Jolene's Difficult Decision

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sorry, but heaven's no."

"Well, you have a gorgeous voice--so listenable, and I thought we blended well."

"So did I," she answered much more enthusiastically. "When you first came in with me, I had chills go up and down my spine from the sound of it."

"Much the same with me. I can hardly wait to do it again." Andre paused and cleared his throat. "And that first song. Oh my gosh. I think half the men in the building were, well, you know."

Her cheeks pink again, Jolene said, "That was the only song I was sure I could remember. Probably not the best for karaoke."

"Well, it was beautiful."

"Thank you. I appreciate that coming from you."

"Listen, if we're going to do this again, why don't we share cell numbers, and you can text some songs you'd like to sing, and we'll be more ready next time. We were kind of lucky this time--not every karaoke singer can do 'The Prayer.'"

Jolene was thankful she had a number to share, and she'd have to send Phil a special thank you.

They shared.

"Hey, your glass is empty. Can I get you a refill?"

"I don't know."

"We can sit here and sip and talk and let the effects wear off."

Part of her was saying no, but something else was pushing her to do it. She gave in.

"Sure. And thank you for being so generous."

"No problem. Singing with you makes it well worth it."

Warning alarms were going off in Jo's brain, and she was well aware of them. But, she was simply enjoying being with a fellow singer and talking with him. Nothing untoward was happening or was going to happen.

Andre was back, and Jo was sipping and chatting when Brenda stopped by the table, handing something to Jo and whispering in her ear. Jo nodded, and Brenda disappeared.

"How long have you two been friends?" Andre asked.

"Forever," Jo said, tossing the car keys on the table.

Andre looked from Jolene to the keys and back.

"She's met an old friend, and she's, um..."

"Enough said," Andre chuckled.

She didn't mention that Brenda had suggested that maybe she should go home with Andre. That was a frightening thought.

They talked more; Jo finished her wine and was feeling only a gentle tingle. When she stood to leave, Andre extended his arms, and they hugged. She'd been so nervous during their singing that she hadn't even noticed the wonderful aroma of his cologne. She certainly did during the hug, though.

"Let me know about the songs," he added as they parted.

Jo drove home carefully, enjoying Brenda's nearly new Honda. She parked in front of her cabin and went inside. It had been a night that she hadn't expected. She wondered what her dreams might be when she drifted off.

◇-◇-◇-◇

Jolene spent an hour the next morning reviewing songs that she had known and sung in the past. She discovered how to find them on her phone and sing along, relearning the words and some of the intricacies of the melodies and rhythms. She was enjoying it and finally realized it was because she was anticipating singing them with Andre.

But it was time to go to work, and she hadn't heard anything from Brenda. Maybe Ed would bring her by to pick it up, she thought, chuckling. She couldn't worry about that now--work was calling.

She was surprised at the heavy breakfast traffic, but it was Saturday morning, and the tips would be good. By ten thirty, there were just a few stragglers left, and Jolene was clearing and cleaning the tables when she heard a familiar voice.

"Hey, how's my favorite server doing on this beautiful Saturday morning?"

Hi, Mark. You here for an early lunch?"

"You bet. Same as last time. Do you remember?" he asked, winking at her.

"Oh my gosh," Jolene replied with a giggle. "Ah, a burger and fries with lemonade, right?

"Pretty good, Jolene. Just add some cheese to the burger this time, and it'll be perfect."

"On the way."

When she returned with his food, Mark looked around, then asked, "Do you have a minute?"

It was Jolene's turn to look around. "Looks kinda slow now, so, sure."

"Car still running good?"

"As good as it can, but yeah, okay."

"That's great. Remember me if you have more trouble."

"I sure will, Mark."

"And while you're here, let me ask if you would you like to go to a movie with me?"

Jolene's eyes went wide, and she wondered if Mark noticed. She certainly hadn't been ready to hear those words. Her first impulse was to run. The only thing that saved her was a picture of Phil that formed in her mind. Could Mark be a clone of Phil? Or her ex? She had no answer to that question, but needed to answer Mark's . Could she say that word?

"I haven't been to a movie in a long time. That sounds like fun, Mark. Sure, I'd love to."

She was amazed at how easily the words had come out. What had happened to her? She was going to have a date!

"Oh, that's super, Jolene. Thank you."

Just call me Jo," she said, and she knew she'd cherish the look on Mark's face for a long time. It had been a long time since she'd received a look like that from a man...maybe never. Certainly not from Zach. But another customer had their hand raised, and Mark saw it too.

"Skedaddle," he said. " I don't want to get you in trouble."

When she returned to Mark's table to give him his check, he handed her a small piece of paper.

"My cell number. Text when you can talk, and we'll figure out something for the movie."

"Will do." As he walked away, she saw the same five and two ones lying on the table. Maybe she'd buy popcorn at the movie.

Jo received a text from Brenda saying Ed would bring her to Jo's place and she'd pick up the car. She'd get the keys from Jo later.

It was mid-afternoon, and Jo was expecting a text message when she remembered that she had his number and not vice versa. She stepped into the kitchen and found herself smiling as she texted.

will call when I get home from work

I'll be ready came the prompt reply.

She drove home in the car Mark had repaired and found herself anxious to make the call. At twenty-eight, it had been quite a few years since she'd done anything like this, and, despite the experience with her ex, she was looking forward to it. Meeting Zach and getting married had cut that part of her life short, and she decided she was missing it.

At home, she carefully dialed Mark's number, unwilling to add it to her contacts until their first date was a success. Optimism hadn't completely taken over yet.

"Hello. Is this who I hope it is?"

Jo laughed. "I hope so."

"Thanks for calling. It just seemed funny for me to be waiting for you to call."

"Why's that?"

"I'm very traditional, I guess."

"That's nice because I am too; basically, I guess."

"Something in common already," he chucked. "Now let's see how in common our likes in movies are."

"Wow, that may be tougher." Another little laugh from Jolene.

"I love it when you laugh. It's so Iight and friendly."

"Never been told that before, but thank you."

"You're welcome. Now, what night is best for you?"

"I work Friday, so Saturday is good if that fits you." Plus, there was no karaoke this week.

"Perfect. Now for the movie." He paused.

"Um, I'm afraid I'm not very up-to-date on movies."

"Can I make a suggestion?"

"Oh my gosh, please do."

"There's a theater in town that shows older classic movies. Do you like Alfred Hitchcock?"

"I've only heard about him."

"I checked, and they're showing North by Northwest this weekend. You game?"

"I've heard of that, and I sure am."

"Give me your address, and I'll pick you up about six-thirty."

I live up in The Cabins. Are you familiar with them?"

My aunt and uncle live up there, so I am."

She recited her address.

Looking forward to it, Jo."

"Me too, Mark. See you Saturday."

◇-◇-◇-◇

Slacks and a simple blouse would do for the movie date, Jo decided. She was still arguing with herself about whether this was a wise decision, and she thought back to her father's words when he'd told her to "just date and have fun. You don't have to fall in love with every one of them." She wished she'd taken that advice with Zach. She hoped she'd learned because she certainly didn't want to go through all of that again.

Have fun. Just have fun, she kept telling herself. It seemed like a simple thing. But she wasn't sure about Mark. He appeared, so far anyway, like a great guy. Guh. Why had she said yes? Jo realized she was pacing back and forth in the living room, and her palms were sweating.

"It's just a date," she said aloud, took a deep breath, and looked out the window to see a truck pulling up in front of the cabin. Yes, she thought, it's just a date, and it's about to happen.

She went to the door and opened it before Mark could knock.

"Oh, surprised me," he said with a big smile. "I think you've got the best-looking cabin up here. It looks great."

"Thanks. I've been working on it along with a couple of friends. Come on in and see the inside."

"Looks as good in here as it does outside. Did you just paint it?"

"I think you can still smell it, can't you?" she said with a laugh.

"Naw, it just looks good."

"Thanks again. It's been a lot of work, but I feel good about it."

Mark looked around for a minute or two.

"You ready to go?"

Was she ready? After all of the thinking she had been doing? A deep breath.

"Sure. Can't wait to see...North by Northwest was it?

"That's the one. Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint. Great cast."

Mark ushered her out the door, and she waited for him to exit and then locked the door.

"I hope you're okay with a truck," he said, chuckling.

"If it runs and gets us there, I'm fine with it."

Mark helped Jo into the truck, then went around and climbed in himself. He started the truck, and as he pulled away, Jo chuckled.

"What's so funny?"

"I guess I expected a motorhead's truck to have that warm, rich rumble. This one is smooth and quiet."

"So you think I'm a motorhead?"

"That's not an insult, Mark. I mean, you repaired my car, and it seems to be running perfectly--as perfectly as a car that old can run."

"I know that, Jo. I was just teasing a little, but you're too sharp to be teased."

"Now you're teasing me even more."

Mark laughed. "Innocent of that but guilty of telling the truth."

"So, how long have you had your business?"

"About five years. Mom and dad wanted me to go to college, but I loved working on cars, so I decided I'd like to work on cars and open my own repair business. I worked on friends' cars during high school, so I knew I could do it."

"And you seem happy."

"I am, particularly today."

"Aww, thanks, Mark."

"Your turn, now. How do you like working at the diner?"

"I was surprised, you know. The serving and cleaning up are what I expected. What I hadn't expected was how much I'd enjoy meeting and getting to know all the people. It's been great."

"Not surprised. That seems to be you."

"I don't know. I guess my ex kept me away from that while we were married."

Mark looked at Jo expectantly, hoping she might continue about her ex and that part of her life, but it didn't look like it was going to happen.

Jo caught the look and debated. It was their first date, and she wasn't sure she needed to share her life story with him just yet. She wouldn't be too surprised if it were their only date, but she had no way of knowing that yet. Maybe a little wouldn't hurt.

"I was married at twenty," she began. "It just didn't work out, so I've been single for a while."

Mark nodded, a different look on his face now.

"I hate to see that happen. I've never been married, so I have no experience to draw on, but I've always hated to see marriages break up. I've had that happen to a couple of friends, and I was friends with both halves of each couple. I hated to feel like I had to choose sides."

"On my gosh, that's an awful feeling. I know exactly what you mean."

"But," Mark said, smiling, "since it did happen in the past, I'm glad I'm with you here today, heading to see North by Northwest. And," he added, "if you like a warm and rich sound, I'll take you to listen to my brother's dragster. It's VERY warm and rich...and loud."

That brought a laugh from Jo. "Earplugs in order?"

"Very much so."

"I bet you help him work on it, too."

"When I get a chance. I shouldn't complain, but the stupid garage just gets busier and busier. I had to hire two mechanics to help, and I may have to hire another. Plus, I'm thinking of adding on to the garage, but hate to go into debt to do it."

Jo chuckled, remembering how she'd told Phil she didn't want to owe money to any man. She'd totally misread Phil, and now here she was with another man, carefully working to read him as well. She was zero for two so far in reading men, misreading in the wrong direction with each one. She knew that three-thirty-three wasn't a bad batting average--but she wasn't playing baseball.

"That sounds good, though, Mark."

"Oh, it is. But I need something to complain about." He laughed. "I'm fortunate," he added. "I'm doing so well. I had a dream...and it's coming true."

Jolene was watching Mark's face, a look of satisfied happiness apparent there. His joy was contagious and had Jo feeling happier than she had anticipated.

They continued talking and laughing until Mark pulled into the parking lot of the theater. He helped her climb out of the truck, and she watched as he bought the tickets the old-fashioned way at a little booth where the lady selling them punched a button and the one-inch-long pink ticket popped up through a slot in front of her.

"Kind of unique, not having the tickets come to your phone," she said when Mark handed her one.

"Mom says I've always been this way, nostalgic, even though I'd only read or heard about it. I just find things like this, well, neat."

Jo smiled. She'd always run from the past, eager to embrace technology and modern things and devices. Of course, her cabin was anything but those, and she was enjoying the cabin. Perhaps she was more nostalgic than she thought.

"I'm buying the popcorn."

"Jo, you don't have to do that."

She burst out laughing.

"What?" Mark questioned.

"It's kind of a personal joke. Phil, the guy who helped with the cabin, would say he was going to do something, and I'd say, Phil, you don't have to do that. But he always did, so I removed those words from my speech. It was fun to hear them again."

"Well, you don't have to buy the popcorn."

"It's my weak effort to drag you out of the old way of doing things."

Mark laughed. "It just means I'll have to leave a bigger tip at the diner."

"Grrr. You buy the drinks, I'll get the popcorn, and we'll watch the movie. I'm anxious to see it."

And that's what they did.

Outside, Mark asked, "Well, How'd you like the old movie?"

"I loved it. A wonderful story with good characters."

"And no wild special effects."

"No. The things at Mount Rushmore were exciting, too. And that airplane."

"I loved it. I'll check, and maybe we can catch another classic."

"That would be fun." Jo realized that her words paved the way for a second date with Mark. She'd said it without pondering the implications, but she'd had a good time with Mark and didn't see any reason not to have a second date. Dates weren't commitments, which she wasn't ready for yet.

More talk and laughing on the trip to Jo's cabin.

"I may have to get a little running board added here," Mark said as he helped her down from the truck.

He walked her to the door and extended his arms. They hugged.

Jolene wondered if he could hear her sigh of relief. She wasn't ready yet for a good night kiss. But, with Mark, the hug seemed appropriate.

"I really enjoyed the evening, Jo. I'm sure I'll be seeing you at the diner. Plus, I'll be watching for a good movie."

"Same here, Mark. I'll be looking for you at the diner."

She unlocķed the door but stood outside while Mark walked to his truck. She waved as he drove away. As she dressed for bed, she knew she had some things to think about. Mark wasn't anything like Zach, and he was very different from Andre as well. The way Mark had looked at her said more than his words. It made her feel warm and, well, special.

◇-◇-◇-◇

When her phone signaled a text message, Jo glanced at the screen. Andre.

are you ready to talk about what to sing this Saturday

sure

Five seconds later, her phone rang.

"Hi."

"Hello, Jo. This is karaoke weekend. Any ideas about what we can sing together?"

"Can I be selfish, Andre?"

"Selfish?"

"Yeah. A song I know well."

"Sure, but I probably know it too."

"How about "All I Ask of You" from Phantom of the Opera?"

"That's beautiful, and I've sung it. Should we practice?"

"That would be cheating for karaoke," Jo replied, laughing.

There was a slight pause from the other end of the line.

"When I hear you laugh, it makes me smile too."

"Thank you, Andre. There was a time not long ago that I didn't laugh very often."

"That's hard to imagine, Jo."

"I still need to figure out what I'm going to sing."

"How about "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" from The Sound of Music ?"

"I've done that one before. Not easy, but okay."

"I still have to figure something out. I may surprise you."

"I guess we're set, then."

"Sounds like it. Looking forward to Saturday."

She was thankful that Charlene had shown her how to get music on her phone. And she gave thanks for Phil one more time. It did allow her to practice, and she was anxious to do that. By Saturday, she was ready.

When Jo arrived at the club, Andre was already there.

"We forgot to talk about who sings when," he said.

"That's almost like practicing," she replied, chuckling.

"You're really a karaoke purist, aren't you?"

"The squeezing worked last time, so I figured it would work this time too."

"Well, I enjoyed squeezing you last time, so I'm happy to do it again." He finished with a broad smile on his face.

Jo looked away, wondering exactly what he'd meant by that statement...and that smile. Was it an innocent statement, or was there hidden meaning? Perhaps not so hidden?

When she looked again, Andre, in his shiny silken shirt and black slacks, was still smiling. She couldn't help but return the smile.

"About five minutes," he said.

"You're first this time," Jo said, nodding.

"I can do that. You sing yours after that, then we'll sing together."

That's the way it happened, but not without a surprise. When Andre began singing "Can't Help Falling in Love," Jo remembered the smile. She wondered if he was up to something or going somewhere she wasn't sure she wanted him going.

When he finished, he beckoned her to the mic, and she sang to loud cheers and applause from the larger-than-usual crowd. It seemed that word had gotten out.

Now Andre was back, his arm around her waist ready to squeeze. After the smile and the song, she wished they had rehearsed, and he wouldn't be squeezing her repeatedly while they sang.

They sang with Andre squeezing and the music of Phantom filling the room. More applause and cheers, plus high fives and pats on the back as they went to a table.

"I don't know, Jo. I've never sung with anyone who...well, we blend so well, and I can hear that as we're singing."

Jo felt the same. When she sang with Andre, the sound of their voices together made her tingle. It was a wonderful experience that she had already begun to treasure. She was sure Andre would want to do this more, and she was willing to join him.

"I know, Andre. I wish I could sit out there and listen to us."

"Tonight was recorded, but I doubt it will sound much like we do live. I'd love to have a good recording."

Jo thought that Andre had left that last statement hanging...and she wasn't going to respond.