Just a Story Ch. 04

Story Info
Thanksgiving Week; Iron Bowl drama.
18.3k words
4.77
3.4k
5

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 07/02/2023
Created 01/19/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

There may or may not be discussion of political issues in my stories. If you are a Snowflake that feels you need to be protected from any mention of politics, then click the Back button now, and never attempt to read any of my stories ever again. You've been warned.

***

(Note: This story occurs five (5) Earth-Crowbar years and six real years after 'Just A Story 3', and is not connected to the earlier 'Just A Story' stories. I put it here as it is an Interlude of sorts, bridging the gap to the next Christmas story. Apologies in advance for any confuuuuusion this may have caused.)

Part 1 - Prologue

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, November 23d, from the Anchor Desk at the KXTC studios. "A stunning development in the Town & County District Attorney's Office!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "District Attorney Miriam Walters has announced that she has terminated the employment of Assistant D.A. Savannah Fineman for cause after a series of incidents involving the Toyota Gang last week. The announcement came late yesterday afternoon, and was a stunning surprise that has rocked the Town & County! Let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for the background and the details. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" shouted the athletic, height-challenged, blonde reporterette from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with the Courthouse in her distant background. "Last week, the first scheduled trial of the members of the notorious Toyota Gang began. One of its members, Maribel Isadora, turned State's evidence and agreed to testify against her fellow criminals in exchange for witness protection and immunity from prosecution."

Amber: "ADA Fineman secured the arrangement for Ms. Isadora at the local level, but there was no matching Federal immunity. And the moment Ms. Isadora testified, the US DEA, led by Agents Dwight Stevens and Lorena Rose, came into the Courtroom of Superior Court Judge Franklin Washington and took Ms. Isadora and the three Toyota Gang members on trial into Federal custody!"

Amber: "Sadly, Ms. Isadora was not given protection while in the Federal prison near Acropolis City in the State to our east, and she was murdered by other inmates at the facility, which sources tell Channel Two News is a common outcome for snitches that work with Police and Prosecutors."

Amber: "Also, two other Toyota Gang members, who were taken into Federal custody from County Jail at the same time as the alleged gang members on trial, were found dead over the weekend. Dwayne Heywood's body was found on the banks of the State Line River in Southport, and Fred Spencer's remains were found just over the State Line from our Town & County."

Amber: "Channel Two News has learned that the immunity miscues were the main reason ADA Fineman was fired by D.A. Walters, and it leaves the D.A.'s Office badly short-staffed. ADA Paulina Patterson, who was replaced by Ms. Walters with Ms. Fineman for Major Crimes cases, is now the most experienced ADA, and with Franklin Washington being elected Superior Court Judge and Hannah Doss being elected Magistrate Court Judge last year, Dwayne Gregory is the only other ADA currently in Miriam Walters's D.A.'s Office."

Amber: "And in possibly related news, Channel Two News has confirmed that US DEA Agent Dwight Stevens, who led the arrest of Maribel Isadora and the other Toyota Gang members on trial, has been promoted to DEA Special Agent In Charge for this Region of the country."

Amber: "Channel Two News also has learned that DEA Supervisory Special Agent Lorena Rose, who conducted the arrests at the Courthouse with Dwight Stevens, resigned from the DEA to take a position with the SBI's Drugs and Trafficking Division, the SBI-DTD, with the SBI rank of Lieutenant. Ms. Rose is a former Detective with the TCPD and the Los Angeles Police Department, and sources tell Channel Two News that she will be assigned primarily to the northwest sector of the State. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Amber!" said Bettina. "That was trusted reporter Amber Harris with that important story, giving you the news you have the right to know. In other news, the next Elections are almost a year away, but campaign season for the primaries next May is already getting under way. For more let's go to highly respected political reporter Carl Lemay for more on the important races. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the tall, slender Reporter of Color, standing on the same roof as Amber, but with City Hall in his background. "Channel Two News has learned that a number of candidates for local political offices may formally announce their entries into several races as early as next week."

Lemay: "The Offices of the Sheriff and District Attorney, which are four year terms, will be on next year's ballot. The I.G. Office is also a four year term, but is not on the ballot this election cycle. Also on the ballot is the extremely important Mayor's race as well as all ten current Council positions and 30 Assembly positions. Council Members J.P. Goldman and Ian McGhillie have announced their retirements, and Channel Two News has learned that Edward R. Steele is moving to his new home outside the Town's City Limits, and will run for McGhillie's seat, leaving his old seat up for grabs."

Lemay: "And all of that is only if nothing changes in the structure of the Town & County. However, that is not a given. The U.S. DOJ Civil Rights Division is investigating the Town & County structure as well as the Town & County Police for abuses of People of Color, and may sue in Federal Court over either or both issues. In addition, several local Civic Rights leaders may sue over the current structure, which they say disenfranchises minorities."

Lemay: "Additionally, the State Legislature will be convening in January, and sources tell Channel Two News as well as our partner stations of the State News Networks that the Town & County is a prime candidate to be merged with other counties, and that even if that does not occur, the State Legislature may exercise its right to change the structure of the Town & County without any plebiscite votes by either the Town or County. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Carl!" Bettina said. "That was highly respected political reporter Carl Lemay with that important information. And now let's go to Sports reporter Jeff Hull for more on the Bulldogs's big rivalry game. Jeff!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Hull, his full head of black hair perfectly coiffed and in place. "After losing their opportunity to go to the Conference Championship game, the University Bulldogs will play their final game of the season this Saturday against their in-State rivals, the State Tech Engineers."

Hull: "The Wildcats will be looking for revenge as they play at home against their in-State rivals, the State U. Purple Hawks. Nationally, the Alabama-Auburn game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama is the biggest game of all... the winner goes to the SEC Championship game in Atlanta..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Thanks for nothing, Amber." I said as Sheriff Griswold, ADA Paulina Patterson, Chief Moynahan, FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone, Deputy Police Chief Tanya P. Muscone, Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross, and Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle joined me in drinking coffee and watching the broadcast in the Chief's Conference Room.

I continued: "I really would have preferred that the criminals not be informed of Lorena Rose's new job, new rank, and where she's working. But you know KXTC will do whatever they can to hurt good and decent law enforcement officers."

Jack Muscone said "They did a pretty good job smearing Dwight Stevens, too, talking about him getting promoted after making the arrests during the trial." He was met with a silence so palpably thick it could be cut with a katana.

"Moving steadily along," said Tanya, attempting to rescue her husband, "Amber was right about one thing: Paulina, what is Miriam going to do? You can't do it all by yourself."

Paulina said "No, I can't, and Gregory can't handle anything but the simplest of cases. Miriam had me ask Solicitor Ted Mason if he'd be willing to help out, and he really enjoyed telling me, and I quote, 'Miriam Walters can pound sand', close quote. Miriam can try cases herself, of course, and she's already searching for new people to hire. The good news is that we're entering the Holiday season, and we're not going to start any big new trials this calendar year."

Teresa said "There was a lot to unpack in the rest of that report, as well. Don, can the State Legislature force a change in our Charter without a plebiscite vote? Er, Don?... Don?..."

I had gone into a reverie. When I snapped out of it, I said "Sorry, I was just realizing something. What did you ask?" Teresa repeated the question, and I said "I'm not sure. The several States of our Federal Union are actually the most sovereign entities in the Nation, and just about anything they do within the bounds of the US and State Constitutions would be sanctioned. But since the Charter was passed by a vote of the People, I am sure that lawsuits would abound if the State came down on us in such a hamfisted fashion, and who knows what the results would be, especially in Federal Court."

Cindy asked "What were you thinking so hard about?"

I said "Carl Lemay's report. He said the US DOJ was going to investigate our structure as well as the Police, meaning me. But they approved the structure for the Merger and for the rewriting of the Charter. And to reverse course like that is just begging for lawsuits that just might well succeed. So why do it? It just occurred to me that they might offer a trade... they'll leave the structure alone if the Town & County accepts the imposition of a Consent Decree on the Police Force."

I heard a number of groans at that. Then Teresa said "Then this Town & County won't have a Police Force any more. That's Derrick B. Harland's goal, of course, but would even the Democrats on the Council accept that?"

"Some would." growled Sheriff Griswold. "Kelly Carnes and Edgar Silas would, in a heartbeat. I'd like to think Susan Weston wouldn't, being a former Police Captain, but I sure hope my Police Force's existence won't depend on the votes of her, Malinda Adams, and Sheila Sorrells."

Cindy said "That's the one thing I don't get. "Why, oh why are the Democrats so virulently anti-Police? It can't just be about race, can it?"

Teresa said "How deep is the ocean? How high is the sky? Who is John Galt?" It was a quotation from Ayn Rand's epic novel Atlas Shrugged.

I did a double take in her general direction, then said "Doing some light reading, these days?" The joke is that Atlas Shrugged is an enormous tome of heavy reading.

Teresa said "I've been reading Atlas Shrugged for a week now. It's hard... it's made me realize how busy my whole life is... but I'm working through it. And it's amazing just how prescient a book that was published in 1957 can be."

"Is it, though?" retorted Cindy Ross.

I replied "In some ways, it is. Ayn Rand emigrated from the Soviet Union, and she saw firsthand what went on there with the Bolsheviks. She later wrote that they co-opted and won over the universities, and that was their inroad into the communization of Russia. And that is definitely happening here."

Me: "Her focus in Atlas Shrugged, though, was the destruction of Free Enterprise, and then the entire Constitutional Republic, by the imposition of crushing regulations of businesses, using the Crony Capitalists to destroy free production and trade. And that is going on, too."

Me: "Where she was not as correct, or at least didn't talk about it very much, was the role of the Mainstream Media in the destruction of America. What the Left is doing to us today would not be possible without the full hand-in-glove cooperation of the biased, dishonest, and corrupt Media."

Me: "Derrick B. Garland could not be weaponizing the FBI and IRS without the Media's not only complicity, but actual help. And the Media is actively covering up the corruption of that Wilmington, Delaware political family, and their taking money from the Red Chinese."

Me: "And the Media is working with the Dems, if not actually taking the outright lead, in shouting down and suppressing Free Speech from anyone not in jackbooted lockstep with their Totalitarian agenda. You can be 'canceled' or even physically attacked by the ultra-radical Haters if you dare say out loud something they don't like. That is what is going to destroy our Constitutional Republic... the Media."

"Changing the subject," said Tanya, to change the subject, "I have a question for twoooo Crowbars." said Tanya. "What's going to happen in the Election cycle? What are y'all's sources telling you?"

The Green Crowbar outright threw the Red Crowbar under the bus, and said "I think Don has the scoop on all of that, far more than I have, anyways." A red crowbar was waved in her general direction.

"Come on, Don, give us the scoop." Teresa 'encouraged' me.

"I don't want to spread rumors." I tried. My Angels and Paulina began singing, yes singing, the old ditty from the show 'Hee Haw' at that:

"Now, we're not ones to go 'round, spread'n' rumors,
Why, really, we're just not the gossipy kind,
Oh, you'll never hear one of us repeating gossip,
So you better be sure and listen close the first time!"

"Speak, Swami!" they all said in unison after that. Everyone then broke down laughing, except me. I was just slowly shaking my head after the abuse my ears had just taken.

Finally, I said "Okay, you asked for it. This is what I've heard or surmised: Town Assemblyman Ryan Paulson is going to challenge Daniel Allgood for the Republican nomination for Mayor. Solicitor Ted Mason will challenge Miriam Walters for the Republican nomination for District Attorney. Senior Deputy Louis Bailey is going to challenge Sheriff Griswold here for the Republican nomination for Sheriff."

Me: "Savannah Fineman will run for the Democrat nomination for District Attorney, as will City Attorney Dennis Garland... who is about to be fired himself. I'm also expecting a George-Schwartz-funded lawyer to run for D.A. as a 'reform' candidate, to bring us the same pro-criminal, anti-Police, anti-Citizen policies of those Schwartz has gotten elected in The City and other places that have become hellholes, like Wilmington, Delaware."

Me: "Eldrick X. Weaver is going to run again for Mayor as a Democrat, and the Reverend Joseph E. Williams might run against him, but we'll see about that. As to the Sheriff post, I've heard nothing about any Democrats who might run. It'd be a blessing if Susan Weston ran, since she couldn't run for the Council if she did, but I'm not expecting it."

"And the Council?" inquired the Sheriff.

I replied: "I think Edward R. Steele will be running unopposed for the Republican nomination for Ian McGhillie's seat. Selena Steele lives near Edward; she was going to run for Mr. Goldman's County seat, but now will run for her father's Town seat. That leaves Mr. Goldman's seat, and I've heard Bill Redmond may run for it after being soundly beaten by Kelly Carnes in the last Election."

"Well, at least he's a Republican." Tanya said.

"Hmmph!" I snorted. "He's an Establishment Republican, at best. Like Mitt Romney, John Boehner, Paul Ryan, and Jeb! Bush."

"And he hates Crowbar personally." added Sheriff Griswold. "He'd be a disaster for us..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The KFXU broadcast at 8:00am concentrated heavily on the firing of Savannah Fineman, the deaths of the Toyota Gang members, and Dwight Stevens's promotion after leading the Feds that arrested the perps in Judge Franklin Washington's courtroom. They also discussed how air travel during the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday season was a disaster, blaming it on the failure of the current U.S. Secretary of Transportation to do his job.

After the broadcast, I expertly used the remote to shut off the television monitor, then said "Okay, ladies, what are we doing this holiday week?"

"Are you going to inspect everything and put the Police Force on blast?" Tanya asked. Teresa and I couldn't help but grin.

"Not quite." I said. "I changed things up on them a little bit, to keep things unpredictable. They were quaking in fear yesterday, anticipating me going in and ripping them apart. Today I'll tell them I'm coming in tomorrow, which will be true, and I'll find things as they really are instead of ripping them no matter how good things are. Would you care to go with me, Deputy Chief Muscone?"

"I wouldn't miss it." Tanya said with a twinkle in her eye. "What about your Operations Commander, here?"

"When are you leaving, and where are you going?" I asked Teresa, who was texting something.

"Earrrrly tomorrow morning." Teresa said. "We're taking the boys to Lake Charles, Louisiana. We'll celebrate Thanksgiving with my Louisiana family, then Todd and I will drive our rental car to Auburn, Alabama. We'll go to the big game on Saturday, party hard after Auburn beats the living hell out of Alabama, then go visit Fort Benning, Georgia on Sunday. I also have the entire next week on vacation, since I have to burn them or lose them, but we should be back this coming Monday."

"What are the boys going to do while you're going to the game?" Tanya asked.

Teresa said "They're flying back home with their chaperone." And at that moment my office door opened to reveal...

... my mother, Phyllis Troy.

"Mom!" I exclaimed. I got up, went around my desk, and gave my mom a hug, which she warmly returned. Then she hugged Cindy, bent down and hugged Tanya, then hugged Teresa.

"Pull up a chair, Mom." I said. "Want some coffee?" Cindy did not wait for a reply; she got up, moved her chair over to make room for Phyllis to pull the third chair up with the others, and (Cindy) poured coffee for Phyllis and handed it to her after my mom had sat down.

"Quelle suprise, ma mère!" I said. "When did you get into Town?"

"Last night." my mom said. "I stayed at the Mountain Nest, so that I would not disturb you at The Cabin." Since school was out the whole week, the Usual Suspects had been rounded up and were staying at The Cabin.

"You would not have disturbed us." I said. "But I understand. So you're going to Louisiana with Teresa, Todd, and your great-grandkids?"

It was Teresa who explained: "We weren't going to be able to take the boys, because we only have two tickets for the game. But Aunt Clarissa said to invite your mom, and your mom will fly back here with the boys on Friday. Your mom agreed, and told me not to tell you she was coming, in order to surprise you."

"Consider me surprised, then." I said. "You'll miss Thanksgiving with us, though, Mom."

My mother said "Yes, but I'll see you at Christmas, Lord willin' and the Creek don't rise. And we'll be back from Lake Charles in time for Ian's birthday on the 27th..."