Just Remember I Told You

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ephesus14
Ephesus14
886 Followers

Houston was about four hours away from us, but Louise and I concluded that we could deal with that distance and maintain our relationship.

And we did.

For six months. Then the trips to see each other and the phone calls began to get fewer and farther between.

We couldn't watch her on our TV because our cable provider didn't provide it. I could watch her online and often did. She had only been there three months and was moved from the news desk to a daily talk show where she and her co-host, chatted with guests and their studio audience about everything under the sun.

They also attended virtually every charity function in their broadcast area. Their pictures occasionally appeared in their newspaper and on the website and she appeared to be having the time of her life.

Oddly enough, so was I. The challenge of the growing business was ideal for me and I found myself spending less and less time seeing what Louise was doing.

The downside of course was sleeping alone; at least I was. I had no inkling that she was sleeping with her drop-dead handsome co-host, or anyone else, but with Laurie as my only point of reference, the thought of it was never far away.

One Wednesday morning, I drove to Houston to surprise her. I told my father I was taking the rest of the week off and going to see her.

"Does it have to be this week?" He asked.

"It's been quite a while and I think she and I need to chat."

"I'd prefer you wait."

"Can't do it."

Right after he and I talked, Jeff called and said he needed help that afternoon and asked when I could be there.

"I'm going to Houston. Be back Sunday."

"That will be too late."

"What's so important that it can't wait?" I asked.

"It something for Jenny."

"Jeff, I'm sorry, but I can't. I'm going to Houston."

Their show was live every morning. They spent their afternoons researching their guests and developing a plan for the next day's show. It wasn't like they just showed up, did the hour long show then went home; they worked full days on research and program development.

I got to her apartment just after noon. I figured I'd wait for her there, found that my key no longer worked. I rang the bell and there was no response. I went to the building manager's office and asked to be given a new key.

She knew me and greeted me warmly, but when I told her what I wanted....

"I'm sorry, but I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"We have a new policy that only the lease holder can authorize issuance of keys or admittance into the premises, and they have to physically sign for keys."

"But you know me."

"Yes, sir, I do, but the rules are the rules."

"Let me ask a question."

"Okay."

"Would it make a difference if I were her husband?"

"That would depend on who signed the lease. Only the lessee can authorize it. Period."

I knew a brick wall when I saw it, so I left her office and went through the parking garage on my way to my car. Her reserved space was empty. I called her from my car. No answer, so I left a message for her to call me.

She did. Just a few minutes later. "Hi, sweetie," she said when I answered.

"Hi. What's up?"

"Same old thing. How're you?"

"I was thinking of coming down this weekend."

"That would be great. I should be finished with the project we're working on by Friday."

"Good. What project?"

"It's one of the charity's our boss is involved with. We're developing a contest with lots of prizes for the biggest contributors. It's fun, but a lot of work."

"Are you working on it today?"

"No. I needed some rest, so I took this afternoon off."

"And what are you doing?"

"Just relaxing."

"Good for you. Get your rest and I'll see you Friday."

"Okay, sweetie. Take care. Love you."

"Bye." I tried to say 'love you', but it wouldn't come out.

I walked back through the garage, past her still empty parking space, to the elevator, got off on her floor and rang the bell several times and waited each time before giving up and leaving. For just a very brief moment, I was torn between leaving and continuing my stakeout and waiting for her. I even thought about calling her again and telling her where I was, but decided against it. She had made her bed and was probably lying in it; the problem was it wasn't her bed she was lying in, if that's what she was doing.

I left.

I took my time driving home.

There were two cars on one side of the driveway and two parked on the street. One was my parents' car, and one was Jeff's. I wasn't in the mood for company and since they thought I was going to be gone for the rest of the week, I wondered why they were there in the first place. I pulled into the drive and used my remote to open the garage door. Louise's car was in the garage. I got out and the kitchen door was opened by Jeff. He bowed at the waist and ushered me in then led me to the livingroom where my parents, Jenny, Sophie, Jenny and Louise's mother and brother, and Louise were standing.

Louise was standing in front of the fireplace surrounded by the others. Jeff nudged me toward her. Everyone was smiling except Louise. She just looked nervous. I went to her and she honest to God, knelt on one knee.

"Tim, I love you. If you're going to kidnap anyone, I want it to be me so we can live happily ever after. Will you marry me?" She asked as she held a small box up to me. The events of the day melted away as I opened the box to find a gold ring with a diamond mounted in it staring at me. She was still on one knee as I took the ring from the box and looked closer at it. I started to put it on my finger, but she stood and stopped me. "No, silly. That's the wedding ring. You can't put it on until the wedding... that is if there's going to be a wedding because you haven't answered me."

I looked around at the faces in the room, then looked at her. "Sure. Why not?" Everybody cheered. Romantic? Not in the least, but I said it with a big smile as I hugged her.

"You are such a jerk," she said after we kissed. "Picking today of all days to visit me. You nearly screwed up the whole thing."

My father patted me on the back. "We didn't know what to do. You insisted on going to Houston and Louise was on her way here. Even Jeff tried to stop you. We talked to her and she told us that you would most likely be back this evening, so we went ahead with things. What was so important that you insisted going today?"

I looked at the people around me. "Honestly?"

"Yes," everyone but Sophie and Louise said in unison.

Louise, spoke up. "Let me see if I can explain it." She took a deep breath and held both of my hands in hers. "The last couple of months I think we have both felt like we've been growing apart. Two separate lives and living hours away from each other. Both of us happy in our jobs and lives, but feeling like something was missing. I looked back over my time in Houston and remembered the parties, the fun, the people; everything I wanted out of life. My job is perfect, but my life incomplete. It's incomplete because I can't share those great parts of it with you." Tears were in her eyes as she continued. "I knew that if I had those feelings you would have them, too, if you loved me. The feelings of wanting to share with me all aspects of your life. The good things about your business and the joy you have when things are going well." She paused. "Am I right" All I could do was nod my head up and down. "I love you, Tim, with every fiber of my being."

"And I love you," I told her; and meant it.

That's when the party began. Sophie, Jeff, and Jenny were the last to leave. Sophie wanted to hug me so I picked her up. "Does this mean you're my uncle now?" She asked in a whisper.

"It does," I whispered back.

"Good."

After they were gone, Louise and I sat on the sofa, each with a glass of wine, leaning back relaxed, content to be in each other's company.

"Do you know another reason I went to Houston today? I asked her.

"I think I do."

"Why?"

"You were concerned about my living there alone and possibly getting involved with another man."

"Were you?"

"What? Getting involved with another man?"

"Yes."

"No. The only men I had any real association with were my producer, my studio crew, and Thomas."

Thomas was her co-host. "It's Thomas, I was most worried about. All those events you went to and your pictures in the paper. I was concerned and jealous."

She leaned over and kissed me. "Oh, silly. I could tell you that Thomas was gay and you had nothing to worry about, but that would be a lie. The truth is, he's the most egotistical bastard I've ever seen. He expects people, especially women, to fawn all over him. We worked well together, but personally, I don't care for him and he doesn't care for me." She sipped her wine. "I wouldn't lie about him being gay, but I lied to you."

I chuckled. "Yes, you did."

"My building manager helped. I was on my way here when your father called and told me you were on your way there. I called the manager and told her what was going on. She said she'd take care of it. She called me a few minutes later and told me that maintenance was on their way to change the lock on my door. She figured if you could get in the apartment, you'd stay and wait for me regardless of how long it took and neither of us wanted that. I thought I knew you well to know how you'd react if you thought I was doing something wrong, so that's the direction I took. I knew that if I gave you a reason, that you wouldn't stick around for details. Your experience with Laurie would cause you to think the worst and act accordingly. I'm sorry I mislead you, but I knew it would get you back here... here where I wanted to propose to you with your family present. Do you forgive me?"

That was a no-brainer. "Of course I do, and I'm sorry for my lame acceptance. I was in shock."

She laughed. "We all wanted you to be in shock."

"Well, I was." I leaned over and kissed her. I loved this woman, then I took another sip of my wine. "What time are you leaving to go back to Houston?" It was a four-hour drive and she had a show to do, so she normally left in the middle of the night. I had forgotten about her show earlier that day. "Or are you driving back tonight?" I asked. I didn't want to waste any more time. I wanted to get her in bed. Soon.

"Wellll," she hesitated, "let's talk about that. Today's show was recorded Monday. The shows for tomorrow and Friday were recorded yesterday. Friday's show will announce that it will be my last one because I want to go home to be with my future husband." I sat there looking at her. "That's okay isn't it?"

"Of course it's okay. It's better than okay. It's great, but aren't you going to miss it?"

"Yes, but I miss you more and I was hoping to convince my old station here to let me develop a show that would showcase local heroes, talent, events, and people. That should last until..."

"Until what?"

"Until the baby gets here. Then we'll see." I took a sip of wine. She sat there watching me. "Did you hear what I just said?"

"I did. I just didn't know Jenny was pregnant."

She shook her head. "She isn't, goose. I am."

"Oh. OH!!!" I managed to not drop my glass as I put it on the table and grabbed her.

Our life is great. Louise is back at her old station doing the same kind of show she did in Houston, only she does it without a co-host. Our daughter, Danielle is gorgeous, my father's and my business is doing well and Sophie can't wait until she can walk with Danielle and hold her hand to keep her from getting lost.

Ephesus14
Ephesus14
886 Followers