All Comments on 'John: How to Save a Life'

by lover1953

Sort by:
  • 203 Comments (Page 3)
AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

OK, so we start with the bs about divorce laws in NY and tmgiw women always win, but it ends up not to be the case.

Thr MC would have saved himself a heck of a lot of money if he'd just used the Internet, researched how to use facts and understand statistics.

Ok, so once again we have an absent father who has prioritised his career over his wife and family to the extent that the wife has taken a lover due to the husbands limited action in the bedroom.

Once the MC finds out rather than actually fighting for his family he chooses to spend even more time away from the home, starts to distance himself from his wife and begins a self fulfilling prophecy of divorce.

Worst still he copies his wife and starts an affair, which unlike the wife's affair detracts from his relationship with his wife, so much so that she now needs to have two men to satisfy her needs.

The author then dishonesty uses the changed perspective to blindside the reader about the wife's actual intentions... probably just a half assed attempt to make the marriage seem unrepairable and the wife a skank, thus deflecting blame from the MC for his sabotaging of the whole relationship.

While all this is going on, we're meant to believe that career man with his extra curriculars still has plenty of time and energy to be the primary carer for his kids.

What an utter bs fantasy.

He should have divorced/seperate as soon as he discovered her affair. Once he'd failed to do that he should have actually made an effort to win her back, not the half assed crybaby bs that we saw.

Really what did he expect she was going to do after he'd completely withdrawn from her and directed all his love and attention on his new girlfriend.

Neither of the main characters come out of this looking good and Jane is a bit of a twat too.

/

A bloke could regularly pay for prostitutes under similar circumstances and no one would bat an eyelid with regards to it only being for sex.

Not going to defend the wife for her affair, just saying that the MC's response was very fragile and quite childish.

AnonymousAnonymous18 days ago

I've made it to page 4, and I intend to finish the story, but a comment is burning in me and I can't help but write it.

First, her protestation that her marriage and children come first, and that she loves them above all else, is a bare-faced lie.

She doesn't NEED to work, she wants to. She wants an independent life, including fucking around with her lover. If she loved her husband as much as she pretends, then she could never have hurt him like she did in the first place... especially with the intention to keep doing so. She knows it is hurting him. She knows of it destroyed her marriage she would hurt her own children. She had to know it's effecting his ability to earn a good living. She had to know she is being disrespectful to a partner who is trying to provide a good life for her and the children. If she had just left work she could have supported him more. If her time was flexible because she left work, she would have more of a chance to spend quality time with her husband. If she cared. That's not what she wants, so she can't care for him as she says she does.

Next... just a comment. Divorce laws are evil. While saying so doesn't change anything, it's still the truth. By making it imbalanced, it has indeed empowered women to act as she has, knowing that the husband has no choice but to buckle to her demands or suffer, while she faces no consequences. It has made the contract of marriage a devious farce. While it sounds good on the day it means nothing... at least as far as his rights anyway. This is why many men are no longer marrying. This is why 52% of marriages now fail, but 78% of divorced are initiated by women. Men don't dare start a divorce, they have too much to lose, but women know they won't lose anything and can go window shopping, then if they find a 'trade-up', they can jump on it without consequence. Or they can just decide to go back to being single and free on hubby's dime.

Lastly, in his situation, given that he didn't want to be a part-time or ex-dad, because of the law, that means he probably has to keep her around for the time being. He has no ammo against her.

But Rob also has no ammo against his wife either. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

He could get evidence and give it to Rob's wife. The courts will protect her, just like they'll protect Andrea. She would burn Rob and make sure the weekly 'recreational' fuck stops dead. Andrea will probably lose her job. Rob might too. Rob might also end up sleeping under a bridge. By all accounts, Rob and Andrea share nothing but genital friction. That means that stopping the monkey sex will kill the entire deal.

Then, all hubby has to do is spend the rest of his marriage preparing for his exit when the kids leave.

There is no way... No way, I would let it continue.

I also fully believe that if Andrea had discovered hubby stepping out instead, then he'd already be a bug on her windscreen.

AnonymousAnonymous18 days ago

A bit too repetitive, and very illogical. It's like all of the lead characters are somewhere on the spectrum.

Even thoroughly fleshed out, this story could have been done in 4 pages.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userlover1953@lover1953
I made some changes and edits to John: How to save a life, and submitted it for posting.'s (It's not up yet) I cleaned up some of the mistakes and tried to make it a tad more readable. Pending Purgatory has ended and it's posted - hope you enjoy). I've been doing a review of...

SIMILAR Stories