Joining the Pack Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She thought of Anahid, hanging, broken down in her dungeon. The hunger rose in Atalanta's throat. She wanted to drink the she-wolf dry. Take everything from her like Anahid had taken everything from her. But, she knew if she killed the bitch now then there would be nothing in this world that would stop Kaev from his vengeance.

She turned to Cassian who lay sprawled on her bed. Dymion and a few other of her favorite vampires lounged throughout the suite as well.

"Bring me the she-wolf," she growled. Just another taste.

~~

Kaev stumbled to a halt in the trees. He sensed Anahid was close. Less than a day's run away. But now he sensed something else. His hackles rose as he cast around, scenting the air. Listening for any hint of an enemy. Around him, his pack growled as well. They sensed it too.

They heard a a giggle from high in the tree and Kaev snapped his head up to find the source. A female vampire perched above them. She grinned in the darkening light at the pack of wolves below her.

"The dreaded Kaev, king among lycans," the vampiress purred. "I have a message. I think you know what it concerns."

Next to him, Variya snarled. Kaev shifted slowly, pulled out his human form though the wolf raged inside to rip this vampire limb from limb. "What's your message?" he rumbled.

The pale vampire's grin wobbled slightly as she eyed him. Did the little idiot not think he could leap into this tree after her? She'd be dead before she realized her perch was not so safe from Kaev. But he controlled his mounting rage as he watched her shift and eye the other wolves.

"Your mate is alive and can stay that way. What would you give for her life," the vampire paused, the smile creeping back onto her cold face. "Or the life of your child?"

Around Kaev the pack erupted in howls of fury and several leapt snarling to claw at the tree. He ground his teeth. How had they realized Anahid was pregant? His mind began to ricochet? Had she told them? He could only think of one reason Anahid would tell Atalanta that... The image of his mate, bound, brutalized flashed within his skull and his wolf nearly screamed with rage.

"What does Atalanta want?" Kaev forced out.

"You. Alone. Come alone to the fortress and your mate will be released."

Variya growled low in her throat in warning. "Fine," he interrupted her. "You're free to return and let Atalanta know. I'll be there at nightfall."

As the vampire slipped away through the trees Variya snarled and shifted back to her human form. "You cannot be serious. You can't trade yourself. And what assurances do we have she'll even release Anahid. Kaev, you can't do this."

He studied his friend. Her face was drawn with grief though she pushed it down, pulled up her rage to replace it. "Are you here Variya? Can you lead?"

She stilled, nodded. "Yes."

"Then find a way to save us both. Atalanta's blood is yours. For Ash."

He leapt from her, his wolf bounding out of him as he barrelled through the trees towards Anahid.

12