Just a Story Ch. 06

Story Info
Orange Order; Seasonal Parties; Trouble At Home.
12.5k words
4.74
2.8k
4

Part 6 of the 6 part series

Updated 07/02/2023
Created 01/19/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

There may or may not be discussion of political issues in my stories. If you are a Snowflake that feels you need to be protected from any mention of politics, then click the Back button now, and never attempt to read any of my stories ever again. You've been warned.

***

Part 11 - Night of Orange

4:15pm, Friday, December 3rd. The crowded gym fell silent when the door opened and Police Captain Damien Thompson came in, followed by Your Iron Crowbar, then several other Orange Order members and the rope line with J.J. Perry and Mary Milton.

The murmurs started up as Captain Thompson approached a cluster of 1st Precinct Officers, with whom Inga Gunddottar was sitting: Captain Hugh Hewitt, Lieutenant Jerome Davis, Senior Sergeant Roy McGhillie, and some other Sergeants. Captain Thompson walked just past them, as if he was moving along, then stopped suddenly and did a 'right face'

"Lieutenant Davis, would you please come with us?" said Thompson. The entire gym erupted into a huge round of applause and cheering as a most very stunned Jerome Davis gaped at us, then slowly got up and got into the line behind a grinning Mary Milton. Inga got up and followed us out as the sustained applause continued until we were out the door...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"As you can see, Ms. Milton," I said, "you will not be going home tonight. With your permission, and Myron's, Commander Ross's mother Maggie will take care of Marty tonight. She is an expert grandmother, with years of experience and practice."

"Uh yeah, that's fine." Mary said. She was still stunned by her selection. I didn't know why; after all, the way she had cracked the ransomware virus code with a little help was already the stuff of legend in these here parts. (Author's note: 'Beethoven Virus', Ch. 02). And her work in helping to destroy the Toyota Gang, not to mention outstanding leadership of the Intel Branch, made her an obvious selection.

Jerome Davis was also in a bit of shock. His selection was nearly unanimous among the Uniformed ranks in the Precincts. It was cemented by his actions and leadership in the incident at the Council meeting (Author's note: 'No Show', Ch. 01), but a lot of Officers had been 'less than appreciative' of his treatment by Captain Claire Michaels in the Detective Division, and his 'taking one for the team' by volunteering to transfer to 1st Precinct (Author's note: 'Private Practice', Ch. 04) was a strong positive for him. And his leadership in 1st Precinct had really improved the entire Precinct.

As Sheriff Griswold gave instructions to Mary and Jerome, I sent out the infamous 'Loddy Doddy Everybody' text message on my Police iPhone, instructing them to assemble in the Main Auditorium. Some moments later, we went down the hallway. I went in and yelled "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE TOWN & COUNTY POLICE CHIEF!", and the assembled Officers rose from their chairs into the position of attention.

"Thank yooo. Be seated." said the Chief as he came up. "I want to congratulate everyone on another year of great professionalism and unswerving ability as you performed your dooo-ties this yearrrr. And you have made two outstanding selections for the Orange Order this year, choosing two Officers who have shown abilities and outstanding leadership that we can all take pride in. Without further ado, let's introduce them. First, Loo-tenant Mary Milton."

The Officers were already standing, and they gave Mary a huge round of applause as she came up on the stage and stood to the Chief's left. He then announced "And Loo-tenant Jerome Davis."

As Davis came up, the applause and cheering got even louder. I happened to glance over and see Captain Claire Michaels, who was standing with the other Captains and also with Lieutenant Joanne Warner on the floor to the side of the stage. Joanne was applauding politely, probably for Mary, but Claire was not applauding at all, and she seemed very shocked at the ovation Jerome Davis was getting. Then she noticed that I was looking over her way, and she began clapping very perfunctorily as she turned her head to look at the stage...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Despite the efforts of KXTC Channel Two News and the State News Networks to stir up racially-motivated strife and division, the Patrol of Honor encountered no problems as they walked east along MLK Jr. Avenue from Riverside Drive to University Avenue. Several expensive Press drones were taken out of the air by unmarked, cheap kamikaze drones flown by Ranger Terry Halston, and destroyed.

At the initial ceremony, both Mary and Jerome remembered to take their green-glassed lanterns with them. Your Iron Crowbar made decent money, having bet both would remember. "I figured Myron told Mary." I said when asked how I knew. "And Jerome is a Navy brat and pays attention to detail."

As the Patrol moved along, Teresa and I were following the walkers in my Police SUV. She said "So Maggie Ross is keeping Marty tonight?"

"Yes, at Cindy's current home." I said. "I understand that Callie is there, and Dr. Marvin Milton was going to stay there after he took photos of Mary walking along Courthouse Square at the beginning of the Patrol."

"You think he's in danger?" Teresa asked. "And is he in danger at other times?"

"Probably not." I replied. "But he's about to come out strongly and publicly with the Faculty Study Group against Dr. Moore and the demands that they sign 'loyalty papers' to the Fraud of Climate Change. With Myron, Mary, you, me, Cindy and the TCPD preoccupied with the Orange Order tonight, he's potentially more vulnerable than normal. So he and his grandson are staying with Maggie and her grandson, and granddaughter and daughter-in-law."

Teresa said "I just hope the Faculty Study Group can do something about this Climate Change crap. It's killing our recruiting of the best doctors and medical students. And Moore and Carmela are just beginning to take their shots at the Hospital. I got word that Moore was trying to include the proceeds from my Trust... *my* Trust... into the University's Budget for the Climate Change Center."

"Oh really." I said, and in a voice one does not want to hear from me.

Teresa said "One call from my lawyer and a formal 'Cease And Desist' letter stopped that cold. But with contributions and donations to the School dropping through the floor, and with Governor Marshall threatening to defund the University over the 'loyalty documents' and even over the Climate Change Center itself, they're clutching at every penny they think they can grab."

I nodded. "Well, let not your heart be troubled."

Teresa peered at me. "What? You know something I don't?"

I replied "Only that my wife is going to war with Carmela, the Faculty Study Group and the Governor are going to war with Moore and the Climate Change Center... and that no mother on earth is more protective of her blood children than the Iron Wolf is of her Cancer Kids."

Teresa nodded vigorously in agreement.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As dawn broke, the Patrol of Honor and the contingent following, composed of all Orange Order members, arrived at the Junction Station Depot. The ceremonies were held, with Damien Thompson getting his Inner Circle Medal, and Mary and Jerome getting their Orange Order Medals. Then we sat down to the traditional delicious breakfast of steak and eggs and beer. (Those not drinking beer were drinking Coca-Cola Zero or water.)

"I couldn't believe it when you came and got me." Jerome Davis said, sitting next to me as we ate. "I'm not trying to downplay myself, but I didn't think I did all that much. What I, and we, did at the Council meeting was what we were expected to do."

I said "I'll tell you this: you definitely got respect for your leadership on that, taking the initiative as well as doing the right thing despite that shit eater Louis Bailey trying to stop you. But even more, I think the rank-and-file feel like I do about you volunteering to give up the MCD Lieutenant slot for 1st Precinct, and they know how well you're doing there."

I continued: "And I'll tell you this: now that you know you have their respect, use it for the good of the Force. They listen to you, so use your voice to bring them up and bring them with you. You have a tremendous future with the TCPD; all you have to do with grab the brass ring and keep being the leader you already are."

"Thank you, sir." Jerome said, then cleaned his plate of the delicious food that was sitting on it. I cleaned up my own portion...

Part 12 - Belles Of The Ball

4:30pm, Saturday, December 4th. The tradition continued. I woke up from my nap on the pulled-out sofa-bed in the greatroom of The Cabin to see Carole's face sideways over the left side of my head, Marie's face sideways over the right side of my head, and the Redoubtable Bowser lying on my chest and licking my face as he looked at me straight-on.

"Wake up, Daddy." Carole said. "It's time to get ready for the Po-leece-man's Ball." Marie giggled, and Bowser licked my face again.

"O-kayyy." I said, then yawned hard, causing Bowser to yawn hard, too. Carole picked up Bowser and put him on the floor, and the girls pulled me up to a sitting position.

"Better go now, Daddy." Carole said. "Mommy is waiting for you, and you know how long she takes to get ready."

"Yes. Yes I do." I said. "But that's okay, since she looks so beautiful when she's done. Isn't that right?"

"Why, thank you, Mr. Silver Tongue." said Laura, who had just come up to us. The girls giggled mightily at that. "And yes, you need to get your rear in gear." Laura said.

The boys were watching the SEC Championship game on the television in the front room. A quick glance showed that Atlanta was a crime scene, and Georgia was committing child abuse of Auburn, who must've been having a hangover after the Kick-Six the week before. Greaaaat, I thought to myself as I headed upstairs. If the Iron Wolf had a bad attitude before...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The huge ballroom of the Civic Center was set up with accommodations for some 400 people. Because the EMS was relatively small, we invited them to have their Christmas party with us, and they'd accepted. Zoe Singer was particularly happy about that; it was another opportunity to rub the EMS's independence into the Fire Department's collective face.

Laura looked good, understated and tasteful, as she always did for the Policeman's Ball. I was wearing my uniform with medals, and a tuxedo shirt with black bow tie.

We got there early, as usual. We looked around to make sure everything was fine, and everything appeared to be. The open bar was facing the hallway just past the entrance to the ballroom, and just past it was an open room with a huge television monitor. Consider me 'not surprised' to see Lieutenant Theo Washington and his lovely wife Nareese watching the Conference Championship game.

"Hi guys." I said as I came up to them. "Are Franklin and Susie coming?" Susie was Franklin's lovely wife.

"I don't think so, sir." said Theo. "Were the judges invited?"

"They usually are." I said. "Though Harry Nance was pointedly left off the invitation list. So how's Eastern State doing?"

"Winning." Nareese said. "We're up 33-18 with a couple of minutes left."

"Cool beans." I said. Then I looked over and saw that Laura had not followed me to speak with Theo and Nareese. "Excuse me. I need to go find my wife." I went back to where the bar was, and Laura wasn't there. I went into the ballroom and saw her talking to Melina Allgood, who was wearing a dark blue dress. Laura was drinking a glass of wine. I looked around and did not see Daniel anywhere.

After a couple of moments to let Laura talk with her sister, since it was obvious she wanted to without my presence there, I finally walked up to them. "Hello, Melina, you look lovely tonight. Is Daniel here?"

"Yes, but I don't know where he ran off to." Melina said, a bit shortly, as I had obviously interrupted something. I said I'd go try to find him, and left his wife talking with my wife.

People began coming in, and I was relieved. Among the first were Todd Burke in a suit that made him look worth the millions he was. His wife Teresa was in her Police Uniform with full medals and a women's tuxedo shirt and female cross-tie. She was also wearing a skirt and high heel black pumps. Todd was a lucky husband, I thought to myself.

"My condolences to your Tigers today." I told Teresa.

"It became obvious very quickly who was going to win." Teresa said. "Where's Laura, by the way?"

"Last I saw her, she was talking to Melina." I said. "In fact, I probably need to go check on her, if you'll excuse me." I found her in the lounge room, talking to Melina, and I could see that my wife's glass had been refilled. Hmmm...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We formed the greeting line. First was Sergeant Hendricks, who was formally introducing everyone to the Sheriff. Then Sheriff Griswold greeted them, followed by EMS Chief Leonard R. Cordell and EMS Assistant Chief Zoe Singer, who were sort of together, as neither had brought dates. Chief Sean Moynahan and Nextdoor County Police Chief Molly Evans were next; they typically attended together. Molly had told me "It might be my last time as Police Chief, especially when the Legislature consolidates our Counties."

Next in line were Fire Chief Warren Davies and his fiancée Tina Felton, followed by me and Laura. My preparation of names and faces was again paying off. I used their names and asked about their children, and as always I could see a little glimmer in them that their Police Commander did have enough respect for them that I remembered. Like Loyalty, Respect is a two-way street.

Assistant Fire Chief Lew Stockton was next, and with him in line was his date, District Attorney Miriam Walters. According to my reliable sources (The Intendent), they were just friends without benefits. Too bad for him, I thought to myself.

After them came Cindy Ross and Callie Carrington, then Tanya and Jack Muscone. Next were Mayor and Mrs. Daniel Allgood, followed by Edward and Stephanie Steele, J.P. Goldman and Selena Steele, John Colby and Dagmar Schoen, and Susan Weston and Sheila Sorrells as each other's date but just friends. Ian McGhillie also came to the Ball, but chose to go through the receiving line rather than be part of it. He went through with his son Roy and Roy's wife Becca, and the pleasing bloom on her rosy cheeks spoke volumes to my observing eyes.

Paulina Patterson and her date, Michael Thomas McGill, came through the line. I greeted them both warmly, hugging Paulina and firmly shaking hands with McGill. Laura and Paulina exchanged a warm hug, but Laura was polite but formal with McGill. Hmmm...

Joan Laurer had brought Lt. Shane O'Brady, and he was wearing his formal Pottsville Police Department uniform with medals. Teresa and Todd also came through the line rather than being in it.

After everyone found seats (the placesettings had name cards), the Sheriff and Police Chief spoke the usual platitudes, and I made the toast. Then we ate dinner, which was good. As it was winding down, Teresa came up to the lectern. And we found out exactly why she taken it so easy on Joanne Warner about Auburn's win over Alabama... until now.

Teresa said "You may not know this, but we are required to provide you with (air quotes) 'entertainment' at the Policeman's Ball. So I'm calling up Lieutenant Joanne Warner to provide that for us."

Everyone applauded mildly, not knowing what to expect, as Joanne came to the lectern. She was carrying the bookend with the Alabama placekicker and holder. She said "As you know, Alabama did not have a good day with their placekickers last week." There was a smattering of laughter, then Joanne said "Commander Croyle and I had a small wager on the game, and thanks to the Alabama placekickers, she won."

Then she said with mock enthusiasm: "I lost! And so I have to read this poetry to you. It's called 'Ode To Tigers'." She allowed a look of sarcasm to cross her face as she began reading the lines, excerpted from Watterson's most epic cartoon series, Calvin & Hobbes:

"The zebra's stripes are lacking hues,
so they don't compare to you-know-whose.
Orange, blue, and white is what to wear!
It's
haute couture for those who dare!
It's camouflage, and stylish, too!
Yes, Tigers look the best, it's true!

Tigers are mean,
Tigers are fierce,
Tigers have teeth,
And claws that pierce."

Joanne then rolled her eyes hard as she very sarcastically recited some more:
"Tigers are nimble,
And light on their toes,
My RE-spect for Tigers
continually grows."

"Tigers are perfect
The E-pit-o-me
Of good looks and grace
And quiet dignity?!"

Joanne deliberately bugged her eyes when she recited the last line. She then recited the rest:
Tigers are great,
They can't be beat,
If I was a Tiger
That would be neat!
"

Everyone had been laughing intermittently at the poem, as well as Joanne's facial expressions as she read it. When she finished, she received a standing ovation, some of it mocking, but some of it 'RE-spect' for fulfilling her her obligation.

"And just one final word." Joanne said. "How 'bout them Dawgs!" More laughter broke out, though not as much applause. Teresa took it well, though. She stood up and man-hugged Joanne as everyone applauded some more.

Then Chief Moynahan got up and went to the lectern. "Is there anyone in here younger than me that remembers the Chicago Bears's 'Super Bowl Shuffle' back in 1985?"

Someone in the crowd yelled out "Go Bears!", which generated laughter.

Chief Moynahan said "As you know, earlier this yearrrr, some of our Airborne-qualified Police Officers and EMTs made a parachute jump. And a couple of Legs got to jump with us. Isn't that right, Ms. Croyle and Ms. Ross?" Teresa gave him a thumbs-up. Cindy just nodded slightly.

Moynahan said "Some of our Paratroopers have created a skit for you, called the 'Airborne Shuffle'. And since we are required to provide you with entertainment this evening, please welcome the Town & County Public Safety Airborne Shuffle Crew!"

To mild and polite applause, Robert Kalsu, his broken nose still bandaged up, led the EMS Service's Kevin Randolph and Ellen Brooks and the TCPD's Paratroopers down the entrance hallway and into the ballroom, singing a 'jody' as they slow-ran in two lines. They were also wearing trademark T-Square shades. Chief Moynahan had me and Chief Cordell join them when they got to the front, and we had put on T-Square shades, too.

The music to the 1985 hit 'Super Bowl Shuffle' by many Chicago Bears players (wearing shades) started up. We began shuffling in place as we began singing, yes singing;

"We are the Airborne Cops and EMTs
Of Town & County Public Safe-tee
We do our dance, and sing our songs
Thank God you guys don't have no gongs!
Now we're not here to cause no trouble
We're just here to do the Airborne Shuffle."

Julia Rodriguez started us off:
"It took three weeks, and several years
But I got Blood Wings, which brought me to tears
The Iron Crowbar slammed 'em into my chest
And now I'm one... of America's Best!
Now I'm not here to start no trouble
I'm just here to do the Airborne Shuffle."