Just a Story Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Colin and Wendy eschewed the turkey, ham, and chicken dishes, making sure everyone knew they were vegans that helped the climate by not eating 'flesh' dishes. Robert and Clara Edwards made up for it by getting turkey and ham, and Todd and Jack followed that example. (And yes, to his credit Jack ate every bit of the food he got.)

With Colin and Wendy's arrival, teenagers Beatrice and Eugenia were relegated to the 'kids table' with Todd and Teresa's boys. And they were less than enthusiastic about that, to say the least. Phyllis Troy volunteered to sit with the girls and boys and talk to the girls, prompting Todd to say "She's a kid at heart, and always will be."

Clarissa was 'not amused', being much more 'old school' than even Phyllis (or Laura, but I digress), and insisted the adults sit at one table and the kids at the other. Beatrice and Eugenia retaliated by just talking to each other and ignoring the boys, especially when Jack tried to talk to them. They were not impressed that Jack knew Tulane had won three Southeastern Conference Championships in football, and LSU twelve such titles. Phyllis and Teresa both made observations.

After lunch, Robert invited Todd and the boys to watch NFL football games with him in the TV room. Phyllis did make a point to talk to Beatrice and Eugenia in the drawing room, and Clarissa talked with Clara and Teresa on the back porch.

About an hour and a half later, desserts were served. Teresa was all over the real homemade and handmade crème brûlée, and had a second one. Todd and the boys went for the Bessemer sugar cookies.

As everyone was finishing dessert, Colin Esterson asked Todd and Teresa if he and Wendy could speak to them on the back porch. Robert Edwards said "I was wondering how long it would take to ask them for money."

"Oh, go fuck yourself, Bobby!" spat Wendy Esterson. Clarissa's eyes flashed anger, as the kids were still in the room. Wendy didn't care; she turned to Teresa and said "No, we're not going to ask you for any money." Phyllis said she'd watch over the boys. Todd and Teresa followed Colin and Wendy to the back porch.

After sitting down, Colin said "Thank you for speaking with us.", using manners that fooled no one present. "What we wanted to ask you is about that new Climate Change Center they started at the University in your home Town."

"I'm not the one to ask about that." Teresa said levelly.

Wendy said "Let us rephrase the way we said that. We know all about the Climate Change Center, and we think it's a wonderful thing. We are planning to come up and visit it, and we'd like for you to introduce us to some of the people involved with it, such as your University's President Moore, the Dean of the Climate Change Center, Dr. Jennifer Mallory, and Dr. Lucy Hayhoe, who holds the John Kerry Chair of Climate Research at the School."

"Ohhhh, I don't think that will be a very good idea." Teresa said.

"Why not?" Wendy said, trying to keep the sharpness out of her voice.

"Bee-cause," Teresa said, "that Climate Change Center is hurting my kids."

Colin looked at the wall as if seeing through it to look upon Todd's boys. "How is it hurting them?" he asked, astonished.

Teresa said "Not the boys. My Cancer Kids. All of those sick children I set up my Trust to find cures for their illnesses. I'll explain: we were starting to revamp the old Biology School as a pre-Med ramp into the Medical School for those interested in doing research to help find cures and make my kids well. And we had doctors, outstanding doctors from all over the country, that were willing to join the Faculty and teach those students, so that they could participate in the research, as well."

Teresa: "And then Dr. Jerry Moore undermined and destroyed every bit of it, not only by fundamentally transforming the Biology Department into a politically-driven entity, but by demanding people sign 'loyalty documents' over the political issue. As a result, the medical students are going elsewhere, the doctors are going elsewhere, and my kids are not getting the bright minds that they need to find their cures."

Wendy said "And why did they back out? Can't they work on cures for your kids -and- serve the Cause of Climate Justice?"

Teresa said "I am sure it will shock you to hear this, but not everyone is in lockstep with your views on Climate Change. And many that are, still balk at being forced to sign 'loyalty documents'. That's straight outta Nazi Germany; I'll have no part of it, and neither will a great many other people."

Colin Esterson said "You're a Trustee of the University, Todd. Will you introduce us to all the right people?"

Todd grinned his brilliant grin and said "Since you're related to my wife, I'm going to do you a huge favor... and decline to help you. And I'll tell you why. Donations to the University, from the Athletic programs to the Academic programs, are only 60% of what they were year-over-year from when Dr. Moore took over. I'm having premonitions that you do not want to be associated with Dr. Moore in any way, going forward... especially if you're going to ask him for money for your organization, the Global Climate Change Trust, I believe it's called?"

"Yes, that's it." said Colin. "And if Wendy hadn't have promised to not ask for money, I'd be asking you for a generous donation, in the spirit of Thanksgiving and the upcoming Christmas season."

"I have my own Cause to spend my money on." Teresa said. "Do consider a generous donation of your own, to help find cures for my sick kids."

"Thank you for hearing us out." Colin said as he got up. He and Wendy got up and went back inside.

"O-kayyyy." Teresa said. "That went 'less bad' than I originally expected it would."

Todd said "They don't mind asking for money, or for us to use our connections for their benefit. But they did not like being asked for money, though they tried to hide it. Good move on your part."

When they went back inside twenty minutes later, Colin and Wendy were nowhere to be seen. Seeing them looking around, Phyllis said "Colin and Wendy left."

Teresa said "Don't they live here?"

Clarissa said "They have a room here, and they are free to use it whenever they wish. Last night was the first night they stayed in it in almost a year. They're probably going to stay with some of their friends tonight. They prefer a (air quotes) 'climate' of marijuana smoke to good, clean air, and I forbid smoking that filthy stuff in my household..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:00pm. Laura and I were sitting on the sofa against the far wall in the greatroom of the Mountain Nest, sipping Pappy Van Winkle 23 year wheated bourbon. "What's the occasion?" I asked when Laura broke out the Pappy.

"Just a 'thank-you' for letting us have Thanksgiving here, and keeping it small." Laura replied.

"Well, with everyone scattered hither-and-yon, it wasn't hard to agree to." I said. "So did Melina and Joanne regale you with hunting trip stories?"

"Only that they haven't been able to go up to Lake Amengi-Nunagen this year." said Laura. "Did you get to talk to Daniel much?"

"Not really." I said. "I could sense he's not ready to talk 'shop' about Council or Police stuff with me right now, so I just let it go and we talked to Seth about the Hospital. Are you aware of what Dr. Moore is trying to do to the Hospital?"

"And then some." said Laura. "His attempts to force us to sign the 'loyalty documents' have by-and-large been a failure, as well as of dubious legality. But hiring new people is a different story. Someone doesn't sign; someone doesn't get hired. And that someone doesn't have much legal standing about it. It's amounting to a hiring freeze, especially of non-Marxist professors."

Laura: "But it definitely could hurt the Hospital, and especially the great things Teresa has been doing, if Dr. Moore and that fat Communist thug Lionel Carmela have their way. So you didn't get to discuss with Daniel about whether or not he's going to run for Mayor?"

Astute Detectives will have realized that we were fishing for information from each other. I played the game, saying "Like I said, he was not in a frame of mind to discuss that. He was much more receptive to help figure out a plan for rubbing Lionel Carmela's face in his own dung, and putting Jerry Moore in his place."

"At least you and he are talking." Laura said, not asking for our plan like I'd expected her to. So I shut it down.

"If that's what you want to call it." I replied. "We'll see what happens going forward. Now why don't we go up to bed, and create a few new Thanksgiving positions... er, I mean traditions."

Laura grinned and chuckled at that, and eagerly led the way to the bedroom...

Part 6 - Tyger Tyger, Burning Bright

9:10am, Friday, November 26th. Todd and Teresa dropped off Phyllis and the boys at the Airport. They had meant to be on the road to Auburn, Alabama by 7:30am, but you know what they say about the best laid plans. Though vocally eager to return home, the boys moved like pond water, and Aunt Clarissa insisted on everyone eating a decent breakfast before leaving.

As they merged onto Interstate-10 east, Teresa looked at her 'Maps' feature on her iPhone, which largely agreed with the vehicle's GPS. "Seven and one half hours, 550 miles to go." she said. "They are going to crush us on mileage for the rental. Especially when we drive back home after we visit Fort Benning on Sunday."

"No, I'm paying one rate, which includes unlimited miles." Todd replied. "And yes, it's a lot. But the logistics wouldn't have worked out well any other way, especially flying down with the boys and returning them and Grandma home while you and I go to the game. Aa-nd I was thinking we could sightsee along the way, maybe visit Jefferson Davis's home in Mississippi; the Hank Williams Sr. Museum in Georgiana, Alabama; and the State Capitol in Montgomery, Alabama."

"True, that." Teresa said. "And I appreciate you going to the effort and expense in renting the vehicle. But I think Hurricane Katrina destroyed Jefferson Davis's antebellum home. Now on our way home we can drive either to Memphis and visit Graceland, or visit Nashville and see the Tennessee State Capitol and the Hermitage, President Andrew Jackson's home."

"Sounds like a plan... which we don't bother making too many of." Todd said with a grin.

"What, you related to Donald Troy or something?" Teresa quipped. "Seriously, do you think the boys enjoyed the Thanksgiving visit to Louisiana?"

Todd said "Yeah, ultimately I think they did. Mike is pretty young, but he'll probably remember a lot of it when he gets older. Doug seemed kind of bored, which surprised me. Jack had a great time, especially talking to Bobby Edwards about Louisiana State politics."

"Sheesh." Teresa said. "Two like-minded politicos, there. I did observe, and Phyllis agreed with me when we had a moment to talk, that Beatrice and Eugenia weren't very happy about things. Some of it may be that they are teenagers. Some of it may be that they are growing up and will have to fledge the nest pretty soon. Sure, they won't want for anything, but that's still going to be a big thing for them."

Todd said "I was surprised... openly shocked, even... that the girls were so distant to the boys, even disdainful of them. Carole is half their age, and she'll knock your ass down to hold Betsy or Baby Ben, and feed them. But those girls... they don't have that mothering instinct..."

Teresa said "Maybe it's just suppressed. Aunt Clarissa is pretty strict with them, possibly overcompensating for being too lax on her kids, Colin and Jen. And my father's treatment of me was not good, but I never felt like he was going to sexually molest me or anything. But those girls have to deal with Bobby Edwards, and he is just one opportunity away from becoming a full-on pedophile like Bruce Finneran. That's my vibe on him."

Todd: "Yeah, I noticed that Grandma never let him be alone with the boys, like when we went onto the back porch to talk to Colin and Wendy. But let me say this: I don't have the Vibe, not like Cindy or Carole, or Grandma or even Uncle Don. But after you and I talked about Clara, I definitely began getting a strange feeling about her. Her act about being nice and deferential, and generally agreeable, is just a façade."

Todd: "Bobby messes with Colin and Wendy, just trying to get under their skin, and he succeeded when Wendy went off on him a couple of times. But Clara... I could feeeeel her deep deep hatred for Colin and Wendy both. I don't think she loves her husband, either, but she also detests her Aunt Clarissa. Underneath that veneer is a cold, calculating woman who does not have love for other people in her heart. And maybe that is what is rubbing off on Beatrice and Eugenia..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dawn, Saturday, November 27th. I was sitting on the back deck of The Cabin, enjoying a steaming mug of hot coffee as I looked out over my Town & County in the early morning glow. The dogs had gone down their path to inspect their territories and do their business. I checked my messages and had a 'DM' from Teresa the night before, saying that she and Todd had safely arrived at their hotel near Auburn, Alabama.

As the light of a train came out of the western horizon over the other side of the Town, I heard the door open, then the pitter-patter of little de-feets.

"Hi Daddy!" Carole said as she climbed up onto the metal mesh loveseat and plopped down beside me. She was wearing black jeans and a Wildcat red jersey with the number '10' on it, Jamaal Washington's number.

"Gooooood morning, Fussbudget." I replied. "Ready for a big day?"

"Yes, Daddy." Carole said. "And I'm ready to give Ian his birth-day present." Yes, Ian was six... SIX... years old today. Where does the time go? I thought to myself.

Then Carole said "Daddy, why didn't we go to Uncle Harvey's for Thanksgiving? Weren't we invited?"

"Yes, we were. We always are." I said. "But this time your mom wanted us to stay home and have Thanksgiving with your cousins Dan and Patricia and their parents. And we got to see Tony right after his second birthday. Did you have fun playing with Patricia?"

"Yes." said Carole. "But why couldn't we invite Marie and her family, too? I asked Mommy if we could, and she said no."

"Did she say why not?" I asked.

"No sir." Carole said. "Daddy, do Uncle Daniel and Aunt Melina have a problem with Marie's parents?" Ahhh, I thought to myself, Carole was all over it. As usual.

I said "Your Uncle Daniel is the Mayor of the Town, and Marie's dad is on the Council, so they see enough of each other already."

"Oh. Politics." Carole said with great astuteness. Then she hit me with another bomb: "Why don't you run for Mayor, Daddy?"

I almost spit out my coffee at that one. "That will be the day." I said. "I happen to like being a Police Officer a lot more."

"And the Iron Crowbar, toooo." Carole said.

Yeah, that too, I thought to myself. Thankfully, Bowser and Buddy came up to rescue me from that increasingly impossible conversation...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We had a large gathering. Teresa and Todd were at the Auburn game, but we were keeping their boys at The Cabin, along with Jim, Ian, and Ross. Molly Evans was staying here, as usual. Paulina and Tasha also were in the House. Sheriff Griswold also came, and brought liquid refreshments to mix with our liquid refreshments.

Marie Steele came with her parents, though Selena did not join us. Cindy and Callie brought Betsy and Baby Ben. Jack and Tanya Muscone brought Pete, Tiffany, and Jennifer. And my mother Phyllis was staying at the Mountain Nest, and came over for the day.

I'd invited the Allgoods and the Warners, for lunch and to watch the Alabama game. They declined; they were having Thanksgiving at Seth and Joanne's house, and would watch the game there.

Lunch was... leftovers! Everyone had something to bring to contribute, including slices of turkey and ham, which were combined into heaps on serving dishes. Lots of stuffing, gravies, and veggies (no stringbeans). The bread rolls were fresh, though. And we consumed just about every bit of the food before the day was done. Growing boys and girls have hollow legs, dontcha know.

After lunch, everyone gave Ian his gifts for his sixth birthday. Carole had conspired to have almost everyone get Wal-mart gift certificates, so Ian could go buy what he wanted. But Jim had conspired with Tasha to get Ian a Team USA Hockey jersey to offset Ross's Team Canada jersey.

"Y'all think you are funny, but you're not." Carole said, seeing the glint in Jim's eyes. "And why are you helping Jim with that, Tasha?"

"Because Ian is my All-American brother." Tasha said sweetly. She and Ian fist-bumped.

"I think I got bamboozled into helping with that one." Paulina quietly said to me.

"Yes, Tasha is getting sharp as a tack." I replied. "She bears watching... she bears watching..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Houston, we have a problem.

The Wildcats game against the State U. Purple Hawks was on at the exact same time the Alabama-Auburn game was on, on different channels. So I planned to have the Alabama-Auburn game on the television in the downstairs 'man cave' room, which was underneath the kitchen that was on the first floor.

I should have planned better... Laura, Paulina, Stephanie Steele, my mother Phyllis, and Molly commandeered that room for their conversations, ostensibly so that they would not bother us by talking in the greatroom while we watched the game in the front room. Doug and Mike watched Alabama-Auburn on my and Carole's iPads in the greatroom, while the rest of us gathered to watch the Wildcats play.

And it looked like the Wildcats game would be an utter disaster. At the end of the first quarter, they were down 17-0 to the State U. Purple Hawks. And State U. tacked on a field goal to make it 20-0 before the Wildcats finally scored. The halftime score was 20-7, Purple Hawks in the lead.

"You might as well turn over to the Auburn game." called out Doug Burke.

"No, Daddy, don't do it." Carole said. "The Wildcats are going to come back."

"What's the score, Doug?" I called out.

Doug replied "Alabama is leading Auburn 21-14 at halftime."

We began watching the Wildcats game again when it resumed. And the Wildcats got back into it. It was 20-17 Purple Hawks at the end of the 3rd quarter.

I checked in with Doug during a commercial break. "Why is the coach going for it on 4th down on the Auburn 23 yard line?" I asked out loud.

Doug said "Alabama missed two field goals already." The Alabama head coach obviously did not trust his field goal kicker anymore. Alabama didn't make it, and turned the ball over on downs.

Those Bama kickers, I thought to myself....

With 10:34 in the 4th quarter, State U. scored to make it 27-17. Things did not look good for my Wildcats. But they got a touchdown with a little over six minutes to go, making it 27-24, and then they finally tied it up with a field goal at the 4:37 mark.

"See, Daddy?" Carole said. "We tied it up. We're going to overtime."

"Yes, yes we are." I said. I wasn't really that happy about it. I was actually getting more interested in the Auburn-Alabama game.

The State U. Purple Hawks scored to make it 34-27 in the first OT. The Wildcats had to score... and they did! They tied it up at 34-34. Then the Wildcats took the ball and scored, making it 41-34. It seemed to take forever as State U. moved the ball to the Wildcat 6 yard line. Fourth and 5, from the six. They threw the ball into the endzone. Deflected! The ball bounced up as both Purple Hawks and Wildcats players dove for it. It literally bounced off three people, then finally bounced to the turf! Wildcats win!