All Comments on 'Janey and Big Red: A Spanking Team'

by gunhilltrain

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
mattenwmattenwalmost 3 years ago

That idiotic woman would be divorced from me faster than she can think and the supervisor and the company would be sued faster than they think. You describe characters who are so incredibly idiotic that it is hardly believable! A woman who never asks why he keeps coming home from work late at night. Or why his bum is littered with welts. Conversely, he is so indifferent that he cheats on his wife without much pa lava! And you want to portray that as a believable marriage? I think your imagination got out of hand!

gunhilltraingunhilltrainalmost 3 years agoAuthor

Since you gave such a detailed critique, I'll try to respond. I indeed had a job like that where I sometimes worked seven days a week - sometimes past midnight. I wasn't fooling around with anybody, but my wife accepted it even if she didn't like it.

The marriage depicted here is dysfunctional and is obviously not going to last much longer. The narrator is somewhat passive-aggressive, and he puts up with the various sex games of the women to keep himself from being totally bored.

I can somewhat identify with him. My own marriage ended a few years after a similar situation, although no cheating was involved. In hindsight, I should have dumped her years earlier, but ironically she was the one who pulled the plug.

Haven't you ever seen such marriages that should end but the participants delay it for a long time? Have you ever been in such a marriage yourself? The whole point of the story is that the characters are acting impulsively and against their own best interests. You may not like it, but there is plenty of that going around. The world does not always operate according to the standards you may set for yourself.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usergunhilltrain@gunhilltrain
Time and place matter I suppose. At present I'm between the Metro-North (formerly New York Central) Harlem Division and the NYC Transit Authority's #2 train line. Thus I'm on both the wrong side and the right side of the tracks at the same time. Anyway, for me the Midnight Sp...