled with a sad, slow song... one that could almost break hearts. One that dragged tears out of their eyes and made them all look toward the sky. Some people converted right here and now.

"Home

Oh I've been gone so long

Felt like forever

And now I see the green fields of home

Long have I roamed

Long have I hoped

To see the usual faces smiling at me

And now I know that I'm really home"

It was not his voice... it was the last song he would request from YouTube. They said no words, but their hearts, their souls... reached out towards him. A combined spiritual power to achieve one act close to divinity.

God exists in all people. And enough people could work together to do something fitting for a god... bringing another into the fold.

"Home

Where all the trees grow stoutly green before me

Where everything still shines, full of life

Long have I roamed

Long have I yearned

To see them standing proudly there

Did I know

How much they would remind me of home"

He put that song on full blast, his speakers showing their full might. James stood before the computer, arms open, inviting this. He was ready. He wanted to go. Was this tantamount to suicide in the eyes of others? He didn't care. The man started to glow... and then fade away. Bit by bit. He was leaving the world. The first significant step of his ascent.

A thousand souls looked up and felt inside them the way they all drew another from wherever they were. Other gods and beings of power might do this easily, but now they could do this once through a concentrated force of will. All are aligned to this purpose.

Steps outside his door. He did not hear them. They did not call out. This was not supposed to be a legitimate visit. They'd just break down the door and shoot the man dead. That would be MUCH easier if his door was not one of those fancy metal ones that laughed at the usual SWAT response. Still, they would try.

"I...

had left to see the world

Beyond what I knew

And now I don't know more than back then

Long have I roamed

Long have I dreamed

To have a hero's welcome waiting for me

But I don't need it now

Cause I'm home"

Pam was crying. No longer would her bed be cold on most days. No longer would any children they have barely see him during their childhood. She wanted more. She wanted to raise them with him right there. She wanted to do a thousand things and more. But mostly... she just wanted him happy... here... home indeed.

No words as they kept that spiritual pull, slowly dragging the man through the gate they made for just a brief second. Some felt that they were doing something... something grand. Something that was a threat to all others. Did no people ever have such a unity to do such a thing? There were bigger armies, bigger countries, bigger factions... they claimed to act as one. They were not.

"Home

Oh I've been gone so long

Felt like forever

And now I see the green fields of...

Home"

James did not see the final words the game had for him... words he did not read as his eyes closed and let himself slip into this world. But he was gone. James Masters had left the building, the planet, the existence in which this particular planet Earth thought it was alone. But there were others. And he was about to experience something else.

"You've got five minutes." The quest prompt said that with a lot planned.

Lightning. No, not lightning... a strike of pure light as a bell sounded, as if god himself was punching at that particular spot. They were blinded, deafened... and then they could see something right at that exact spot. A man in a coat, hands held out and breathing in with gusto. This time... he FELT it. There was more to it. He could DO things. It is hard to describe, but there was this almost tactile feedback that when he would declare something, it happened... but it still had limits. He was not a full god yet, but James was now something that one might call "ascended". And this was no dream, no delusion, no fabrication of his psyche as he would throw himself from a balcony. The man was absolutely gone from the world and into another.

Behind him... a loud bang came from the door as the battering ram attempted its first push forward. It bent but did not break. A second go would give just enough room that you might stick a thin tool inside. They did not get a third. As his PC went crazy, as the screen showed the depiction of his arrival... it was time for cleanup. The destroyer could go... and as a first, unintentional show of his new power... the PC could do what James allowed it to.

The building shook as the 7-year-old computer exploded like ten kilograms of C4. Windows shattered, and the door flew straight across the hall, crushing three cops into a paste that could never have them be separated again, five others losing a limb to a door that moved with the crushing force of a truck. All their eardrums were history and the room beyond became ground zero to a blast that could unmake a person at a molecular level. NOTHING survived. Walls inside the apartment broke, furniture turned to shreds, clothes became a burned crisp as a fire started straight after... yes, C4 does not start fires but when you don't need to obey laws of physics, explosions have fire. Everything in there would either be destroyed by the blast or the fire that followed. Almost everything.

James was declared dead, his disappearing act passed as a terrorist action with every department of security declaring he was on their radar for months even though they had to search for who he was just two days ago. His family was far enough to avoid any direct implication in this but still got a bit of blowback... at least from those who were idiots. Those who knew the man could see this was bullshit. But it did not matter to him.

He was gone.

*

He was home. As the outsider opened his eyes, he saw the stunned crowd before him, the cliff rising above the base, the sky turning to night... a thousand faces just looking at him with amazement. Or disappointment. Best not disappoint. He could do some new things now... best show it. The man snapped the fingers of his left hand so a lit cigarette could manifest in them.

Those from the colony who knew him... but did not know who he was... had eyes that shot wide open. Phoebe had the stupidest expression as she looked like those eyes were going to pop out of her head. She figured out that those four knew when they did not have such dramatic expressions... Anna looked happy, Pam looked like she was going to burst with excitement.... Nathan... okay, Nathan was pretty chill. Everyone else was just looking forward with disbelief.