James's Descent Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's the outsider?"

"He looks like just a guy."

"Did we get the right guy?"

"Wait, it's that James guy."

"I don't know, he's kinda cute."

Voices from the crowd were audible, even if they might not want to be. The man was put on the spot, but he worked customer support... this was nothing.

"I can hear you guys back there. Shush for a moment. I have a speech and everything. And you who think I'm cute... we'll bang, okay?"

One person had excited mutterings while others were silenced. Fiona smiled as the man looked in no way changed. There was a fear that now... as the final step was done, he might show his true colors. But he always did. A pull from that cigarette before he started his completely unrehearsed speech that he was pulling out of his ass by the second.

"First, I would like to thank you all and also say that I will see about repaying this. No joke... you just pulled me out of another world that I do not wish any of you to live in. But you do because this world, this existence with all its planets... is no better outside our little island of pleasure. And before you might question my position, which is a fair and understandable course..."

His right hand snapped his fingers. Behind him, lightning struck. It was a clear sky, but all the psycasters had summoned lightning indoors. Still, it was a bit more.

"If you still don't believe me, we can work on that. I was prepared to appear in a discrete fading-in, possibly to your disappointment, but I decided at the last moment that I should show up with a bang. Yes, I am the outsider. I also have a name. It's James and you are certainly allowed to use it. If you really believe in me you know I don't want any kneeling. And I appreciate that none of you are on your knees."

No sarcasm. He might have shouted at anyone kneeling. The hand with the cigarette indicated to Pam.

"And yes, I am fucking Pam and will possibly marry her. No, she does not have some special powers from this, and neither does Fi or anyone else. You got those from something else. Rule number one is I want to be treated like a fucking ordinary guy and that's why in my many visits to this place I didn't tell you guys. And still, some fuckers found out. But, that's what defiance gets ya. Secrets don't last and I'm kinda proud of them for it."

Anna did have a measure of pride. And relief. What god praises you for going against them?

"Most of you are going to wonder what do we do now. Do we start a war with the rest of the universe for the one true god? Honestly, I don't give a shit if people believe in me or not, I just want people to be DECENT. If you guys want to start fighting others just because they are bastards, you've got my approval, but don't start any just to spread my religion. And yes, it is a religion, I guess. Maybe we can just sit here and relax and let the rest of the world seethe because you have a god and they don't. No, really, I can do stuff. Ask me for stuff, but not too much. Remember the whole 'working for something makes you value it' thing. Or I'm gonna end up like in that game where humanity attacked the gods because they were not getting enough stuff from them. Entitled bastards."

There would come many requests. But his five minutes were almost up. His cigarette was not shrinking, even as he took drags from it in between his words.

"But, mostly... I just wanted a decent place to live. I'm all for others in this place also finding it decent, nothing like the guys who are cool with turning people into tools. We can make this place bigger, just hunker down here and give the rest of the world the finger while we slowly increase in power. But that's on you. I don't want to rule over you, I don't want praises thrown in whichever format you can imagine. And..."

The alert of a raid sounded from the links of those present. Loud enough that others heard. James drew a breath and rolled his eyes.

"Not now, Randy! Okay, where's that fucking raid, I'll blow them the fuck up."

He could send his sight away to see the world partly how he used to do in the game, but now he had much more realism. And as he turned to look at who came to ruin his speech, the man paused... and then showed his humanity.

"Nani the FUCK?!"

Remember the part about armies being thousands of people? He was looking at an army. He was looking at people and robots and insects and everything that could fight them stretched out into the horizon, a million units advancing with blank faces. These were not people... they merely resembled them. They were not factions, they were modeled after them. He saw the equivalent of drones advancing with completely lifeless eyes, the light on but nobody home. And they just went on and on and on and on. The others simply saw in the satellite view how the entire edge of the map was swarming with enemies that were coming their way. A collective shitting of pants came. They could hold that off... but only for a while.

And then James realized his predicament. Wrongfully. The intention was to make him invested in these people, in this place, in everything here... to draw his heart out until his defenses were down and then ruin everything... to break him, to make him go mad... to give power to one who will use it to spread more pain, as that is what He Who Is Everything wants. But James took a third option. An unexpected option.

"Okay, people... we're in an endgame state... which means that until we fuck off, they are just going to keep coming. And I guess since you now have a godly force on your side, the stakes went up. I have... an idea.. But I'll need my fine hopefuls to hold the line for just a bit." Beat. "Just one last fight, yeah? Can you do that? I'm not ordering... I'm asking."

Phoebe was the first to step forward. Maybe she liked fighting, but if there was one principle, it was that she fought so others could have it better.

"Ya got it, 'special guest'." A grin for her.

"You're just upset 'cause I got the dick instead of you."

"Nah. Come on, guys... you were all up for the outsider until now. I'm down to fight a bit more."

"RIGHT!" Pam felt like she woke up. Job's not finished. "Uh... babe, what are you going to do?"

"I absolutely have no idea but I think I can do something."

"You said you had an idea like fifteen seconds ago!"

"Yes. Just working through the technicalities of it. That idea was to send us on another planet, but if the place keeps doing this we might not be safe even there. Just... give me a bit."

Leave it to him to think things through. Pam smiled warmly. The sky went absolute black. Those who could not fight... as well as the others... took shelter inside, but they'd still arm themselves with what weapons the colony had, mostly what was recovered from the ludicrous amount of enemies they killed in the last few months. The rest started to walk towards their positions.

Pam got yanked by her boyfriend just as she was about to start walking, drawn into a long, passionate kiss. Gods, she needed this. The girl felt what it was... a promise. He WILL find something to solve this. When they parted, their eyes met with a smile shared between them.

"We're gonna party once this is done. And by party I mean orgy."

"Fuck yes." She said that quietly.

They went in opposite directions. James needed a nice, quiet place to think and meditate and apply his new force upon the universe. He was already refining the idea as he went in. Some people might not have looked to him with the opinion of godhood, but he never wanted that... he just needed quiet.

He would get just enough of it.

*

Phoebe was unsettled as the first enemies were seen through the scope. These were not people, they were zombies... their eyes were completely soulless, and they could do all the bad things their enemies had done previously, but it was as if someone took a great iron to their personalities to render complete drones. It was a completely mixed bunch, people who should have been fighting each other rather than marching together. The insects were hard-wired biologically to fight the machines, the other factions pretty much hated every other faction with the exception of the civilized ones getting along. This was not cooperation, this was the destruction of the human soul. Those were not people.

"We're fighting things with no fucking personality! I should feel good about this but it's just... you know, I preferred the Empire guys."

Pop went an IDF soldier. From behind him, one of the Indians just stepped over the body, a mechanoid to his right, a Balkan to his left. Advancing as one. The astorians did not have their spirit suffer. They had still... theoretically achieved their purpose. The outsider was here. And if he was not back in the Home focusing on how the hell to solve this problem, he might be blasting them with every force he could imagine.

"What do you think caused this?" Pam wanted to ask James, but instead, she'd ask Fiona.

"Maybe it's just... the world opposing us. We won. We're not supposed to win. Maybe Dad is doing something to put the world in its place."

"Eh, I'll take that answer. Sounds like the world is a BITCH! Hey, Fiona... how does it feel to be the daughter of a god?"

Roxy waited patiently for the enemies to be in range. So many questions that were held back due to the situation.

"Feels like you guys have expectations of me when I'm nothing more than you knew."

"Yeah, that's what James feels. Just a guy. Why he didn't tell you guys." Pam knew him well.

"A guy who can shoot LIGHTNING!"

"Roxy, I can shoot lightning. Okay, I'm not actually doing it, but.... Eh... Kinda wish I was in there with him."

"So go." Anna just said that.

"Uh... you guys kinda might need my help to hold the line."

"And what if others get past us? Go... and be his last defense. We can manage."

A smile from the girl. Yes, she should do that. The head of family slipped out of the cranny and started to jog back into the base, checking the pad for his location. The home. She blessed the fact it had one door, turning right as she went into the grand hallway, then a quick left into their place of worship. The man was sitting cross-legged on a sheet, eyes closed, mind racing. He did not even turn to see her. Too focused.

Pam was tempted to say something... to do something. To enjoy time with him. No, not the time. Not the time at all. Let him focus. She went to sit on another sheet and looked at the pad.

"Can't stay away from me, huh?"

He said that without turning or opening his eyes.

"How'd you know it was me?"

"Tempted to say something but I can just see stuff from anywhere. Well, anywhere in the colony range. That's as far as I can go. Actually, good that you're here. I do my best thinking with someone to bounce ideas off of."

The man turned around to open his eyes. She saw the focus and concern in him. No jokes, no foolishness. James was serious. The girl stepped closer to sit right in front of him.

"Well, okay. So... what can you do and what might solve this? Can't you just kill them all?"

"Only as far as the borders and even then, they'll keep coming. These guys aren't coming from anywhere. They are just... showing up. There is no 'all', there is only 'they will keep coming.' which pretty much makes any idea worthless."

"And... beaming us on another planet?"

"People crash on every planet out there. We're not going to be alone for too long."

"Then another... something where people don't go. Or make it so that they just can't come, just lock us in and tell them to fuck off. We can hold here forever."

"Still feels like it's not a solution. And eventually, we'll hate our prison more."

No solution. She was getting angry. This situation was supposed to be unsolvable.

"So we can't be safe ANYWHERE?! The world is just gonna keep sending things out of nowhere because you're not supposed to be happy, like some fucking time paradox that says, no... that guy has to suffer or everything is wrong? WHAT THE FUCK?!"

"Yep. Thus my current predicament. I'm sorry. I should be able to do more."

"I waited... for six years... I was ready to wait more. To see you happy... to be happy. WHEN THE FUCK CAN I BE HAPPY?!"

When. The man paused in thought. Pam saw that focus... and it comforted her a tad. His smile brought one to her, even if she could not read his mind.

"When indeed. Not where."

Deep breath. This was stupid. He had no idea if it would work. But maybe it could. All they had to do... was wait. A god-assisted wait. James reached forward to give her a smaller kiss of thanks. Pam felt so good at that moment.

"Keep watch until I'm done."

He did not need to tell her what he had in mind, Pami just wanted to know that he thought of something... something to try. The girl stood to walk before the door and stand with that hammer at the ready. If there was anything she should do... is this. Protect him.

The girl heard music in the air... a long piano escalation... a soft opening. James was going to do something insane and he needed some spiritual assistance. The entire colony heard... and they felt the gears turning... the final defiance in motion.

And then they heard the words... and Fiona knew what he was doing long before others even had an idea. She figured it out.

"Archaean horizon

The first sunrise

On a pristine Gaea

Opus perfectum

Somewhere there"

Life once emerged in the galaxy from nothing but the right conditions, and under the right conditions, it could go out. James did not have to kill them all... he only had to wait. He looked to the future... building it as he went. The colony would fall, that was inevitable.

Mankind has a tendency for self-destruction. All he had to do was wait. After they were gone, the factions would fight more and more until they would render the world unlivable in their wars. The greater forces in the universe would grow and begin to fight each other. But one would help most in this struggle.

Outside, the fifteen were firing at an endless stream of enemies. They put more and more out, and those that broke through the initial firepower would get a stronger focus. But by the minute, they were getting closer and closer. The outside of the killbox was getting assaulted as well, the rock walls torn apart and the vault walls were getting wailed on by far too many hands. They'd break, despite their incredible strength... in just a few minutes. The enemies were getting stronger. The other did not let them win... it would not let them win. It could not HAVE them win. It would mean that all fell apart, that one would have power without following the plan. That could not be. It should not be. It will not be. It must not be. It will make sure it does not come to pass. This was important to everything everywhere.

The music was growing in intensity. James saw further and further. The machine threat would grow until it was a galactic force of extermination. All intelligent life must be removed. All of it. The machines would adapt, would grow, would make worlds where mechanoids were created in droves, where ships were made in hours, and the swarm would begin a grand offense on every world bearing humanity. Was he using the machines to wipe out his enemies? Yes, but this was.... What the plan was for this world. One day, it had to end. To not see.

"The cosmic law of gravity

Pulled the newborns around a fire

A careless, cold infinity

In every vast direction

Lonely farer in the Goldilocks zone

She has a tale to tell

From the stellar nursery into a carbon feast

Enter LUCA"

A war of thousands of years... as one by one, the worlds of man fell, as the traffic between systems broke more and more under the growing presence of machines, those who could not tolerate even the smallest sign of life. Its precision in finding human life would grow, and the force marshaled against these settlements increased. The lost worlds would fall first, then the worlds bearing sub-industrial civilization... those followed suit right after, then would come to the core worlds. The Shattered Empire would see its borders assaulted by more ships they could counter. The emperor would die a coward, fleeing from a lancer that scored a clean hit through his back. He was not the greatest psycaster in the galaxy... merely the one to manipulate the most. The Empire was shattered for good.

"The tapestry of chemistry

There's a writing in the garden

Leading us to the Mother of all"

Then the insects would fall, finally hunted down to extinction, the machine hub learning how to prevent any and all future spawn, purging that menace once and for all. Maybe it was not in line with their prime directive, but those things were a constant issue... it was in the way, it must be removed. And it will be. It was.

James saw as the last bastions of humanity were assaulted from all angles... mustering every force they had, sacrificing everything for just a bit more time. He should feel sad... a lot of those people were innocent, but those leading were throwing others into the fire just to last longer. Further.... Much further.

"We are one

We are a universe

Forbears of what will be scions of the Devonian sea

Aeons pass, writing the tale of us all

A day-to-day new opening

For the greatest show on Earth"

Earth fell. In their last moments, many found their pursuits meaningless. One by one, the last remnants of humanity went out. And then Silence fell. But the machines watched. They were there. Not safe... they'd just come back out. Keep going.

Nathan found far too many enemies to keep up with. He was killing more in these few minutes than he did in his entire lifetime. They just kept coming. His Bulletstorm just kept going and going and going, the man sending lead forward to hold back the tide. Part of him would be fine to die here. Maybe that could be his service. No... he has to forgive himself one of these days. He did it. He brought the outsider here. For his attempt at death, he has brought life. Fair trade.

"We are here to care for the garden

The wonder of, birth of, every form most beautiful

Every form most beautiful"

They heard that chorus again, the declaration of what humanity should be. They were not. James saw how they shattered in their final moments, how each sought his own interest when they could be stronger together. Perhaps it was fitting that the next part would show what humanity was... past tense. At least in his view.

"After a billion years

The show is still here

Not a single one of your fathers died young

The handy travelers out of Africa

Little Lucy of the Afar

Gave birth to fantasy

To idolatry

To self-destructive weaponry

Enter the god of gaps

Deep within the past

Atavistic dread of the hunted"

Wait, what's that? James saw how... new species evolved into sapience. He saw relatively humanoid, but alien species pop up all over the galaxy. And then he saw them slowly take to the stars. Not on this planet. No, wait... it was... will be... damn time travel tense trouble... it will be colonized by one of those species as they grow out and out.... Poor idea, growing wide. Yep, it looks like their core worlds depend exclusively on what the others bring in. They have to keep growing. And they ran out of space. Why aren't the machines taking them out? Oh, they were programmed for HUMANS. Those are not. And technically they were not programmed to hunt humans at all, their programming went haywire. But it looks like they can't identify the new species as worth taking out.

"Enter Ionia

The cradle of thought

The architecture of understanding

The human lust to feel so exceptional

To rule the Earth

Hunger for shiny rocks

For giant mushroom clouds

The will to do just as you'd be done by