Jolene's Difficult Decision

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She knew it was coming, that he'd ask for another date. She still had to think about it, silly as that seemed. She'd basically agreed to a second date with Andre, and since there were no attachments, she knew she'd accept this date while wondering what the future might hold.

"I've never seen that one, so I'd love to go." As she heard herself speak, she wondered at her choice of words, one in particular. She was uneasy about creating the wrong impression.

"Great, Jo. Same time good?"

"I'll be ready." She hoped she would be.

The ready bell rang, and Jo picked up Mark's lunch and delivered it to his table.

"The food is always great here, delicious, you know. Do you eat here?" he asked with a laugh.

"Lots of days, I eat just what you're having, and it's always good, thanks to Charlene." As she said that, she remembered her meal at Richardson's. It was an almost total disconnect. She blinked hard to clear that picture from her mind's view.

"My thanks to Charlene, too. I love good food but living by myself, I don't get much of it. Do you cook for yourself, Jo?"

Mark was anything but subtle.

"I do most of the time. I've gotten good at preparing small portions."

"That's cool. Maybe you can give me lessons on that sometime. I need help."

Jo chose that moment to move quickly to another customer with an apology to Mark, choosing not to respond to his not-so-clever invitation. But even the little she knew of Mark told her he wouldn't let go of it. His sincere interest in her was obvious, and it seemed to warm her to realize that.

Nevertheless, she had now agreed to a second date with two men. Her father had told her to date just to have fun, and she was doing that...so far. She wondered if she was just fooling herself. The fact that there were two men made her feel better. Of course, the big question she had to deal with was the fairness of it to Mark and Andre. But she was unwilling to decide anything right now.

Mark came to the diner one more time before their Saturday date. And Andre called to discuss what they'd be singing on karaoke night. He wanted to do the Celine Deon/Peabo Bryson version of "Beauty and the Beast" so her phone would be put to good use again. He was going to sing "Maria" from West Side Story. Jo had to decide what she'd sing this time, being sure it was not a love song of any type. She had no intention of encouraging Andre with her song. She wanted something simple, perhaps "Edelweiss" from The Sound of Music.

The weekend happened.

On Friday evening, Jolene sang Edelweiss to an appreciative crowd that was growing larger week by week, drawn by the drinks, camaraderie, and the very special music that had come to be expected. The club owner was providing free wine to Jo and Andre, a small price for the increased business they were providing.

Following Jo came Andre and his rendition of "Maria." The crowd began to stir as Jo joined him at the microphone. When they recognized the opening notes of "Beauty and the Beast," there was an audible murmur from the crowd. Once again, chills ran down Jo's spine at the blending of their voices. Before, Andre had put his arm loosely around Jo's waist and squeezed to let her know who was to sing next. Tonight that wasn't necessary, but he was holding her tightly, with occasional squeezes as he sang. When they finished, she was pulled into a tight hug, accompanied by a kiss to the top of her head.

Jo wished he hadn't done that. It was beyond the realm of what she had chosen for her life. She was beginning to understand Andre, and she wished she could understand herself.

They had another glass of wine, talked, and listened to other singers, none of whom matched Jo and Andre, either individually or together. When they left together, she was swallowed up in a long and very warm hug. When he looked at her, it wasn't difficult to see what he was expecting. But Jo wasn't quite ready yet and stepped away.

Andre looked a little chagrined, and Jo was afraid she'd offended him by her quick exit from the hug.

"Have you seen The Phantom of the Opera?"

Jo felt relieved that he was on another subject. But what he had asked was sinking in. Had a poor woman who lived in a cabin in the woods spent a small fortune for tickets to Phantom?

"No, I haven't," she said, trying to remain calm.

"My schedule," he began, then shook his head. "I took a chance and picked up two tickets for next Wednesday night at the Hartman. I enjoy going there. It's so beautiful since it was restored."

Jolene bit her lower lip. She loved the music but seeing the show live...on stage. It was a dream she'd never even considered before. But Andre was offering it, looking at her expectantly...and waiting.

"Oh, yes," she gushed. "I'd love to see it."

"And now, we can sing along with the music," he joked, giving her a hug. "I so appreciate you putting up with the idiosyncrasies of my schedule. I think lots of ladies wouldn't do that."

So, for Andre, she was in a special class. He didn't seem to realize that if she wanted the very special things he was providing for her, putting up with his schedule was anything but an annoyance. This was a whole new world she was exploring, and she was excited about it while, at the same time, she was circumspect about allowing herself to be carried away by what was happening. Balancing those two things was becoming very difficult.

It was time to head home, though, and Andre walked her to her battered old Chevrolet, hugged her, and kissed her on the cheek once again. She did appreciate his patience as he seemed willing to move slowly. While that comforted her, it also told her how he felt about her--and that she was something he was willing to wait for. After Zach, this was certainly a pleasant counterpoint to where she'd been before.

As she drove home, thinking about going to see Phantom next week, she remembered that she had a date tomorrow night to see The Greatest Show on Earth with Mark.

He picked her up in his truck, not offering to let her drive--she could have driven the truck with no problem. Popcorn and soft drinks, an excellent movie, and afterward, they went to Wendy's for junior bacon cheeseburgers and fries, her idea since it was late enough that she didn't want to overeat and then stay awake with indigestion.

Mark was excited to detail to her his plans for expanding the garage. He had two men who worked for him now, and there was no place for more without adding an addition to the garage, which he planned to do. He wanted to double the size and have space for a total of six mechanics to work at any one time.

"Mark, that has to be so expensive to do; build an addition and get all the equipment, including those lifts that raise your car."

"I've been saving and talking to the bank, and they seem enthusiastic to help me. That's made me feel good about the project since they know way more about financial things than I do."

"I can see how excited you are just from listening to you talking about it. When do you think it can happen?"

"Not for a year, for sure. Maybe two. I'll just have to see how everything works out."

The huge smile on Mark's face told her how excited he was about expanding his garage and mechanic's business. Plus, she was finding that his excitement was enveloping her as well, and she was anxious to see him succeed.

He was so unassuming and easy to talk to that she enjoyed being with him. At the cabin, he walked her to the door and hugged her.

"I'm excited about your business," she said. "I can hardly wait to see it."

"It won't be fast, but it's going to happen. I'm just sure of it."

Impulsively, Jo leaned in and kissed him on the cheek. It just seemed the right thing to do. And, thank goodness, he didn't try to kiss her back as she was already working to decipher why she had done it. She did enjoy the big smile she received and the way he was nibbling his lower lip

◇-◇-◇-◇

She slept well that night, but in the morning, she was unsettled. She made two phone calls, and within thirty minutes, there were three of them sitting in the living room of Jolene's cabin.

"So, what is this mysterious meeting on Sunday morning that I've been summoned to," Brenda had asked as she came through the door. "And, yes, I'd love a cup of coffee."

"Help yourself; it's on the counter over there."

As she poured the coffee, Brenda said, "I didn't hear an answer to my first question."

Before Jo could reply, there was another knock on the door.

Suzanne came through the door, let out a squeal, and ran to the kitchen to give Brenda a hug.

"When was the last time I saw you?" she asked, leaning back to get a good look at Brenda's face.

"It's been years, hon. The three of us should get together more often, kind of a female version of the Three Muskateers."

"Oh my gosh, we could have so much fun...and adventure," Brenda added with kind of a lascivious grin."

Jo shook her head while Suzanne just laughed.

"That's partly why the two of you are here," Jo said, taking a deep breath.

"You setting up an adventure?" Brenda said, giggling.

"No, but you got me doing the karaoke again, and that guy who sang with me the night you were there has been there every night, and we've sung together...and he asked me for a date."

Suzanne looked at Brenda. "So you got her fixed up with a guy."

"I just took her to The Carolinian Club; I think she took care of the rest."

"So you had a date with him? Is he a good-looking guy?"

"Yes, and he's a surgeon, he took me to Richardson's for dinner, and he drives a Porsche, and he let me drive it."

"Oh my gosh, Jo. Any guy who lets you drive his Porsche has got to be very serious about you." Brenda chuckled. "I've never had a guy let me drive his Porsche. I've never even dated a guy who had a Porsche. A surgeon? And Richardson's? You'll have to tell me about that sometime because I'm never gonna get to eat there. "

"Well, I have another date with him this Wednesday, to go see Phantom of the Opera."

"So, why is that a problem, Jo? It seems like a perfect situation to me. I think I'd trade places with you in a second." Suzanne was shaking her head, a puzzled expression on her face.

"Well, I've had two other dates as well."

"With the surgeon?"

"Aha," Brenda tossed in. "I think I'm getting the picture. There's someone else."

Jo took a deep breath. "I've had two dates with Mark Barnhart. He owns the garage in the village and repaired my car. He comes into the diner where I work, talks with me...and leaves a big tip."

"So you're trying to decide between a surgeon and an auto mechanic? Is that why we're here?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Well, let me get some coffee, and we can start," Suzanne said, heading to the kitchen.

"I was hoping, you know, when I took you to The Carolinian, that it would encourage you to get out and meet someone. I never dreamed."

"I just enjoyed singing with him."

"You sound great together."

Suzanne dove right into things. "It sounds to me like these two are almost total opposites."

"Outwardly, they are. But they're both sweet, kind, and considerate."

"Your life has always been a struggle, right?" Brenda asked.

"Pretty much, yeah."

"So this surgeon--what's his name?"

"Andre."

"He could give you everything you've never had. Do you think you could love him?"

"Guh. I don't know, but I haven't seen anything to make me think I couldn't."

"Any downside so far?"

"Not much, just his schedule. But we've only had one date, and a few hours of chatting doesn't give a very deep understanding.

"You two kissed yet?"

Jo's face turned very red. "Just on the cheek and the top of my head--him, not me."

"It sounds like you two are not locked together yet, then."

"Um, yeah, not quite," Jo replied, glancing from Brenda to Suzanne.

"What about this other guy, Mark?"

"We've gone to see two classic movies together--he loves them...and I really enjoyed them too."

"And he owns the garage in the village?"

"Yes, and he wants to expand and double its size. He's been saving, and he says the bank is ready to help. He told me all about what he plans to do. He's really excited about it."

"I think someone else is excited too."

"What?" Jo said as Brenda laughed.

"Just reading your face, sis."

"It's just so obvious that he's excited and ready to get started. I guess I'm kinda sharing his excitement."

"He's from right here in the village, isn't he?"

"Yeah."

"Like you."

"What are you saying, Suzanne?"

Suzanne looked at Brenda. "I think you two are a lot alike, and you feel comfortable with him."

"I do that. He drives a truck."

"Not a Porsche?"

Jo laughed. "A long way from a Porsche."

"The kiss question again."

"On the cheek, and..."

"And?"

"I kissed him on the cheek after he told me about his plans for the garage. I just felt so much a part of it."

"Why don't we fix some breakfast because I think your question is answered?"

"It can't be that easy," Jo said, shaking her head.

"Just go with what we talked about and see what happens."

Jo knew that, for things to happen, she'd have to make them happen...at least some of the things. She wasn't looking forward to some of it, but she knew she'd feel more settled once something was, well, settled. While they ate, Suzanne and Brenda did an abundance of catching up, giving Jo a chance to mull over what they had just discussed.

"So, Jo, you've been quiet. Have you worked everything out while we were talking?"

"I've worked it out in my head, but there are two men involved, and I hope that what I've worked out will work out with them."

"You need any help, both of us are there for you. I still feel guilty for sort of pushing my brother onto you before I knew what he was really like. At least with women." Suzanne finished saying that as she hugged Jolene.

"Don't feel that way. I went into it with my eyes wide open."

"Just like you are now, right?"

Jo sighed. "I guess I am a little wiser today than I was then."

"Like the words from that old show, The Music Man "The sadder but wiser girl for me."

"That's me, and maybe that's something I should sing on karaoke night."

That had all three of them laughing.

In another hour, both Suzanne and Brenda were heading home, and Jolene was planning her next few days.

◇-◇-◇-◇

She had the date with Andre on Wednesday, and she needed to talk to him then. Plus, she totally expected to see Mark show up at the diner for lunch...and ask her for another date. She prayed that Andre didn't have a temper and that he would accept her choice gracefully. What if he asked her to keep singing with him? She enjoyed the singing--really enjoyed it and would love to keep doing it. Plus, she hoped Mark wanted the same things she did. She'd be crushed if he didn't. Guh, even when she was happy, she could make herself worry.

As Jo had anticipated, Mark came to the diner for lunch on Tuesday. She needed to tell him about Andre, but she also needed to satisfy her nervousness about Mark. After he had ordered and she had brought the food, she stood behind him, put her hands on his shoulders, and leaned down to whisper in his ear.

"I have a big favor to ask of you." That certainly got his attention, and food was suddenly secondary.

"Ask away," he replied eagerly, smiling up at her.

"Will take too long. Can you pick me up after work, about five-fifteen?"

An even bigger smile filled his face. You bet I can."

"Thanks," she said, her smile matching his. When she returned to clear his table, there was the usual five dollar bill, plus a one and a large coin. It was a silver dollar. She'd never even seen a silver dollar before. She wondered what he was up to.

She wondered if she'd find out as she saw his truck sitting in front of the restaurant at a little before five-fifteen. Charlene saw it too and told her to "get outta here," which she quickly did. She climbed up into the passenger seat.

Before Mark could say anything, she said, "Hopefully, you can bring me back later to get my car, but I just wanted to ride with you." She wasn't sure she'd ever seen such a pleased look on Mark's face."

"That makes me very happy and also curious about why I'm picking you up."

"Two reasons. First, I want you to take me to the garage for a show and tell. I want you to show me how you want to expand and tell me more about how you're going to do it. Second, I just like being with you."

"Jo, for the first one, I'd be more than happy to do that in great detail. For the second, it goes double for me." He reached over and squeezed her hand. When he let go, she grabbed his hand and held on as he drove away.

The garage closed at five-thirty, and that was the time Marked pulled into his usual parking place. As they went inside, two men in coveralls were headed toward the door.

"Glad you're back, boss. We weren't sure whether to lock up or what," the tall, slender one said, glancing from Mark to Jo.

"I guess I forgot to say, didn't I," Mark said with a laugh.

"And I guess I can see why you were a little distracted," the shorter, heavier one said.

"Guys, this is Jolene Baughman, a friend of mine. Jo, this is Sonny and Jim Bob."

"I'm still greasy, so I'll skip shaking hands," Sonny said, bowing his head to Jo. "But it's always nice to meet a pretty woman like you."

Of course, Jo began to blush.

"Amen, brother," Jim Bob added, also bowing his head slightly toward Jo. "And ma'am, I apologize for both of us for embarrassing you like that.

"Be good, now, boss," Sonny said, chuckling as the two went out the door.

"They're both terrific mechanics and reliable, too," Mark said a little nervously, hoping the two hadn't messed up his evening with Jolene.

"I don't think you'd hire anything else," she assured him.

They spent the next half hour touring the garage and the area outside, Mark showing her where the new building would be built, how it would connect to the old structure, and where the new office would be located. He seemed very proud that the expanded business would have an office.

Jo asked many questions, even about some of the cars being repaired. Mark seemed anxious to answer each question in great detail, and Jo hoped she could remember half of what he told her. She was fascinated by his enthusiasm and the detail about everything he included in his explanations and descriptions.

At the end of the half-hour, he took hold of both of her hands.

"I could hardly believe it when you said you wanted to come and hear all this jibber jabber about the garage, Jo. But it means a lot to me."

"Mark, watching the animation in your face and body while you talked was priceless. I wouldn't trade it for anything."

Mark used his hold on her two hands to tug her against him and into a hug. He relaxed when she didn't object and put her arms around him and squeezed.

"While I'm holding onto you, I need to ask you for another date. It's been my choice of the classic movies in our first two. Now, it's your turn to choose."

Jo leaned back and looked at Mark. "What day?"

"How about Sunday again?"

"Since the garage is closed?"

He laughed. "You think I'm pushing you back to second place."

"I think the garage has been the main part of your life for a long time. I'm just trying to wedge myself in to steal some of your non-garage time."

"You have a way with words," he said, smiling at her. "But what's your choice?"

"Sunday is supposed to be warm, kind of a mini-Indian summer day. Let's go on a picnic."

"Now, there's something I don't do much anymore. But it sounds great. Where to?"

"You just come to my place at noon, and I'll have everything ready."

"Now, that isn't right. I asked you for the date, so you shouldn't have to get everything ready."