Jolene's Difficult Decision

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I thought we sounded even better than last time," he continued, "and I'm anxious for the next duet. In the meantime, how about having dinner with me Tuesday evening?"

His words were so surprising she was sure her mouth fell open. He'd just asked her for a date. But she'd just had a date with Mark. It had been a fun date, and that's all she'd wanted it to be. If she refused the date with Andre, it would mean the first date had more significance than she was willing to give it. It wasn't exactly cheating on Mark. Plus, Andre was...a surgeon.

"I know Tuesday is an odd time to...well, have a dinner date, but I have an odd job, and my schedule is a challenge sometimes."

"I wouldn't call being a surgeon an odd job, Jo said, chuckling.

Andre's turn to laugh. "It's just the weird scheduling and long hours that make it difficult to have a reasonable personal life. Takes a lot of schmoozing to get karaoke nights off." He smiled warmly at Jolene. "But it's worth it."

She returned his smile, but he needed an answer. She couldn't think of any reason to say no.

"Sure, Andre. That should be enjoyable. And we can talk about more music."

"Thank you," Andre said enthusiastically. "Let's go to Richardson's if that's alright with you."

Jo's eyes opened wide. She'd never been to Richardson's and didn't think she even knew anyone who had been there...except perhaps Andre. Her heart was pounding as she thought about that. She'd heard stories. All of them said you'd better have a lot of money if you went to Richardson's. And she was going.

"Are you sure, Andre?" she asked, almost reflexively.

Andre smiled, and she wondered what he was thinking about her obvious reaction.

"I'm doubly sure, Jo. What's your schedule on Tuesday?"

"I only work until five on Tuesday." That was the one day she was off early.

"I'll pick you up at seven if that works for you."

"That's fine," she said, a little surprised at how accommodating Andre was. She had just anticipated that a surgeon would be more, well, set in what he wanted. She was just a poor lady living in a tiny cabin in the woods.

The next morning, Jo made a phone call.

"Hello, Jo. I haven't heard from you in a while."

"Hi, Suzanne. There's been a lot going on, but it's good to talk to you."

Suzanne Kelly was her ex's sister, and they had stayed good friends despite the divorce. Suzanne had realized what a crud ball her brother had been and took Jolene's side.

"I need help," Jo said, an almost pleading tone to her voice.

"Sure. What's up?"

"Well, someone asked me for a date and..."

"Ohhh, someone?"

"Yeah, someone. A surgeon, someone."

"Oh my gosh, that's fantastic."

"We're going to Richardson's for dinner."

Silence from Suzanne's end. "Richardson's?"

"Yeah, and I need help. I don't have anything to wear."

"Are we still the same size?" Suzanne asked with a chuckle.

"I am."

"So am I, so I may be able to help. If you come over, we can go through my things. I bet I have something you can wear."

"I'll be there in twenty minutes."

Actually, it was twenty-two minutes as she had to pull over twice for emergency vehicles.

"I've gone through all my things and picked out three I think might do. Up to you, though. Besides, when you're all fixed up, what you're wearing is secondary to how you look."

"Cut it out, Suz. But thanks. I don't know. I guess I want to look good and not embarrass Andre."

"Andre, and a surgeon. I bet he has black, wavy hair."

"How did you know that?"

Suzanne laughed. "It just seems to fit. And how did you meet him?"

Jo related the story of the karaoke and them singing together as she sorted through the dresses Suzanne had picked.

"I knew that singing would get you ahead someday."

"Well, it has been fun singing with him. Our voices really go together well."

"Aww. And what else will go together well?" she asked with a suggestive leer.

"Suzanne! That's horrible."

Jo couldn't keep from laughing at her former sister-in-law but wouldn't allow her mind to picture what Suzanne was hinting about, though.

"I think I'll play it safe with this black dress." Jo pulled off her slacks and blouse and put on the black dress.

"Not much skin showing." Suzanne teased. After a stern look from Jolene, she added, "I guess you'll just have to count on your face."

"Count on my face?"

"To, you know, seduce him."

"Suzanne, good lord. The last thing I want is to seduce him."

"I don't know, Jo. I think you deserve a surgeon after putting up with my brother."

"I might have to agree with the brother thing. But I'm not after any kind of relationship. I just want to go out, relax, and have a good time."

"Pardon my meddling, Jo, but you'd be a wonderful catch for some man. Maybe even a doctor."

"We sing, and now we're going to have dinner together. That's it."

"Does Andre know that's it?"

She would bring that up, Jo thought. It was Andre who'd asked for the date, and she still wondered about the smile she'd gotten when she'd said yes. Was Andre looking for more? She was sure she'd find out on Tuesday.

"Guh. I don't know, Suzanne. I'm suspicious."

Of course, there was also Mark. What was he expecting? Another question to deal with.

"But you need to be fair to him. When's the date?"

"Tuesday evening."

"That's kinda weird."

"He said his schedule is kind of chaotic, so Tuesday was the only choice."

"I'm free Tuesday, so I'll come and help with your makeup, just like the old days." A big smile filled Suzanne's face.

"Thanks. You'd think I'd have learned by now," Jo said with an embarrassed giggle.

Tuesday, when Jolene got home from the diner, Suzanne's car was already there. They hugged and went inside.

"I apologize," Jo said. "Last time we were together, it was all about me. What's going on with you?"

Suzanne chuckled. "Same Suz with the guy of the month. Not quite that bad, but not much different. I don't know, Jo. I'm not sure if I can't find a good one or if I'm too impatient to allow them time to show how good they are."

Jo giggled. "Sounds familiar."

"Disgustingly familiar. But tonight is about you...and Andre. Going to Richardson's, you need to look like you belong there. Do you think Andre will be, well, let's just say, well-dressed?"

Jolene remembered their last karaoke session. "Yes, I think so."

"Then you need to match him. Let's get you dressed and see."

Jo went into the bedroom, Suzanne right behind her.

"I've seen you naked before, so just keep going."

"Well, I am going to take a shower."

"I have my phone, so take your time."

Jo finished the shower and was ready to dress.

"I hope you have black underwear."

"Why? It's going to be hidden."

"It has to do with your mind. Knowing you have on lacy black underthings makes you feel differently about yourself. I'm sure my brother bought you lacy underwear...among other things."

"Suzanne!" Jo's cheeks quickly turned pink since Zach did buy her...other things.

"It works. Believe me. You'll feel very special knowing how you look underneath."

Jo was processing what Suzanne was saying and also picturing herself underneath with nothing to cover her. She was red to her chest thinking about that. Suzanne's suggestive chuckle told Jo she wasn't the only one thinking that way.

She went to her dresser and retrieved several black and lacy items, holding one of them up in front of her, quickly wishing she hadn't.

"Ohh, that one," Suzanne squealed.

"I'm not wearing that one," Jo said very firmly.

"It's gorgeous and would help with those good feelings."

"It doesn't even cover my...nipples," Jo replied, almost glaring at Suzanne.

"Doesn't look like it would. That is SEXY, sis."

Jo remembered wearing it one time, and her bare nipples rubbing on the inside of the dress she was wearing nearly drove her insane. It had ruined her evening. She tossed it aside and picked up another.

"This one will do," she said.

"Transparent isn't any good when it isn't seen."

"It's better for me that way." She fastened the bra and tugged it into place.

"Okay, not bad," Suz said, relenting a little.

"And these panties are the other half of the set."

"Not a thong, but cute."

"Why did I ever ask you to help," Jolene said, rolling her eyes and laughing.

"Because you're too timid to take a chance, and you knew I'd push you."

Maybe that was it, but Jo would never admit it. She didn't want to do anything to further encourage or tempt Andre.

Jolene pulled on dark thigh-high stockings, the black dress, and the high heels she was wearing. She sat while Suzanne carefully took care of her makeup and hair, then went to the full-length mirror.

What she saw surprised her in a way. She'd always known she was a pretty woman. She'd been told that enough times in one way or another. The lady in the mirror was far from the ponytailed, scruffy blond she'd been at the cabin...even though she was in the cabin right now. She took a deep breath.

"Every time I've helped you get cleaned up, it makes me jealous." Suz smiled.

"Oh, cut it out, Suz. We've been through this before."

"Yeah, I know, but your blond hair and blue eyes are to die for, Jo. And Andre will love it."

"That's what I'm afraid of," Jo said, closing her eyes and shaking her head.

"You're way too stubborn, you know."

"Just experience," Jo replied glumly.

"Yeah. Remind me to give my brother a kick in the ass the next time I see him."

"The ass?"

"Maybe that other place too."

Laughing, they headed to the living room and reminisced. They'd known each other for years now, and Suzanne had been a rock for Jo during the divorce from her brother.

"I'll disappear when Andre gets here. No sense trying to explain who I am. And speak of the devil, a car just pulled up in front, a sleek little thing, too," she added, peeking out the window. She spun around and headed for the bedroom.

Jo peeked out the window as well, barely able to make out the word Porsche on the car. She sighed, waiting. The knock came, and she opened the door.

"Oh...my...gosh," the dapper gentleman said, mouth wide open.

Cheeks pink, Jo said. "Come on in while I get my jacket."

"Is that your Nissan out front?"

"No, it belongs to my good friend, Suzanne." I might as well, Jo thought. "Suz, come out and meet Andre."

The bedroom door opened, and a reluctant Suzanne appeared.

"Suzanne Kelly, this is Andre Schneider."

"Do you sing, too?" Andre asked as they shook hands.

Suzanne snorted. "Good lord, no. Jo sings for both of us."

"And very well, too," Andre said, returning his gaze to Jolene.

"Let me get my jacket," Jo fairly murmured as she headed to the bedroom.

"She's beautiful," Andre said, nodding.

"Gorgeous. She's always been that way too, in more ways than just her face."

"What are you two talking about?" Jo asked as she came back to the living room holding her jacket.

"You. I'm filling Andre in."

Jo obviously was afraid to ask more questions. "Can we leave and get away from this one?"

"My pleasure. Good to meet you, Suzanne," Andre said he he helped Jo with the jacket.

He held the door as Jo squirmed into the Porsche, then hurried around and seated himself. He helped Jo fasten her seat belt, then did his own.

"Nice car," she ventured.

"Thanks. It's just a Boxster. Gonna have a 911 one of these days."

The name and number meant nothing to Jolene, and she was sure her face showed that.

"Ah, you're not a Porsche fan, then?"

"I've just heard a little about them, but no, I don't really know anything about them."

"They're fun cars. You ever drive a stick?"

"A few times, but not lately."

"This is lately. Wanna drive this?"

"Oh my gosh, no," she said quickly.

"Why not, and be honest.?"

Jo sucked in a deep breath. "Honestly, I'm sure a car like this is expensive, and I'd hate to do anything to damage it." The deep breath hadn't stopped her trembling.

"Yep, and I know exactly how expensive it is. But it's more important for you to have some fun and be a little daring. So I'm anxious for you to drive it."

"Andre, look," she said, holding out her trembling hand. "I'm not quite to the terrified stage, but getting close just thinking about that."

He took hold of her hand and squeezed it. "If anyone should be terrified, it would be me, letting you drive my Porsche Boxster. But I'm not...at all." He opened the door and slid out of the car. "Come on, let's go." He walked around the car and opened the door of the unmoving Jolene. He grabbed her hand and tugged.

"Andre, please," she pleaded.

"Jolene, please," he pleaded right back at her.

"What if I damage it?" she asked, not yet ready to relent.

"Then I'll get it repaired...and you'll drive it again."

She closed her eyes, but Andre was tugging relentlessly on her hand.

"I hope both of us aren't sorry," she finally said, allowing him to help her out of the car.

Settled into the slightly adjusted driver's seat, Andre beside her, smiling, she was ready to go. At least, she hoped so.

"Push in the clutch, then use the key to start it."

Jo did as instructed, and a rich rumble filled the air. That sound did nothing to alleviate Jo's anxiety.

"I have to back out," she said as the realization struck her.

"Unless you want to drive across your lawn."

It wasn't much of a lawn, so that wasn't an issue. The issue was, very suddenly, she wanted to show Andre she could do it. She'd driven a stick before. Not a six-speed, but she'd do it. She'd listen carefully and figure it out. She looked at the shift knob with the gear pattern on the top, found the R, and shifted.

"Not too much accelerator," Andre cautioned.

Jo pressed the accelerator very gently, then slowly let out the clutch. A tiny jerk, but they were moving. She rolled out to the road, turned the steering wheel, then pressed the brake, nearly forgetting the clutch.

"Good rescue," Andre teased. "Let's go, and I'll help with the shifting."

She did well as they moved through the cabin area, then onto the small road that led to the highway that would take them into town. She stopped there and switched off the engine.

"Out here," she said, "there are more people involved than just the two of us. A mistake could affect others, so now it's your turn.

Andre laughed. "You were a good sport, and I certainly respect that. I'll get us to Richardson's." He climbed out but stood by the door until Jo was in her seat.

Once Andre was driving, the rumble of the engine was much louder, and they were moving a good deal faster than they had been. They laughed and talked until the car was parked in the lot at Richardson's.

"Come, m'lady," he said, "and dine with me."

Jo was planning on doing just that.

Inside, the Matire d' took her jacket, hanging it in a small alcove behind his station, then guided them to a small table along one wall. Jo looked through the menu, being drawn to the simpler items whose names were familiar. Many items were foreign words she didn't understand.

"See anything that looks good, Jo?" Andre asked with a smile.

"Everything looks delicious." Not sure why she said it, she asked, "Do you have any suggestions?"

Andre smiled once more. "You showed your spunk and daring when you drove the Porsche. Are you ready for more adventure?"

Jo eyed him suspiciously. "Can I trust you?" She asked, chuckling.

"Absolutely. I pledge that if I suggest something, and you agree, I will order the same thing."

"Sounds fair. Why don't you order for us both, then."

"Wow. I'm not sure I'd trust me that much, but I'll do it very carefully. Plus, if you don't care for it, you can order something that you will enjoy."

"I'm not going to do that," she replied. "My guess is that everything they serve here is

delicious."

"I'm sure that's right," Andre said as their server appeared.

A quick discussion and two glasses of chardonnay were on their table.

"This is different from what I had at the club," Jo declared after taking her first sip.

"Same wine, just a better vintage."

In moments the server returned.

"The beautiful lady and I will have the Boeuf Bourguignon with the Dauphinoise potatoes."

"A wonderful choice, sir. It's our chef's favorite."

"It's made with red wine, but I remembered that you like the white, so once more, you're defying tradition."

Andre seemed to be emphasizing how much she was defying tradition. She wondered if he was just describing what was happening or was there something more subtle behind his words. He was obviously an intelligent guy, so she couldn't ignore that possibility. That is, if she was sticking with her no attachment life. So far, she had no reason to change it.

The food arrived; Jo sampled a tiny bit, then saw the anticipatory look on Andre's face.

"Oh...my...gosh. This is delicious with a capital D."

"Fantastic! I so hoped you'd enjoy it."

"Your hopes are fulfilled," she said as she took another bite. She thought of the food at the diner, which was good, but this had a uniqueness she couldn't imagine.

Dessert followed, and they chatted over a second glass of wine.

There was no argument about Andre driving home, and the big smile on his face as he demonstrated to a very wary Jolene the power and handling of the Porsche showed that he was enjoying himself.

"After you've driven it three or four times, you'll be doing those stunts too," he said as he slowed and turned into the cabin area. Another few minutes and he was at her cabin.

"Jo, I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed being with you this evening. You're so easy to talk to...and so pleasant to look at."

In the darkness, he couldn't see her cheeks reddening.

"I had fun too, Andre. And going to Richardson's was an experience I'll remember for sure. As far as driving the Porsche, I'll take a raincheck on that. It was fun for sure, but it makes me terribly nervous."

Andre laughed as he opened his door and climbed out, hurrying around and helping her out. They walked to the front door. Perhaps it was the light from the almost full moon that allowed him to see the look on her face, for she was sure he was about to kiss her when he stopped and angled in from the side, kissing her gently on the cheek.

"Listen, I have no idea about my schedule, but can I at least ask if we can do this again when I know what days I'll have free?"

Jo had been anticipating that question as they walked to the door. A part of her was telling her to say no, but another part was telling her just the opposite. She'd had fun, and Andre was certainly introducing her to new and exciting things. Plus, she knew they'd be singing again at the club.

She sighed, working to keep it quiet.

"Sure," she said simply as he opened the screen door for her.

"Great. I'll keep in touch."

She unlocked the door and went inside.

◇-◇-◇-◇

It was a little before noon when Mark came through the door of the diner. Jo had just gone to the kitchen and saw him through the window where the food was set out for whoever was serving. Her heart skipped a beat just because he was here and she'd been out with Andre last night. Despite her no attachments resolve, she'd had two dates and was now wondering about her reaction to that having happened.

"Ah, there you are," Mark said when Jo approached his table. "I was afraid you might be off today."

"Not on Wednesday," she replied with a chuckle.

"That's great. I'll take the usual."

"Which usual, the cheeseburger and fries?"

"I guess I do order other things," he said to a nod from Jolene. "But, yeah, the cheeseburger."

Jo took the order to the window, then returned to Mark's table.

"The Greatest Show on Earth is showing this Saturday. Would you like to see it?"