Joanne in Sand

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Let me go put on a bathing suit, and I'll meet you here in thirty minutes."

"Fair enough. We'll swim, and then I'm sure you'll be hungry."

Swimming, eating, and then sculpting me in sand. Tim had my entire day pretty well planned. I suspected he was doing it this more subtle way since he knew I'd probably reject any request he made that would seem like a date. If he was, I think he was right about my refusing a date.

It was less than a week since my life had been twisted around by Tyson, and I was questioning everything I did. Was I so desperate for an ego boost that I was using Tim rather than just enjoying his company? Plus, Tim knew my story, and I prayed he respected it.

My brain was in overdrive, and I realized I'd walked right past my building. I shifted into a hurried reverse and raced to my room. In the elevator, I made the decision to wear the new blue bikini. I stripped, put it on, checked the mirror, and hurried back to where Tim was waiting.

"I'm glad you're back. Hold still while I stare at your face. No, no, don't look so surprised. I need a natural look."

How could I look natural with Tim staring at me so intently? But I tried.

"Thanks, and I think I'm off to a doodle start." He pointed to the sand adjacent to the castle.

I took a couple of steps and looked. "How did you do that?"

Tim smiled. "Well, I--"

"--And if you say you just removed the sand that didn't look like Joanne, I'll hit you with my bag."

"I did pretty well working from memory, didn't I?"

Tim looked very proud, and rightfully so. He'd sculpted my face, about twice life-size, and there was no doubt that it was me. I couldn't stop looking at it.

"After the swim and lunch, I'll add more to it."

I tried to picture what he was talking about and wasn't sure I was ready to see that. I mean, I certainly wasn't a double D, but my boobs, double-sized, would be large mounds on the beach. We'd have to discuss it after lunch.

Tim was waving at me to follow him. I took about two minutes to smear on some sunscreen and had no choice but to beckon to Tim to do my back. Unless I wanted to backstroke all the way, it would be my back that was toward the sun.

Now we crossed the sand and were in the water with only gentle rollers washing against us. When we were waist deep, Tim just lay down on the water and began to swim. I quickly followed and was keeping up, but only by expending twice the energy he was using.

The third time we stopped to tread water, we decided to head back, and I hoped I'd make it. With Tim's help, I did. All I wanted was to lie down. Tim, bless his heart, spread his blanket, and a panting redhead collapsed onto it. He sat beside me, looking worried.

"I apologize to you, Jo. When I realized I'd gone too far, I could have kicked myself. You stay right here, and I'll bring lunch to you."

I couldn't argue and gave him my room number to pay, explaining about the fund I needed to deplete. He disappeared, and I watched the few people still on the beach. Many had gone to lunch, I was sure. I listened carefully and heard Spanish and French being spoken along with an unrecognized European language. I knew I was fortunate to find the English speakers I'd been with.

Tim was back with a hamburger for me, which was very good, and what were touted as French fries, which were soggy and not a bit tasty, which I related to Tim when he asked.

"I was afraid of that," he said, curling his lip. "And I see what you mean."

We finished the burgers and nibbled a few fries, then dumped the rest in the trash can.

"I feel like I should put up a tent over the castle and you so the rain won't ruin it."

I grabbed my phone. "I'm taking some photos so people will believe me when I get home."

"How long are you here?"

"Two weeks, and I think one might be enough. How about you?"

"Gramps and I are heading home on Saturday. It's a long trip, so I'm not looking forward to it."

I looked at Tim, debating. "Let's exchange cell numbers, so you can send me pictures of your sand sculptures."

"Great idea. And I don't want to get too personal, but after what you've been through, I'd love to hear how things turn out."

"I'm not sure that will be too interesting, but it's sure no problem." Since I had my phone out, Tim gave me his number; I entered it and then called him. "All set."

"Thanks. I think you'll enjoy some of the sand stuff, and not necessarily mine. Some of the people earn their summer living winning those contests. Amazing stuff."

"What I've seen of yours is pretty amazing. Good luck for your summer. And now I think I'll head to my room and probably take a nap."

"Sorry I wore you out on that swim. I get going and forget about everything."

"It looks to me like you do it so easily you could be a competitive swimmer."

"That takes way too much work. I'm still enjoying the swimming, and that's enough for me. I don't want that to change."

"I'll probably be seeing you later, so take it easy."

"You too, and have a good nap."

I took a very pleasant nap of just over an hour, showered, and dressed to do a little more shopping. I inquired and found that the resort would ship things home for me as long as I bought enough and purchased it at any of their shops. That was a relief as I was afraid I'd be buying lots of jewelry since it would be small and easy to carry home. No holds barred now, so I could buy, buy, buy. And I did.

I went to dinner at a different restaurant and, once again, a group of people, seeing me sitting alone, invited me to join them. They were from Puerto Rico and had come to Hispaniola on a large boat that one of them owned. I found it was only about eighty miles and took just a few hours. They enjoyed practicing their English on me, and we laughed a lot.

Back in my room, I found I was still tired from my day, so I finished my first book, then went to bed.

I was up early on Tuesday and received a text from Tim saying he and his grandpa were headed to town for the day. Grandpa wanted to see everything there was to see, and Tim included, in parenthesis, women, which made me laugh.

In the evening, he texted that they'd had a great time and I should take time to see the town before I went home. Since I knew the resort had a shuttle, I told him I thought I'd go on Wednesday. Since the resort wouldn't be shipping things from the town, I decided it would be a good time to buy my jewelry and gifts for friends. I counted on the check from Tyson to help cover those costs.

Today, for some reason, the weight of what had happened just a week ago hit me. What the hell was wrong with me that going to Finland was better than being married to me? I'd had other guys chase after me, but Tyson had seemed to be special and had told me many times that I was very special. I'd found that Tyson was special, but his specialty was cruelty and indifference.

I kept looking at myself in the mirror, wondering. I did manage to get breakfast...at nearly eleven-thirty and then returned to my room.

Tim texted, asking what I was up to, and I told him I had a few things to do and that I'd see him tomorrow since that would be his last day here. I tried to read and managed to take a walk around the grounds. I ate alone, returned to my room, and cried at the futility of my day and my life. I fell asleep curled up on the couch.

I awoke stiff and sore but, unexplainably, feeling better. Ready for breakfast, I received a text from Tim saying he wanted to take a last swim before heading home and asked if I'd consider going with him. After all the kindness he'd shown me, there was no way I'd refuse his request.

In the blue bikini once again, I met him at the beach.

"I haven't seen you for two days. Did you get all of your stuff done yesterday?" he asked innocently, that contagious smile on his face.

A feeling of guilt swept over me, but his question sparked my thinking. A deeper deep breath this time. It was difficult to look at him as I asked my question very nervously.

"Do you think I'm attractive, a nice person?"

After a moment's pause, he said, "Does this have anything to do with the swim since I knew you'd wear that bikini?"

I chuckled, knowing he'd recognized my tension, and was successful in helping me to relax.

"Yes," he said, "you are both of those and be assured of that. I'm sure that most of the males in the world would agree with me."

"You're very kind. I had a bad day yesterday."

"I think that none of your days lately have been what you expected them to be, but I also think, despite that, you're a delightful person to be around."

"May I give you a hug?"

Tim's turn to chuckle. "By all means."

We stood for five seconds, arms around each other, then parted.

"I meant exactly what I said, Jo. I've had a couple of casual girlfriends, but I've never been married or as close as you were. You're not only attractive and nice, but you're also strong and resilient."

"You've made my day, Tim."

"Just trying to pump you up for the swim." The demure smile I received was priceless.

"Yes, the swim. And I wish I were pumped up. It would surely make the swimming easier."

"I'm just trying to get you interested in swimming again. It's a great conditioner and easy on your body."

"I'm sure I'll be needing something very soon."

"No more stalling. Let's go."

I was a little more ready this time, at least mentally, and as we stroked off, I knew that, rather than me trying to keep up, he was dropping back to keep pace with me. It was relaxing, and it was difficult not to be jealous of the ease Tim showed in his swimming.

"How ya doing?"

"A lot better than last time."

"Good. You need to be well-rested when we go to dinner."

"You're awfully confident."

"Okay. Will you please go to dinner with me?"

"Let me think a moment."

"While you're thinking," he said, and I was under the water, arms and legs flailing. He had my arms and was holding me so my head was now above the water.

"Made your decision yet?

I laughed out loud. "To preserve my life, I accept."

We swam back to our beach, decided our meet time, and I headed to my room and showered. For some reason, the ocean seemed to create a nap need, so I slept for two hours, read, dressed in shorts and a blouse, and went downstairs to meet Tim.

Not surprisingly, he was waiting for me and offered his arm.

"This is formal informality," l said as I took hold of his arm.

"And I'm paying," he said very decisively.

"Tim, please, no. I still have a ton of money to get rid of."

"You can spend it when you get home."

"I'm not sure whether what's left will be returned to me or to Tyson. I may have to check with the resort to find out."

I was beginning to wonder if my insistence on paying for everything, particularly with Tim, was less about using up the money than appearing as if it might be a date. I mean, he was leaving tomorrow, so it didn't really matter much now, and I considered him as a new friend I'd met who'd been wonderful company during this week. Plus, he'd not really shown any sign that he considered me as anything more than a friend.

Tim finally agreed that I could pay, much to my relief as I wasn't looking forward to verbal sparing while we were seated at the restaurant.

"You know what," I said, a little surprised at myself. "I've never asked what you do for a living."

Tim smiled. "You really want to know? You may think less of me if I tell you."

"I don't think there's any danger of that. I'm really curious. When you're back in California, I need to be able to picture what you might be doing if I'm texting you or something."

Or something? What did I mean by that? Sometimes I think I just open my mouth, and words come out, and I have no idea where they've come from.

"I'm an artist," he said simply.

"I already knew that," I said with a chuckle. "What kind of artist?"

"Freelance. I paint murals, do some portrait work, and I'm able to sell a few things in a little gallery that displays my work. And that gives me the freedom to do the sand sculpture contests during the summer."

"That must be kind of exciting being able to just wing it all the time."

"It is, in a way. It's allowed me to come here with Grandpa and have a very different kind of week. And I met you, and that's been fun too. I hope I haven't annoyed you too much with the sculpting and the swimming." He looked a little embarrassed when he added "swimming" there at the end.

"Not in the least. And I have photos of the castle...and Joanne in sand to show when I get back home. I've learned a lot."

"And when I get home, I can tell my friends that I met one of the strongest and most resilient women I've ever come across."

I think I cringed a little when he said that. He hadn't seen me hiding in my room and crying yesterday. Maybe I was just adept at putting up a good front.

"I know we've only known each other for a week, and we're not family or anything, but I just have to say that I'm proud of you and the way you're handling things. Coming here to the Dominican Republic had to be difficult."

"Without Les's pushing, I'd never have done it."

"You did it, though, and thank Les for me when you get home."

"I will, for sure."

"Now, what do you do for a living?"

"Nothing like being an artist, for sure. I'm a pharmacist."

"Helping people. That sounds like you."

Thank goodness our dinners arrived, as I was very uncomfortable talking about myself.

We ate and talked some more and finally left the restaurant.

"Grandpa wants to get everything ready tonight, so I need to go back and help, much as I'd enjoy spending a little more time with you."

"It's been great, Tim, and I wish you the very best of luck in your contests and in your artwork."

"The best to you, too, as you get home and dive back into your life. Good things are waiting for you, Jo."

Tim's arms were extended, and mine went around him as we hugged for the final time. He gave me a last squeeze and stepped back.

"Keep in touch."

"You too," I answered, watching as he turned and walked away. I was sure my last week would be different from the first.

*****

The next week, which I had anticipated would be an exciting adventure, being by myself in a foreign country with money to spend and time to fill, turned out to be a very boring week, spiced up only by my purchases. I had slowed down on the buying since the resort had told me that anything left in the expense fund would be returned to me, Tyson having left no other instructions.

Having said that, there was one thing that was exciting but of the wrong sort of excitement.

Saturday had dawned at eight in the morning for me. I'd slept fitfully, possibly in anticipation of the next week, but more likely worrying what I'd do without Tim there to entertain me. I was sure I'd get used to the idea of him being gone, and I remembered those week-long summer camps I'd attended as a teen. I'd always teamed up with a boy the first day, we'd spent a lot of our time together, we'd sneaked off and hugged and kissed a little on the last two days, and then we'd parted, exchanging texts and emails for a few weeks, and then forgetting all about each other.

I wasn't a teen any longer, but suspected that would be the case now too, and I wondered if I'd meet someone else I'd bond with, marry, and we'd have children together. That was my hope, and thoughts like that filled my mind for that second week.

The unanticipated excitement happened on Saturday night when I'd decided, what the heck, I'd go to the bar, have a couple of drinks and probably talk to a few people as often happened in bars, and then go to my room to finish off the night with some wine. At twenty-five, getting drunk in this situation would be something I would remember, I hoped, in the future.

The bar wasn't crowded since Saturday was the day people left the resort to return home, and Sunday was the day new people arrived. Only multiple-week people were around on Saturday night.

I debated about sitting at the bar or taking a table, finally deciding on the latter. The Mai Tai I'd had my last time here had been good, so that's what I ordered. I knew it would have me well-buzzed very quickly.

A couple of people had stopped by to talk with me, asking about where I was from and if I was having a good time, even suggesting things I might be interested in doing. One mentioned that there were massages available, and since I'd never had one, I had two before I went home, vowing there's be more of them once I was in Ohio.

I was debating ordering another drink, possibly something besides a Mai Tai when I sensed someone standing beside me.

When I looked up, he said, "Your glass is nearly empty. Name your poison, and I'll bring a refill."

"I was just debating that myself," I replied to a fairly handsome and fortyish-looking man who was gazing down at me.

"If you're game to drinking something that's a beautiful blue color, how about a Blue Hawaiian?"

"I probably had blue Kool-Aid when I was little, but nothing since." Foolishly I said, "Okay, I'm game."

He was back in five minutes with two very blue drinks.

"You said it was a Blue Hawaiian, but what is it, really?"

A gentle laugh preceded his answer. "I think it's coconut rum, along with blue Curacoa liquor and some other stuff for flavor. I've had them a couple of times, and they're different from whatever it was you've been drinking."

"Mai Tai."

He nodded. "Yep, different."

I took a taste. It was different, and I think I felt a jolt when I swallowed.

I smiled. "Tastes good but wow."

"Do you know that only about two percent of the world's population are redheads?"

A little random, but I replied, "I knew it was small, but not that small."

"I guess I'm honored to be sitting here with someone as rare as you are."

I blinked. That was a new line for sure, but he was trying, I guess.

I did chuckle. "Just being in the right place at the right time."

"And I certainly am that. You're very pretty as well."

I took another drink of the blue stuff. I wasn't sure I was ready to fend off this guy. It wasn't fair that he'd gotten me the blue drink, knowing that I'd already had something else too.

I shrugged. "Thanks. That and three bucks will get you coffee at Starbucks."

"And it's gotten you a Blue Hawaiian here in the Dominican Republic."

"I guess so," I replied, taking another big sip. I was sure I felt a jolt that time.

"I see you're here for the next week, too. At least the next week," he added.

"Just that."

"Good. Maybe we'll run into each other again."

Although I was beginning to have trouble focusing my eyes, I did a quick check of his ring finger and thought there was a ring of lighter-colored skin near the top. It was difficult to tell, though.

A few more minutes of sipping and innocuous conversation, and I knew I was in trouble.

In slightly slurred speech, I asked, "Can you help me? I'm sure I'll have trouble getting to my room."

"I'm sorry. Sure, I'll be glad to help."

He stood, and I took his hand, standing very unsteadily, finally just leaning against him. The server appeared, and he signed to bill, paying for my Mai Tai as well,l I guessed.

We stumbled out of the bar together.

"Want to just go to my place?" he asked quietly.

Those words helped shake me out of my stupor. "No thanks. Just get me to my building."

As we approached my building, he asked, "What floor are you on?"

"Just get me inside."

At least he didn't argue with me, I think anticipating he'd take me to my room.

Once inside, I gestured to the security man who came right over, I think recognizing me from my many ins and outs of the building.

"Could you help me to my room? I've had a little too much to drink, and this gentleman has been kind enough to bring me here." A fairly long speech for the condition I was in.