All Comments on 'Josiah, Emergent'

by Malraux

Sort by:
  • 126 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 5 years ago
Magnificent

Maybe your best story yet!

BentonVirtusBentonVirtusover 5 years ago
A New Favorite

This is a real work of art. Imagination, story and great writing. Thanks for sharing this with the Literotica community.

GrandPaMGrandPaMover 5 years ago
Simply superb

This is what a human story is truly all about: Loss, Pain, and the joy at overcoming the scars & wounds of our past - and getting back on the path to becoming whole again.

You've told us all that story - interwoven with the timeless mystery of how two souls struggle to find one another, overcome obstacles, and achieve a powerfully symbiotic connection together in life that we demean with as trite a label as Love.

You did this with great skill as an author and writer - executing your tale with mastery of the written word. Not only that, but you found how to convey your thoughts to the reader in such a way as to make us...not only not want to set the story aside, but to want to read it again as soon as it was over! Literary Heroin! You're a drug-words pusher! LOL!

5* from me - as if there was any doubt.

JayDiverJayDiverover 5 years ago
Very slowly

I read your story this morning very slowly. Savoring it like a very fine wine. Your sense of accomplishment must be monumental. It 'deserves' to be monumental to have written such a beautiful story.

The section of the story where they play her daughter's music to the mother is heart rendering and poignant. Yet also emotionally uplifting and strangely satisfying. I rated the story a five-star yet hoped that I could give it more, it deserves more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Very moving.

Written with a sensitivity and poignancy that sincerely moved me.

dyonysosdyonysosover 5 years ago
Congrats Mal

I allways tought you would be even better with time and i'm glad to see you are

A very human story about life and all the things that can happen : some good ,some bad but in the end a full life with all it's ingredients

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Loved it!

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 5 years ago
Savored it

Usually I am a voracious reader. I power through stories I enjoy. I find myself reading at a fast pace to get to where I feel the story goes, how the story ends, or discover the twist at the end. BUT, every now and then a story or book comes along where I hate to see the ending arrive. I read the words carefully, savoring how the author uses them to set a stage, to further the plot and I try to see the picture he/she is painting with all o fit's colors and shades. It's not unlike eating a good lunch from a nice chain restaurant or sitting down with one's lover to a dinner prepared by a James Beard chef with several courses and great wines as accompaniment. This story is just such a dinner. It transcends the medium.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Once again

Another wonderful, believable, realistic story with no exaggerations to insult the readers' intellect. When I saw you posted a new story for today, nothing could keep me from it. Although the majority of stories on this site are nothing more than sexual fantasies, yours are different. With stories like yours, I do not want any of the erotic ones. Thank you very much. Langer

jlg07jlg07over 5 years ago

Just wow. GREAT story. One of the best and I've read a ton!

BrazenpeachBrazenpeachover 5 years ago
Amazing !

Couldn't stop reading, felt a whole range of emotions! Thank you for such s wonderful story.

lc69hunterlc69hunterover 5 years ago
Moving

As an old Marine with friends and comrades from Nam who still haven't left there, I appreciate this, more than you will ever know.

KnightofoilKnightofoilover 5 years ago
Did it again

I would say it was the ragweed or late night, but you are an excellent writer.

ender2k2kender2k2kover 5 years ago
Great story.

Your characters always have such realism and life in them. Thanks.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 5 years ago
A very enjoyable read!

Thanks so much for the effort and time it took to write and post this delightful story. Your generosity is appreciated!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
I loved it.

I think I’m in love with your characters!

Thank you for writing and thank you for sharing.

DogFuzzDogFuzzover 5 years ago
Wow

What a masterpiece! So well constructed and written. I am sure that it struck home with many of us who have served in the military or life protection services. Your connection with the characters brought them to life and made us feel their emotions. Thank you so much for your hard work and skill.

arrowglassarrowglassover 5 years ago
Such an intimate exploration!

Thoroughly enjoyed the way you wrote this story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Finishing this on my deck under the stars. Thank you for a wonderful evening!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Wow

I cried, several times.

So we'll written. It was moving.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
All Rather Predictable

Needs a twist or two.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Excellent Story

What a great read! Had me choking back the waterworks. Thank you.

clearedtofuckclearedtofuckover 5 years ago
Wow...

...just, wow. More than 5 stars.

ribnitinribnitinover 5 years ago
Original, on important topic

Original story on an important subject, but the writing quality is not up to your usual high standard.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
One of the best!

Your stories are filled with such detail, like Vogel's anecdote, short, fitting seMlessly with the narrative, like so much else in the story. I'm blown away!

Chilley

A_BierceA_Bierceover 5 years ago
You presented us a broken man

then showed us—you didn't tell us—how a strong, loving woman and dedicated doctor helped him put himself back together. Thank you.

KRD19254KRD19254over 5 years ago

Once again the mark of a super Mal story is he drove me to the dictionary a half dozen times on words I never seen. However, I felt a little more was needed to tie the ribbons on dangling participles left in the story and imagination. This story is ripe for a sequel to close all the danglers.

I just have an overall problem with PTSD/battle-fatigue/Nam-syndrome and the abuse some have used it for, being a wounded Nam Vet I guess I could have gone that route but it was not what was expected nor I felt justified in pursuing - did I have flash backs, yes, was it debilitating, no I would not let it. I saw the horror of war and it still is with me but compartmentalized and faded. I guess others cannot for what ever reason.

The story did not go this route but I think there is much to be said of the expectations/maturity of the Nam generation vs the sandbox generation. They returned home as hero's and we returned home as scorned outcasts.

Few today seem to know Nam Vets had IEDs/booby-traps that maimed and killed us too. We never knew from what direction that bullet/IED was coming from; war is not always in front of you like TV.

Mal, Hooyah & Salute!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

I cried a couple of times reading this. A very touching, sweet story. My wife of 24 years has PTSD. It changed everything except for our love and commitment. There were hard times but we are closer than ever. I cherish her now.

ukdukeukdukeover 5 years ago
So very good!

This story is not only well written but is such an original it deserves to be published in book form!

A genuine romancebutsuch a good story!

Thank you!

BoomerbillBoomerbillover 5 years ago
This is a lovely heart rending story

It is also a tribute to those who served or suffered in the fruitless war in Iraq. Thanks for exposing the horrors of PTSD that our dishonorable military tried initially to cover up.

LeFrog08LeFrog08over 5 years ago
I was moved...

by this poignant tale.

IndyOnIndyOnover 5 years ago
THE SONG?

All we heard about the entire story was "the song!"...There was no closure on the song! Did it go to #1 on the charts? Did he get a recording contract? How about his group of musicians? You made such a big deal about the song during the story then forgot it in the end.....just another good story with a loose end!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Superb

A really well written story, believable and absorbing.

UKDukes comment about it warranting a wider public is seconded!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
You made me weep

This 43yo man is not a cryer. But this one hit me hard. Wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Damn

I don’t know what to say but Semper Fi.

This one hits close.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Too close too powerful

I wish there were words...

Your writing has touched mine and many souls and for that we thank you.

C

texquilltexquillover 5 years ago
OUTSTANDING

What a wonderful job of painting a portrait of love and redemption. Malraux is one of the several top-tier wordsmiths who insists on sharing his talents on this site. I am grateful for his generosity!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Excellent as always

Powerful! Very powerful, and well written.

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassover 5 years ago
The final few paragraphs...

sum it all up. As you wrote, "Love with sex made imperfect people perfect for one brief moment." Truer words haven't been written.

I'll have to return to this story again and again. Thanks.

SonofCalliciousSonofCalliciousover 5 years ago
Privates First Class had it right

Well done. You told a sensitive story with class and understanding, something those suffering PTSD long for more than anything else. I'll admit, you made this old man's eyes water and his screen to blur more than once. You were never patronizing nor denigrating in your story. As the proud father of two Marines, one of whom served in Iraq, I salute you. Thank you for your kind attention to our veterans, in particular those who have been wounded and must live with the burden of what they have experienced and seen -- that which those who have never experienced it can never understand. Sempre Fi!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
5K*

I'm late to the story but i give it 5 thousand stars!

TailakaTailakaover 5 years ago
A really excellent story

A story with a very good understanding of one of the ways our minds shield us from unimaginable horror. We can imagine the bridge but we can't imagine how we'd react to it afterwards. It reminds me of MASH with Hawkeye and the screaming chicken on the bus. It put him in the psych ward.

AZTT1AZTT1over 5 years ago
Thank you

I can't think of anything more serendipitous than finding this story on Veterans Day. It out tests in this old soldier's eyes.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 5 years ago
Wow. Great story.

One of the best stories on the site. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

You have a profound understanding of what it is to be a man

Yet_Another_UserYet_Another_Userover 5 years ago
Reading the story again

I've lost count of how many times I've read this story. Once again I was moved by the love and bravery shown.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Very very deep thanks

For this and your other stories. I hope you are well. Your stories stir my soul. Thank you.

Kevin Clarke

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Brilliant, just brilliant!!!!!!

You are a terrific writer. The story line was gripping but the way you delivered it was full of compassion, sympathy, empathy and understanding. What more could any reader want?

Thank you!!

Tony (UK).

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Brilliant!

Not sure how I missed this when it was first posted, simply it is in the top echelon of stories ever seen here or anywhere; on this site it’s equaled (possibly) only by your other stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Unequalled! Eureka!

After reading this story, the emotions it evoked, I'm now not sure that I may be in need of some therapy?

I was a teary mess on numerous occasions, such was the depth of your descriptive penmanship, the understanding of the human condition.

My humble thanks and appreciation for your literary gift.

Tim H.

kmreaderkmreaderabout 5 years ago
And the tears keep coming

I don’t know how you do it. Such a master at evoking emotion from your readers. To be able to convey the depth of emotion in each of your characters so well throughout all of your stories is simply amazing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Teary eyes

I thought I was just about to read the standard troubled marine finds love story. I'm glad I was wrong, this is a great story. And I'm not ashamed to say that I have tears falling in to my Gin & Tonic.

Truly a great story, thank you.

flarebel2327flarebel2327about 5 years ago
minds

minds can be a complex thing when something horrible happens. any service man or woman sees or has it happen to them.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Thank you!

You have given us some really wonderful gifts. I hope you are still here to hear that we appreciate it.

GHreaderGHreaderalmost 5 years ago
Wow !

This is the first of your stories I have read. I will be reading more.

Thank you for sharing your talent.

Cal59Cal59over 4 years ago
Bastard!

Making a big strong grown man cry, shame on you. ***** from Australia

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Thanks

Thanks, I'm a 38 year old man almost crying! Really lovely story. Defo 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
As true as life itself.

Many hardened troops came back from serving in actual combat. Some had no legs, others no arms. Some came through it and went back to "Normal" living but not the same. Some lost their wives, some lost their girl friend, sadly some........

southernreb27southernreb27over 4 years ago
ANOTHER MOVING 1

from the second page wondered about the mother . at 76 yrs shed a few tears . can identify with Josiah character with the knees . great story !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

southernreb27southernreb27over 4 years ago
NEICE

after reading this again brought back memories from 1973 . my niece was 5 1/2 yrs old when brain cancer took her away . didn't have the name they now for it. it knows no age just takes !!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Tears

I like all your stories, but this one tops them. This 74 year old guy was crying through the last pages. If you are writing somewhere else, please tell me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Feelings

The emotion and feelings you bring out from you readers is amazing. I had tears more times than I can count. The loss of my wife last year has made me quite vulnerable to all the emotional things happening in this story. We all hope you are still around and writing. In these unusual times we all need to feel again.

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 4 years ago
Second time around, more tears, more feelings

You are one great writer, I don't know why I read your stuff cause it makes me have tears, a loss after 40 years of being with someone is almost more than I can bare. Keep writing, your good.

flareb2343flareb2343almost 4 years ago
THIRD OR FOURTH

at least 3 or 4 times reading this 1 & every time starts raining inside she would have been 47 yrs old now my niece Eddie.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 4 years ago

I still think it is a magnificent story!

5

TrollTureTrollTurealmost 4 years ago
Great story

A rock solid 5* and incredibly moving.

NitpicNitpicover 3 years ago
Good

A very good story.

dgfergiedgfergieabout 3 years ago

Third time around and the tears are worse, very good, moving story. What more can I say.

dmallorddmallordabout 3 years ago
Powerful and an Emotional Rollercoaster

This made the hair on my neck stand up and shivers ran down my spine. I still think of similar things from ages before Iraq. Ironically, after fifty years I've just started to put them into print. Incredibly, the second one was just posted in Literotica two days ago - before I discovered your work. Your words are very powerful and so much better said than I could have even begun to describe them.

AnotherChapterAnotherChapterabout 3 years ago
Again

Had to wait quite a while between readings, but I knew I’d come back. It just gets better. This is really a very, very, good story. Having lived with a form of PTSD your story is a redemption song! Some of us are fortunate enough to have someone in our lives who loves us to a kind of wholeness. Mattie was that, Vogel, in a way was, too. It may take a village, as they say, to raise a child, but it takes a small cadre with love, acceptance, and hope to raise a broken human. Thank you. Stars don’t count here, there aren’t enough...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

That was very good...

-jaye-

jneric2691jneric2691about 3 years ago

Couldn't put it down!⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

shaman43shaman43about 3 years ago

About as well done as possible. Tears creeping out of my eyes from every page read. As a neurological Psychologist I have been trained in two techniques (EMDR-rapid eye movement and EFT-Emotional Freedom techniques) that are approved by the VA and FEMA. That is so because they effect physical/structural change in the brain. Need that along with verbal techniques called cognitive behavior therapy. In my work with my fellow Marines I thought I wanted to write their story. Don't need to because Malraux did it and did it better than I could. Amazing story that shows the anguish felt and the time needed to be enough in the moment to live life again. Thank you M for showing all readers a slice of what those who have served must do to be in life again.

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 3 years ago

My second time with this loving and sad and happy story and like most others, with many tears and emotion. There is one minor question I have why use a word like "eleemosynary"?? Still a great story.

rayironyrayironyalmost 3 years ago
Rich,

satisfyingly deep, and moving.

SecretLover32501SecretLover32501over 2 years ago

Tears many times and sobs a few more.

One nit to pick; the Medal of Honor is NOT, never has been, the congressional Medal of Honor. Those dishonorable persons have to approve the award but they are NOT in the name.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Absolutely outstanding.

oldgraycatoldgraycatover 2 years ago

Hard to read the ending with all of the tears in my eyes. Such a wonderful story with the sad and the good.

58zuave58zuaveover 2 years ago

Outstanding story and author. Same issues vets had 50+ years ago. Welcome home. Allons

BentNotBrokenBentNotBrokenover 2 years ago

Absolutely beautiful in every way

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Another great story!!

LwcbyLwcbyover 2 years ago

Thank you, you updated so I’ll just say thanks

Tonyusmc3051Tonyusmc3051about 2 years ago

Thank you Mal for telling my story. I cried through most of it, but I was thankful that you told it. You do not know my name or my situation, but you were still able to tell my story. With every last breath in my body, I wish to say "Thank You". Semper Fi.

6King6Kingabout 2 years ago

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

My father and several uncles had PTSD after WWII. Dad overall was pretty good, only later did I see the signs that had passed, most men his age , our neighbors and my classmates fathers had served in WWII or Korea so his actions were consistent with theirs. Two of my uncles had it the worst they stayed drunk (but still worked hard) for several years. One uncle’s outfit lost 295 of their original outfit. He said Dads outfit got hit worse, but Dad never said. Since I did not serve I’ll never completely understand.

UncertainTUncertainTabout 2 years ago

Amazing, I was wiping my eyes too frequently, and that was on a second read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Truly a struggle with the angel. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

My classmate’s father never ate anything but hamburger, no fish, no chicken no steak. Ever since he came home from Korea. We knew not to ask, we didn’t know why, we just knew not to ask.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

It’s a good story. I think everyone fights that battle in their own way, and it’s not necessary right or wrong. It’s just the way to get through this day and then tomorrow. I was in a Marine rifle company for two tours in Viet Nam. It’s been more than fifty years and it’s an uphill struggle every day, still. Thanks for the story, Malraux, it was an interesting take on it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

During the Korean War I was a Navy Hospital Corpsman who sometimes went on long hikes with the Marines. I knew several combat veterans with Navy Crosses, silver stars, bronze stars and purple hearts. Some were really messed up. I knew one who was as messed up as Josiah. And, like Joasiah, he eventually became healthy, but he had combat fatigue, as we called it seventy odd years ago, probably all his life. Semper Fi guys, whether Marines or not.

They called me by my first name, which was "Doc."

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Awesome.

PumpkinMousePumpkinMousealmost 2 years ago

Fellow readers, sorry you're stuck with this comment after reading something so inspired. But it's the only place we get to tell the author how great they are. This is really an amazing piece of writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Just, thanks! So good, so well written.

muskyboymuskyboyover 1 year ago

Jonas Agonistes, version 2.....

EVLoverEVLoverover 1 year ago

Thank you, Malraux for another excellent story following the theme of PTSD.

I found the story to be sensitive and heart warming. It tugged on my heart strings as well as caused me to choke up/tear up on several occasions. Signs, in my mind, of a well crafted story. Definitely worth 5 stars.

Your bio says that you are a former serviceman. I'm wondering if these PTSD stories are autobiographical in that you, a buddy, and/or a loved one have been impacted by PTSD. If so, I trust that writing these stories has been therapeutic for you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wow!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wow! There is nothing formulaic in this author’s stories, but at the same time there’s a commonality among them. Each one is powerful and emotional, with vividly drawn characters living their lives as best they can. And thank God for online dictionaries! I’m a voracious reader, but I learn a new word or two in each story. Almost done with my second pass through the oeuvre.

SeaChangerSeaChangerover 1 year ago

I was tearful throughout ... author carefully builds multiple interlocking emotions.

*****

Tx77TumbleweedTx77Tumbleweedover 1 year ago

This is an excellent story. It tugs at the heartstrings throughout. The finish is superb in the way you pull the characters who shape your hero together at the end.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMalraux@Malraux
Former athlete, serviceman, teacher, proofreader, warehouse man, student, coach. Still reader, writer, hiker, sport pilot. Like Hemingway, Styron, sports, planes that stall at 40 mph, grass landing strips, honesty, and women. Wish I were an expert at something.

SIMILAR Stories