Jebidiah's Change Bk. 01 Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A poke in the side by Mila did the trick. "Getting daft, that one is."

Wizards from both sides began casting and deflecting spells as the arrows grew thicker, joined now with a few javelin casts. But Jebidiah still found it hard not to watch Shirley cast her next spells, utter glee cascading off of her. "Was she always like that?" he asked himself.

Instead of letting the question remain rhetorical, Crystal answered him. "I've not seen the like. She is something to behold today. She was calm when we fought the first goblins, I know not where this battle lust comes from. Maybe it is her infernal side coming out?"

Yantzee rejoined him, along with Dana who held a hand against a bandage wrapped around her side. "Sorry Jeb, I'm not pulling a bow with my side like this. Who is laughing like that?" More horns sounded followed by the now familiar ring of steel clashing against steel as the opposing forces finally reached their armswomen, who met them with ready shields and spears. Shirley laughed again as magic missiles shot from her fingers to search for an enemy mage, drawing Dana's attention. "Fuck me, is that Shirley?"

Crystal finished sending off her own magic missiles when Dana's exclamation made her own laughter escape, joining Shirley's.

"How is she making me horny while I'm killing people?" Tenner asked with her own giggle.

Mila cast her own spell then shook her head, "everyone fucking daft." Jebidiah couldn't hold it in and his laughter joined in the others.

Their circle stood slightly behind the line, maybe fifteen feet behind the rank of archers with mages spread out to their right and left, all standing with a safe distance between them to make sure nobody created a tempting target for an enemy area of effect spell. Their laughter rang out amongst those near and, being one of mirth, it had a startling effect. Those nearest them, in the center of the formation and taking the brunt of the attack, heard their Lord liege and his prime, their Lady of the House, laughing alongside the mad infernal battlemage, in the midst of a battle against an enemy that outnumbered them. The presence of their Lord meant he had just defeated an equal number of enemies as they now faced, with a handful of people. Battles were won and lost on the morale of the troops and the boost to morale their laughter generated was something that could never be measured but paid off in more ways than whatever that measurement would be.

The archers smiled as they drew strings back to their cheeks, the laughter could only mean the enemy stood no chance. It lowered the tension and increased their focus, which increased their aim, and at what almost seemed to be a leisurely pace. Now that they knew they would win the night, their arrows turned deadlier. The armswomen in front of them could not really hear the laughter, only hints of it over the cries of the wounded, the roars of rage, and the cash of steel around them, but they took notice as arrows sprouted in the faces that opposed them, especially at the increased rate in which it happened. And just like that it happened, the enemy broke, turning to flee and in the absence of the clash and cries the frontline finally heard the laughter behind them that the archers and mages had taken up. That laughter chased the survivors as they fled into the darkness, to haunt them for days to come.

It started with a private who had been knocked out of the line with a nasty gash on her sword arm. She dropped the shield she had used to shield the archer behind her and raised her good hand into the night, making a fist as she called out 'Valor!' She pumped her first again as those around her ended their laughter and joined in. Soon the cry spread to the other soldiers, his soldiers, as all turned to look at Jebidiah, wounded, bleeding from dozens of places, but still standing in the light of the fires behind him as he and his women laughed. "Valor" was their cry as they dashed swords into shields and threw fists into the air. "Valor! Valor! Valor!" Yantzee put a hand on his young charge, shook his head with a chuckle and quietly said to him, "You won much more than a victory tonight, Jeb." Jebidiah ended his own laughter to stare after Hiro as he limped away. It was the first time he could remember the First calling him by his name.

"No Hiro, we may have won the tactical, but we lost the strategic. I think I learned my lesson."

Sobered up now, the cheering died down as he moved forward to pick up a fallen woman from the ground, blood smearing her blonde hair, her helmet lost on the field of battle. Without a word he simply turned and carried her away from the line and back to where Lt Featherton worked. The rest of the wounded and dead were quickly gathered as a staggered line of carriers and helpers followed him.

Jebidiah made it back to the impromptu infirmary and laid his burden down on an empty pallet of straw. More and more were laid down until nearly a dozen filled the ground around him. How many more dead and dying lay here? Because of him and his decisions. Where was any good in all of this? He saw Featherton, overworked and exhausted, treating what she could. Greta was still out but at least Miller was awake and stable.

"How long will you need, Lieutenant?" Jebidiah quietly asked as he came to stand beside the harried corpswoman.

"The rest of the night to stabilize this lot. Some of this damage is severe." Jebidiah's gaze moved to the wagon with Farrah resting within and Lt Featherton followed his gaze. "I'm sorry, my Lord. There just isn't time and there is only so much that I am capable of."

"The fault lies with me, not you." He tried to reassure her with a firm pat on her shoulder.

A taller woman, almost equal in height to Jebidiah came up and saluted, it was Farrah's First, Corporal Brown. "My Lord, permission to do something rash and stupid."

Farrah and Shirley had mostly stayed in the background with Michael through the debacle that everyone persisted in calling an 'expedition' and Jebidiah had little interaction with their First. He wasn't sure what to make of Corporal Brown yet. "What do you have in mind, Corporal?"

"My Lord, it doesn't take a healer to understand that while she may last the night, she won't make it to Soldier's Rest if we make camp. Give me two more women and we'll get her there on time."

Jebidiah considered it, then reconsidered it wondering why it had not occurred to him. He was so wrapped up in his internal philosophical debate he neglected to consider all his options. Another hard lesson had been learned at the expense of others. "What will you do if more of them are lying in wait?"

"This should be all of them. The main forces at least, we routed two full companies here which is more than some Houses fight wars with. There may be some backup plans along the way but I reckon they will be looking for you, not a few women on a wagon, trying to get aid for a fallen companion."

"Yantzee's voice broke in. "It is a good plan. Take your pick of those not in the First, Sandra. Take Greta, Miller, and Simmons if she will fit in the wagon. Jeb, if you could switch Greta to one of her Stockmar uniforms. Once they reach the next outpost the guard there will fall over themselves to rush her and the rest to the city."

She nodded and left them, hurrying to find who she had in mind.

Tents were being set up as the wounded were attended. He was too tired to find his so he sat down by Greta, maneuvering himself to get her head on his lap. He began running his fingers through her hair, trying to undo the worst of the tangles as he went. The night claimed him there.


-- Somewhen, Somewhere --

Every Divine watched the battle unfold below them, each from their own domain. It wasn't a major battle between players, those would come in due course but required more time and preparation. This was just the beginning of the end for the opening moves in the game as players around the globe were tested. Not a major battle, no, but it was an important one. Having multiple players in proximity in the opening moves was unheard of and all watched to see how the events unfolded. The rules of the game were clear, The Divine were allowed to set forces in motion but could not interfere directly after, outside of things they all were able to normally do, like grant their priests the power for requested spells. That rule had been tested once, and only once, during the second occurrence of the game. The previous Aspect of Gambling gambled a little too much and that, once the games had finished, was how Udite had joined the Twenty.

Comlain knew that Jebidiah's reliance on technology from the Ancients was going to create a headache for him, probably a full blown migraine, though it had been ages since he actually experienced pain. His opponents would bitch and whine and find whatever loopholes they could to erase Jebidiah's advantage.

The results of the battle were impressive. House Valor came out of it relatively unscathed considering the forces they faced. He should be happy, but the clear victory only served to stoke Comlain's unease. Jebidiah found a way to increase the size of the already significant target on his back. Steps would need to be taken.

He began his customary pacing as he contemplated, brow furrowed in concentration. "Of course!" he cried aloud, snapping his fingers out of habit from days long gone. He smiled happily to himself as his plan took shape, moves and counter moves being considered. He missed chess. He had on multiple occasions toyed with re-introducing it to the world. This round of the game made him miss it even more. It had been a long time since he had this much fun.


Just kidding on the no sex part. Thank you all for reading, see you in one week's time with Chapter 13. Comments and stars are appreciated.