Journey to Year 1,000,000,000 Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, Master!"

"Will you give us information to betray your precious Survey Service?"

"Yes, Master!" they cried.

That was too much for Wade. "Why, you little traitors!" he yelled. He sprang for Vincent. Vincent shrank back, but Wade collapsed to the ground, writhing in pain, before he had taken three steps.

"Obedience is rewarded," said Almoxin dispassionately. "Resistance is punished." She turned to Elizabeth. "What do you think?"

"You must be feeling very proud of yourself, to have intimidated a group of docile scientists," said Elizabeth.

"We are. This is another form of restraint we are testing for. Restraint in abandoning your stated ideals. Your resistance is markedly low. You surrender your values so easily. This has all the makings of a truly remarkable experiment," said Almoxin. He waved a hand, and all the slaves disappeared in a flash of light.

"Where have you taken my people?" Elizabeth cried out.

"They are no longer your people, or your concern. They are our slaves. As you soon will be," said Almoxin. She stared at Elizabeth with those giant eyes for a long moment... and then Almoxin and Terratin disappeared in another flash of light.

Elizabeth went over to Wade. "Are you all right?"

Wade nodded, sitting up.

"None of this makes any sense," said Susan McClure. "I mean, of course they can break us. But what use would we be in an invasion of Earth? Why would they even want to invade Earth in the past?"

"I don't know," said Elizabeth. "I'm more worried about where they took our people."

"What do you think they are doing to them?"

"If I had to guess, I'd say more intensive brainwashing," said Elizabeth.

"Brainwashing?" Wade snorted. "They have already declared themselves to be slaves. What more brainwashing to they need?"

"I don't know," said Elizabeth, wrapping her hands around herself as she looked around.

********

"It's all about allegiance," said Teldoc. "Testing your level of restraint in abandoning your principles under pressure."

"I rather thought so," said Victor.

"It all goes back to Xetan, of course," said Teldoc. "The purpose of these experiments is to test your allegiance, to your Survey Service, to your Earth, to your crewmates."

"And the more pressure you put on us, and the more we resist straying-"

"The more Xetan you have," said Teldoc. "And conversely, the easier you are made to stray-"

"The less Xetan we have," said Victor.

"Exactly," said Teldoc.

"My fellow crewmembers... I take it they are going through... unpleasant experiences?" said Victor.

"Yes," said Teldoc.

"I wish I could help them," said Victor pointedly.

"It was all I could do to help you," said Teldoc.

"And I thank you for it," said Victor. "From what you tell me, if we could convince the Keepers that we have Xetan, they would see us as equals, and let us go. Is that correct?"

Teldoc frowned mightily. "I do not believe the Keepers could ever view you as equals... but, if you could show sufficient Xetan, yes, they might be persuaded to let you go. Perhaps."

"How can we then persuade the Keepers that we have Xetan?" Victor asked.

"I do not think it is possible," said Teldoc. "And you should be more focused on your own peril."

"What do you mean?"

"Almoxin and Terratin have been inquiring about your progress. They are skeptical of my... methods, and want further evidence that you have fully abandoned your allegiance to your ship and crew. If we do not satisfy them, you will be put back into the experiment."

Victor shrugged. "What would satisfy them?"

"Statements that you have abandoned your Survey Service, and will serve the Ascended."

"That's simple enough," said Victor, with a smile. "Take me to them." He got up.

Teldoc held out a restraining hand. "Wait."

"What is it?"

"When you confess your allegiance... you cannot be so... so...."

"So what, Teldoc?"

Teldoc struggled to find the right word. "So cheerful about it."

Victor smiled again. "I'll try to restrain my enthusiasm."

********

Victor knelt before a group of Ascended, with his head bowed. He wore only a control collar and black underwear, the trappings of a lowly slave.

"What are you?" Almoxin intoned.

"Your slave, Master," said Victor, with a defeated expression on his face.

"What is your purpose?"

"To help you defeat the Survey Service and to conquer the Earth."

Almoxin glanced at Teldoc. He had been suspicious about Teldoc's reported progress. But the scientist Victor Berman did seem to have been thoroughly broken.

"In fact, Master, I have some ideas on how your invasion can be even more successful," said Victor.

"You do?" said Almoxin.

"Yes," said Victor. "Simply go back in time three hundred years before we left. We wouldn't even have spaceships then. We would be totally defenseless."

Almoxin was impressed. Not only was this being totally enslaved, but he was enthusiastically offering suggestions on how his race would be conquered.

"We humans are a lowly people," said Victor. "We respect those with power and authority. Once you show us your power, many of us will welcome being your slaves with open arms."

There was a murmuring among the Ascended. Never had they seen a slave so eager to be enslaved! Teldoc worried that perhaps Victor was overacting, but Almoxin looked pleased.

"I have to admit, I was skeptical at first, but you really have done exemplary work with this test subject, Teldoc," said Almoxin. "I will add four science status points to your halo."

"Four points? Thank you, Keeper!" said Teldoc.

"I want you to produce a thorough report on all your methods that led to this result. It could be invaluable."

"Yes, Keeper, at once."

Almoxin turned to Terratin, and gestured to Victor. "Transport this slave back to the experiment. He can serve as an inspirational role model for the others."

"No!" Teldoc cried.

"No?" said Almoxin. "You dare say no to me, Teldoc?"

Teldoc started to shake. "I just meant... I wanted to keep this subject, for a while longer."

"Why?" said Almoxin. "Your task is complete. He is thoroughly broken."

"Yes, he is, but there is still much to learn," said Teldoc. "I want to perform a brainscan of his mind, to observe similarities and differences from the other test subjects." He saw the beginnings of hesitancy in Almoxin's face. "The results could prove invaluable in future experiments."

Almoxin considered for a moment. "Very well, Teldoc. But do not delay too long. I want this one back in the main experiment soon."

"Of course, Keeper."

When they returned to the chamber they had talked in before, Victor said, "Thank you."

"You are welcome," said Teldoc. "But we do not have much time. Soon they will return you to the main experiment. I cannot delay them much longer."

"Well, then we will have to think of something, won't we?" said Victor. "Now, can you help me get this collar off?"