All Comments on 'Just Supposed to be a Summer Job'

by Hooked1957

Sort by:
  • 150 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Loved it!

Enjoyed the blend of fiction and reality, the family aspects, the interracial angle, and the NY geography.

stev2244stev2244over 4 years ago

Well, written, entertaining, I enjoyed it. Well done.

cordialddcordialddover 4 years ago
maybe your best...

You should try new things more often thanks!

litwjlitwjover 4 years ago
Great story

I really liked to read this story. Thank you for writing it

kelchakelchaover 4 years ago
Timely

Watched 'The Irishman' a few days ago. Can see this story expanded into a novel or screenplay.

Perspective alters perception. He sees Charley as a good guy. Ordinary people would see true evil.

Very good writing and worth five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Very well done

I give you 5 stars even though you confused Ames and Iowa City.

NewnotsureNewnotsureover 4 years ago
Very good

A very good read keep it up for sure

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
UI and ISU

University of Iowa is in Iowa City. Iowa State University is in Ames Iowa.

This big deal if you’re alumni of either because they are rivals!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Wish I could give it 10 *

Thank you for sharing this awesome story! One of the best I've read on here or SOL in some time.

GrimmerGrimmerover 4 years ago
Well Done

Kept waiting for it to go off the tracks but it never did. Seriously good story.

The Style GuyThe Style Guyover 4 years ago
Fantastic

Only in a Hooked1957 story does a college kid get to screw the mob bosses wife and live to the ripe old age of 60. Well done.

janandjustinjanandjustinover 4 years ago
A wonderful read

You did a great job with this story.

Thank you for this heartwarming tale.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 4 years ago
Bit of a change for you

So you go ahead and knock it out of the park, leaving it for some of us to be satisfied with the occasional ground-rule double. I hope your homer gave Charlie Figs the over.

steeltiger01steeltiger01over 4 years ago
Wow!

Seriously, wow. An amazing life story, and really well written and told. You've got a huge talent - thank you for sharing it with us.

I loved this. It's a mob story without the murder & mayhem, a coming of age story, a romance: it's a touch of everything, and it just works.

andyinozandyinozover 4 years ago
Really enjoyed this story.

A strong main character, other characters well-developed, and a plot line that I haven't seen before.

Thank you.

GeorgeAndersonGeorgeAndersonover 4 years ago
Very well done.

A pleasure to read. Thought you did an exceptionally good job of creating the environment without belaboring the setup. Have to admit my favorite character is Marty, and my favorite lines are:

"Do you have any idea how tall that man was?" Naomi finally asked after a gap of about a minute.

"Five-7, maybe 5-7-1/2," Stevie finally answered.

"Not even close," Naomi answered as she stopped crying. "As far as I was concerned, that man wasn't an inch under 10 feet tall!"

GA

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Aye god. I wish I could write like this. I could give a crap about Ames or Iowa city. They are both cow towns. This is a wonderful story. Really. Five stars. Twice.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Loved this story, very well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Creative and well written

An easy 5. But, having said that, (1) the introductory business with Angela was ridiculous. There's no universe in which a significant mob figure gives others the opportunity to fuck his wife. It's expected that he'll have girlfriends, but the wife must stay monogamous. A failure to do that would have deadly consequences for her lover and very likely her. If a capo or someone similar did what was described in the story, he would be viewed as weak, lose respect, and would become a target for others ambitious to push him out the way. How do I know? You don't need to know. (2) what did Charlie do about Sal? If a member of the crew does something like that Charlie has an obligation to punish. I don't recall Sal suffering any consequences for fucking Traci. (3) the racial "wokeness" was tedious, at times mawkish, and didn't help the story at all. The virtue signaling was out of place. Nevertheless, a very good read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
surprised

I was expecting something more erotic but I will say that it was a very well written story because I read it to its end !

johnadpjohnadpover 4 years ago
Leaders During Times of Great Pain And Turmoil Are Most Remembered

First, I'd like to say a great story, very well told.

Now for the reason for my subject line. The story was fast paced and a page turner till he settled into life with Jennifer. Really, when one is happy and things are going well, there is less drama and turmoil. So, when one is most happy and content, it makes their lives less interesting and entertaining for others. That's why presidents during times of prosperity and peace (which should be the goal) typically make the least mark on history.

5 Stars

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 4 years ago
This was really good!

You are rising to the top of Lit with your writing and plots. Keep them coming!

MedicalpeteMedicalpeteover 4 years ago
Good stuff

Mate, I am an Aussie and I don't care where you went to school, but I am glad they taught you to write. Really enjoyed this! Thank You. I look forward to more!

DogFuzzDogFuzzover 4 years ago
Well Done!

A different look at the criminal side of society. Often nice to see it from the other persons point of view. Top Marks.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 4 years ago
17 orgasms in under 3 hours....?

Maybe this should have been under science fiction

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Great

Another great story in this invitational . Have to thank Randi for putting this together. This was a great one from start to finish. I , too ,watched the Irishman and could see this in the same type story. I like reading about the mob, and I enjoyed your work.your work. You're in good company, and you deserve to be here.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
NICE.

FANTASTIC FAST PACED THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE STORY, IVE READ ALL YOUR STORIES AND THIS ONE IS RIGHT UP THERE WITH YOUR BEST, KEEP EM CUMIN, JUST 5⭐️, THANKS P.

kimi1990kimi1990over 4 years ago
Great story, Mr. 1957

Put some separation between yourself and the rest of the field. Write another, please.

@Harry. Your comments are slipping, fellow. Meds, Harry, don't forget the meds.

MightyHornyMightyHornyover 4 years ago
@Harryin VA

It's not that it's impossible to do...

It's just that too many men, just like yourself, never actually bother to TRY to.

C'mon Harry - be honest with us and with yourself... how hard have you EVER try to make any woman cum in the double digit in a single night?

... Just want I thought. But hey - at least, they were all still glad when you were done, right? 😉

MightyHornyMightyHornyover 4 years ago
Enjoyable mob tale from one of the bests.

Yep - that whole "Goodfellas" angle almost automatically made it a 5★ for me - what can I say, I'm a sucker for that movie! But Hooked1957's solid writing still brought it home anyway, so yeah - another winner!

Still, a part of me remains absolutely bother with Stevie, letting his penis take the lead, when it came to his re-introduction with Traci, and didn't focus all of his attention, from the get-go, on Jennifer, as he should have. It would have save him a lot of headaches if he never hooked up again with the woman that has already proved herself to be untrustworthy to him, get him earlier in the arms of the woman he was meant to spend the rest of his life with, and would have probably prevented someone (even a guy as deplorable as Sal Costa) from ending up dead... but, then again, if he bypassed his whole marriage with Traci, we, the readers, wouldn't have gotten to hear about what's going on with Henry Hill and Jimmy Burke. So... got to take the bad with the good, I guess! Still, the lesson, as always: don't make life-changing decisions during sex. It rarely ends well...

'Gotta say, though: I'm kinda curious about what happened to Traci, after Costa's "disappearance." You would think that, after her failed first marriage with a 'connected' accountant, and her second union being so brutally terminated, her overall reputation, around those parts, would be shot to hell, and she would have to leave NYC, since most people, especially men, would have learned, by now, that it may not be a good idea to be hitched in any way, shape or form with a woman like her. Strange, really - Hooked1957 usually have the Tracis of his tale eventually make some sort of a mea culpa to the MCs for their conducts during their respective marriage... but not so, this time around, with Ms Rizzi.

Also, the strange absence of any mention of Stevie and Jennifer's kids, during their anniversary, was quite bizarre - Annalise was made too big of a character, during the third act, for us readers to completely forget about her existence. Yet, that's exactly what the author did to her and her sibling (or is it siblings?) here. A weird omission that could have been easily dealt with in two short phrases - sure, Gary and Melody are probably very important, in the Tanners life, but I bet not as important as their own kids! So a reminder to all authors: if you bring up children, in your stories, don't make them invisible, after they've grown up - it rarely makes any sense.

Weird - all of those complaints, yet not a word about the singularly unique relationship between Stevie and the Bonafiglios... I thought it was sweet! Sure, in a 'ai'ght... whatever works for you!' sorta way, but everybody in it respected each other, so I could actually buy it. To think: a couple in an open relationship that genuinely love and respect one another enough to not play games and denigrate their spouse behind their back... Who would have thought? Such a thing sounds completely impossible if you read enough LW stories!

So yeah - another winner, author. Don't take too long for your next effort - always glad to read whatever you're giving us. And I think we're due for a good ol' BTB, so...

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Excellent "New York" Story

This is a well-written story that contained some cheating, revenge, true love and a loving wife with some of the complexities of life.

Keep up the good work.

T.T.

ribnitinribnitinover 4 years ago
Three

This was three connected stories. The writing seemed to get careless in parts

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyover 4 years ago
Very nice

Well done I really like how the ending sentence tied it all together.

Well written characters, story made a great reading time. Well worth the cost in time to read and comment.

Please do keep writing and I will keep reading.

RagnaarRagnaarover 4 years ago

Only got through the first chapter or so and the writing was so disjointed and wrong on locations that it stopped me. I am from Iowa and your locations are wrong. In the early part you mentioned one boy going to Ames for Veterinarian School which is correct and in the next sentence you reversed them. Then later you have him in Iowa City not Ames, The cities both Host Universities but Iowa city does not have a Veterinarian school.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I always wondered how anyone with much sexual experience thinks quantity determines quality.

Imagine the most incredible piece of pastry or dish of dessert you've ever had. Just delicious; perfect. Now imagine eating 17 pieces or dishes of that dessert, in three hours. Diamonds, children, marriages tend to be precious not by their quantity, but by their quality. I've had some really really great orgasms, but I couldn't tell you how many, or how many in one night, and why would I care?

It was a good story by LW standards, but the emphasis on physical beauty and sexual prowess while typical was a bit juvenile. It made your otherwise interesting and complex characters shallow and cheap. Then there's the problem of a man who makes his living in the underworld being so easily deceived by a selfish stupid self-revealing whore. Traci was damaged goods from the first time she dumped him in college, and he has learned nothing from his experience and her history? It would be like Sherlock Holmes failing to detect that Doctor Watson was a transvestite.

So congratulations for all the kudos you receive from the other McDonald's chefs. It was one of the better burgers, mostly, but still chopped meat.

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleover 4 years ago
Excellent!

Everything about this is perfectly done -- characters, plot, dialog, and the dipping in and out of the mob activities without really getting involved. Thank you for a wonderful reading experience.

Hans

oldcdawgoldcdawgover 4 years ago
Wrong City

The University of Iowa is in Iowa City, Iowa State University is in Ames

fananamousfananamousover 4 years ago
Porn Script

Reads like the story track for an adult movie; all be it a very good one. I would love to see the finished production. I m sure I would enjoy it as much as the story. 5 stars from me.

patilliepatillieover 4 years ago
Tremendous Hooked, that's a 5*

Really enjoyed that. Always like the mobster theme and you did it well. I almost thought I was reading a historical piece at times, as told from the inside. Good job.

49greg49gregover 4 years ago
Only read the first few paragraphs, and ...

I've got to say that as an Iowan I'm a little, well more than a little, Peeved.

In the first few paragraphs I read that Stevie was going to "The University of Iowa at Ames."

NO NO NO. Ames is where IOWA STATE lives. They are the Shame of Iowa. (Escept when their teams are playing anyone outside Iowa.) EVERYONE should know that the University of Iowa is at Iowa City. The Hawkeyes dude.

Now I'll go back and read the rest of the story.

ps Note that Iowa can be said to stand for - Idiots Out Walking Around.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Goodfellas

You did some homework on this pseudo historical tale. Big Paul, Jimmy the Gent, Henry Hill and the Lufthansa heist, et al without going into unnecessary gore . Don't normally see these sorts of things in Lit, much less LW. The surprise party at the end was a good touch, no point in putting Jimmy through all of that slut wife thing again. Thanks for a new slant, just haven't quite figured out if you really have a love or hate relationship with someone named Traci or not, something like Hitch had with the blondes in his movies . Signed: BTW

extemporeextemporeover 4 years ago
Improbable but outstanding . . .

As in another comment, you did your research for this story. I was impressed by the easy flow of the story and you development of Stevie's character.

Just excellent

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyabout 4 years ago
This was really good.

I loved the dynamic between the characters.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
5 stars

And I now I shall read your entire catalogue. 5 stars amazing story

BlackJackSteeleBlackJackSteeleabout 4 years ago
A Great Read

Well told. Well done. You've excelled with this story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Excellent writing,

... story development, character development. Make it perfect by avoiding the lie/lay problem:

“Traci gushed as they were laying side by side on Stevie's bed.” Laying eggs? But next sentence got it right: “Stevie was pretty pleased with himself as he lay in bed …”

tralan69ertralan69erabout 4 years ago
never made a mistake

I guess everyone from Ames Iowa or Iowa city Iowa never makes a mistake.

I didn't notice anything about the mix up in towns or universities, so I must be shit too.

I really did enjoy the story. One of the best I have read here.

I appreciate all of the authors here, doing what they do for others pleasure as well as some self satisfaction. And all for a thank you, or less.

Five stars for this story. Keep the great work.

Huedogg2Huedogg2about 4 years ago
very nicely written

enjoyed it, every single word

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Wow!

Wonderfully knitted story.

Ravey19Ravey19almost 4 years ago
5 Star Story

Wonderful writing and a well planned story. Well paced and a very enjoyable read. Definitely worth 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I couldn't stop reading -- Much better than the Ozarks on Netflix

Your plot reminded me of the plot of the Ozarks. Only yours is much better, without the danger or violence. You should consider doing some screenplays.

I only watched one full season of the Ozarks. But I decided that despite the extremely compelling suspense and drama, it also included too much violence to prevent it from affecting me negatively. It seems your writing here had a much better balance. The Ozarks' protagonist also made one bad choice of clients as a CPA, which spiraled out of control. Once that choice was made, there was seemingly no turning back or way out.

I'd have to say that your "cast" of your "crew" acted a bit too morally upright than is realistic. Evil is evil, and leads eventually to destruction and stupid, unprofitable actions. I contend that their morals are exercised only as a means to better carry out evil, not good. Anyway, great writing. (This is my one and only comment posted here, ever.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Ref: 07/02/20 Anon

I definitely agree. Seems like almost all the writers in hollywood, or netflix have to be so pc, that all the good writers have to entertain us slobs for free at sites like this. Good news for us perverts, bad news for society as a whole. Damn enjoyable tale, definitely RED wine and old lace. Thanks Hooked.

Schwanze1Schwanze1almost 4 years ago
Harry

Or maybe you aren’t doing it right. 😁

Seriously, with some girls, if you know what you are doing, that many orgasms is not out of the question.

Be the guy that gives a girl her first orgasm or her first multiple orgasm experience. She won’t forget you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Masterful Storytelling

Bravo, Hooked, Bravo!

Please write another.

meucimeuciover 3 years ago

Great story and very well written, 5 stars all day long.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

I wanted to give you 6 stars for this. Excellent read and very entertaining.

WisquejacWisquejacover 3 years ago

Always liked this one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Question

I feel for anyone going through anything like this but if he was so good at getting a woman off why would they cheat?

SELSTIMSELSTIMover 3 years ago
I Liked This Story

It focused on love, family and friends instead of a cheating wife. Thank you, Great Story

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Interesting start great middle terrible end

The sex at the beginning was good and then became incidental to a really riveting story. However the last page seemed like the author ran out of steam. The ending was unsatisfying to me, it was rushed.

jmmj5jmmj5over 3 years ago

Really nice story.

...and really good writing. It was a story I could take the time to sit back and enjoy. Well done.

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 3 years ago
Great Story, but....

But this glosses over the fact that our hero was part of a mafia crime family and no matter how much on the up-and-up Stevie was and how nice everything in this story was, still we have some hardened. vicious criminals playing lead roles here. You can paint over the crap, but it's still crap and it's still criminal. And virtually everyone in the story had some part in the criminal enterprise. Funny how you can wear heavy-duty blinders and not see a damned thing if you don't want to. Still a pretty well written story.

NitpicNitpicover 3 years ago
Decent

Decent story,though Jennifer must have had Annalise before Traci introduced them.

BobbyBrandtBobbyBrandtover 3 years ago

I enjoyed the story, but it seemed rushed to me somehow. I'm not sure how to explain it, other than I got the feeling that parts of the story were purposely overlooked for the sake of getting it posted as soon as possible.

Omart57Omart57over 3 years ago
Fantastic

story, Hooked! I absolutely loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Organized Crime is not necessarily evil. Amoral certainly but not always evil. Simply being a part of a family or group also doesn't mean you are evil or even necessarily violent. It varies by group, individual and personality. It isn't a simple subject that can be reduced to a simple black and white clear distinction. Yes there is crime and yes crime is immoral, it's not necessarily evil.

I am curious if that opinion surprises some of the people I communicate with. It will be interesting.

Wolf_Man_1962Wolf_Man_1962over 3 years ago
One Of My Favorites

This is a great story, one of my favorites. 5*

SkubabillSkubabillover 3 years ago

Thought I read all of your stuff then this little five star gem showed up

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 3 years ago

Great story! I had never it before.

5

WargamerWargamerover 3 years ago

What a fantastic story, one of your best, it had everything in it to succeed the way you wanted it too. I do not know how l missed this gem of yours.

Now to read your prequel that brought me here.

Scores a well deserved 5/5.

pepepilotpepepilotover 3 years ago

I was so engrossed in this story that I totally forgot that I came here so I could read the other story. I have a feeling that anything else I read will be measured against this fantastic tale. Congratulations on a story VERY well done!

terraknorterraknorover 3 years ago

Read this one again before beginning "Marty's Story" and enjoyed as much as I did the first time I read it. I've watched Goodfellas multiple times over the past almost thirty years, so, any time I read anything with Jimmy Burke in it, I visualize Robert DiNero who played Jimmy Conway (based on Burke) in Goodfellas. Thanks for sharing this story with us!

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionover 3 years ago
100 percent agree with pepepilot.

Great story. I won't talk about what I thought were errors because the story was so good that they didn't affect the body of the story

baulloyder68baulloyder68over 3 years ago
Again

I read it the first time around and loved it just as much the second time. I have enjoyed so many of your stories. Keep it up. FIVE*****

teedeedubteedeedubover 3 years ago
Great Story

I missed this one the first time around. Came back and read it after Marty's story. I see now where 'Traci' came from. Good Read, thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Just tremendous...

...first-rate writing. The art of turning simple writing (almost anyone can do this) into a story is a rare talent and gift. I can’t say enough about this tale. Hooked1957 goes way beyond being a good writer...I suggest he’s a great storyteller! Five stars ⭐️ for this one.

Kirk34Kirk34over 3 years ago
Holy Crap That Was Incredible!

I've never read a story quite like this one, it was fantastic. Definitely top 10 for me on this site, great job and thanks :)

marylandlinemarylandlineabout 3 years ago

re-reading this is an excellent story. I had forgotten why I rated it 5*

DarknsDarknsabout 3 years ago
Brilliant!

A great reading experience!

GillotineGillotineabout 3 years ago

University of Iowa is in Iowa City. Iowa State is in Ames.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Lost me when went to work for mob

No and hell no

Jtwheels USMC

SeaChangerSeaChangeralmost 3 years ago

Excellent unusual style biography.

NitpicNitpicalmost 3 years ago
Very

Very good story.

tazz317tazz317almost 3 years ago
A SUMMER JOB....A SUMMER PLACE.....PLUS SUMMER EVENTS

no matter, come what may,,,,,the. memories will for ever remain. TK U MLJ LV NV

anon49anon49almost 3 years ago

Second read just as good as first... Great story...5+ stars...

Freddog6601Freddog6601almost 3 years ago

2nd read and it seems to be as good as I remember.

Great story.

You knocked this one out of the park.

Btrying2Btrying2over 2 years ago

Second read and again I was captured by the words becoming immersed in the story of the characters. I felt for them and wanted each to enjoy life. The interaction with his soon to be daughter was delightful and quite emotional for me. Thanks for a great story.

cfumagocfumagoover 2 years ago
Loved it!

Thanks for the story: good plot, well written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wonderful story. Not a great deal of security if that's what your looking for. However it's a nice blend of sex and intrigued.

lukeshortlukeshortover 2 years ago

Good story. Plenty of intrigue without over the top sex scene descriptions. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

way too much americana for me ...sickening. baseball, baseball hats, cliches overflowing...

anyone know a site less plebeian?

i'm looking...

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

mehhh!

docrxdocrxover 2 years ago

You should make a book out of this.

Doc

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Forget the cry babies! This is an excellent tale. Well written with engaging characters and a great plot. Thank you for your time and talent. DMW

BabalooieBabalooieabout 2 years ago

Great story. Well done.

ChopinesqueChopinesqueabout 2 years ago

So good. Plot, characters, dialogue. It's all there and right. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Nice story. 5 stars. Only thoughts I had were what happened to the cheating slut, Spacy?

And why didn’t Charlie discipline his muscle, for stealing another family members woman? I can’t see, where this would have not caused an issue for his business.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous